Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q-Con XVIII pre-registration now open

Options
  • 18-04-2011 1:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭

http://www.q-con.org.uk

When: Friday June 24th to Sunday June 26th
    Where: QUB Students' Union
    How much: £15/€19 for the whole weekend

Pre-registration for this year's Q-Con has started in the past few days. Last year's event sold out, and although I've heard that there might be an increase in capacity for this year, it's a good idea to get your pre-registration in early.

On the fighting game front, last year saw tournaments for SSF4, BBCT, and Tekken 6, and casual play of numerous other fighters. These two videos are a good idea of what you can expect:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

anyone up for staying in a travel inn for the weekend and getting pissed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭CloudRunner89

anyone up for staying in a travel inn for the weekend and getting pissed?

If I can make it I'd definitely be up for it

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Neeknak

I'm there. At least for the Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Linoud

Should be there myself, it'd be nice to see you lads all there for the tournaments.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Friday 24th is my birthday.

I think this means I have no excuse to NOT get pissed and stare at Hatsune Miku cosplayers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

I should be up for this. Most likely will just make my way up for tournament day but I wouldn't be opposed to weekend and session.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Vyze

Orim wrote: »
    I should be up for this. Most likely will just make my way up for tournament day but I wouldn't be opposed to weekend and session.
    Given that there are tournaments all weekend, I'd say you should come up for the whole thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Depends on the games,days and times etc.

Speaking of which, is the timetable finalised? Couldn't see it on the site.

It's almost there, don't worry. I'm quite happy with my provisional timetable - just need to confirm a few wee bits and bobs and then we'll be ready to announce it I'm sure. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

A provisional console gaming schedule has been released:

http://q-con.org.uk/images/RegForms/q-con_xviii_video_games_timetable_provisional.pdf

The fighting game tournaments are:

Friday night: Tekken 6, Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 2
    Saturday morning: Blazblue CS2
    Saturday afternoon: Marvel vs Capcom 3
    Saturday night: Mortal Kombat 9
    Sunday morning: Super Smash Bros Brawl, Super Street Fighter IV (probably AE, although it doesn't say so)

Other fighting games and kinda-fighting-games on the schedule:

UFC Undisputed
    Evil Zone
    WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2011
    Soulcalibur IV
    Street Fighter III 3rd Strike
    Tekken Tag Tournament

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Street Fighter and MvC on the same day plz, preferably Sat :(

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭The Hound

Mk9, SSF4 and MVC3 on the same day would be mad hype

The Hound wrote: »
    Mk9, SSF4 and MVC3 on the same day would be mad hype

Yeah, as it is I can't really justify the trip (I'm only really able to go Sat, and SF is my game, I only mess about in MvC).

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭chueytoo

Whats Hound said, but better if it was

MK9,Blazblue and mvc3. That day would be so good ^_^

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭fake_roogle

i agree, splitting up mvc3/ssf4 is not the best decision imo, but w/e, i already booked the whole thing (from chin0r no less)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

chueytoo wrote: »
    Whats Hound said, but better if it was

MK9,Blazblue and mvc3. That day would be so good ^_^

Perhaps you might be referring to...
    Saturday morning: Blazblue CS2
    Saturday afternoon: Marvel vs Capcom 3
    Saturday night: Mortal Kombat 9

...?

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭chueytoo

Happy days ^_^

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Yeah I could only make it up for a day too, probably not going to go if mvc and ssf4 are on different days.

SSF4 was a really tough one to schedule. I obviously can't run it in the same slot as MvC3, and putting it in the 18+ slot would make no sense. The only other slot I could have the tournament in on a Saturday would be early in the morning. Not only would this severely stress out the staff with it and Marvel back-to-back, a lot of the (mainly Northern) competitive players didn't show up for SSF4 last year, and the Dublin guys arrived late enough into the afternoon slot that we had to bend (well, break) our rules and re-open registrations and run above our limit to allow them into the tournament. That's why SSF4 was running on so late last year (between having larger groups than we expected, plus having to re-seed and group at the very last minute) and I really didn't want a repeat of that.

