Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we lucky to live in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

How long is a piece of string?

that phrase doesn't work in the context you were commenting on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭busyliving

Well I'm currently in Australian and can't wait to get back home...

Can't see why everyone raves about here, its expensive, the people aren't nice and the drink is Sh!te

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Yes because we have a decent standard of living. I'd rather live here than Africa or Asia and many parts of Europe. North America / Canada / Australia would also be nice places to live imo. The only thing about Ireland is that the weather is a bit shíte although we don't get any extremes which is _kind of_ a good thing. It's a bad thing due to the fact that the whole place shuts down due to a hint of ice because we're totally unprepared for it. It's good because it means we don't have to deal with intolerable conditions :D

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Ev84

No. He is a Chinese man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

we're a grand auld country, jobs for life for the boys, and if your banking enterprise catastrophically fails, sure the govt will bail you out, while you can feck off scot free :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

'bout three fiddy
    Ev84 wrote: »
    No. He is a Chinese man.
    how high is his brother(?)

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Ev84

'bout three fiddy

how high is his brother(?)

Yes. I know him well. Nice guy :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭HUNK

Well Ireland has the Highest Quality of Life in the world supposedly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quality-of-life_index

Wouldn't mind going travelling sometime in the future, but I reckon I always end up back here. Tis my home sweet home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

If you compare Ireland to a third world country or a scary middle eastern represive place, then yes, we are lucky. Compared to most of Europe, USA, NZ and Oz - we are living in the dark ages, so no.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

pmcmahon wrote: »
    i plead anyone to go to Scandinavia and see how far behind we are

True. I miss some things about Sweden terribly sometimes-the efficiency of the place, how clean and safe it is, low levels of corruption and Govt. incompetence, how socially progressive and egalitarian it is compared to here with the vast majority having a high standard of living not just those at the top of society like here; and what a great country it is to be a woman in, in terms of equality and rights.
    And the people are lovely too when you get to know them.

I did miss some things from here though like the warmth and casual friendliness of the people, how easy it is to strike up a conversation, how much less Irish people are fixated on their appearance (though that's not always a good thing :pac:) and our beautiful country side.
    Overall I'm happy to be living here and don't think I'd leave again unless I had to. I love this little country of ours, warts and all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 MsAmerica

Yes you are very lucky. You have beautiful people there and the positivity and sense of community that I have seen from those that I know there is definitely unique and special. I look forward to my solo trip to Ireland this fall.

----Also, the men there seem to be much better looking than those in the US. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

annascott wrote: »
    Compared to most of Europe, USA, NZ and Oz - we are living in the dark ages, so no.

Elaborate please?Standard of living in Ireland is a least the same if not greater than these places you mentioned?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Elaborate please?Standard of living in Ireland is a least the same if not greater than these places you mentioned?

I think she means they have really fast broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

It's all relative really.
    Compared to third world countries, we're incredibly lucky to be living in such a country.
    Yet compare us to other countries with a similar standard of living to us, and there are some ways in which we're not perfect.

Our general infrastructure has improved, but there's little things like not building services when building the motorway network, or building a national stadium that's too small that are just ridiculous.
    Which is all to do with the *adopts Roy Keane voice* acceptance of mediocrity and lack of planning and organisation which is part of our culture, the "ah shure 'til be grand" attitude. Also, compared to other countries like America or France, we're very accepting of corruption and poor planning, or at least not very willing to take action against what we don't like.
    Lots of people still seem to have an inferiority complex about the country too, and be very concerned about how we're seen by the "big" countries like America and the U.K, and too concerned about how we look to them, not embarrassing ourselves.
    We're also still old-fashioned in many ways. It's not as obvious or as powerful as before, but the unquestioning acceptance of Church authority is still out there. We've only had divorce in this country for 16 years, I think, and it was a fairly tight vote.
    And our food, well, spend a week in Italy, France or Spain and try to go back to a feed of boiled spuds with a bit a butter for taste.

Having said that though, on a global scale, it's pretty good to live here. Compared to many countries we're fabulously wealthy with a strong welfare state (though not compared to the Nordic countries), and we speak English.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

busyliving wrote: »
    Well I'm currently in Australian and can't wait to get back home...

