Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "Other Sports" Thread

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Gonna have 20 quid on unders in the final NHL playoff game. Vancouver just edge it with home ice (adv) on their side but Boston are the better team overall IMO so it's hard to call. Home ice has been a massive factor up to now.

Interesting stat -

Home team in stanely cup final game 7 = 80%
    Home team in final game 7, wins 18 of last 19!

Gonna have 20 quid on unders in the final NHL playoff game. Vancouver just edge it with home ice (adv) on their side but Boston are the better team overall IMO so it's hard to call. Home ice has been a massive factor up to now.

Good stuff, 40 quid total I had on it. A single and double(as posted in the footy thread, Santos DNB was pushed) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭joebucks

fkiely wrote: »
    Tonga +29 looks good value here. +20 at 2/1 could tempt me also.

Nice call unfortunately I've missed out on most of this action. Will have to do some research into the Churchhill Cup final on Sat. I will be an easy enough win for England, the question is by how much. England have some quality players like Matt Stevens who are aiming for places in the RWC squad so will be out to prove a point

Have also missed out on the U20 betting so far- NZ were handicapped by 28 points against Wales on Tues and won it by 92..I hope some of ya's were on this. Will be interesting to see what handicap they are given against the Bargies.
    Some very high scoring games all round as pointed out by Will23 and I expect the Eng/SA and Aus/Fr games to be no different. Ire vs Scot and Italy vs Wales are best avoided.

Super XV is very hard to call this weekend. Alot of derby games and teams aiming to secure playoff positions- probably best avoided this weekend as there is bound to be a surprise or two.

I see Michalak is starting at 10 for the Sharks against the Bulls, it's a huge game for both teams..this could be a disaster or an inspirational selection so will have a look at in-running betting on this one to see if there's any edge to be had.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Will23

i find it hard to see the sharks cause an upset against the bulls, especially in pretoria. bulls have been grinding out the results lately, while the sharks, after an excellent start to the championship seems to be suffering from the jitters big time!

chiefs to take the reds (at home) is a good punt (reds missing too many big game players and qualified with home semi already!)

that aside, i agree super 15 this week is best avoided!

NZ are up against argentina in the u20's next, who wales beat with ease in the opening round, ya as you say should be an interesting handicap. NZ will just get better as players learn to gel more in a comp like this, but it will be very difficult to beat 92-0!! (Didnt take the -28, damn 5pm games!!)

Haven't been that impressed with SA, reckon england could take em' (although they have been poor also!)

• Advertisement

Will23 wrote: »
    i find it hard to see the sharks cause an upset against the bulls, especially in pretoria. bulls have been grinding out the results lately, while the sharks, after an excellent start to the championship seems to be suffering from the jitters big time!

chiefs to take the reds (at home) is a good punt (reds missing too many big game players and qualified with home quarter already!)

that aside, i agree super 15 this week is best avoided!

NZ are up against argentina in the u20's next, who wales beat with ease in the opening round, ya as you say should be an interesting handicap. NZ will just get better as players learn to gel more in a comp like this, but it will be very difficult to beat 92-0!! (Didnt take the -28, damn 5pm games!!)

Haven't been that impressed with SA, reckon england could take em' (although they have been poor also!)

The Bulls/Sharks game should be very interesting as both sides will know what they have to do to qualify as their game is on in the late afternoon and Waratahs will have already played. If the 'tahs lose then both sides are guaranteed a top 6 finish however if Tahs win then it will be a straight shoot out between the two and would have to fancy Bulls.

Stormers play Cheetahs in last game and will also know if they need Bonus point etc so that could be a very open game. Crusaders also vying for home semi so should be high-scoring game against the 'Canes--may do a dbl over 50 pts in both these games.

I see bet365 are giving NZ a 54 point handicap in U20s..I'll wait to see their lineup before punting. If they have Sopoaga and their other big guns are starting then I'll defo take them at this.

Eng/SA could go either way but there should be plenty of points in the game so will look at point spreads on offer.

