Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Body Shape?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Azureus

What type of shape do you have to your body?
    Hourglass I think. Small waist, broader shoulders and hips.

Are you happy, or at least content, with your shape?
    I range from being very happy to a lil paranoid-depends how much pasta and wine has been consumed that week.

Are you more concerned or bothered by your body shape, or your general weight?
    Always feel like losing a little would be nice, but was skinnier for awhile and told I look gaunt/the bf tells me not to lose any more so I try not to let my own irritations bother me too much.
    Would love longer legs too-but like being a shortie. Catch 22!

Do you find it difficult to get clothes to fit, or look well because of your shape?
    I used to have an awful time with boots because of dancers calves! But theyve slimmed down a good bit since I stopped doing so much ballet.
    I would like my chest to be bigger (had 34c/ds at one point and hated how everything made me look slutty..now I complain I cant fill out tops the way I used to-us women will never be happy! :D )
    Other than that I think im fairly content-I love flowy boho style stuff but my figure doesnt suit it (makes me look preggers most of the time) so I just steer clear of it and go for more tailored clothes. All in all im fairly content-a lot more than I was as a teenager anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

I'm big enough up top to make shirts a little awkward. This generally gets solved by leaving several buttons open and wearing a vest top underneath. Anything that hangs straight down from the boobs without pulling in somewhere makes me look pregnant.

God I hear ya, shopping is a bloody nightmare with boobs. I never wear shirts, they never fit properly because if they fit on the chest they're massive on the waist:( Also, flimsy dresses that aren't very structured can make me look like a tent! Oh and those damn dresses that have the wee lines that are meant to sit under your boobs? They SUCK! That line always ends up sitting halfway across my chest instead of under it, it's like they think everyone my size has tiny chest!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,279 ✭✭✭Lady Chuckles

I'm hourglass-shaped and proud of it. I have round hips, a small waist and normal-sized chest :)

All my life I've heard people complain that I am too skinny and that I should eat more, but it has been tough because when growing up I suffered from constant tummy aches. There was only so much I could eat without the pain making me physically sick.

I eat a lot better now. I love food and I've gained an appetite :)
    I have even gained some weight of late. I'm still skinny but I don't fit in to my old (XS) clothes anymore (what a great reason to shop for brand new wardrobe!).

My only issue seem to be that I tell people I've gained a little weight, in order not to feel so judged... (I suppose it's celebrating in a way as well, since I've just been nagged at all my life)

... So now, instead of hearing oh how skinny I am - they focus on the fact that I have gained weight (little as it may be) and ask me if I am pregnant...

You just can't win, can you?! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Athletic I think? 34C - 27 - 37. Size 8. I'd consider myself fairly straight up and down. My boyfriend think I'm curvy. Then again, he thinks anyone over size 10 is fat. :pac:

Yes,it's not something that has ever concerned me. I like the way I look. I know that's not a popular thing to say though :o I mean, I've never said that to any of my friends or they'd think I was conceited.

No, my general weight has gone up about a kilo in the last three years. Age I guess! Maybe I could lose an inch on the waist. But I'm not trying hard. I have been sporty since my early 20s and adore food, but am really fussy when it comes to sweet things. If there's cream, nuts, lemon, coconut, fruit or jammy sponge in it I won't eat it! I get the "you're so skinny" comments as if I deliberately do it to annoy people. :mad: I happen to LIKE healthy food.

Do you find it difficult to get clothes to fit, or look well because of your shape?

Not really. Sometimes a bigger cleavage would help, but I actually think it would be more of a hindrance mostly. My thighs have been likened to steel by an ex! So I don't have super-skinny legs, but they are ok. I don't go for very short skirts.

What bothered me when I was a teen was spots. And my uncontrollable hair. Now, it's my white, melanin-free skin that is the one thing I don't like about the way I look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Malari wrote: »
    I'd consider myself fairly straight up and down. My boyfriend think I'm curvy. Then again, he thinks anyone over size 10 is fat. :pac:
    He seems quite the catch.

