Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German food in Dublin

Options
  • 23-06-2010 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭

Aldi and Lidl (polish shops do austrian type food) are a godsend.
    is there still a German bakery in D4?
    i discovered a guy selling Bratwurst on the nortn side in a shopping centre near abbeygate street.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Fuinseog wrote:
    Aldi and Lidl (polish shops do austrian type food) are a godsend.
    is there still a German bakery in D4?
    i discovered a guy selling Bratwurst on the nortn side in a shopping centre near abbeygate street.

Have a look here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055762830

Not sure if there's anything up nearer to Graftonpark Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭connewitz

Hallo! Wollte nur schnell anmerken, dass es einen deutschen Fleischer und Baecker in Killarney gibt. Falls sie/du mal dort sein solltest - es ist die Reise wert. Gute Wurst und leckeres Fleisch. Baecker sehr zeitig ausverkauft mit Brot und Broetchen, aber Kuchen kann man noch bekommen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 shoeaddict27

there is a german bakery near portobello bridge, just at the back of the college

of course its too early but there is a german christmas market held at the IFSC every year and they will sell lots of traditional german food.

other than that its prob best to find stuff at aldi and lidl. the aldi products are much better quality

i know the bull and castle pub at christchuch is set up like a german beer hall with all the traditional beers but i'm not sure what type of food they serve

• Registered Users Posts: 21,422 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The Roundwood Inn in Roundwood, Co. Wicklow is owned by a German couple and they have a German head chef.

http://www.ireland-guide.com/establishment/roundwood_inn.4159.html

Always seems a bit odd to be in an Irish bar and see Brathering and Gulaschsuppe on the menu :) Tends to be a good place for Wild (game) during the season too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

There is a German Imbiss in the epicurian centre off Abbey street. I think he just sells bratwurst and brezels though.

And now I'll try and write it in German.:o

Der gibst ein Deutsche imbiss im der Epicurian centre auf der Abbey strasse. Aber ich dencke er verkauft nur bratwurst und brezel.

Please feel free to correct me, it's been a while and I'm a little rusty.

• Advertisement

weiland79 wrote: »
    There is a German Imbiss in the epicurian centre off Abbey street. I think he just sells bratwurst and brezels though.

And now I'll try and write it in German.:o

Der gibst ein Deutsche imbiss im der Epicurian centre auf der Abbey strasse. Aber ich dencke er verkauft nur bratwurst und brezel.

Please feel free to correct me, it's been a while and I'm a little rusty.

Danke fuer den Tipp!:D
    So nun zum Vergleich fuer dich! (Now for comparison for you.)
    Im Epicurian Centrum in der Abbey Strasse gibt es einen deutschen Imbiss. Aber ich glaube, er verkauft nur Bratwurst und Bretzeln.

I do look for German food since a while. Moved to Ireland 8 years ago and miss the food from home desperately! So I am really thankfully for recommendations! Your German is quite good not so much off!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Alun wrote: »
    The Roundwood Inn in Roundwood, Co. Wicklow is owned by a German couple and they have a German head chef.
    http://www.ireland-guide.com/establishment/roundwood_inn.4159.html
    Always seems a bit odd to be in an Irish bar and see Brathering and Gulaschsuppe on the menu :) Tends to be a good place for Wild (game) during the season too.
    Head chef (my dad) has since retired but they still serve the same food.
    No german chef there now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

Head chef (my dad) has since retired but they still serve the same food.
    No german chef there now though.

Food is great in there, I even seen Kofi Annan going in for a bite one time!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Yeh, theres been all sorts over the years. Does anyone know of any german bakerys in the tipp. Region. There was a place in arklow the stone oven? But theyv been gone a while now not sure if they moved or closed altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭pdebarra

Possible hijack?

Schweizer Wurstsalat. During my time in Austria, I became convinced that there can be no better food. It's got everything.

I just need to know what cheese is usually used, and what sausage, so I can make the bastard myself now that I'm back in Ireland!

Erm, assuming, that is, that both cheese and sausage can be found here...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The cheese would be Emmentaler (can be got in Tesco and other places) but a mature cheddar would do at a pinch.

The sausage is going to be difficult. It's usually "Lyoner" or "Schinkenwurst" which I haven't really seen around here.

Lidl used to do a big, fat "Fleischwurst" in a yellow skin ...that might work.

And don't use malt vinegar ...go with white balsamico

Wonderful! I'll see about the Fleischwurst, then - the rest is easy to come by!