Can't see why everyone raves about here, its expensive, the people aren't nice and the drink is Sh!te

The grass is always greener mentality I guess. Don't see the attraction with Aussie land either. Too many things that want to kill me(!), scorching heat in summer, floods, droughts, cyclones, lacks the rich cultural heritage of Europe, American style car dependence, the beer...

New Zealand on the other hand is a country I'd be more interested in visiting some day. I like the Maori culture and traditions, and it's more temperate climate and greener landscape appeals to me more that the dry arid Australian bush.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

pmcmahon wrote: »
    i plead anyone to go to Scandinavia and see how far behind we are
    Fúck Scandanavia. 6 months of subzero temperatures, 6 months of constant darkness, Devil worshipers, Death Metal, Vikings, ridiculously high taxes , Shroomed off their tits Reindeers and every lame ass matt cooper/joe duffy contributor saying "Oh, we should look at the Scandanavian way of doing things".
    NO!!!
    Fúck Scandanavia

Ireland is fúcking lovely.:)

It's not as obvious or as powerful as before, but the unquestioning acceptance of Church authority is still out there. We've only had divorce in this country for 16 years, I think, and it was a fairly tight vote.

So you don't think we've experienced much change of attitude in the last 16 years? Seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭noxqs

Fúck Scandanavia. 6 months of subzero temperatures, 6 months of constant darkness, Devil worshipers, Death Metal, Vikings, ridiculously high taxes , Shroomed off their tits Reindeers and every lame ass matt cooper/joe duffy contributor saying "Oh, we should look at the Scandanavian way of doing things".

Surely there must be bad things about scandinavia too?

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

As much as i love to bitch about Ireland and being born here it's really not that bad compared to a lot of other countries.

• Advertisement

Daroxtar wrote: »
    So you don't think we've experienced much change of attitude in the last 16 years? Seriously?

Outwardly, definitely, and it's only going to continue changing.
    But look at things like the fact that very few politicians will even mention the issue of abortion, or some of the reaction to the David Norris "controversy". Or the racism in this country (though the racists are more than matched by welcoming Irish people, it's still very common to see/hear casual and sometimes not-so-casual racism).
    Things have definitely progressed, but I think there's still a large portion of the population that is fundamentally conservative and who will automatically fall back on the old way of doing things when push comes to shove. They just don't have much of an outlet anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

NO!!!
    Fúck Scandanavia

Ireland is fúcking lovely.:)

f**k scandanavia :D

some of the most down to earth,intelligent honest people i have ever met in my life.theres a reason why most of them are atheist

Fair enough, but politicians are usually consevrative middle aged people and the dont like to stir things too much. Ireland has a large young population and the mindset amongst the under 40s is incredibly different to that of many of the over 40s. In another 10 years things will be unrecognisable here to what they were like 10 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Cill Dara Abu

Fair enough, but politicians are usually consevrative middle aged people and the dont like to stir things too much. Ireland has a large young population and the mindset amongst the under 40s is incredibly different to that of many of the over 40s. In another 10 years things will be unrecognisable here to what they were like 10 years ago.
    In what way?

every scandanavian i ever talked to could'nt believe the levels of political corruption here and that was nearly 8 years ago.it just doesn't happen there they don't let it

beano345 wrote: »
    f**k scandanavia :D

some of the most down to earth,intelligent honest people i have ever met in my life.theres a reason why most of them are atheist
    Or satanist.....:)

thats the black metal for you:D too many dark hours

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

As much as this country gets on my nerves and as crap as it is for unemployment, the cost of living, poor governance, quality of life indicators etc... I think I'm genetically predisposed to finding Irish women attractive. For the life of me I can never see myself ending up with someone from a different country no matter where I go. Whenever I'm abroad I light up when I meet an Irish person, and when I'm up North I light up when I meet another Southerner, don't know why it happens but it does. If this didn't happen I wouldn't give two shits about this place and would be off to Oz picking oranges quicker than you can say default. Thank you women of Ireland!;)

I agree, though I think it may take a little longer.
    Some of the over-40s of today were relatively progressive in their youth, and some of today's under-40s will have to become conservative 40-something politicians.
    And the brown envelopes will probably knock the idealism out of some of them. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

beano345 wrote: »
    every scandanavian i ever talked to could'nt believe the levels of political corruption here and that was nearly 8 years ago.it just doesn't happen there they don't let it
    Maybe their politicians are just better at concealing it, and they're actually far worse than our cowboys

Advertisement