Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

[Writing Contest] - THE ARENA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,446 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

It was a tough choice. Both really well written, but the first was a better story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

After a challenge is accepted, entrants have an initial 24 hours to write around 300 words. Then voting begins runs for an additional 24 hours.

Pickarooney, can you clarify does voting begin only after the initial 24 hours is up (i.e. 24 hours after the challenge is accepted), or if both stories are submitted before the initial 24 hours is up, does the 24 hours of voting begin as soon as the second story is submitted?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I hadn't really thought about it initially but as there's no way of knowing at what time someone thanks a post it seems to make sense that as soon as the stories are both up the voting can begin.

Are you both OK with this one ending at ten to midnight tonight or should we let it run until 9.20 tomorrow morning? Whatever you decide yourselves for now and we'll make a rule about it for next time. As I type this it's 5 votes each...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

I don't mind either way, not really in it to win it as it were, more for the exercise.

24 hours after the second story is posted makes sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

I agree that voting should last 24 hours after both stories are posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

24hrs once the second story is posted seems like the best way - gives people a chance to read them both...
    Can't believe how close this one is - 6 votes a piece...
    What happens if there's a tie? Fight to the death?

If there's a tie, Fewcifur and I have to co-ghostwrite the next Tom Clancy novel.

In the event of a draw, the champion stays on.

Fewcifur needs a vote to swing it.

Let's make the 24 hours after the second story official as nobody seems to object.

24hrs once the second story is posted seems like the best way - gives people a chance to read them both...

And although it hasn't been mentioned, I assume if the champion doesn't accept the challenge/submit their story within the 24 hours, its a forfeit and the challenger becomes the default champion?

• Advertisement

I thought that was explicit but yes that's the way of it.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

And what happens if they tie?

And what happens if they tie?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkuCPYf16xI

7-6, not too bad!

Congratulations, Fewcifur. I hope you have as much difficulty coming up with something for your first challenger's theme as I had for yours :D

Antilles wrote: »
    7-6, not too bad!

Congratulations, Fewcifur. I hope you have as much difficulty coming up with something for your first challenger's theme as I had for yours :D

Thanks Antilles, it was a close thing, which is always nice. I've no doubt I'll be off the hot seat in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Daleno

AWOOOGA!

I challenge Fewcifur. The theme; Death!

Daleno wrote: »
    AWOOOGA!

I challenge Fewcifur. The theme; Death!

Can I just use the same story again :p

Let's Dance good sir, let's dance.

Fewcifur wrote: »
    Can I just use the same story again :p

Let's Dance good sir, let's dance.

It was an inadvertent choice of theme, I swear! :)

Anyway, here's mine. As you said previously, not in it to win it, just for the exercise. :)

She was laughing, full hearty laughter. The sort of laughter that you hear coming from the mouths of pretty girls in those old movies. Melodious, full of life. She would throw back her head and it would flow sweetly into my ears. I couldn't take my eyes off her, she seemed to sway back and forth in my vision, everything else but her face was slightly blurred and twisted; out of focus. I guess that was the purpose of the glass of absent I held between my index finger and thumb.
    I had met her only a short while ago in some unknown bar in some unknown town. I was drifting, I've always been drifting. As I sat there watching her dance around the small room we had taken for the night, oozing sex, temptation and desire, I found myself itching to get away from her. But it was only a slight buzzing in my head and easy to ignore. I physically shook myself to dispel the idea. Hell, why would I want to get away from... what was her name? I asked her. She looked at me with heavy lidded eyes, piercing through me, clearly upset that I forgot her name but then just burst out laughing and fell onto my lap, spilling some of her drink down my mostly unbuttoned shirt.
    My head was spinning. The drink was strong, I could barely think straight. I heard thunder rolling outside and heavy rain being blown hard against the window. I should close that window, I thought. I made to get up but she was sitting with a leg each side of me pinning me down. I could hear her voice droning in my ear, like she was underwater. "I'm sorry... I wish things could be different." I know I realised, vaguely, on some level, that I had been drugged but I don't think I remember feeling the knife slip inside me. I died an unknown man, in an unknown town, by an unknown girl.