Danke vielmals.

apparently Tesco does it too:

112102.jpg?ts=633656371500

Wunderbar! Ab zum Supermarkt ;)

You can get the same sausage in Lidl and sometimes Aldi has it as well. If there is a cheese counter in your Tesco ask for the mature Edamer! Yummy!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

What's the recipe (for those of us reading and slavering without a clue)?

(Actually a few recipes would be good!)

What's the recipe (for those of us reading and slavering without a clue)?

(Actually a few recipes would be good!)

Got one link for you http://www.deliciousdays.com/archives/2009/09/15/sausage-salad-bavarian-swiss-or-austrian/. This is just the salad. If you can wait for a couple of days I can send you more. My daughter`s boyfriend is from Austria. They are moving to Austria on the 13.10. and will be here for a last visit (3 days). I can ask him for more recipes if you want.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

The German shop in the Epicurean Centre, Abbey Street, Dublin, closed :( The owners will still be selling at various markets around Dublin area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Danny1980

Aldi & Lidl are heaven sent indeed, glad I can get proper Bratwurst there, the irish little sausages are ok, but very fatty and can't be compared to the german ones...by far not!
    I also buy Bockwurst there...yum yum and Fleischwurst aswell whan I'm doing Nudelsalat. There's just some things that are hard to get in Irish shops like dried roasted Breadcrumbs (Paniermehl) - I get them in the Polish shop), as usual here U get mainly stuffing and to roast and grind that is additional work to do) Although I choose to live here 5 years ago, some things I prefer from german shops. (I'm cooking as well as german as Irish - my housemates liked my "Schnitzels" very much! ) No offence but looking at bakery products here like muffins with tons of icing sugar (BB's and co.)...ugh...way too sweet! And as named the sausages...but well after all those years here I'm running out of other examples, I am just so adjusted to it that I harly take notice now.

Greetings to all the Germans and Oirish on here...Dia Dhuit! (-:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Tesco do those 'Meisterhof Frankfurters', a 10 pack of them lasts maybe 5 minutes...including heating them up :D

But Schnitzel? Where can I get them? I sometimes go to Lidl in Cork Street, but never found them :(

• Advertisement

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Tesco do those 'Meisterhof Frankfurters', a 10 pack of them lasts maybe 5 minutes...including heating them up :D

But Schnitzel? Where can I get them? I sometimes go to Lidl in Cork Street, but never found them :(

I think we wrote on another topic as well, but this is about German food. What I do miss badly are Rouladen. I just can get the right cut of beef for them. Any ideas or do you know a butcher who would make such cuts?
    Does anyone know where to buy Quark? I do miss my German food very much! Frankfurters are nice. Got the mix for Kartoffelsalat in the Polish shop and made a good old German potato salad. The Irish loved it so much, I have to make it now at every party in our house.
    Schnitzel is a cut the butchers don`t do here. As far as our butcher has told me, the times were they could do their own cuts are over. The get most of the meat pre-cut. The same with heart, kidneys and other "inner" stuff. It is mostly about food safety.
    Lidl has more Irish products than German products, because they only buy stuff they can sell again and the Irish are not very fond of the German food. But maybe we`ll find butchers or bakery`s for our taste. Hope is the last thing to die.

connewitz wrote: »
    I think we wrote on another topic as well, but this is about German food. What I do miss badly are Rouladen. I just can get the right cut of beef for them. Any ideas or do you know a butcher who would make such cuts?
    Does anyone know where to buy Quark? I do miss my German food very much! Frankfurters are nice. Got the mix for Kartoffelsalat in the Polish shop and made a good old German potato salad. The Irish loved it so much, I have to make it now at every party in our house.
    Schnitzel is a cut the butchers don`t do here. As far as our butcher has told me, the times were they could do their own cuts are over. The get most of the meat pre-cut. The same with heart, kidneys and other "inner" stuff. It is mostly about food safety.
    Lidl has more Irish products than German products, because they only buy stuff they can sell again and the Irish are not very fond of the German food. But maybe we`ll find butchers or bakery`s for our taste. Hope is the last thing to die.

If you know some decent Polish shops, maybe you find one with a butcher. As far as I know, there is something very similar to Rouladen in Poland, at least on of my Polish friends told me ;)

minute steak, sharp knife ...slice it down the middle horizontally :D

(it can be done !)

peasant wrote: »
    minute steak, sharp knife ...slice it down the middle horizontally :D

(it can be done !)