• Advertisement

Dudess wrote: »
    He seems quite the catch.

He is.

However, he's a bit of a hypocrite as he is always trying to lose a pound or two himself :rolleyes:. Everyone has a couple of things about them that are not the most noble. It doesn't define who he is and I love him because he's an incredibly good, kind person and I know I'm not as emotionally generous to people as he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Assets Model

Hermione* wrote: »
    +1 on not being able to use the curvy line. It'd be so handy! I put all my weight on my stomach/waist :mad:

I'm a boyish shape - narrow shoulders, slim hips, small bum, never put weight on my legs. But I have apple-ish tendencies as all my weight goes on my stomach. Mostly, I like my shape. I'm tall and I like my narrow frame. Even at my current heavier weight, I'm still a size 10 in most shops. I don't like my tummy at all

That was pretty much me until i started doing weights and eating paleo and i'm actually super happy with my body now. Way happier at 30 than i ever was before which maybe odd. I've just been through a break up now though so i'm verging on the too skinny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭beeftotheheels

What type of shape do you have to your body? I'd claim to be a 34B (which I am in the right brand which is the only one I buy, brands which make me either a 32B or worse, a 34A, are avoided like the plague), 25, 31.

Yes. Wasn't when I was younger but now I accept I am as I am, a dress that looks great on a friend or sister would make me look like heroin chic (of the "really on heroin" variety), but I've got used to buying what suits me now.

A few more curves wouldn't go amiss, I go with the padded bra option but draw the line at padded knickers (even though my bum could probably do with the help).

Nope, although I would second the complaints of other skinnies that I object to people commenting on what I eat - you eat a salad and you're not eating enough, you eat a burger and "aren't you lucky you can eat that". It is just rude, why do people view it differently to a thin person asking a larger person whether they're really sure they need to order that slice of chocolate cake? Both are equally rude and inapproriate.

Boots. Goddam it who do they make knee high boots for? Most of my friends find them too tight, I find them too loose, it is like they designed them for some "average" woman who doesn't exist. How tough would it be to have "leg width fittings" the same way we have width fittings on kids shoes?

Otherwise I tend to shop in the same stores time and again as I know they fit and they suit my style. Jackets and tops I could probably get in most stores, trousers and skirts are generally too big (since I view myself as too old to shop in Topshop).

I've made peace with my shape, my tending towards frizzy hair, my very pale skin, but I will never make peace with my feet. I loathe them. Then again, I'd hardly be female if there wasn't at least one bit of me I didn't like.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I am:

5ft 7 inches
    11st 8lbs
    38c/36d boobs
    mid thirties age

I do not have an hourglass anything, or dancers anything, or athletic anything, or any of the other adjectives that try to categorise or justify my body shape.

I'm just me. I try to keep my waist measurement under the health recognised maximum that exposes me to heart disease or diabetes. That's just about the only concession I make to body type.

And I'm sufficiently progressed in my job to make enough money to buy good clothes of excellent cut that fit me very well. It makes a huge difference.

How happy am I with my shape? I dunno. Do you think my stats are honest?

He is.
    Sorry, what I said was unfair - the view he holds doesn't define him as a person. It's just that, while people are totally entitled to have a preference for slim, saying size 12, 14 is fat is exactly the kind of attitude that plays a role in women having such crap relationships with their bodies. Size 14 is a bit overweight for some women, but other women of that size look great. I just hate how having a bit of an arse or a bit of tum or a bit extra on the hip is spoken of as being the same as very overweight. It's particularly unfair on young girls (and guys too when it's about them) - they can be so impressionable and it can lay the foundations for years, decades to come...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Sorry, what I said was unfair - the view he holds doesn't define him as a person. It's just that, while people are totally entitled to have a preference for slim, saying size 12, 14 is fat is exactly the kind of attitude that plays a role in women having such crap relationships with their bodies. Size 14 is a bit overweight for some women, but other women of that size look great. I just hate how having a bit of an arse or a bit of tum or a bit extra on the hip is spoken of as being the same as very overweight. It's particularly unfair on young girls (and guys too when it's about them) - they can be so impressionable and it can lay the foundations for years, decades to come...

