Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Senna

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

Did it say when it's released?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

It didn't. I'd imagine soon enough. It seems to have had a release in some areas already. Although, the people speaking before it claimed the people in the cinema were some of the first to see it!? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,277 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

First week in June as far as I know. Really looking forward to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,031 ✭✭✭✭bnt

The IFI showed the trailer a month or so ago, so I'm pretty confident they'll be showing it. Looked freaking amazing too. The guy was not human, he was something else.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

bnt wrote: »
    The IFI showed the trailer a month or so ago, so I'm pretty confident they'll be showing it. Looked freaking amazing too. The guy was not human, he was something else.

Absolutely. I'd imagine it'll get a full cinema release though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Saw it a few months back and I thought it was very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭Catcher7791

It's supposed to open at the IFI on 3 June, probably in Cineworld too.

Saw it yesterday. It's very good, and I'm saying that as someone who sees no difference between watching Formula One and cars going round a roundabout for three hours. It deserves a bigger audience than just F1 heads, hope it gets it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

It's supposed to open at the IFI on 3 June, probably in Cineworld too.

Saw it yesterday. It's very good, and I'm saying that as someone who sees no difference between watching Formula One and cars going round a roundabout for three hours. It deserves a bigger audience than just F1 heads, hope it gets it.

Nice! Looking forward to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

It's out here on the 3rd of June. The Omniplex cinema's will be showing it but I don't know if every one of them will be. I'm guessing other cinema's will be showing it too.

There's a whole thread about this film over in the Motorsport forum for those who are interested http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056023007

I'm a huge F1 fan myself and Senna was my favourite driver. Looking forward to seeing this but not looking forward to seeing it at the same time for obvious reasons!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Sraw

Looking forward to this. Look like it's going to be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭Paleface

This is a fantastic documentary. Essential viewing for anyone who's ever watched F1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭Randy Shafter

Went to see this documentary last night with a friend. It was brilliant! I was on the edge of my seat with some of the racing footage and the audience really enjoyed it too. Anyone else see it? What did you think of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I'd go if I knew of somewhere showing it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,716 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm not a racing fan, but enjoyed it. I liked some of the decisions the filmmakers made - like keeping all interview footage voice only and keeping intensely focused on the archive footage. My racing fan friend pointed out it didn't say much about his colourful personal life, but we both sort of found that a strength - kept the film focused on the story.

My one problem with it, and one that definitely holds it back from being something special, is that it felt one-sided. This was simply eulogising at times - it was largely uncritical of Senna. Kind of like the Bill Hicks documentary recently, it seems like it's preaching to the converted at times, holding Senna up as a hero. There's nothing wrong with that, and he certainly seems like a damn good driver, but the result is a documentary that merely seems informative rather than insightful.

It's an entertaining portrait of a fascinating individual, but tbh didn't think it was much more than that.

Minstrel27 wrote: »

Cineworld on Parnell Street are showing it.

I'm not a racing fan, but enjoyed it. I liked some of the decisions the filmmakers made - like keeping all interview footage voice only and keeping intensely focused on the archive footage. My racing fan friend pointed out it didn't say much about his colourful personal life, but we both sort of found that a strength - kept the film focused on the story.

My one problem with it, and one that definitely holds it back from being something special, is that it felt one-sided. This was simply eulogising at times - it was largely uncritical of Senna. Kind of like the Bill Hicks documentary recently, it seems like it's preaching to the converted at times, holding Senna up as a hero. There's nothing wrong with that, and he certainly seems like a damn good driver, but the result is a documentary that merely seems informative rather than insightful.

It's an entertaining portrait of a fascinating individual, but tbh didn't think it was much more than that.

It was a bit one sided but I thought that helped in a way. We got to see how he could be behind the scenes. And at times he was quite stroppy, wanting it his way and I think that shows in some scenes. Especially when he was talking to race supervisors etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Minstrel27 wrote: »

It's on in Vue in Liffey Valley.

Went to it last night. Leaving aside whether it was one-sided, I thought as a film it was brilliantly put together, great editing together of the footage to make a compelling narrative arc. Some very poignant interviews with Senna and his family about the dangers faced by F1 drivers and some really harrowing (but not exploitative) footage of some horiffic F1 crashes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,277 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I wanted it to show more of his skills and abilities - more highlights of his great races.

Felt more a documentary of his career rather than of him.

Still very very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 angelinalove

This movie is good, i usually like sports related movie but not too much. and its a documentary so you can watch for one time only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Looking forward to seeing this. I`m already prepared for it to be one sided and hope it doesnt take away from my enjoyment.

As brilliant a driver as he was, he was also ruthless on the track and a lot of the time reckless and a danger to himself and other drivers.

Still an absolute legend though and I cant wait to see it.

It's on in Vue in Liffey Valley.

So being outside of Dublin means I will have to wait for the DVD release.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Its also going to be showing in Cork for one night at least (the 21st June), Dungarvan, Donegal and a few places in the north. It will probably roll out to a few other venues as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭fulmer1984

Wonder when it'll be on dvd?!

Its also going to be showing in Cork for one night at least (the 21st June), Dungarvan, Donegal and a few places in the north. It will probably roll out to a few other venues as well.

That would be fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Is it still on there this week? I really want to see this film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

Saw the trailers for it on the BBC website, started to get in to F1 just as Senna passed on, always wished he'd stayed on a few seasons longer, would have been brilliant to see him and Schumacher go head to head properly :(

Will probably wait until this comes out on DVD, would you guys recommend it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Didn't think this was great. As said already, we didn't see enough inspection of his undoubted flaws. It was the type of docu you would see shortly after someone has died, many years later, when people should really be unafraid to show and discuss a person's failings, along with celebrating their genius and positive aspects of their lives.

