Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German food in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭connewitz

F.A. wrote: »

What I dearly miss is different cuts of meats. I'm sorry, but Irish butchers are sorely missing in that department! And don't get me started on sausages... Leberwurst... Teewurst... Bierschinken... Lyoner... *sob* :(

HEIMWEH!!

Btw, slightly OT, but since you can get them in any bigger supermarket in Germany: Have any of you been able to track down tinned San Marzano tomatoes?

Thank you for the tip with the Greek jogurt. Will try it so.
    Hey and you are soooooooooo right with the meat cuts and sausages. What I do miss the most is Leberkaese and the Suelze. No way to copy this here - no Eisbein.
    In Lidl and Aldi there is a sausage nearly the same as Lyoner. I am using it for my Makkaroni. It is really nice.
    The tinned tomatoes I have seen in Northern Ireland. Not so sure if it was in ASDA or Tesco.
    How long are you living in Ireland?
    I am here since 9 years. Last winter we were in Austria visiting my daughter (she is German but lives in Tirol). I was eating like there is no tomorrow!!!!!!!!:o All the good stuff. YUMMY!!!! We`ll go in August again!
    Happy times are coming!:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

peasant wrote: »
    The cheese would be Emmentaler (can be got in Tesco and other places) but a mature cheddar would do at a pinch.

The sausage is going to be difficult. It's usually "Lyoner" or "Schinkenwurst" which I haven't really seen around here.

Lidl used to do a big, fat "Fleischwurst" in a yellow skin ...that might work.

And don't use malt vinegar ...go with white balsamico

It's more like Kinderwurst and a better cheese would be Grueyer. Horgan's garlic salami would be a close match but with the garlic:) But too much of the wurst crap isn't good for you.

What I dearly miss is different cuts of meats. I'm sorry, but Irish butchers are sorely missing in that department! And don't get me started on sausages... Leberwurst... Teewurst... Bierschinken... Lyoner... *sob* :(

HEIMWEH!!

Hardly premium meats. But if you're stuck you can get German ' cut versions' at McGeoughs in Oughterard, Connemara. Owner is Irish (but married German woman), spent several years training to be a Meister Fleischer and regularly wins accolades home and abroad (more for his dry cure meat products).

You'll not be disappointed, his locally sourced meat products will beat any German meat offering anyday.

Guten Appetit.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭F.A.

Hardly premium meats.

My grandfather is a butcher, I am spoilt that way. Just because you haven't tasted any decent Leberwurst et al doesn't mean it can't be premium, trust you me! ;) And funnily enough, even a cheapo wannabe Teewurst beats any Irish meats I have tried. My boyfriend is Irish and happens to agree... I'm not saying there isn't any decent meats/cuts available here, but I'll be quite honest: the smell of most butchers here is more than enough to make me stay far, far away! Not to mention that they put white meat right next to red meat... No. Just... no.
    But if you're stuck you can get German ' cut versions' at McGeoughs in Oughterard, Connemara. Owner is Irish (but married German woman), spent several years training to be a Meister Fleischer and regularly wins accolades home and abroad (more for his dry cure meat products).

You'll not be disappointed, his locally sourced meat products will beat any German meat offering anyday.

Guten Appetit.;)

Thanks. There is a German butcher in Killarney as well, will give him a try pretty soon.

My grandfather is a butcher, I am spoilt that way. Just because you haven't tasted any decent Leberwurst et al doesn't mean it can't be premium, trust you me! ;) And funnily enough, even a cheapo wannabe Teewurst beats any Irish meats I have tried. My boyfriend is Irish and happens to agree... I'm not saying there isn't any decent meats/cuts available here, but I'll be quite honest: the smell of most butchers here is more than enough to make me stay far, far away! Not to mention that they put white meat right next to red meat... No. Just... no.

Thanks. There is a German butcher in Killarney as well, will give him a try pretty soon.

