Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Body Shape?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Miss Olenska

I'm 5'7", hourglass shape with a long torso.

How do you know if your torso is long? Genuine question. :) I think I might be long torso-ed, I'm not sure.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

How do you know if your torso is long? Genuine question. :) I think I might be long torso-ed, I'm not sure.

If your legs are relatively short for somebody of your height, then it's a fairly safe assumption that you have a long torso. I'm a bit of a case in point - 5'6" but I take a short leg in jeans quite a lot of the time.

If your legs are relatively short for somebody of your height, then it's a fairly safe assumption that you have a long torso. I'm a bit of a case in point - 5'6" but I take a short leg in jeans quite a lot of the time.

Hmmm, well I'm 5'3.5" and usually take the shortest leg too but I'm short in general so my torso probably isn't disproportionately long. Interesting to know anyways.

Hmmm, well I'm 5'3.5" and usually take the shortest leg too but I'm short in general so my torso probably isn't disproportionately long. Interesting to know anyways.

I'm the same height as you and take short leg trousers but I would have longer legs in comparison to my torso which means straps are always too long and fall off my shoulders :o

I'm the same height as you and take short leg trousers but I would have longer legs in comparison to my torso which means straps are always too long and fall off my shoulders :o

Well, that sounds like a good shape, in proportion!

• Advertisement

Well, that sounds like a good shape, in proportion!

My arse would disagree :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

There's a formula something like... if you can fit 2 hand widths beneath your bust and natural waist line you are 'normal', if it's less than 2 hands you're short and more than 2 hands you're long torso.

I can fit 2 and a half.

All (well most) of the women on my mothers side of the family have long torsos and we all have problems finding tops that are long enough. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭IrishEyes19

Early twenties now and happy enough with how I look. God I wish though I had seen the sense in my teens to feel the same. Influence of peers, magazines and tv is riddiculous when I look back on it.
    I wasnt perfect, no one is, and everyone has their own issues be they thin or heavy. But in the majority of cases that be sorted out with a healthy lifestyle change and just geninune encouragement and enthuasiam I think.

My actual advice to anyone feeling down about them selves because of their bodyshape is there is always a way to look better and most importantly feel better. first step is to ask for help. be it family or professional motivation. the stress and lack of self confidence in very young girls particularly is equally as worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

I always thought I had a long torso but going by that formula I apparently don't!...........i'm 5 ft 7 1/2 and find it hard to get dresses to fit me......for example if you check out the models on asos who are are 5ft 10 and I order the same dress, it's always shorter on me than it is on them, there are certain brands of dresses that I cannot wear at all because they barely cover my bum :)

I don't think I have particularly long legs either so I don't know what it is!!

Tayla wrote: »
    I always thought I had a long torso but going by that formula I apparently don't!...........i'm 5 ft 7 1/2 and find it hard to get dresses to fit me......for example if you check out the models on asos who are are 5ft 10 and I order the same dress, it's always shorter on me than it is on them, there are certain brands of dresses that I cannot wear at all because they barely cover my bum :)

I don't think I have particularly long legs either so I don't know what it is!!

Oh that formula is just a quick rough guide. I think there's a more precise one but you'd need a measuring tape and it has something to do with measuring the distance from shoulders to waist and waist to hips. I forget. :o

I remember your post in F&A. I think most dresses are designed on a standard height of 5'5" or 5'6". I have an awful time finding tops that cover my lower back or dresses that cover my bum :P I dunno how those taller models do it! They must be photoshopping the dresses!! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

I remember your post in F&A.

Haha yep that was me alright......story of my life....I see a dress and I say oh that looks like it will fit me and be an ok length...I try it on and it's like "oh hello ass" :)
    I think most dresses are designed on a standard height of 5'5" or 5'6". I have an awful time finding tops that cover my lower back or dresses that cover my bum :P I dunno how those taller models do it! They must be photoshopping the dresses!! :P

I tend to wear longline tops, it's so annoying isn't it, it's such an awkward height for girls! They must photoshop them because if not then I don't understand how they could possibly fit them.

Tayla wrote: »
    Haha yep that was me alright......story of my life....I see a dress and I say oh that looks like it will fit me and be an ok length...I try it on and it's like "oh hello ass" :)

I tend to wear longline tops, it's so annoying isn't it, it's such an awkward height for girls! They must photoshop them because if not then I don't understand how they could possibly fit them.

Yeah it's so awkward! Too tall for the regular lines, too short for the tall lines!
    I find Oasis good for dresses but a lot of their tops just barely go past my tummy button so I have a 2 inch gap before the waist of my jeans :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

What type of shape do you have to your body?
    Slightly pear, probably, but very close to hour glass. I don't have big hips, but rather a 'Brazilian' behind which adds to the measurements on my lower half. I have a very narrow waist/torso, but my chest is a D-DD. It doesn't look it though because I'm so narrow in the torso (I wear a 30DD in strapless and a 32D with straps). I'm 5'7 and a size 6 in waist/torso, 8 in hips/bottom

Are you happy, or at least content, with your shape?
    Yes! I consider myself lucky because I'm really happy with my body. I'm slim, but curvy enough and well toned thanks to being involved in gymnastics and swimming from a young age. I'm on my feet most of the day and dance at night/do toning exercises for my legs, arms and abs that I learned as a gymnast. I don't do formal gyms or lift weights too much. I prefer my gymnastics conditioning exercises.

