Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lctimer=WRONG

Options
  • 04-06-2011 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭

So I, like many, have constantly had lctimer on in the background for the past few days but I thought something was off about it. It was only now I became 100% certain that this thing is an hour OFF the start of the lc!

http://lctimer.com/#countd

Stuff like that is dangerous, I was actually planning on using this to know when to leave for my first exam, by setting my alarm by it. I'm sure many others are still planning to do just that.

This should not have won the student award it did, such a careless mistake could cause some people their course!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,043 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

They don't teach you how to use clocks any more? Be a bit tricky when you're actually in the exam and have no internet access...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

TBH who gives a fúck if it's off by an hour?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

Regardless of anyone's ability to "use clocks", it's a compelling issue as it's undeniable that a certain percentage of leaving cert candidates are going to use this as their alarm clock, also I give a ****, MANY give a ****. I truely find it disconcerting that the site my eyes have constantly been flicking to during my study was misleading me, if only by an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Framble

Do most people not know the exam starts at half 9 so then wake up like an hour or two before that?

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

Well I don't really see why people can't work out when to wake up themselves :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Patriciamc93

Fbjm wrote: »
    So I, like many, have constantly had lctimer on in the background for the past few days but I thought something was off about it. It was only now I became 100% certain that this thing is an hour OFF the start of the lc!

http://lctimer.com/#countd

Stuff like that is dangerous, I was actually planning on using this to know when to leave for my first exam, by setting my alarm by it. I'm sure many others are still planning to do just that.

This should not have won the student award it did, such a careless mistake could cause some people their course!

Thanks for spotting it :D I wouldn't have!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

Wait, would you not notice that when youre setting your alarm that you'd be setting it late? :confused: Or is it something like using your laptop as an alarm clock?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭*adele*

Thats some epic procrastination you managed there...

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Wait, would you not notice that when youre setting your alarm that you'd be setting it late? :confused: Or is it something like using your laptop as an alarm clock?

Like those kind of alarms you set to go off in however many hours, etc. It's the one my phone uses, and I'm sure others use these types too.

Thanks for spotting it :D I wouldn't have!

No problem! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

:pac:

Are you actually serious?

In fairness, if you don't know what time your first exam starts at by now, turning up an hour late wouldn't have made much of a difference to you, I'd say.

I've notified the creator. It'll be fixed ASAP.

Crisis averted. A's for everyone.

Healium wrote: »
    :pac:

Are you actually serious?

In fairness, if you don't know what time your first exam starts at by now, turning up an hour late wouldn't have made much of a difference to you, I'd say.

I've notified the creator. It'll be fixed ASAP.

Crisis averted. A's for everyone.
    Ah there's no need for sarcasm, I'm a heavy sleeper and the way my alarm works, it would have gone off at half ten had i not noticed this, so it WAS a compelling issue for me, and perhaps others who have similar phone/laptop alarms. It has nothing to do with knowing when the exam starts, i am perfectly aware that English paper one starts at half nine.

Ah there's no need for sarcasm, I'm a heavy sleeper and the way my alarm works, it would have gone off at half ten had i not noticed this, so it WAS a compelling issue for me, and perhaps others who have similar phone/laptop alarms. It has nothing to do with knowing when the exam starts, i am perfectly aware that English paper one starts at half nine.
    So.... if the timer was correct, your alarm would have gone off at half 9, the time the exam starts? :p

"This should not have won the student award it did, such a careless mistake could cause some people their course!" << Unnecessary, and completely over-dramatic. Surely every student knows what time the exam starts at. The guy that created this is a LC student just like the rest of ye, and managed to create this in his spare time. People have been using it for months. To just start throwing poo is totally unfair. It's just a mistake, and it'll be fixed. No harm done, and it's not going to have any effect on whether or not people get their course. What work you've done over the past 2 years will decide that, not a mistake on an app.

May I suggest you double-check everything? These exams are pretty serious. You'd want to be making sure your alarm is correct every night.

drama_llama.jpg
    *adele* wrote: »
    Thats some epic procrastination you managed there...

/thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

...are you for real?

So.... if the timer was correct, your alarm would have gone off at half 9, the time the exam starts? :p

"This should not have won the student award it did, such a careless mistake could cause some people their course!" << Unnecessary, and completely over-dramatic. Surely every student knows what time the exam starts at. The guy that created this is a LC student just like the rest of ye, and managed to create this in his spare time. People have been using it for months. To just start throwing poo is totally unfair. It's just a mistake, and it'll be fixed. No harm done, and it's not going to have any effect on whether or not people get their course. What work you've done over the past 2 years will decide that, not a mistake on an app.