You've no idea of my eating experience with Leberwurst. Yes it can be nice but also it is basic not premium. Just look at how such products are made, the ingredients mostly 'waste' cuts. You've obviously no idea of the German intense farming methods particularly pork. Is this a case of 'I didn't know?'.

Poor thing you, that the odours keep you away.

Here's another piece of information, did you know that there are more stringent standards applying to the production of petfood than Leberwurst/Teewurst etc.

• Advertisement

You've no idea of my eating experience with Leberwurst. Yes it can be nice but also it is basic not premium. Just look at how such products are made, the ingredients mostly 'waste' cuts. You've obviously no idea of the German intense farming methods particularly pork. Is this a case of 'I didn't know?'.

Poor thing you, that the odours keep you away.

Here's another piece of information, did you know that there are more stringent standards applying to the production of petfood than Leberwurst/Teewurst etc.

Keep the condescension to yourself, thanks. Like I have said, my grandfather is a butcher. I am very well aware of what goes into your standard supermarket meats - but you fail to understand that I am not talking about these. Hence my mentioning my grandfather. Leberwurst is often made of waste cuts, true, but it doesn't have to. Same goes for Teewurst.

I can only hazard a guess that you're Irish and feel offended by me missing German products and considering them to be tastier than their Irish counterparts - please bark up another tree, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Keep the condescension to yourself.

Den Ball immer schoen flach halten, bitte

Dankeschoen

/ moderator

I did not imagine, that a discussion about German food could get out of control like this! We are all grown ups, or are we?!
    Could we get back to the subject please and leave the bickering aside?
    The only thing I figured out in this "war" between Sonnenblume and F.A. was, that there are German butchers in Ireland. Are they all this far away from Dublin or does anyone know of a German butcher near the capital?
    And by the way, my grandfather done all the slaughtering himself and the meat and sausages were just out of this world! So I can understand your point F.A.:), it is really a different kettle of fish compared to the supermarket!
    We need to stick together here, so that we find our favorite food.;)

connewitz wrote: »
    In Lidl and Aldi there is a sausage nearly the same as Lyoner. I am using it for my Makkaroni. It is really nice.

Do you mean Fleischwurst? I use that to make Soljanka, works very well. Also made a simple Fleischsalat with it once and used the rests for Heringssalat. Was quite nice.
    The tinned tomatoes I have seen in Northern Ireland. Not so sure if it was in ASDA or Tesco.

Pity, that's a little too far away - am based in Limerick.
    How long are you living in Ireland?

It will be six years soon...
    We`ll go in August again!Happy times are coming!:D:D:D

Enjoy! :) I was over just a few weeks ago, filled my bags with goodies and am now impatiently waiting for a family visit in a few weeks time. Fresspaket ahoi! :D

Enjoy! :) I was over just a few weeks ago, filled my bags with goodies and am now impatiently waiting for a family visit in a few weeks time. Fresspaket ahoi! :D

I know, it is a pain in the bum - there are a good few shops around which have nice food, but always too far away. I myself are living in Co. Kildare. Not too far from Dublin, but, as it seems, there are no German food shops in the capital.
    I am not so sure, if there is still the German baker in Killarney. Heard it through the grape vines. So, if you should go to the butcher there, just try to find out, if this elusive bakery still exists.
    The Fleischwurst I did use for Potato salad and it was really nice.
    We have to start to send recipe`s with all the substitutes.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I always use the ring of Fleischwurst from LIDL, the one with the orange plastic skin. It's the same taste as the one I always bought in Germany...and it's gorgeous in a warm potato salad. Just add a glass of Gewuerzgurken (I really can't translate that one now) including some of the juice. Yummy :cool:

Lars1916 wrote: »
    I always use the ring of Fleischwurst from LIDL, the one with the orange plastic skin. It's the same taste as the one I always bought in Germany...and it's gorgeous in a warm potato salad. Just add a glass of Gewuerzgurken (I really can't translate that one now) including some of the juice. Yummy :cool:

I have done exactly the same and the relation of my partner loved it!:)
    So, whenever the family comes together, I am in charge of the potato salad.
    I think the translation for Gewuerzgurken is pickled gerkin.

