Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German food in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭alois

Hosch richt!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭connewitz

galah wrote: »
    F.A. hm....sent hubby to check it out (after rumours in the Galway forum ;-)) - he looked in, but didnt dare to go in since there was noone else in the shop, and he was afraid they'd speak German to him....hehehe ;-)

Connewitz: Hope you got lucky with your blueberries! We have ours in the full sun, not sure what the recommendation is, but ours are doing grand ;-)

I do know a woman in Newbridge. She is from Bavaria and here since 10 years. She told me, that the only authentic German food can be bought at the Sunday market at the O2. Was there once and they had German bread and cake. The rest was like at the French market.
    No luck with blueberry plants so far. Where did you buy yours?
    I was in Kildare, Johnstown, Newbridge and Emo. Nobody ever had blueberry plants. They all looked at me as if I was escaped from a lunatic asylum! :o
    Hope you have more luck with the German food shop. Galway is just a little too far away from where I live.:mad:

alois wrote: »
    Hosch richt!!!

Guys you are worth every minute I do spend in this thread!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

peasant wrote: »
    Die Zwiebeln auf Kaesspaetzle mussen in Butter gebraeunt werden. Die braune Butter und die warmen Zwiebeln machen die Kaesspaetzle erst perfekt.

da spricht der echte Schwabe ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

connewitz wrote: »
    I do know a woman in Newbridge. She is from Bavaria and here since 10 years. She told me, that the only authentic German food can be bought at the Sunday market at the O2. Was there once and they had German bread and cake. The rest was like at the French market.
    No luck with blueberry plants so far. Where did you buy yours?
    I was in Kildare, Johnstown, Newbridge and Emo. Nobody ever had blueberry plants. They all looked at me as if I was escaped from a lunatic asylum! :o
    Hope you have more luck with the German food shop. Galway is just a little too far away from where I live.:mad:

OH MY GOD, Pflaumenmus, really?? Have to scour the Polish shops again! Thanks for that!

We bought our plants in B&Q in Galway - it *might* not be the right season (I have no idea), but I'm pretty sure we bought ours last year in spring...I'll check it here again if you want!

Cheshire Cat: Great, thanks for the Malzbier tip! Will definitely check out that shop, go past there every day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

peasant wrote: »
    Vorgebraeunte Zwiebeln aus der Packung ...da straeubt sich des Schwaben Nackenhaar

Franken dürfen das ;)

galah wrote: »
    OH MY GOD, Pflaumenmus, really?? Have to scour the Polish shops again! Thanks for that!

Da tropft der Zahn, eh?;) It is really quite good and the price as well. One jar for Euro 1.50 (290g).
    The maker is LOWICZ and it is called Powidla wegierkowe. Would translate to plum butter (so it says on the back of the jar). You will find it among all the other jams.
    I will keep a lookout for them elusive blueberry plants.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Du kannst Blaubeerpflanzen in einigen Euro-Shops im Moment bekommen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Sauerdough

Hi Folks,

Is there anybody out there missing German Sourdough bread?

So did I until I started baking it myself a few month ago. My mom was baking sourdough when I was a child so I had a chat with her and have now two thriving sourdough cultures. One rye (Roggen) and wheat.

To cut a long story short - I was asked if I would like to sell it on a new local food and farmer's market in Donabate. First I was a bit reluctant but then I thought I'll give it a shot! I offer a small range of sourdough loaves with flavours added by mixed seeds, herbs, roasted onion etc but also the good plain German Country Bread (Deutsches Landbrot)- Sourdough at it's purest. If you are interested, I have a facebook page called "Rebekka | Sauerdough" with some pictures and more info on it.

If you like, come along and try it. It's on every Saturday 10.30 - 15.00 in Donabate in front of the St. Patrick's Hall (in the middle of the village opposite the church). Donabate is on the M1, exit 4 - well signposted or on the northbound train to Dundalk/Drogheda, 25 mins from the City Centre.

Hope to see you there - I'll keep a sample for you!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,422 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Regarding blueberries, no need to cultivate them as the wild form (bilberries, whortleberries, etc.) grows all around Ireland, mainly in mountainous areas but also in woodland. I pick them all the time when I'm out hiking here in Wicklow .. my fingers and tongue are purple at the end of the day!

Usually they start to ripen in August, although it can be earlier or later depending on the weather.

In Irish they're called fraochán, or fraughan in the anglicized form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

fraochán fool....nyom nyom nyom... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭F.A.

Preusse wrote: »
    There're also some online options. I haven't tried them....yet.

Found this for many of my childhood sweets (it's a German shop):

http://www.worldofsweets.de/

Just to give you the thumbs up for that one. Placed a rather big order (a few birthdays coming up ;) ) on Monday, and it's just arrived in perfect condition. I'm quite impressed and rather delighted! :D

F.A. wrote: »
    Just to give you the thumbs up for that one. Placed a rather big order (a few birthdays coming up ;) ) on Monday, and it's just arrived in perfect condition. I'm quite impressed and rather delighted! :D

This is sooooooooo mean! I gave up smoking over one year ago, run every day in the gym and swim in the pool - just to keep the weight off. And now you sent this link! :mad:
    Had a look into it. OMG, what an assortment. F... the calories, I will order something! Is it very easy to order or do you have to become a member of something?
    How long does it take to arrive? I would be thankful, if you could reply.