I truly think that guys don't really know what size 12/14 is. In there heads they may think it's "fat" but I really don't think they understand the numbers!

My OH has some opinions on what he thinks is fat. He has 2 sisters and he considers one to be "chubbly" and the other isn't. In reality, the sister he thinks is "chubbly" is tall and broad but she has a very big chest, so she has trouble getting clothes and tends to wear big floaty tops which are not great on her, but I've been shopping with her and it's impossible to find anything for her top half that's both long enough and wide enough for her height and chest! She's only a 14 on the bottom but can be a 16/18 or 20 on the top half.

His other sister, who in his opinion is a "perfect size" is also a size 14 and is an inch shorter than her sister - she's fairly in proportion, and can wear anything she wants.

When telling him that his sisters are both a size 14, he can't get his head around it because they look so different bodywise.

It's ok, I got a bit defensive, but my comment was perhaps flip with that smiley face! He has NEVER said this kind of thing to anyone but me and I'd often haul him up on it! A couple of very close friends of ours are pretty overweight and he wouldn't ever dream of commenting on anything like that to them and they wouldn't know he thinks that way. It's really just that he finds skinny girls attractive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Thin to slim, depending on the amount of running and swimming I'm up to.

I'm happy with myself, and blessedly free of tum/thigh/bum hatred.

The only thing I'd really like to change is to be taller, I like my shape.

Shape no, height yes. I'd like to pick up something and not chop six inches off it, thereby changing all its proportions. Even petite ranges, few and far between as they are, just aren't petite enough for some of us.

I know I'm in the minority, and I'm very careful not to sound too smugly content when I'm in the company of some girls I know, as they often turn the conversation to bits about themselves they think need improving.

I sometimes get the feeling that if I wasn't small - this being an acceptable flaw - that I'd be the butt of 'skinny dismissal'. As it is I'm told I look like a kid, which isn't what a 25 year old adult wanting to be taken seriously wants to hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I reckon I've a slim body shape even though I've a large-ish chest, I hide it well.

I was happier as a teenager and in my early 20s because I could eat as much as I wanted without it going anywhere on my body. Things have changed now and I really wish I could tone up. I go to the gym twice a week for an extensive cardio workout and swim, but I would really love a flat stomach.

Only in terms of toning up. I weigh 8.5 stone which I reckon is normal for someone my height (5'5").

I find I cannot wear button up shirts or strapless tops/dresses due to my chest. It would appear most strapless dresses in size 10 are not made for a DD chest. I also have terribly awkward feet, where slip on shoes i.e. most pretty ones, just fall off me.

It's ok, I got a bit defensive
    No you didn't - at all! :)
    He has NEVER said this kind of thing to anyone but me and I'd often haul him up on it! A couple of very close friends of ours are pretty overweight and he wouldn't ever dream of commenting on anything like that to them and they wouldn't know he thinks that way. It's really just that he finds skinny girls attractive.
    Yeah, fair play - personal preference is something we can't help, and I do dislike hearing/reading "Don't be so shallow" comments directed at people who express their preference for slim/fit and their lack of attraction to bigger people.

Different story though when personal preference is accompanied by unkind, judgemental treatment of those who aren't the person's preference - whether overweight or thin (derogatory comments thrown at thin people, and the way this is kinda accepted, is terrible!)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

I suppose I'm somewhere between apple and hourglass, I've too little boobs to be a true hourglass and too little tummy fat to be an apple. I'm currently a size 16, but am fairly tall so I carry the weight well.