Keep the condescension to yourself, thanks. Like I have said, my grandfather is a butcher. I am very well aware of what goes into your standard supermarket meats - but you fail to understand that I am not talking about these. Hence my mentioning my grandfather. Leberwurst is often made of waste cuts, true, but it doesn't have to. Same goes for Teewurst.

I can only hazard a guess that you're Irish and feel offended by me missing German products and considering them to be tastier than their Irish counterparts - please bark up another tree, though.

You're the one with the 'wrong attitude', and you would be better to read before you write. Unlike you, I have not ciriticise anyone or anything. Apart from merely correcting your claims that there are no good butchers in Ireland, I gave examples, and also correctly stated that wurst is made from what butchers would consider waste meat products.

Enjoy your Leberwurst. I'll enjoy my premium meats. Who cares.

Sonnenblumen
    As I've asked F.A. to keep cool, it's only fair to ask the same of you. Please refrain from getting personal, thank you

Now back to sausages and the like :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Drico

You're the one with the 'wrong attitude', and you would be better to read before you write. Unlike you, I have not ciriticise anyone or anything. Apart from merely correcting your claims that there are no good butchers in Ireland

I fail to see how you can correct a claim that was never made. Where in this thread has FA claimed that "there are no good butchers in Ireland"? I suggest you take your own advice. It's the best contribution you've made in this thread... And if you are going to get uppity that somebody prefers German cuts of meat and German butchery over what many Irish butchers provide, it might help your argument if the Irish butcher you recommended hadn't trained in Germany for six years. ;)

Anyway, now that this point of fact has been confirmed, getting back on topic: sour cherries, which aren't easy to get in Ireland, can be found in many Polish shops in the freezer section. They are great for cakes like Donauwellen. :) Mmmmmmmmmmmmm *salivates* German cakes *drools*

You're the one with the 'wrong attitude', and you would be better to read before you write.

Enjoy your Leberwurst. I'll enjoy my premium meats. Who cares.

Hi Sonnenblumen!

There is a nice saying in German and I am sure that you are from Germany.
    Schmeiss nicht mit der Wurst nach dem Schinken!
    Mahlzeit!:cool:

Drico wrote: »
    I fail to see how you can correct a claim that was never made. Where in this thread has FA claimed that "there are no good butchers in Ireland"? I suggest you take your own advice. It's the best contribution you've made in this thread... And if you are going to get uppity that somebody prefers German cuts of meat and German butchery over what many Irish butchers provide, it might help your argument if the Irish butcher you recommended hadn't trained in Germany for six years. ;)

Anyway, now that this point of fact has been confirmed, getting back on topic: sour cherries, which aren't easy to get in Ireland, can be found in many Polish shops in the freezer section. They are great for cakes like Donauwellen. :) Mmmmmmmmmmmmm *salivates* German cakes *drools*

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Hi Sonnenblumen!

There is a nice saying in German and I am sure that you are from Germany.
    Schmeiss nicht mit der Wurst nach dem Schinken!
    Mahlzeit!:cool:

Danke, gleichfalls!

Nein, bin kein deutscher, aber das ist egal. :)

'Schmeiss nicht mit der Wurst nach dem Schinken'? I am German, but until now, I didn't know that one ;)

However...Donauwellen? *Drewl* :cool:

I got a tin of cherries in Tesco the other day, they do the trick.