I found it all pretty straightforward. Registration is required (so you have a password etc.), but that was done within a minute or two. The part that took longest was picking what I wanted! ;)

I had some trouble with paying by credit card - something to do with not having a postal code and/or street number, so I payed by Paypal. That means I ended up getting a) the registration mail, b) the order confirmation mail, c) the payment confirmation mail, and d) the order sent mail which came complete with a tracking number (DHL delivered). All done this Monday, and the order arrived yesterday morning.

When you enter your details for delivery, it allows you to send them a small message as well - I simply informed them about the postal codes and street numbers, just to make sure they didn't think the address wasn't valid (had that problem before with some stupid German shop - will never order there again).

All in all, I am more than satisfied and will happily order again. :)

I had some trouble with paying by credit card - something to do with not having a postal code and/or street number, so I payed by Paypal. That means I ended up getting a) the registration mail, b) the order confirmation mail, c) the payment confirmation mail, and d) the order sent mail which came complete with a tracking number (DHL delivered). All done this Monday, and the order arrived yesterday morning.

I had this problem a lot of times with my credit card as well. Never payed with pay pal. Is this really safe? Heard a lot of very sad stories. People paying and never got their stuff or it was crap.
    Can you look in the senders records and see if they are reliable? Do I have to be a registered user of pay pal? Sorry for all them questions, but I lost money on orders before, don`t want it happen again!:o

I've sent you a pm! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

I had this problem a lot of times with my credit card as well. Never payed with pay pal. Is this really safe? Heard a lot of very sad stories. People paying and never got their stuff or it was crap.
    Can you look in the senders records and see if they are reliable? Do I have to be a registered user of pay pal? Sorry for all them questions, but I lost money on orders before, don`t want it happen again!:o

I have used Paypal over the last 5-6 years and never had a problem. As a matter of fact I ordered something online once and the seller (a combany rather than an individual) just wouldn't send me the items, always fobbing me off. As soon as I lodged a payment issue complaint with Paypal (you do that in your Paypal account online) they retrieved all my money. Granted I didn't get the items but I got all my money back and re-ordered the items somewhere else and for a better price at that ;) So, I find it really easy and convenient to use Paypal and have some added security rather than sending/transfering my money directly.

I've sent you a pm! :)

Thanks a lot for the pm! It sounds better than the ebay stuff. You are right with the risk taking. I have to try it myself. Will have a look at the link as well.
    Thanks again and enjoy all your lovely sweets!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 32 schubi

Hallo zusammen!

Quark gibt es in allen Polenlaeden, nennt sich "Twarog" ;) und gibt es mit und ohne Zucker (ggf. auf den Zutaten nach "cukr" suchen).

Beim Thema Frischfleisch schwoere ich auf die Fleisch- und Wursttheke im Rasputin, Blanchardstown (Coolmine Ind. Est., neben Powercity) - dort gibt es (wenigstens Samstags) frisches Fleisch, Innereien, Wurstsalate, Klopse, guten Kaese etc. .

Ausserdem kriegt man im Rasputin saures Gemuese aller Coleur, fertige Soljanka, frisches Schwarzbrot, Mischbrot, etc, Jacob's Kroenung, Kekse und Plaetzchen, ... allerhand - man muss halt nur etwas rumprobieren. Hab' letzten's sogar Puddingpulver gefunden. Die Leberwurst ist so lala - aber besser als nix, oder die Pasteten, die man ueberall sonst bekommt.

Ansonsten, den deutschen Fleischer in Killarney kann ich waermstens empfehlen, schade, dass der so weit weg ist von Dublin.

Stone Oven in Arklow hat seit vielen Jahren geschlossen, der Baecker Friedrich ist in Ruhestand gegangen.

Dafuer macht ja Lidl jetzt in vielen Filialen frisches Gebaeck und manchmal sogar Laugenbrezen.

Alles in allem hat sich die Situation fuer teutonische Gaumen WESENTLICH verbessert, die Shops der osteuropaeischen Nachbarn bieten vieles und mit ein bisschen Probieren, wird man ganz gut satt :-)

Gruss, Schubi.