Having seen a few Senna montage clips, felt there could have been a little more of that shown. Nowhere near enough showboating clips that could have had the audience gasping and would have liked to seen more clips from outside of racing, there are tons of stuff that would have made the docu feel more complete. It really felt more fly on the wall stuff than a proper documentary.

Overall, I didn't really feel like I knew that much more about Senna going out, than I did going in. It's worth seeing but is more for non-Senna fans than anything, think the hardcore will be left disappointed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 lightbulbie

Yeah,agree with most comments here...i thought it was a nice movie,happy to have seen it, but honestly was hoping for more...it was quite one sided, and made prost look like a horrible man....think the film is more beneficial to people who dont know a whole lot about senna, good introduction to who he was.

Really was hoping for more onboard footage,and there wasnt much in the movie that i hadnt already seen on youtube...apart from the martin donnelly moment...

Well worth a see, but if you want to really get an idea of what F1 was like during the 80's, id recommend reading 'Senna vs Prost' by Malcolm Folley, fantastic read.

Still,the movie has people talking about Senna again which is fantastic, a true legend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Is it still on there this week? I really want to see this film.
    Yep you can also see it in IFI or the screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

emailed the Omniplex in cork to ask why there's just one showing next week, they sent me this back..
    Senna is on very limited release - the movie makers will only show it for one show. We have asked for more but they tell us they don't have the budget.

So am I right in thinking the movie doesn't have a distributor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭Catcher7791

Roar wrote: »
    emailed the Omniplex in cork to ask why there's just one showing next week, they sent me this back..

So am I right in thinking the movie doesn't have a distributor?

It's distributed by Universal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Went to it tonight. Thought it was amazing. Brought back so many memories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

Saw this last week and really enjoyed it. Like a poster above me said it may benefit people who are unaware of the Senna phenomenon was/is and I'm one of those. Not an F1 fan so went in pretty blind on the strength of its reviews.

Really enjoyed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭Arcee

Saw this tonight - completely blown away. My heart was thumping for the last 30/40 mins knowing what was coming. Wouldn't hesitate in recommending it.

Saw it yesterday - pretty impressed. By its nature the film was constrained to using the available footage, which explains why there was so little on Senna's teenage years in karting, for example. I just found myself wondering whether there could have been more on his personal life, but on reflection I doubt it would have improved the film. He wasn't a very interesting character, by all accounts, when he wasn't driving, so I don't blame the film-makers for concentrating on that.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

Seen the film last night and the man himself came across as an arrogant person who would do any amount of back stabbing to get his way. The film itself was'nt bad but i would'nt be telling people to rush out and see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Seen the film last night and the man himself came across as an arrogant person who would do any amount of back stabbing to get his way. The film itself was'nt bad but i would'nt be telling people to rush out and see it.

what back stabbing did he do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

I wouldnt be the biggest fan of formula one but I do enjoy watching it occasionally, after checking this film out I look at some of the current drivers a lot differently now, they dont even have half the style or nerves of senna, I never watched him race live im regretting that now, what a guy and great film

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Roar wrote: »
    what back stabbing did he do?

I think he's talking about the film Prost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭TommyTippee

christ almighty

Saw Senna last night in Dungarvan. Pre-booked my ticket two weeks ago and I am glad I did as the cinema was full. I thought it was an excellent doc and will appeal even to non-petrol heads. We all know the ending and its a terrible ending. But the film shows what a driven man Senna was and the obstacles placed in front of him. My one quibble would be its treatment of Alain Prost the French F1 driver who is made out to be an awful bastard. There are two sides to every story. I give it the thumbs up and its different from the usual fare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

Poly wrote: »
    agreed. looks fantastic. i hope it comes out here in original language.

The little guy you see on the jet skis in the Trailer is Bruno Senna, Ayrtons nephew, who was last year a F1 driver and is hoping to get back into F1.

He looks uncannily like him

Whatever you think about Prost, it's worth remembering that he happily contributed to the film, and related his side of the story in it. The facts of what he did at the '89 Japanese Grand Prix are clear to me from the video evidence, only some of which was shown in the film: whether planned or not, he tried to take Senna out, turning in before the normal turn-in point - then ran to the stewards when Senna got going again.

PS: interest in Formula 1 history has definitely been kicked off in Hollywood, and I wonder how much is down to this film? Ron Howard has just signed on to direct Rush, a biopic of Niki Lauda.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I didnt read a review, I didnt see a trailer so I had no expectations going into this film

I thought it was very good, I was blown away by the amount of archive footage they had and how they put it together. I think it have made the documentary better to show more of the dangerous style he had and not make it out to be a figment of Prosts' imagination or an excuse.

Not enough Murray Walker either!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,574 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Saw this last night in Cork Mahon Omniplex. Very good I thought and definitely no need to be a 'F1 head' to find it interesting. Word of warning: arrived 15 mins early (21.00 showing) expecting to wander into the usual half-empty Wednesday cinema. Boy was I wrong! It was absolutely packed and even at that stage there was a queue of maybe 200 ticket holders waitiing to get into it (just for Senna, not other films). Virtually every seat in the cinema itself was taken too. So get there very early or book online! They seem to have extended its run into next week as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,574 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Dempsey wrote: »
    Not enough Murray Walker either!

Given Americans' famous disinterest in F1, thought it was fairly ironic alright that the most featured commentator was American!

Given Americans' famous disinterest in F1, thought it was fairly ironic alright that the most featured commentator was American!

It was also an award winner at sundance

• Advertisement
Advertisement