Seems odd writing about the theme of Death in light of the news we got around here yesterday. I wrote this with senseless death in mind...

**** The Council of 13 ****

The Council of 13 assembled as they did every century since man began to remember. 13 dark wooden chairs stood empty around a simple round wooden table. Slowly, at the appointed time, the council members appeared.

It was tradition to introduce themselves. Their ranks changed each meeting, depending on new ideas, new people and dying dreams.

The first to sit was the first to speak.

“I am that which was feared but now sits iconic on man's creations. Only when I collect do they know reality” he sat pale of skin and robed in black, his scythe lay tall against the table and his proud white horse stood behind.

The next was similar to the first, but no flesh covered his body and his robes were torn. “I am that which cursed the middle age of man, when plague gave me my colour and my stock.” his voice was as deep as the first despite his skeletal appearance.

The third was completely different. His beard was long, his voice was filled with wisdom “I am Father Time. Man does not fear me as he did, nor associate me as much with death, but I am eternal.” He wore heavy dark brown robes, once rich but wearing thin and in front of him was an hour glass.

“I am Azrael” said the next, assuming all knew the angel of death, black winged and bearing a blade.

Yama of the East spoke next, “I still ride my black buffalo and lasso my souls, as I have always done.”

An old ugly woman, with a long blue nose spoke next and when she did all could see the poisonous purple tongue in her mouth “I am Giltine of the Balklands. My people have travelled far and I with them.”

A winged man, fair of face, stood and introduced three “I am Thanatos, sworn to Hades. To my left is my sister Keres, violent of nature and finally to my right is Mors, who is but me in a different land.” Mors was in truth like the speaker, though androgynous and Keres was bestial, with talons, fangs and blood soaked robes.

A shadow stayed silent, but they all knew it as the first death, a primordial thing with no name.

The eleventh was biblical, his pale sickly green horse pronounced him as one of the four. “I am he who will come at the end to cleanse the world of life” he said before laying a long sword on the table with a thin dead hand.

Anubis was twelfth. He was one of the few who ruled a land of the dead but still attended the council. He was a king among knights, but he showed due respect. His voice was heard first in an ancient tongue, but then the echoes were of the common tongue. His bare flesh was tanned and healthy, but his head was that of the black jackal.

They looked to the 13th seat where once sat Aukon, the gravekeeper of the Celts. It appeared empty.

The Reaper spoke “we are one short”

The response was a voice tiny and yet everywhere, the voice of nothing and yet billions.
    “I am the host that man now fears the most. I am that which grows infinite. From cancer to AIDS to the simplest germs, I am that which modern man fears. They fear me because I am nothing yet many. I am legion. I have no name or image, yet I am on every man's mind. I take the innocent, the pure, the corrupt and more. I strike without warning and without reason. How can man fight that which he can't see and that which keeps changing. Last century and the next are mine. I am senseless. I AM DEATH.”

And the council commenced.

Fewicur -

I don't mean to be controversial here, but I did not vote for your last story because it felt like Terry Prachett. The idea of playing games with death and trying to cheat death was something that he explores a lot in his novels. The idea of different deaths of Azael etc is also something that he writes a lot about and again at the start of the new story you have posted I kept getting the feeling again...

Maybe you've never heard of him and this is all in my head. And isn't all fiction derivative anyway?

• Advertisement

Memnoch wrote: »
    Fewicur -

I don't mean to be controversial here, but I did not vote for your last story because it felt like Terry Prachett. The idea of playing games with death and trying to cheat death was something that he explores a lot in his novels. The idea of different deaths of Azael etc is also something that he writes a lot about and again at the start of the new story you have posted I kept getting the feeling again...

Maybe you've never heard of him and this is all in my head. And isn't all fiction derivative anyway?