Don't forget the marinade, please ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

German workmate was deliriously happy to find QUARK in the Dunnes at Blanchardstown this month. :-) now, I wouldn't go as far to say that it will be in every Dunnes, but I'm going to keep an eye out for it as I do like Quark-based cheesecakes (feck the base part!)

Now, does anyone know if the Applegreen petrol station in Stillorgan has a German baker or anything like that? Any time I've gone in there, I see "Amerikaner" donuts and proper Laugenbrot. I'd ask the staff but I pissed off one of the staff when I said she made the coffee wrong (sorry, but it was all froth, no coffee.. anyhoo..:P)

I have a serious weakness for German bakery goods.. damn. :)

German workmate was deliriously happy to find QUARK in the Dunnes at Blanchardstown this month. :-) now, I wouldn't go as far to say that it will be in every Dunnes, but I'm going to keep an eye out for it as I do like Quark-based cheesecakes (feck the base part!)

I have a serious weakness for German bakery goods.. damn. :)

Hi LimeFruitGum, (what a name;)),

I do envy your workmate. Never found Quark anywhere. I do shop in Lidl, Aldi, Tesco and Dunnes. Non of them had it.:mad:
    Was thinking, if I could ask the staff in the German based markets like Lidl and Aldi, if they could order this from Germany. But all the staff is Polish. I think they are happy enough to have their own food in the shelf`s , and you find polish foods galore in Lidl and Aldi! Can`t really not see why they should be bothered to order more German food.
    German and Austrian bakers are the best! I hope, you will have the opportunity to travel to one of this countries and see (taste) for yourself!
    It`s just YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

bloody quark!
    I can never figure a reason why this stuff exists.
    And the love for the stuff. Why is there no love lost for the lack of celery root (cereriac) or pickled herring or the likes? Every episode of every show about germans emmigrating abroad has them missing quark of all things, or finding it but then considering it too expensive just cos its more than the 30c a pot like in Lidl in Germany.

Or brezn/ pretzels? Christ, I'd miss that the most if I were to leave Germany - or at least some sort of fresh bakery product (kase brotchen/ semmel etc) to kick start the morning along with a proper coffee.
    Irish bakerys just do poxy creamy eclair type things with crap chololate on top, and indeed to go with it the most milky coffees, 80% milk, 14% air, and 1% bloody coffee!!

bloody quark!
    I can never figure a reason why this stuff exists.

Beeeecaaaause ....Kaesekuchen (mit Quark) isn't bloody cheescake (with fuppin Philadelphia)

to wit:

Kaesekuchen.jpg

mmmmhhh

vs

Summerfruit_cheesecake.jpg

gack

That's why Quark exists :D

peasant wrote: »
    Beeeecaaaause ....Kaesekuchen (mit Quark) isn't bloody cheescake (with fuppin Philadelphia)

to wit:

Kaesekuchen.jpg

mmmmhhh

vs

Summerfruit_cheesecake.jpg

gack

That's why Quark exists :D

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Stop it, I am laughing so hard, tears are streaming down my face!!!:D
    Yes, Quark makes a cake and not bloody Philadelphia.
    I do think that no one can really compare one to the other. There are WORLDS between them.
    I do miss the Quark and sometimes the pickled herring as well.
    Really miss my German food!:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭F.A.

Okay, for Quarkkuchen I have found that Greek yogurt seems to work. I usually buy two of the big ones from Lidl, pour it into a sieve layered with kitchen towel and leave it in the fridge overnight so that it gets dry. The end result is slightly too sweet, but it does work as a substitute (at least in my family recipe - but I know every German has their own ;) ). I also eat this with potatoes and line seed oil (please, please, please do not buy the latter here in Ireland, no matter if it's a health shop or not... it will taste rancid!), a common dish where I come from and one I really need every now and then.

I have also recently started experimenting with bread baking, the results are quite encouraging. Have not been able to track down "Schabziger Klee" here, though. Pity. Other than that, try it, lads. Even our beloved sourdough is quite easy to make, takes time though. Btw, try Polish shops for fresh yeast if you need it. I would also recommend their Sauerkraut - must tastier than what you'd get at Dunnes, and not so horribly over-acidic.

What I dearly miss is different cuts of meats. I'm sorry, but Irish butchers are sorely missing in that department! And don't get me started on sausages... Leberwurst... Teewurst... Bierschinken... Lyoner... *sob* :(

HEIMWEH!!

Btw, slightly OT, but since you can get them in any bigger supermarket in Germany: Have any of you been able to track down tinned San Marzano tomatoes?

Advertisement