Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Announce FTA Saorsat service

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Gipo3

Beginning of what?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

mar1us wrote: »

See post# 1148, page 77.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭Rick_

Or, if you prefer a handier URL with only Saorsat on it, try this one - http://www.lyngsat.com/eka.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Apogee

Healy1 wrote: »
    so is it possible to buy lnb yet?

No, and probably won't be for a few months. You can be sure that as soon as they become available, someone here will post about it.

LoTwan has posted pics of the Ka-sat setup for internet in the Midband forum. What's interesting is the size of the dish - not much bigger than a Sky dish and normally dishes for satellite internet tend to be on the larger side.

053feaf8.jpg

66664f68.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

A setup which I definitely wouldn't copy as it's on an ESB pole.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

A setup which I definitely wouldn't copy as it's on an ESB pole.

There appears to be another pole right behind it so I reckon this guy just used a second hand ESB pole specifically for mounting his two dishes to rather than mounting them on a live active pole.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Stinicker wrote: »
    There appears to be another pole right behind it so I reckon this guy just used a second hand ESB pole specifically for mounting his two dishes to rather than mounting them on a live active pole.

Or the other pole could be a telegraph pole.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Stinicker wrote: »
    I doubt the sky installer used a second hand ESB pole (the sky dish was put there before the tooway dish) and then buried the cable stay and hooked up the one guy wire too! And install the tube for the neutral wire.

Seeing as how yiz are all so interested in the shaggin' pole, I asked him
    LoTwan wrote: »
    I put the pole up myself. It was the original ESB pole that was decommissioned when the subterranean supply went in. We recycled it from it's previous position to it's new home on the boundary. We didn't take off the ESB notice purely because I didn't get around to it ;-)

Can we now get back to dishes? :p

• Advertisement

I doubt the sky installer used a second hand ESB pole (the sky dish was put there before the tooway dish) and then buried the cable stay and hooked up the one guy wire too! And install the tube for the neutral wire.
    I also asked earlier and it seems my eyes were playing tricks on me, the guy wire is indeed for the pole further back in the hedge. And that "neutral wire" is simply the duct for the satellite cables.

Never mind, nothing to see here:o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Apogee wrote: »
    yiz are all so interested in the
    shaggin pole

Careful now this is a family forum :)

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭dbcool

not sniff in NEWTOWNABBEY !
    trying my new hughes ka lnb with td110 triax and doing a blind scan with a spiderbox hd on 9e - not a sniff of saorsat - have trieD the 2 transponders manually but nothing at all! i will keep trying already been at it for 3 hours but looks like the ka spot bEams are super tight!

The transponder has been switched off for at least a week as far as I can see, and was still off yesterday when I checked.

They mustn't have appreciated the free publicity

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭dbcool

so are you saying there is nothing there for me to see a this moment in time?

Not a dicky bird in terms of Saorsat. There is a data/beacon TP (which I can't lock) so you should be able to check that your aligned OKish on 9E either with a bog standard signal strength meter, or a spectrum analyzer if you have access.

It's the fat peak at 1374MHz IF or 20124MHz.

9escan.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Astro7

dbcool wrote: »
    not sniff in NEWTOWNABBEY !
    trying my new hughes ka lnb with td110 triax and doing a blind scan with a spiderbox hd on 9e - not a sniff of saorsat - have trieD the 2 transponders manually but nothing at all! i will keep trying already been at it for 3 hours but looks like the ka spot bEams are super tight!

dbcool

Where did you get the Hughes Ka LNB....and how much?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

No, it's not that tight!

Either it's not running, or you are not aligned or some other problem.

Don't forget alignment is nearly four times more sensitive. Your 110cm dish on Ka looks almost like a 2.2m for Ku.

The transponder has been switched off for at least a week as far as I can see, and was still off yesterday when I checked.

They mustn't have appreciated the free publicity

May explains why I get ku 9E perfectly and not a sausage on Ka (I borrowed Gerry's setup, so it did work previously).

No doubt it will be back again. Maybe next week.