Taking all that into account, and I know it's unfortunate, I just couldn't justify squeezing SSF4 into the Saturday morning slot. I even broke my own personal rules about repeat games and gave it a couple of casual setups on the Saturday just so people who could only come up for one day (although I'd still recommend coming for the whole weekend!) could still get some games in.

I'd love to be able to focus entirely on fighting games, but Q-Con is a multi-genre event and I sadly can't schedule the entire timetable around fighting games. The Smash Bros players have to deal with being on a Sunday, as do the under 18 Call of Duty players. If I stuffed all the fighting games into Saturday there'd be next to no room for anything else.

edit: Oh, I nearly forgot. Accommodation for the event is crazy cheap! :D It's £17/night as far as I know!

edit2: Hm, it may be possible for me to run a restricted-size SSF4 tournament on the Saturday morning over those two existing setups. This isn't confirmed yet and obviously we won't be able to reserve the tournament signup spaces just for yourselves for reasons of fairness to all the attendees. As such, you'd need to be there early on the Saturday to make sure you get registered for it. Would that suit people if I can get the okay for that?

Vyze wrote: »
    the Dublin guys arrived late enough into the afternoon slot that we had to bend (well, break) our rules and re-open registrations and run above our limit to allow them into the tournament. That's why SSF4 was running on so late last year (between having larger groups than we expected, plus having to re-seed and group at the very last minute) and I really didn't want a repeat of that.

Whoa there nelly. The Dublin guys showed up early, asked to register, were told they couldn't, wandered around for over an hour, asked if they could register, were told they couldn't again, then went to get lunch, came back and were told they were too late to register.

This aint a knock on you as I know you bent over backwards to sort us out but it did happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Linoud

Im good with the list of tournaments. Im wondering how the Naruto Ninja Storm 2 one is going to go, since it's really just whomever spams wins. :o Odd choice for a tournament really.

I never heard that side of things Doom, sorry! What times were you told that you couldn't register at? This year I should make a pretty clear reminder to whoever is working the games registrations desk to tell people at what time they can register for upcoming games.

Oh also, chuey you need to be 18 or over to get into the Saturday evening slot for MK9. It totally sucks I know but since the event is pretty big now we sadly need to be a bit more careful about legalities for things.

And Linoud, yeah Naruto's not exactly a competitive game but it's gorgeous as all hell and we do need a few things to keep casual players happy since they're what bring in the vast majority of people to the event!

I can't remember the exact specifics of it, I do recall we made sure to get an extra early train as we were aware of the tight scheduling around sign ups at conventions (I would have been a regular at a few down here for years).

I'm sure it was just because of the unexpected demand for the game but man I could have punched the guy behind the table when he told me that!

****, really sorry about that! Definitely gonna mention on staff training day that anyone on tournament reg desk should have a list of times for upcoming tournaments and when signups should be available for them.

Hm, if a Saturday morning smaller tournament was to be run, I'm guessing people wouldn't be chuffed if it was run using projector screens, would they?

Wouldn't be chuffed but I'd be much more likely to show up.

EDIT: Just to add Vyze, I really enjoyed Q-con last year, after it was all sorted.

I'll see what I can do about the schedule. I don't think the higher-ups will be happy bunnies. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭TVSAdamwest

Hey never been to Qcon before a few short questions is it too late to register for qcon now?
    Are the games going to be console specific? I ask since I'm a ps3 pad player so will only be intrested in BB and whatever else runs on ps3
    All answers much appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

The E-sports thingy in Ballyfermot is on this weekend. I already said I'd go so wont be bale to make it. Not a shame really, I know :p

Good luck with it. :)

Ditto as it happens I promised to help at the E sports thing months ago, didn't realise twas the same weekend :( sorry!

• Advertisement

No problemo, guys! With SSF4 being on Sunday I kinda figured the Dublin numbers might not have been as high anyway. :p
    Hey never been to Qcon before a few short questions is it too late to register for qcon now?
    Are the games going to be console specific? I ask since I'm a ps3 pad player so will only be intrested in BB and whatever else runs on ps3
    All answers much appreciated :)
    I've updated the videogames page on the Q-Con website, which lists what system each game is on and whether or not it's going to be a tournament for just for casuals:
    http://www.q-con.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=131&Itemid=112

Advertisement