Far happier now than I ever was as a teen. I was always very slender growing up and I never had anything in the way of a chest, and was teased unmercifully by a friend in school. She brought the subject up with me a while ago, and apologised-she had a huge chest from an early age and was envious of me.

I've never weighed myself, I always judge by my clothes if I need to cut back on the goodies. I'm fairly happy with the way I look, although I could do with toning up a little. I would prefer if there was a magic button that would make my chest grow a little, not much, just enough to balance me out!

No, I discovered long ago what does and doesn't suit me, the only real problem I have is finding boots that fit(I sense a theme going on in this thread!) I used ot horse ride, and love walking, so I have fairly well developed calf muscles so I'm stuck with either flat or fabric knee highs. What I wouldn't give to find a nice pair of high heeled leather boots that wouldn't break the bank.....:P
    I truly think that guys don't really know what size 12/14 is.
    I don't think anyone knows! Like I said, I'm a size 16 at the moment, and I haven't had a single person guess correctly. That said, I have very good posture(if i do say so myself!) and dress for my shape, not according to the latest fashion trends.

I do not have an hourglass anything, or dancers anything, or athletic anything, or any of the other adjectives that try to categorise or justify my body shape.
    I don't mind those adjectives tbh - differing body types is a reality, and the health risks to, for instance, apple-shaped women are significantly greater than those posed to pear-shaped women. Using a recognisable shape is a good way, I think, of getting this message through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

I don't know what shape I am, don't think I fit into any of the conventional types. Not hip-py enough to be an hour-glass, but not a typical apple either, although I do tend to carry my weight on the upper-half of my body. Namely, the boobage!

I would say no, but then I don't think I ever will be. In-depth history of body image issues and all the rest. And I don't mean that in a fatalistic sort of way, it's actually something I've learned to live with and I'm a damn sight happier today than I was even a year ago.
    In the last year or so I've started doing a lot more exercise and stopped eating as much crap and have lost a bit, from a little over 10 stone to about 8st 8, which has made a big difference as I'm only 5 ft 1.

But even at the heavier weight I fitted into size tens, but my boobs were ridiculous, about 32G! I was very self-conscious and hated how they seemed to define my figure and limit what I could wear without looking downright trashy! Now I'm a 32DD and take a Canadian size 2 (I guess about a size 8 at home but haven't been home since I lost the weight). I'm sort of conflicted about the boob thing, while I'd love to have small and perky ones, I don't think I'd be 'me' without them, if that makes any sense. Though running can be a pain in the ass.

I'm weight obsessed, I'll be honest. As I have a history with eating disorders, I tend not to trust my own judgement when it comes to my figure sometimes and worry about developing a distorted view of myself, so it's sort of easier to rely on numbers.
    Though I'm definitely reaping the benefits of the weight loss now and feel a lot more confident buying new clothes and passing by a mirror these days. Exercise has increased my confident ten-fold, as I just feel stronger and more healthy overall now.

This is where big boobs can suck. Canadian women have no boobs! At least that's the impression you'd get from clothes shopping. All the tops are tiny and bra shopping can be a pain. I find myself buying the smaller jeans and the bigger tops just to cater for the ladies :) Sometimes I think the way clothes are designed here, I'd have an easier life if I had more junk in my trunk and less up top...but then in that case I'd probably absolutely hate my ass, so you can't win really!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

I'm an apple, maybe a pear. I've tiny boobs, but a huge stomach and beefy thighs. It's ridiculous looking :pac:. My mam is an hourglass, and I'm so annoyed I didn't get her body type. Even though we weigh the same, she "holds" her extra lbs better than I do - she looks curvy whereas I just look like a heap of flab :pac:.