Are you more concerned or bothered by your body shape, or your general weight?
    I almost never weigh myself. Don't see the point. To me, a number can't really tell you much. So I guess body shape would be the winner by default.

Do you find it difficult to get clothes to fit, or look well because of your shape?
    Sometimes. I'm an unusual bra size because of my proportions, so I often have to order online, which can be a crapshoot. I don't have too much trouble with pants or jeans. No matter how you cut it, I'm slim, so a size 8 will fit me just fine. But with slim fitting dresses, I have to buy the right 'brands,' - i.e. the ones made for women who are bit curvier on the backside. I hate the idea of spending even a little extra to get something tailored, including time. It's such a headache having to go in and get measured and wait for them to make the adjustments. So I tend to go for dresses/skirts that are high waisted and full.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Villette

Fairly hourglass. I'm 5ft5 with measurements 25inch waist and 35inch inch hips. Unfortunately my chest is getting smaller, I'm now a 32C, so although I have the outline of an hourglass, I've lost the chest!

I'm quite happy. There are always things that could be improved - I wish my thighs looked more toned and I hate my upper arms, and now my chest is tiny - but I try to concentrate on the good parts! I have a flat stomach and a small waist and I really like my legs so I wear things that emphasise these! I used to be a size 12 and I hated the way I look so now I appreciate my figure more. Having said that, it has also made me realise that I looked fine before too and I wish that I had had the confidence to realise that. I've always loved fashion but I never felt I could wear what I wanted before so now that I can look back and see that I was being ridiculous, I try not to let myself say that I can't wear something now! I still don't like wearing anything sleeveless though, which I have to work on!

Body weight. I put on weight in a healthy way at least so I'm always happy enough with my shape - and my stomach is the last bit to carry any weight so from a health perspective I'm lucky. From a looks perspective I'd worry about body weight because it doesn't suit my frame and I put weight on my face!

Do you find it difficult to get clothes to fit, or look well because of your shape?
    I'm a size 8-10 depending on the item. I'm always a 10 in anything that sits on the hips - so trousers and jeans. I often find that dresses are too big on the waist in the 10 but the size 8 will strain across my chest and arms. I live in dresses and skirts anyway and just add a ribbon or belt if I need shape! I like River Island sizing, but I find Topshop is more suited to tall, thin people, and Awear clothes - besides being vanity sized - ALWAYS look wrong on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭desolate sun

I used to have a straight up and down figure but since I put on a few pounds, it's a slight hourglass. I have breasts and a curvy hip area now but i would still be size 8-10. Im 5'7" but my shoulders are broad. 
    I'm happy enough. For years I had an eating disorder and hated my body. So now I actually like my body. I get complimented on my figure which is nice and I don't mind saying that. But I take care of myself and don't allow myself to go overboard with eating

Probably general weight. I don't let myself put on too much weight. It's probably a leftover from the disorder but also we all know how hard it is to get it off!

I'm ok. I'm either an 8 or 10 so I'm ok. But because of my broad shoulders it's sometimes hard to not look big. Like if I wore a baggy t-shirt I'll look big so I tend to wear fitted stuff to show I have a waist! I envy narrow shouldered women - they nearly always look slim even if they're overweight.
    I used to have a problem getting trousers/jeans to fit cause I have long legs but that's not a problem now with all the extra lengths.

But ladies we have to love our bodies. I despair at how when I was younger the trauma I put my body through. We need to be like those African ladies who embrace their beautiful functioning bodies. They might be far from perfect but that doesn't stop them loving what they have.

Villette wrote: »
    and Awear clothes - besides being vanity sized - ALWAYS look wrong on me.

Oh my God, A-Wear are SO bad for vanity sizing!

Oh my God, A-Wear are SO bad for vanity sizing!

What's vanity sizing?

What's vanity sizing?

It's where clothes are marked as a smaller size than they actually are to give the wearer a sort of ego boost. It is rampant in high street shops. So, a size 12 is marked as a size 10 for example. I absolutely swim in A-Wear size 12 but my measurements indicate that I am a size 10-12. I shouldn't be swimming in a size 12. I use my measurements to figure out my size.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanity_sizing

Oh yeh a wear are brutal for that, I buy 10s in there and I'm definitely not a 10! It's a stupid concept!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

That vanity sizing thing seriously pisses me off. In Awear I don't fit into a size 6 in many of their clothes. And I'm an 8-10. Dorothy Perkins is the same...grr!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Supermummy

ya im a size 12 jeans in awear and i squeese into a size 14 in riverisland

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Rosedust84

I'm a size 10/12. I go through a love/hate thing about my body, Im not long after a having my baby and I feel like my tummy shape is ruined for life :-P I hate my stomach and thighs but I feel like if I exercise more I'll be happier..

What bothers me is every magazine I pick up, and so many tv shows are full of how to lose weight and get fit. We're living in a world where it's thought you have to be superskinny to be happy, nothing new I know. I had an eating disorder as a teen and I'm finally happy with my body, and I mightn't be a midget but I'd actually hate to loose any weight I'm happy the way I am even though I look in the mirror some days and think..."help!"

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭nessy382

I'm 8 and half st and im quiet happy with my body all i need is to tone up which im working on at the moment..

not quiet happy with my chest thought its quiet small :(

everything else is grand though.. :)

Advertisement