Most of the bets have been going to form today- Wins for Reds, Crusaders, Waratahs but a big surprise as the Bulls lost to the Sharks. And NZ only managed a 33 pt victory over Arg in U20s

In under 20s RWC get on over 46.5 pts in Sth Africa vs England at 5/6 starting now..

joebucks wrote: »
    In under 20s RWC get on over 46.5 pts in Sth Africa vs England at 5/6 starting now..

Sth Africa you jokers..game finished on 46 pts on the button :mad:

Sth Africa you jokers..game finished on 46 pts on the button :mad:

joe, if its any consolation i had under 46.5 in bulls/sharks... two converted tries in the last 5-6 mins brought it to 49...!

Will23 wrote: »
    joe, if its any consolation i had under 46.5 in bulls/sharks... two converted tries in the last 5-6 mins brought it to 49...!

Very unlucky. What do you think of Stormers to win the tournament at 11/4? They have a home semi and I can't see any of the other sides going and beating them in Cape Town. They will most likely face the Crusaders in the semi's and then the Reds in the final.

Australia vs Baby Blacks on Weds should be a great game. Looking forward to see what markets are available in that. NZ will smash them.

• Advertisement

watched the stormers/bulls game the weekend before last and i was very disappointed in them! also duane vermeulen could be out for them!

crusaders would be a tough match, although they have not been firing on all cylinders like they were earlier in the season!

reds have been the best team all year but are seriously down with injuries and i reckon could be bullied by a big pack and the right game plan.

all the same stormers are the value (5/2 with PP)

ya cannot see the aussie's do a thing against the all blacks on wednesday, england should have enough for france too..

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭smacg

gonna have a double with Nadal and S Williams for wimbledon. combined odds of about 16/1.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭Nuts102

Niemenen to beat Almangro 13/10. Almangro struggles on grass and Niemenen said its his favourite tournament. James Ward 2/1. Should be full of confidence and Llodra has struggled and been injury prone of late. Grigor Dimitrov 4/9 former Junior Champ and never heard of his opponent.

A couple of bets I am going for today in the Junior World Cup:

England to over 25.5 pts @ 5/6
    NZ to score over 42.5 pts @ 5/6

Double €10 returns €33.61

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭fkiely

A couple of bets I am going for today in the Junior World Cup:

England to over 25.5 pts @ 5/6
    NZ to score over 42.5 pts @ 5/6

Double €10 returns €33.61

Should be alright with both of those mate. The only worry I'd have is that the English French game might be a tight affair. Couldn't call it myself and think the bookies have the odds just right. The only thing that did tempt me was under 43.5 points at 5/6. Went for a treble of Switzerland, Spain to win to nil and New Zealand -25 at aroud 7/1 instead. Good luck though.

Should be alright with both of those mate. The only worry I'd have is that the English French game might be a tight affair. Couldn't call it myself and think the bookies have the odds just right. The only thing that did tempt me was under 43.5 points at 5/6. Went for a treble of Switzerland, Spain to win to nil and New Zealand -25 at aroud 7/1 instead. Good luck though.

Nice Bet.

The England game will be touch and go and I reckon under 43.5 is a good call considering when the sides met earlier in the season England won just 19-8. However that was an English side without Owen Farrell in the side who makes a big difference to the English side. I don't really fancy the French so England should win by more than 7 but it is a semi-final so anything can happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Is there a Wimbledon thread? can't find one,

Federer looks on real form, -10.5 handicap at 5/6

edit, Dont bother now,

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Horgan wrote: »
    Is there a Wimbledon thread? can't find one,

Federer looks on real form, -10.5 handicap at 5/6

edit, Dont bother now,

Only bets i made on tennis is 2 accumulators

1. Nadal and Serena Williams
    2. Federer and Na Li

Really hope the 2nd one comes in.... @25

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

inforfun wrote: »
    Only bets i made on tennis is 2 accumulators

1. Nadal and Serena Williams
    2. Federer and Na Li

Really hope the 2nd one comes in.... @25

:( Na li was beaten earlier

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Ah ok...shows how much i followed tennis the last few days... :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Could be an interesting outsider with a never-say-die attitude. 80-1 with VC is valuetown 1-2 half

Have the Waratahs +10 this morning. Even with their injuries I can see it being a relatively tight game.