2 different variations on the footprint - still no EIRPs.

foot1.jpg

foot2.jpg

from here:
    http://www.vatm.de/fileadmin/pdf/vortraege/2011/satellite-day-2011_tooway.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

2 different variations on the footprint - still no EIRPs.

foot1.jpg
    Woah! Hold on a second... the NE Scotland beam is the same colour as the Ireland beam!
    That's a potential reception limiter in parts of Northern Ireland surely?

The NE Scotland used to be marked same as Cornwall / Wales.

The edge of NI. is 1/3rd of distance between the two spots, so it's hard to say. But it does make it unlikely that any of mainland UK will get Saorsat.

Each spot is 238MHz bandwidth and only two bands used. The remaining two colours achieved by LH or RH circular polarisation

LH + higher = Blue
    RH + higher =
    LH + lower =
    RH + lower

lower transponder freq approx 19.7 to 19.940 GHz band

higher transponder freq approx 19.96 to 20.2 GHz band

(based on LNB band and need to have as large a guard band between transponder frequencies).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 John1000

There is a better footprint map on page 30 in this document

http://www.europe-satellite.com/EMS/pdf_files/tooway_installer_manual.pdf

kasat_foot.jpg

You can also see which spot corresponds to which Gateway - GW3 is Elfordstown.

There's some very interesting reading in that PDF from John1000.

multi.jpg

watty wrote: »
    Each spot is 238MHz bandwidth and only two bands used. The remaining two colours achieved by LH or RH circular polarisation

LH + higher = Blue
    RH + higher =
    LH + lower =
    RH + lower

lower transponder freq approx 19.7 to 19.940 GHz band

higher transponder freq approx 19.96 to 20.2 GHz band

(based on LNB band and need to have as large a guard band between transponder frequencies).
    kasat_foot.jpg

We now know the 4 frequencies
    Beam number|Beam color| Symbol rate| Center frequency| Polarization
    1| Blue| 50| 19.73125| RHCP
    2| Orange| 50| 19.99375| RHCP
    3| Purple| 50| 20.11875| LHCP
    4| Green| 50| 19.85625| LHCP

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭moro_original

So, what are the odds of Saorsat working in Belfast?

I'm reckoning still okay, given that the Tooway map suggests using Spot 3 up to about Banbridge, and the closest it recommends the Scottish Spot 3 is Dundee. I guess we just don't know, but the map of the stops in the Tooway manual seems to suggest that Spot 3 for Ireland reaches right up to (almost) Belfast. If Belfast is fringe Spot 3 from Ireland, surely it should get it okay and not be affected by the Scottish Spot 3?

All of N.I. might be OK

See
    163140.jpg

The red lines are approx where the two spots are equal. So you need a certain distance closer to Irish Spot from red line to get sufficient signal quality. Depends on SR, FEC and exact carrier frequency. The outer contour I have added for Irish spot shows where signal has dropped enough that it doesn't interfere with East Scotland or Calais French Spot. It would be still easily be received if those spots didn't exist. The Middle contour is where signal is unusable as the Irish Spot is equal to other spots, assuming exact same power, FEC, carrier and symbol rate. All of NI might be OK

Note the frequency table is NOT the transponder for each spot.
    Beam number|Beam color| Symbol rate| Center frequency| Polarization
    1| Blue| 50| 19.73125| RHCP
    2| Orange| 50| 19.99375| RHCP
    3| Purple| 50| 20.11875| LHCP
    4| Green| 50| 19.85625| LHCP

Those are the 1st Internet services. Each spot is a 238MHz wide transponder

So assuming approximately
    Lower = 19.7 to 19.940 and
    higher =19.96 to 20.2 are likely entire transponders..
    Beam number|Beam color| Center frequency| Polarization
    1| Blue| Lower| RHCP
    2| Orange| Higher| RHCP
    3| Purple| Higher| LHCP
    4| Green| Lower| LHCP

• Advertisement

Spot beams from http://www.satbeams.com/satellites?norad=37258

Ka-Sat spot-beam 17
    2gvjy1f.jpg

Ka-Sat spot-beam 20
    2qiqmtv.jpg