Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

good place to buy hi fi stuff

• 06-03-2002 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭bruce wayne

Hi,

Does anyone know of any good sites to buy stero equipment (particularly speakers). I can only find Richersounds and Peats, but can't find what I want there. There are some good stuff on UK sites but they dont seem to deliver to Ireland.

Any ideas. The real crime is there's some great US sites that are selling lovely mission's, JBL's and Bose speakers from $100 ???

Any ideas anyone ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

I have to say that richer sounds is your best bet in town, they will generally get you stuff if you ask for it specifically.

However alternatives are Lyric Hifi (sister to ricehrsounds, put more upmarket), Clooney Audio in blackrock (seriously upmarket), HM entertainment in Blackrock and dawson st. normally have some hifi seperates and speakers

Does any one else know anywhere else, because I baught all my equipment through these there places???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

HiFi Corner (Beside Virgin) is decent for cables and mid range components.

Try Walrus.co.uk too, some very nice equipment. I picked up my speakers there and if they'd ship those they'll ship anything to Ireland.

• Yeah,
    I was disappointed by the lack odf decent hi-fi/homecinema shops in Town.A friend of mine has told me of another good one to check out but I've forgotton where(near the hairy lemon somewhere?) but I will ask and post back later.

Have Richer sounds got a decent sound demo room built yet?
    Last time I was in there it was pretty cramped-all the amps/receivers and speakers imaginable,but you couldn't hear any of them:(

As regards online try:http://www.homecinemaheaven.com/
    They do special offers for members of:http://217.33.154.203/forums/
    Thats the DVD forums across the water(temporary url,which may change as they are moving) To get the special offers you have to be a member of that forum and purchase through their Sticky in the bargain form.
    I have found prices ,even with Sterling and courrier costs to be cheaper than Richer sounds.
    There are many other on liners of course but this one is the only one I've done biz with so far and found them good.
    mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

that homecinemaheaven site doesnt seem that cheap.. was about €100-€150 dearer than richersounds (for a few marantz dvd players), before delivery.. though how much typically are those discounts you mentioned?

techtronics seem to be the best uk online store i've come across.. (uk richer sounds prices are usually dearer than the irish ones after conversion..)

www.etronics.com i've found to have very decent prices as well.. us site though, and shipping is a bit costly, though could be offset by savings.

maybe a few more urls and this could be a worthwhile sticky topic?

• Kali,
    They were around €80 cheaper than Richer for the Marantz sr7200.
    I wanted a pioneer dv646a (dvd audio) in early december.Richer said it would be well after Xmas before they would get one.
    My RXV620 was also about €50 cheaper after delivery.
    Marantz have put their prices up in the UK by £30-£50 in the last week :( However as is usually the case many hi-fi stores will have old stock-The HCH prices have gone up on their new stock.
    I got my order in days before that phew! They've added another £30 onto the black and £80 onto the Gold one!!

Their forum discount has been typically £30-50 stg on gear over £300 ie 10%

yeah I agree theres lots of places.Hopefully more will post here with their experiences,customer service etc :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Heres a site for cables, speaker stands etc based in NI. I've used them on several occasions and they provide excellent service and their prices seem to be good.

www.beyondhifi.net

Gandalf.

• Gandalf, they're good :)
    Am about to buy cables.
    mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

www.hificomponents.de is definitly worth a look..
    cheaper than richer sounds before delivery.. and they do a wider range of electronic products.. Denon & Technics are the two main brands sold.. Sony/Yamaha & Philips get the odd look-in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

www.hificables.co.uk
    Very personable, great searvice and range of accessories and the only place in the Uk/Irl I know of that stocks Auric Illuminator (try it you fools!...:)...)

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭ttcomet

www.hificomponents.de
    I ordered goods from this pace. The first half of the order turned up on time the second half is now about 4 weeks late.
    Any time I contact them they say it will be delivered next week.
    I think the trick is to make sure what you order is in stock. If it is out of stock then don't bother ordering it.
    Regards
    ttcomet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 General_Lee_Erudite

I have to say that if you really just want to see the top of the range **** then Cloney Audio in Blackrock(Dublin) is your best option.

I presume you are all familiar with Skywalker Sound, who have just recently fixed up all there sound studios with B&W Nautilus 801 Series speakers, which are available in Cloney BUT they will set you back 10,000 Euro a speaker. You and George also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

As regards Richer Sounds not having a demo room.....

When I lived in leeds, UK, they offered a 7 day no quibbles money back guarantee so you could demo. a piece of equipment on your own system and bring it back if you didn't like it. I took advantage of this trying out speakers (3 lots) and they were good to their word each time.

Richer Sounds may not be the ultimate cheapest anymore, but it's worth the extra few euro for an upfront, no bulls**t service.