So yeah, I'm both unhappy with my shape and weight, but it's more so the weight thing with me. I really need to lose about 3.5-4.5 stone. If I were a healthy weight my annoying body shape would be less obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

G86 wrote: »
    God I hear ya, shopping is a bloody nightmare with boobs. I never wear shirts, they never fit properly because if they fit on the chest they're massive on the waist:( Also, flimsy dresses that aren't very structured can make me look like a tent! Oh and those damn dresses that have the wee lines that are meant to sit under your boobs? They SUCK! That line always ends up sitting halfway across my chest instead of under it, it's like they think everyone my size has tiny chest!

Oh god, when I read rainbow kirby's original post I found myself nodding to everything, and then getting annoyed about this exact experience.

Find it so hard to find shirts and dresses to fit that don't end up looking like maternity wear. Found a lovely dress the other day, and it looked like it would fit on the hanger. No, as per usual the band was sitting on my chest making me look retarded.

I'm 5 ft and have a longer torso than legs (not that either is particularly long). D/E cup depending on weight so I find it hard to get clothes to fit. Would fit into a 10 in most things but as I said shirts are a problem and fitted dresses. Usually go for a 12 which I can wear but anything above that just looks like a tent.

Also have the problem of muscular calves, have built up a collection of boots over the years that do fit, but they tend to be few and far between. Found a lovely pair at Christmas only to come home 6 weeks later and found my dog had eaten one of them!

I also have wide feet, which isn't as big a problem as the other two but I find there are a lot of sandals out there that are just too narrow for my feet. Don't mind that so much, it's easier to get shoes that fit that clothes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom Girl

I'd guess it would be between an hourglass an an apple. My boobs are to small to be a true hourglass, and I tend to put excess weight on my tummy. It's a work in progress! Like another poster said, I look fine from the front but a bit lumpy from the side :p

I'm happy about most of it. From head to waist, and then legs is fine. Just my tummy/hips I have issues with. I have a bit of a muffin top, which is my main body insecurity because it doesn't fit in with the rest of me, as I'm quite slim (size 8/10) everywhere else.

My body shape. I thankfully don't have weight problems. Until my metabolism slows down that is :rolleyes:

Most clothes I am fine with, except for A line dresses which make me look pregnant. I like empire line dresses, and things that go in at the waist and skim over hips, etc. My waist is one of my best features so I try to accentuate it when possible. The only thing I really have problems with are shoes, as my feet are really narrow and a lot of shoes are too big at the heel, or too wide in general

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

... or your general weight?

Yes, I like my body shape, but my GP would have me add a half stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭lace

I guess I'm an hourglass shape. Small waist, wide hips and shoulders.

I'd say I'm fairly content with my shape. At times when I'm having a bit of bloating or put on a little bit I'll throw a little wobbly but other than that I'm generally quite happy.

I'm not particularly concerned by either (probably because I'm young) but I think I would probably be more bothered about my general shape. You can be heavy and still have a fab figure.

I often find it really difficult to find clothes to fit me in the chest area. Tops or dresses that are structured around there always look ridiculously baggy on me because of my tiny boobs. I also find it difficult to find jeans to fit. I'm not exactly sure why but it's always that they're very tight in the thighs and way too loose in the waist (especially at the back). That's probably why i've taken to wearing extremely high waisted jeans of late. They're absolutely brilliant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Queen Louise

I have stumpy legs and a big arse...trying to sort it out but I just cannot resist that extra muffin...one moment on the lips, 3 months on the hips though girls hehe

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Hedwig

I'm not entirely sure, I suppose I'd be an hourglass figure (I think!) but my stomach is more of an apple! Small waist, big hips and broad shoulders and large boobs 34DD. On average I'd be a size 10 but it really depends on the clothes and the shop sometimes I'm an 8 and others I'm a 12

If I'm honest I'm not really happy with my shape at the moment, I'm very self critical and I'm just hoping that one day I'll grow out of it as I'm only 17. I'm actually trying to lose a few pounds at the moment through cleaning up my diet and running but nothing drastic. I would love for my boobs to be a bit smaller though!