/thread
    This would have caused me to get up an hour late. Do you really think I would time my alarm to go off when the timer counts down? I'd set it to go off two hours before it did. And, believe it or not, waking up an hour later would actually have a detrimental effect on my results. I don't see why people are treating this as no big deal. It may not be the WORST thing that could happen in the leaving, but I doubt I was the only one setting my alarm by this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

If you don't realise that you should be in school at 9-9:30 for your Leaving Cert exam, then I think being late for the exam is the least of your concerns.

Cydoniac wrote: »
    If you don't realise that you should be in school at 9-9:30 for your Leaving Cert exam, then I think being late for the exam is the least of your concerns.
    Again, It's nothing to do with not realising when exams start. It's solely to do with setting my alarm to a timer which would have got me up an hour later than i would need to be up. This has since been sorted. So, no worries ;)

Again, It's nothing to do with not realising when exams start. It's solely to do with setting my alarm to a timer which would have got me up an hour later than i would need to be up. This has since been sorted. So, no worries ;)

Sorry, but no. If you were late for your exam because you relied upon an unofficial website, then it's your **** up, not his. Just as if you used facts in an essay without checking the legitimacy.

This would have caused me to get up an hour late. Do you really think I would time my alarm to go off when the timer counts down? I'd set it to go off two hours before it did. And, believe it or not, waking up an hour later would actually have a detrimental effect on my results. I don't see why people are treating this as no big deal. It may not be the WORST thing that could happen in the leaving, but I doubt I was the only one setting my alarm by this.
    I'm only quoting what you said :confused:
    I'm a heavy sleeper and the way my alarm works, it would have gone off at half ten had i not noticed this

Waking up an hour late would NOT have a detrimental effect. I can almost guarantee you that you'll wake up a bit late for at least one exam. No amount of morning cramming will affect your grade, it comes down to what work you did over the last 2 years. An extra hour will in no way bring you up a grade.

It isn't a big deal. It's an hour. You know the exam starts at 9.30. Surely you'd double-check the alarm time before you went to bed? To be honest, I don't know a single person who would set that type of alarm. I'd imagine most people would simply set a "7.30" alarm on their phone.

The website was not created to help you plan your alarm times. It was made to encourage you to study, long-term, so that you always know that the exams are creeping up, and to kick you into studying a few months ago.

I just can't believe you're still trying to claim that this is some absolute disaster. I get that you're probably stressed an' all, but this is ridiculous. Some common sense would go a long way.

Anyway, creator notified, mistake being fixed by tonight, nobody going to miss out on their course, made my point, going to watch X-Men.

I suggest you stop arguing on Boards, and go study ;)

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Sorry, but no. If you were late for your exam because you relied upon an unofficial website, then it's your **** up, not his. Just as if you used facts in an essay without checking the legitimacy.
    Well i would have thought that since it recieved a student award it would BE legitimate. I mean, who would give an award to an incorrect timer? Plus, i used this for my junior, and my mates in different years did too, and they were always 100% reliable and correct. Just going on a lifetime of experience. Plus, many of them didn't have an award. This one did. Go figure :/

• Advertisement

Well i would have thought that since it recieved a student award it would BE legitimate. I mean, who would give an award to an incorrect timer? Plus, i used this for my junior, and my mates in different years did too, and they were always 100% reliable and correct. Just going on a lifetime of experience. Plus, many of them didn't have an award. This one did. Go figure :/

It doesn't say it won an award, it said it was shortlisted for one.

EDIT - I see it did win an award, but for best design. Not for accuracy or content.

And no, it's not legitimate, award or not. Teletext. World news TV stations. Greenwichmeantime.com. Those are legimate.

I can almost guarantee you that you'll wake up a bit late for at least one exam.
    Well god i certainly hope not, 2 mornings in a row last week I was up until 3am worrying about sleeping through an exam. How ironic is that? Anyway, yeah, bit of a waste of time this. I'm off to study too.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 thejetset

Just thought I should chime in. The 1 hour late thing was intentional and was a joke between the developer and a friend to do with his computer's clock being wrong. Also, the countdown is based on YOUR computer's time, so don't trust it entirely. Also, it provides no guarantee of accuracy either... Enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Desire.

The worrying thing is the OP is actually serious!

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭what.to.do

I suggest you stop arguing on Boards, and go study ;)

Four for you, Glen Cocco, you go Glen Cocco.

Truth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

How can you set an alarm by this? You know the time of your exams so you set it to wake you up on time. Why and how would you set an alarm by this?

epic_fail.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Framble

Even if you did set your alarm by number of hours to go, why would you do it 4 days in advance instead of the night before?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

I for one am glad this was spotted, good job OP i was relying on this to wake me up.
    :p tbh i know a few people who would do something like this so well spotted.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭biggaman

wasted around 10 minutes just reading this :D procrastination all the way :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

biggaman wrote: »
    wasted around 10 minutes just reading this :D procrastination all the way :cool:

If you were going by the LCTimer.. That would have been 1 hour 10 minutes...! :eek:

:p

Advertisement