I can also confirm they'll get anything you want ordered for you- whether they'll insist on your actually buying it first though......:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

I dont agree with the statement above. I have used richersounds on several occasions (all good) but when I tried to order a pair of mission 77ds's I was told on numerous occasions (by the manager) they will be in stock next week or I'll check our suppliers and will call you back (never did). They had they speakers on their UK site so I asked if he could ship them over... No was my answer.

I've eventually had to order them from the UK (to a friend in the UK).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

I dealt with Richersounds in Cork for the first time a few weeks ago and found them pretty good.

They didnt have the Mission m72s I was looking for so I went for the m74s with a pretty good discount. They had the rest of my order and everything was delivered the next day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

I bought a secondhand Panasonic VSA-E03 from Richer Sounds in Cork for peanuts. As a result I wasn't too upset that it didn't have a remote or come with a box.

They 'phoned me the next day to say that they'd found the remote and the manual, which they duly handed over to me when I called in.

Pretty good service, if you ask me.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭demac

Try also AV Imports on the Naas Road. They normally sell to the trade but every now and then seem to open to the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

What is the best no frills hi-fi system - eg radio,cd & tape?

Somerhing like for a bedroom - a micto or mini model?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

My Pioneer 100CD file changer is dying at the moment - so I've been looking aroung to replace and expand.

Am currently thinking this
    SONY CDP-CX455
    a monster 400CD changer - too big now, but soon...

Have priced it up
    Richer Sounds Irl €589
    Richer Sounds Uk website: not available
    Sony Shop: €569

This crowd (among others in the UK) http://www.hiwayhifi.com have it priced at stg£270 inc Vat and mainland delivery, but will quote delivery for all of Europe. Which is €422, even allowing €40 to ship, thats a saving of over €100.

So Richer and Sony Irl can kiss my...

For even more fun (and curiosity) I priced in the US at $299 - a massive $250 cheaper than here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Check this out....

http://www.techtronics.com/uk/shop/611-sony-cdp-cx455-cd-player.html

Doesnt include VAT, but delivery will be £25 sterling. Havent worked it out, but it might save u a few bob.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Thanks for that Mb, the price works out to be the same.

Have you used techtronic - I'd prefer to go with a company that people can recommend, if possible.

• Advertisement

I ordered this : http://www.techtronics.com/uk/shop/50-pioneer-dv-656a-s-multi-region-dvd-player.html from them this week. They seem professional, only unusal thing about them is that they ask for a scan of your credit card and a bill to stop credit card fraud.
    Im waiting for it to ship at the moment. Ill let you know how i get on if you want.

BTW, the DVD player works out over €100 cheaper than Richer Sounds when you take into account Tax and Courier Delivery.

Just to follow up. Recieved the DVD player yesterday :) Exactly 1 week after ordering. Was quite impressed with the level of service throughout. You can track it from the moment of ordering all the way to your door.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

dvd good good (test, don't mind me)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

I've just found this German website. They ship to Ireland for €22. I bought a car stereo off there sister company a while back. Excellent service and prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

www.hyperfi.co.uk are also dirt cheap..
    Another vote for Cloney Audio also..
    They take car of you no matter how much you are spending + have a good selection of second hand stuff
    Im not that impressed with Richersounds..
    Guy I talked to had never heard the Arcam 7SE or 8r, which were pretty common when I had them.
    Also their dem room is basically the storage room..
    Found the guys in Lyric Hifi to be v. helpful + he even told my dad wot the problem was with our TV so we didnt have to buy a new one..
    Hi-fi corner is OK..
    Hm is quite good..
    HAd alot of help from them when I was looking at separate systems..

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭demac

Lyric Hi-Fi and Richersounds are part of the same group/owners.

If anyone is looking for a new Hi-Fi, Richersounds have the award winning Denon DM-30 for €349. This beauty has won the best Hi-Fi award for somthing like the last 3 years or somthing. It consists of a CD player and FM Tuner.

Watch out that the version offered by Richersounds doesn't include speakers !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Thats because it doesnt come with its own speakers. Denon selected a pair of missions to sell as a package so you could buy with or without speakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

The best speakers money can buy (at a reasonable price) are sony pascal speakers SAVE835ED 140W handling per satellite speaker, 200W subwoofer Aluminium diecast bass reflex bodies and the sound definition from these is amazinglist price €969 can be got for around €900 in the sony centre blanchardstown where i got mine, they obliterate bose acoustimas and other half hearted efforts from mission etc. get them u wont b dissapointed

p.s. richersounds is gone bankrupt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Originally posted by Thumper Long
    The best speakers money can buy (at a reasonable price) are sony pascal speakers SAVE835ED 140W handling per satellite speaker, 200W subwoofer Aluminium diecast bass reflex bodies and the sound definition from these is amazinglist price €969 can be got for around €900 in the sony centre blanchardstown where i got mine, they obliterate bose acoustimas and other half hearted efforts from mission etc. get them u wont b dissapointed

p.s. richersounds is gone bankrupt

WTF!!!
    R u sure bout rs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

RicherSounds is gone for good €800000 in debt, shame.

Advertisement