Have the Waratahs +10 this morning. Even with their injuries I can see it being a relatively tight game.

Tahs lose by 10 exactly. Just my luck of late. I'm finishing up until August to be honest. A bit of a break is badly needed.

Tahs lose by 10 exactly. Just my luck of late. I'm finishing up until August to be honest. A bit of a break is badly needed.

Very unlucky man.Beale missed an easy enough conversion with 5 to go then McAllister kicked a brilliant penalty from touchline 50 yards out to seal the win. It never ceases to amaze me the accuracy the bookies have selecting the handicaps in most of the Super XV games. They are rarely more than a couple of points out going into the final 5 minutes.

Really fancy the Crusaders for a big win tomorrow. They have Maitland back from injury who I'll back anytime tryscorer at 6/4.
    SB Williams back for Crusaders too and could run amok against a backline containing Terblanche, Michalak and Lambie (a 10 playing 15)
    Sharks also at huge disadvantage of having to travel from SA.

I agree about the Crusaders mate, should cover the handicap handy enough. Still fancy the Reds outright though! That match summed up my luck of late and I'm off gambling till August (going to work on a new strategy) so good luck to you mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Derek!

How come Sharapova sounds like a lunatic everytime she hits the ball?

Very unlucky man.Beale missed an easy enough conversion with 5 to go then McAllister kicked a brilliant penalty from touchline 50 yards out to seal the win. It never ceases to amaze me the accuracy the bookies have selecting the handicaps in most of the Super XV games. They are rarely more than a couple of points out going into the final 5 minutes.

Really fancy the Crusaders for a big win tomorrow. They have Maitland back from injury who I'll back anytime tryscorer at 6/4.
    SB Williams back for Crusaders too and could run amok against a backline containing Terblanche, Michalak and Lambie (a 10 playing 15)
    Sharks also at huge disadvantage of having to travel from SA.

didn't touch the match this morning, thought that the 10 point spread was too close for comfort! unlucky that they got you on the button!

not sure about the 'saders in the morning, i think they will win but havent been as destructively lately! they won big when the game was in london, but that was a while back, in nice weather!

sharks must have been impressive last wek to put away the bulls, although i do concede the bulls midfield is rubbish! and SA armwrestles can usually go either way with lots of garrowens etc...

on that basis, i think ye have convinced me that with freuen, sony bill, maitland and gilford, and if the crusders can get quick ball, the sharks wont live with them!

best of luck to ye lads!

I agree about the Crusaders mate, should cover the handicap handy enough. Still fancy the Reds outright though! That match summed up my luck of late and I'm off gambling till August (going to work on a new strategy) so good luck to you mate.

Yeah it has been tough to find a decent edge over the bookies since the regular football season ended and the rugby has entered its closing stages. It is always the way when the markets are limited as we are without as many options so less chance to find genuine value in games- though I am still kicking myself about not backing Baby Blacks -28 against Wales- Nap of the year that was!

Enjoy the time off and I look forward to hearing your new strategy- I already have one eye on the RWC!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Ljubicic hasa 3-3 record against murray. Surely the price on murray is too short. Im taking ljubicic at 13/2
    also doin an accum of
    monfils 2/7
    fish 1/3
    schiavone 4/6
    ljubicic 13/2
    10r returns 214:D:D

• Advertisement

Crusaders vs Sharks

Crusaders have been stuttering but this has mainly be down to injuries and fixture disruption, however when it comes to knockout games on home turf they always step it up. McCaw is absent but still plenty of quality in team to dispose of what is a Sharks team lucky to be in the playoffs. Sharks have plenty of firepower themselves so can see them notching a few points themselves so the overs should be good here.

Gonna spread €50 over the following bets

Over 46.5 points at 5/6
    Crusaders -13 at 10/11
    Crusaders -6 HT at 5/6
    Maitland anytime at 6/4
    Second half tries over 2.5 at 5/6

Scratch what I just said there..Just got a weather update- heavy rain and strong winds predicted. Looks like it will be war of attrition. Will wait to place any bets in-running. Sharks have a beefy pack so Sharks +4 at 12/5 could be the bet for this game.

Advertisement