Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we lucky to live in Ireland?

Options
  • 06-06-2011 9:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭

I've never been abroad. I'd love to go to America someday.

I often get the impression that we are lucky to live here, you see other countrys experiencing extreme weather, poverty, etc...

Just wondering what are the differences people have noticed in Ireland and any other country in terms of the people, attitudes to alcohol and drugs, weather, standard of living, driving habits and any other random thing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Yes - we have a great little country, wouldn't swap it for anything :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Russian girls wear nicer underwear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Ireland is a great place to live. Anyone who thinks differently needs to go traveling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭RockinRolla

Ireland is a great place to live. Anyone who thinks differently needs to go traveling.

I would have thought it was the other way round.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Relatively lucky compared to most countries, imo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Beautiful place. Shame about the criminals running the place and those who vote for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Not bad, pity the weather isn't better though.More sunshine more smiles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Absolutely we are, we dont starve (anymore ;)), if you are diwn on your luck social welfare really can help you, for all the crime it's still pretty safe, the weather isn't too severe and we have fair city

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭RockinRolla

squod wrote: »
    Beautiful place. Shame about the criminals running the place and those who vote for them.

Agreed.

Some beautiful area's of the country. But we can't rate a country as it's entirely subjective on the part of the individual. It really depends on what your lifestyle and political beliefs are.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Johnny D. Mudd

What I enjoy about this country is the laid-back, friendly and level-headedness of the average Irish person. There is little pretence in public, people aren't as quick to dismiss others and are generally happy to share some small talk even with strangers. I have been in Spain quite a few times and though the country is beautiful and the people incredibly gorgeous, there is a lot of snobbishness. I have seen people I know get into confrontations with a Spaniard because of some percieved slight. Same with some Germans too I'm afraid. I don't see this level of snobbishness too much in Ireland.

Of course I'm not one for generalising and I realise that there are plenty of wonderful Spaniards and Germans out there too.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Without a shadow of a doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

All things considered it's quite good. Nowhere near perfect, but then again nowhere is, really. Comfortable, is how I'd describe it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

We have a beautiful country with not to many social problems, ruined by a bunch of incompetent pricks running the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭TheDukeOfEarl

A great bunch of lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Some times we whinge and moan about Ireland the only thing id like would be cost of living a little bit cheaper and i wish that people who deal with customers on a face to face basis learn some basic proper customer service and smile a bit more

• Registered Users Posts: 23,120 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I'd take Ireland over Ethiopia anyday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

For all the bitching, there really is no place similar to ireland elsewhere in the world:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Well, we have little fear of hurricanes, earthquakes, being murdered on your way to the shops, religious persecution, being attacked for your possessions, targeted by criminals, extorted, raped, killed in fatal car accidents, being unable to buy necessities, famine, drought or any other dreadful things compared with most other countries, so I think we're pretty lucky, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

RMD wrote: »
    We have a beautiful country with not to many social problems, ruined by a bunch of incompetent pricks running the place.

elected by the majority, which is why I left:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Rockery Woman

Yes - we are lucky!

I cant imagine living anywhere else :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Cill Dara Abu

I think its impossible to become homeless in Ireland unless you are an alcoholic or addicted to drugs otherwise our social welfare will save you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Don't worry, Marge.
    America's health care system is second only to Japan,
    Canada, Sweden, Great Britain, well, all of Europe,
    but you can thank your lucky stars we don't live in Paraguay!

We have a great country really. I know we all complain about it,
    but it is structured to looks after residents.
    I am very glad that I don't live in a third world country.
    That is what I always compare Ireland to and for those reasons I am grateful.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

i plead anyone to go to Scandinavia and see how far behind we are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

There are certain benefits to living here.

Things could be a hell of a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Dj Stiggie

I'm not living in Ireland at the minute and I couldn't be happier. But at the same time, things could be a lot worse.

It really depends on what you want in life. I'm living in Prague now, earning Czech wages (which are feck all) but I much prefer the lifestyle here. In terms of standard of living, yes Irish people are lucky that there's a good level of health care, high social standards and free education.

But at the same time, if you'd be happier living in Vietnam teaching English or something, I wouldn't say you're missing out at all (I haven't been there, but I imagine its gorgeous). All in all though, being Irish definitely has its advantages

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Dj Stiggie wrote: »
    I'm living in Prague now, earning Czech wages (which are feck all) but I much prefer the lifestyle here.

strongly agree,sometimes Irish people see wages abroad as being terrible without taking into account the cost of living or lifestyle and immediately shake an opportunity of going abroad to a poorer waged country

• Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

We are a corrupt, backward sh*thole compared to Norway, but paradise compared to the Congo.

You might as well ask how long is a piece of string.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Cill Dara Abu

Zebra3 wrote: »
    We are a corrupt, backward sh*thole compared to Norway, but paradise compared to the Congo.

How long is a piece of string?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

Zebra3 wrote: »

Im sure the oil money helped that though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Ireland is a nice place to live op, but it is very small and despite all the recent immigration the population is almost entire white Irish Catholics.

Watching tv and reading t'internet is all well and good, but you do need to leave the island if only to sample other cultures.

I've settled here and I like it, but even Dublin can feel like a village at times.

Advertisement