I'm a big Terry Pratchett fan, I've read all of his books, but Terry Pratchett's death is not any death I've written about. If anything the first thing that popped into my head with the first story was "Bill and Teds Bogus Journey" (I think that's the name of the 2nd one?) where they play death in a load of games. But the idea of playing a game of chess is an old one, made iconic in the film The Seventh Seal http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050976/ back in 1957, long before the Discworld took shape.

With the same logic you could say Antilles story reminded you of numerous scenes from The Diary of Ann Frank, The Book Thief or any number of WWII pieces.

As for this story, I moved on from my first, since the theme was Death I stuck with the idea of personification. Then I spent the night reading about the boards member who died of food poisoning and the idea of a death for the modern age came about. I then decided on the council of 13 (unlucky number yada yada) and then I spent a good two hours researching the personification of death in modern cultures. I decided to stay away from Hades and Hel, seeing them more as lords of the underworld (something which makes Anubis' presence special) and focused on different personifications of death, rather than the devil.
    So, don't vote for it if you don't like it, but please don't trivialise it as a Terry Pratchett copy.

Fewcifur, your story is 633 words long. It's supposed to be "around 300"...

I was going to say something about that. :P

I had my story written out and it was about 500+ words, cutting it down made it a bit weak I think. 300 is just too little in my eyes.

Yeah I did notice that, I don't mind if I'm disqualified or something, it's not about the winning, it's about the writing. 13 deaths is hard enough to squeeze into 600, nevermind 300 :p . You should have seen the first draft before I cut out all the details. At one point I was even planning for each death to speak in rhyme, had a The Raven vibe going on but that certainly took up more words.

I was going to say something last time too but didn't want to look like I was trying to do in my opposition, heh. To be honest, I like 300 words. I really had to work hard to get my stories that tight. Ignoring the limit feels like taking the easy way.out and doesn't fit the spirit of the competition.

Pickarooney, what are your thoughts?

Fewcifur wrote: »
    I'm a big Terry Pratchett fan, I've read all of his books, but Terry Pratchett's death is not any death I've written about...
    So, don't vote for it if you don't like it, but please don't trivialise it as a Terry Pratchett copy.

Fair enough.

I was going to say something last time too but didn't want to look like I was trying to do in my opposition, heh. To be honest, I like 300 words. I really had to work hard to get my stories that tight. Ignoring the limit feels like taking the easy way.out and doesn't fit the spirit of the competition.

Pickarooney, what are your thoughts?

Word counts dominate my day job, I guess I just came to the creative writing forum to write for the craic. I've no problem bowing out and letting it revert to Antilles.

But for what it's worth, I think 300 words is too limiting for a short story challenge. There's a difference between a scene and a scene that tells a tale.

I'd say if you think a story is too long then simply don't vote for it. Over double the recommended length is certainly stretching it, IMO. But I preferred Daleno's story in any case so it didn't make a difference to me.
    This is the arena and sand-kicking and gouging has to be expected. The thumbs up are yours to give.

P.S. If someone wants to throw a poem in, go for it, although you can't oblige your opponent to do likewise.

I'd prefer we keep it to a set word limit, though if you want to up that limit that's cool. Or in fact if you want to get rid of the limit entirely, that would also work. I just don't see the point of having a limit if you can double it (sorry Fewcifur!) and the only negative is that people who remember the limit might choose not to vote for you.

For what its worth, I'm not suggesting Fewcifur steps down as champion. I just think it needs to be clarified. Why should somebody work for ages to get a story to a set limit just to have somebody else completely ignore it and win anyway?

• Advertisement

Oh Sir Fudginton, my reply didn't post.

I think it went along the lines of "Long does not equal better". Now for the compulsory "That's what she said" and there we are.

There's a sense to these short stories, all of the entries are a single scene and none would fill an A4 page. As Pickarooney suggested, people won't vote if they think something is too long. I'd certainly punish a piece I found flabby and wandering just as much as a piece that was underdeveloped and pointless due to its brevity.

Advertisement