Lars1916 wrote: »
    'Schmeiss nicht mit der Wurst nach dem Schinken'? I am German, but until now, I didn't know that one ;)

Hi Lars!
    This is a very common proverb where I am from. And I thought that it was very appropriate for this little discussion between F.A. and Sonnenblumen.
    Has anyone of you ever seen blueberries in tins or jars?
    We were last summer in the Slieve Bloom Mountains and picked blueberries galore but I never found them in the shelf`s. Any recommendations?
    Last week I did find a marinade for potato salad in a polish shop in Kildare.
    Tasted really good.;)

• Advertisement

What I do miss the most is Leberkaese and the Suelze. No way to copy this here - no Eisbein.

Good news if you have Polish shop with a proper meat section nearby:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eisbein

Read the second sentence! :)

Has anyone of you ever seen blueberries in tins or jars?
    We were last summer in the Slieve Bloom Mountains and picked blueberries galore but I never found them in the shelf`s. Any recommendations?

Haven't seen them in jars or tins, no, but you can get them fresh in the fruit and veg section at Tesco's, Dunnes, Superquinn's... - they're quite expensive though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

can confirm the sighting of Quark in Dunnes (even in Galway!). 1.99 euro per pot though, makes ya weep...

Have not been able to find nice sour cherries in a jar so far - not even in Polish shops. You can get them in the North, but it's a bit of a hike just for that ;-)

Still miss Teewurst, proper Blutwurst, Leberkaese and Butterkaese. But we're getting there - quark and the Lidl bakery (great rye bread and Kaesebroetchen) is definitely a start to something good ;-)

Blueberries: grow your own, it's worth it ;-)

galah wrote: »
    can confirm the sighting of Quark in Dunnes (even in Galway!). 1.99 euro per pot though, makes ya weep...

Hefty price indeed, but I will definitely look around the bigger Dunnes stores here so. Keep your fingers crossed for me, please!

I also found a little article you might find helpful. It's a few years old, but still worth reading I think.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Not sure if it's been mentioned here, but some of the Lidl's have bakeries now and the bread is as close to German bakeries as you'll get.

There is also a German guy that appears in Howth alot on Sunday's that cooks and sells Bratwurst and Currywurst, but he has a few German condiments and bits and pieces as well.

Now we just need a decent doner place :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

doner reminds me...does anyone know of a *decent* Greek restaurant anywhere (have car, will travel)?

I've 10 lovely currywursts in the freezer for a rainy day, plus German curry ketchup and curry spice, sorted on that front ;-)

that article mentions a few more things I am always bringing over as well - 'Pflaumenmus' (plum jam, kind of) being one of them. Has anyone seen a good substitute anywhere? Malzbier is another one I do crave now and then...

edit: gawd, I just realised that I used the anglizised plural of currywurst. dear oh dear. It should be 'Currywürste', obviously...;-P

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Not sure if it's been mentioned here, but some of the Lidl's have bakeries now and the bread is as close to German bakeries as you'll get.

There is also a German guy that appears in Howth alot on Sunday's that cooks and sells Bratwurst and Currywurst, but he has a few German condiments and bits and pieces as well.

Now we just need a decent doner place :)

Have you got any details about that man who sells Bratwurst and Currywurst in Howth, please?

And about Doner, the Alpine Grill in Artane do a decent one :cool:

galah wrote: »
    edit: gawd, I just realised that I used the anglizised plural of currywurst. dear oh dear. It should be 'Currywürste', obviously...;-P

Tjaja ...frueher oder spaeter kriegen wir Sie :D

(auch ohne Mueller Joghurt)

Nee, aber "mit Danone-Joghurt! Weil der ist gesuuund...Hmmm, der schmeckt ganz toll!" :p

Thanks for putting this spot back into my head - am having flashbacks of a good friend imitating this child from the ad at a mad party. :D

• Advertisement

Good news if you have Polish shop with a proper meat section nearby:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eisbein

Read the second sentence! :)

Thanks a million!
    Okay so will ask for golonka. Maybe they will cringe when I say this (polish is not an easy language), but there is a good butcher in Cork. Might try it there when we will be in Cork again. Kildare has only a poxy shop, the same in Portarlington.:mad:

Advertisement