Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Senna

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

Did it say when it's released?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

It didn't. I'd imagine soon enough. It seems to have had a release in some areas already. Although, the people speaking before it claimed the people in the cinema were some of the first to see it!? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 44,972 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

First week in June as far as I know. Really looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭bnt

The IFI showed the trailer a month or so ago, so I'm pretty confident they'll be showing it. Looked freaking amazing too. The guy was not human, he was something else.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

bnt wrote: »
    The IFI showed the trailer a month or so ago, so I'm pretty confident they'll be showing it. Looked freaking amazing too. The guy was not human, he was something else.

Absolutely. I'd imagine it'll get a full cinema release though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Saw it a few months back and I thought it was very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Catcher7791

It's supposed to open at the IFI on 3 June, probably in Cineworld too.

Saw it yesterday. It's very good, and I'm saying that as someone who sees no difference between watching Formula One and cars going round a roundabout for three hours. It deserves a bigger audience than just F1 heads, hope it gets it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

It's supposed to open at the IFI on 3 June, probably in Cineworld too.

Saw it yesterday. It's very good, and I'm saying that as someone who sees no difference between watching Formula One and cars going round a roundabout for three hours. It deserves a bigger audience than just F1 heads, hope it gets it.

Nice! Looking forward to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

It's out here on the 3rd of June. The Omniplex cinema's will be showing it but I don't know if every one of them will be. I'm guessing other cinema's will be showing it too.

There's a whole thread about this film over in the Motorsport forum for those who are interested http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056023007

I'm a huge F1 fan myself and Senna was my favourite driver. Looking forward to seeing this but not looking forward to seeing it at the same time for obvious reasons!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Sraw

Looking forward to this. Look like it's going to be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭Paleface

This is a fantastic documentary. Essential viewing for anyone who's ever watched F1.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Randy Shafter

Went to see this documentary last night with a friend. It was brilliant! I was on the edge of my seat with some of the racing footage and the audience really enjoyed it too. Anyone else see it? What did you think of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I'd go if I knew of somewhere showing it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm not a racing fan, but enjoyed it. I liked some of the decisions the filmmakers made - like keeping all interview footage voice only and keeping intensely focused on the archive footage. My racing fan friend pointed out it didn't say much about his colourful personal life, but we both sort of found that a strength - kept the film focused on the story.

My one problem with it, and one that definitely holds it back from being something special, is that it felt one-sided. This was simply eulogising at times - it was largely uncritical of Senna. Kind of like the Bill Hicks documentary recently, it seems like it's preaching to the converted at times, holding Senna up as a hero. There's nothing wrong with that, and he certainly seems like a damn good driver, but the result is a documentary that merely seems informative rather than insightful.

It's an entertaining portrait of a fascinating individual, but tbh didn't think it was much more than that.

Minstrel27 wrote: »

Cineworld on Parnell Street are showing it.

I'm not a racing fan, but enjoyed it. I liked some of the decisions the filmmakers made - like keeping all interview footage voice only and keeping intensely focused on the archive footage. My racing fan friend pointed out it didn't say much about his colourful personal life, but we both sort of found that a strength - kept the film focused on the story.

My one problem with it, and one that definitely holds it back from being something special, is that it felt one-sided. This was simply eulogising at times - it was largely uncritical of Senna. Kind of like the Bill Hicks documentary recently, it seems like it's preaching to the converted at times, holding Senna up as a hero. There's nothing wrong with that, and he certainly seems like a damn good driver, but the result is a documentary that merely seems informative rather than insightful.

It's an entertaining portrait of a fascinating individual, but tbh didn't think it was much more than that.

It was a bit one sided but I thought that helped in a way. We got to see how he could be behind the scenes. And at times he was quite stroppy, wanting it his way and I think that shows in some scenes. Especially when he was talking to race supervisors etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Minstrel27 wrote: »

It's on in Vue in Liffey Valley.

Went to it last night. Leaving aside whether it was one-sided, I thought as a film it was brilliantly put together, great editing together of the footage to make a compelling narrative arc. Some very poignant interviews with Senna and his family about the dangers faced by F1 drivers and some really harrowing (but not exploitative) footage of some horiffic F1 crashes.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,972 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I wanted it to show more of his skills and abilities - more highlights of his great races.

Felt more a documentary of his career rather than of him.

Still very very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 angelinalove

This movie is good, i usually like sports related movie but not too much. and its a documentary so you can watch for one time only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭adox

Looking forward to seeing this. I`m already prepared for it to be one sided and hope it doesnt take away from my enjoyment.

As brilliant a driver as he was, he was also ruthless on the track and a lot of the time reckless and a danger to himself and other drivers.

Still an absolute legend though and I cant wait to see it.

It's on in Vue in Liffey Valley.

So being outside of Dublin means I will have to wait for the DVD release.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Its also going to be showing in Cork for one night at least (the 21st June), Dungarvan, Donegal and a few places in the north. It will probably roll out to a few other venues as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭fulmer1984

Wonder when it'll be on dvd?!

Its also going to be showing in Cork for one night at least (the 21st June), Dungarvan, Donegal and a few places in the north. It will probably roll out to a few other venues as well.

That would be fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Is it still on there this week? I really want to see this film.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

Saw the trailers for it on the BBC website, started to get in to F1 just as Senna passed on, always wished he'd stayed on a few seasons longer, would have been brilliant to see him and Schumacher go head to head properly :(

Will probably wait until this comes out on DVD, would you guys recommend it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Didn't think this was great. As said already, we didn't see enough inspection of his undoubted flaws. It was the type of docu you would see shortly after someone has died, many years later, when people should really be unafraid to show and discuss a person's failings, along with celebrating their genius and positive aspects of their lives.

Having seen a few Senna montage clips, felt there could have been a little more of that shown. Nowhere near enough showboating clips that could have had the audience gasping and would have liked to seen more clips from outside of racing, there are tons of stuff that would have made the docu feel more complete. It really felt more fly on the wall stuff than a proper documentary.

Overall, I didn't really feel like I knew that much more about Senna going out, than I did going in. It's worth seeing but is more for non-Senna fans than anything, think the hardcore will be left disappointed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 lightbulbie

Yeah,agree with most comments here...i thought it was a nice movie,happy to have seen it, but honestly was hoping for more...it was quite one sided, and made prost look like a horrible man....think the film is more beneficial to people who dont know a whole lot about senna, good introduction to who he was.

Really was hoping for more onboard footage,and there wasnt much in the movie that i hadnt already seen on youtube...apart from the martin donnelly moment...

Well worth a see, but if you want to really get an idea of what F1 was like during the 80's, id recommend reading 'Senna vs Prost' by Malcolm Folley, fantastic read.

Still,the movie has people talking about Senna again which is fantastic, a true legend

Advertisement