Hast Du "twarog" mal gekostet? :eek: Ist nämlich nicht das, was man in Deutschland unter Quark versteht. Ist schwer zu beschreiben, ähnelt am ehesten einem mageren, sehr trockenen Quark mit reichlich Mehl versetzt. Mein Fall ist es nicht... :(

Danke aber für die Bestätigung, dass der Fleischer in Killarney tatsächlich was taugt - da fahr ich nämlich demnächst hin. :)

• Advertisement

Danke fuer die Anregungen! Mit dem Quark muss ich F.A. zustimmen. Habe den auch ausprobiert und versucht eine Quarktorte ohne Boden zu backen - war echt der Reinfall. Die Torte ist normalerweise S E H R saftig, hier kam nur ein trockenes, kruemeliges Etwas zustande.
    Meine Tochter war auch beim Fleischer in Killarney. Die haben dort ein kleines Vermoegen gelassen, aber es war echt Spitzenqualitaet. Ist halt nur eine sehr lange Fahrt fuer Lebensmitteleinkauf. Obwohl, wenn ich so darueber nachdenke, wie oft wir nach Nordirland zum Einkauf gefahren sind.........

• Registered Users Posts: 7,846 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Meine Tochter war auch beim Fleischer in Killarney. Die haben dort ein kleines Vermoegen gelassen, aber es war echt Spitzenqualitaet. Ist halt nur eine sehr lange Fahrt fuer Lebensmitteleinkauf. Obwohl, wenn ich so darueber nachdenke, wie oft wir nach Nordirland zum Einkauf gefahren sind.........

Für die jenigen die ein Tagesausflug quer durch Irland machen wollen: ein ganz neue Angebot von Irish Rail.
    - A €20 Day Return fare from Dublin to any where in the Republic of Ireland by rail on Saturdays (€10 for children, €50 for a family of 2 adults and up to 4 children)- only available from the booking office.
    http://www.irishrail.ie/news_centre/news.asp?action=view&news_id=1122

ok, es gibt €10 tickets wenn man in voraus bucht, aber dieses oben ist spontan ohne vorherige buchung zu verfügung.

also, für ein Tagesausflug von Dublin oder Kildare nach Kilarney perfekt geeignet!!

... dann scheint's verschiedene Sorten zu geben, also mein Quarkkuchen war wunderbar saftig und der Quark selber auch nicht trocken oder mager. Muss man wohl mal rumprobieren.

Mit dem Zug nach Killarney? Kommt man da noch am selben Tag an? ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,846 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

schubi wrote: »
    Mit dem Zug nach Killarney? Kommt man da noch am selben Tag an? ;-)
    Ja Klar!

7 oder 9 Uhr ab Dublin bedeutet 10.30 oder 12.30 dort in Killarney.
    Züruck kann man am 15:15, 17:15 oder 19:15 los legen so dass man in Dublin am 19:30, 21.25 oder 23:20 ist.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭morninwood

Hallo zusammen,

weiss irgendwer wo ich in Dublin Rahmspinat kaufen kann???? Will keinen selber machen :D
    Eine Quelle fuer richtigen Schmand waere auch sehr wuenschenswert.

Gruesse,
    Dan

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

morninwood wrote: »
    Rahmspinat

Hallo Omi, kennst du schon den Blubb? :D:D:D

sorry ...keine Ahnung

Hallo zusammen,

weiss irgendwer wo ich in Dublin Rahmspinat kaufen kann???? Will keinen selber machen :D

Hi Dan,

ich bilde mir ein, dass ich welchem im Gefrierfach von www.eurasia.ie gesehen hab - einen multi-kulti-Supermarkt im Fonthill Estate, Liffey Valley, Dublin - gleich neben Power City und ein bisschen vor Aldi.

Kann aber auch nur gehackter und gefrorener Spinat gewesen sein, ich hab's nicht gekauft.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Hallo zusammen,

Eine Quelle fuer richtigen Schmand waere auch sehr wuenschenswert.

Gruesse,
    Dan

Also ich hole meinen Schmand immer in einem polnischen Laden...'Smietana' oder so aehnlich heisst der, das kommt der deutschen Version sehr nahe.

Aber Spinat? Keine Ahnung, ich esse sowas leider nicht ;)

Manno... Musstet ihr Schmand erwähnen?? Jetzt hab ich ganz dolle Appetit auf Mohn-Schmand-Kuchen - aber nur noch eine Backung Mohnback. Dis tut's auch nich geben tun hier... :(:(

*schmoll*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

Someone asked for decent Greek restaurants - they do exist:
    Dollakis in Enniskillen
    Cape Greko in Malahide
    They each have a website, just google

Greek cuisine is also offered in the Kells post office (yes, really) near Caherciveen in Kerry, more simple stuff (Moussaka, Tzatziki, salads etc.)

As for Quark. You get the real stuff right here (tried & tested by myself): http://www.kilbegdairydelights.ie/
    There is a list of shops on the website where they sell their products.

Otherwise check the "cream cheese" from Glenilen farm: http://www.glenilenfarm.com/
    It's not as solid as the real Quark from Kilbeg, but does the job.
    At Tesco or Dunnes you might find occasionally "fromage frais", same thing with different name, but not very solid.

Now Schmand. You'll get it usually at Aldi. If not, try Mascarpone. It's basically the same and available everywhere.

To die for is the buffolo creme cheese (Quark) with wild garlic from The Real Olive Company. They have stalls all over Ireland: http://www.therealoliveco.com/

Advertisement