I'd be more concerned about numbers on the scales as I know when I go above a certain weight I'm unhappy with my shape, as an extra few pounds does seem to make a huge amount of difference to my shape.

No not really except for the boob department! I can't wear shirts as they never fit, if they fit up above the waists are huge and vica versa. And skinny jeans used to be a nightmare until I discovered Bershka jeans; they were always either too long, too baggy or too tight!

Actually reading over that it looks like I really dislike my body which I don't actually! Despite having short legs I have relatively slim legs which I've been complimented on by my friends a couple of times which makes me feel great as I'm generally very insecure about my body.

I didn't know that such a small compliment could make you feel so good. It shows that a little really does go a long way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

General note for thread: an hourglass is having hips and bust measurements that are the same, and a noticeably smaller waist - over 9 inches smaller. For instance, 36-24-36. It is allegedly the most desirable female figure. In reality, 8% of women are hourglass shapes. Kelly Brooke, mentioned earlier, is a true hourglass based on her measurements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

I'm 36-28-41 @5'6", with proper curves that I've learnt to love as I get older. Practically speaking I'm at very low risk of diabetes, heart disease, most likely have high oestrogen levels and good fertility (yet to be challenged :pac:).

I'm heavy for my size but I have low body fat and I put little stock in numbers on the scale. In fact my BMI is in the overweight category. lol tbh.

I used to have major issues with my body, but I've mostly left them behind. I still get a little bit frustrated with the wobbly bits but for the most part I'm very happy with what I have. My sport has gone a long way towards appreciating what my body can do and that mostly over-rides any lingering annoyances I have over the less desirable parts. Big hips and a large Q-angle might be a pain to get jeans to fit properly but they make for excellent explosive power :pac:

A couple of months ago in a moment of madness I got a photographer friend of mine to do some (very tasteful :p) nekkid photos of me - when I saw the end result I found them very hard to look at initially, I zoned in on the bits I didn't like being displayed in all their glory (or lack thereof) but now I really like them and I can look at them and find it very empowering to be able to see the things I like before the things I'd try and change. I'd actually encourage anyone to do the same if the chance ever presents itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Pillar shape, I'm a size 8 and 8st but I'm 5ft 10

It's alright, could do with putting on a bit of weight but can't, despite eating more than anyone else in the house.

Wouldn't be too healthy for me to lose any weight...

Clothes look well enough when I can get them to fit. They are usually too big at the waist and fit on the leg and visa versa. Same for tops, too short on arms but fit figure or too baggy but fit arms...
    Ah well, you can't have it all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Skintwin

I have a very large sort of hourglass shape to me...I'm a size 18 (top)/ 20 (bottom) so it's about as hourglass as you can get at that size. I also have a J. Lo ass, but it's not as nice!
    I'm not happy with my weight, but I'm not unhappy ALL the time either. It's ok I suppose.
    Shape. Definitely my shape.
    I do find it difficuly to get clothes to fit properly, because jeans that fit my ass don't necessarily fit my waist, and most of the tops I've tried on lately are too small across my bust...a VERY common problem. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

According to some website quiz, I'm an apple. I suppose that's in or about right, because I carry most of my weight around my middle.
    I'm not; and I should be. I get plenty of compliments on it, but when I look in the mirror I tend to see things that aren't there. I was chubby when I was younger and I still find it hard to break free of that particular mindset. I know myself I look great- I weigh 8.5 stone and wear a size 8 or 10, but all my weight goes to my stomach and I'm quite paranoid about it.
    My body shape, because as I said all my weight goes to my stomach. I'm slender but I have love handles and a muffin top I can't get rid of. My legs and arms are very thin, and I have no arse, but a belly.
    I will occasionally buy fitted trousers or leggings in a larger size because I am paranoid about my stomach spilling over the top. Occasionally I'll need to get tops in a larger size to accommodate my C cups.

Advertisement