Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Writing Contest] - THE ARENA

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Fewcifur wrote: »
    I just read back and I can see no such criticism... was it self criticism? I actually thought you were going to get a box-based novel written if you kept up your winning streak :)
    Oh it was from a friend in private! And I was thinking the same about a box based novel :pac:, but I was having trouble writing this morning! If I am lucky enough to win again I would like to go back to it! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

thanks everyone :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Congrats Bluewolf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭lynchy101

Ok I pick the theme stereotypes

• Advertisement

tomorrow at 2215 it is

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

bluewolf wrote: »
    tomorrow at 2215 it is

You're getting very used to this champion lark... I have the fear whenever you make a proclamation :)

You're getting very used to this champion lark... I have the fear whenever you make a proclamation :)

Lol what fear

Lol what fear

Just the general fear of conquest and destruction. I'm waiting for Antilles to try wrestle the crown off ya, so then I can in turn challenge him, and hopefully by then we'll be ready to form a creative writing republic where tyrannical champions are no more and everyone wears flowers in their hair. I have a dream! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

Just the general fear of conquest and destruction. I'm waiting for Antilles to try wrestle the crown off ya, so then I can in turn challenge him, and hopefully by then we'll be ready to form a creative writing republic where tyrannical champions are no more and everyone wears flowers in their hair. I have a dream! :)

LOL I was considering challenging, but I'm busy working on something else for the next few days :(

• Advertisement

Antilles wrote: »
    LOL I was considering challenging, but I'm busy working on something else for the next few days :(

yeah im gonna have absolutely no free time after this week for eh, the summer, pretty much
    lol

"stereotypes"

Ella hated passing the temple each morning. Everyone knew the priests were monsters. They could see in the dark and strike you down with lightning. They were known to be cruel and merciless and some of them even had completely black eyes.
    With all this in mind, Ella being sent to their temple at dusk to return this box she’d found was more scary than anything else in her young years.
    The doors were large but plain. She stepped through and was at once in near-darkness, unable to see anything but hazy flickering shadows in the vast hall. She stood trembling, unsure where to go. Almost at once, one of the bald priests in his black robes was standing at her side. “Greetings of Night to you, child.”
    Ella bowed nervously at being so close to one of these priests, and held the box before her. “Mother said this was yours and I had to bring it to you.” Her voice shook. She hoped he would take it and let her go quickly. What if she did something wrong?
    He took the box. “Thank you for returning this. We are most appreciative. It had been stolen from us some time ago and we were keen to get it back.”
    Suddenly feeling brave, she asked: “What is it?”
    He had an indulgent smile now. “It contains a sacred relic of our goddess. You see here, her crescent is on the lid. Some people say if you know how to use it correctly, it would bring night on the world forever. Chaos.” Ella blanched. He winked at her. “It is just a story, child. There are other stories about what it might do. But it is still very important to us, even if it does nothing. The goddess held it herself when she walked among us, so long ago.”
    Ella blinked at his friendliness. This was no monster, he was too nice. He could be her uncle. Maybe everything she’d heard about them was wrong. His eyes weren’t even black, so far as she could tell in the dim light. He did not look like he would ever cast lightning on anyone either.
    He held a coin out to her and she took it, gaping at its value. “Thank you again, child.”
    Remembering herself, she bowed again and thanked him, and left.
    She stepped outside the temple, her fears nearly gone. She was amazed after all she had heard of their reputation. She ran home, her head full of what she might buy and the stories she could tell her friends. She had spoken to one of the night priests!
    She did not see the shadow passing over the priest’s face and his eyes pooling into an inky black; nor did she hear his quick footsteps headed urgently toward some inner part of the temple.

Um, walkover? Lyncheeeeeee, where's your storeeeeeeeee? :p

he's been off trolling and getting banned. either a windup or a forfeit i suppose.

:(

I thought it was a bit suspect using his first post to challenge here.

Should we have a minimum post limit before people are allowed challenge in the Arena? It might help deter fly-by-nighters.

I figured it might be someone who was a long time reader and not a poster, and I didn't want to discourage anyone
    but since this happened, maybe we should :(

How does 579 sound?

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭angelll

Hmmm,maybe a bit high,how about 200+ :D

Btw bluewolf i loved your story,went to click on the thanks when i read it but decided to wait to read the other story, just to be polite,lol.

Does this mean we are going to keep the "stereotypes" theme for whoever challenges?

i suppose if we are all being fair about it nobody is going to have thought about their own stereotypes theme story yet have they? or we can start afresh, i dont mind

thanks angel :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

I'll throw my hat into this ring. Are we going to go with the same theme?

I'll throw my hat into this ring. Are we going to go with the same theme?

Do you want to just post up your story within 24 hours and I'll leave mine as my entry for this round?
    I am not sure how we should do this :)

Tell you what, I'll let you decide. If you'd like to go with a new theme, I'll pick one; if not, I'll do stereotypes:)

In the interests of laziness and having a break, you can submit on stereotypes. 10am tomorrow! :)

In the interests of laziness and having a break, you can submit on stereotypes. 10am tomorrow! :)

...an iron fist...

:D

-He'd been in theatre, you know. Before it all fell apart he was good at everything. He could dance, he could sing, and he could act, too, better than most in that world. He'd grown up in Wilde, you see. His mother used to read him the plays. I heard she used to act as well, but she stopped when her husband died. They used to think, back in those days, that that's what caused it, you know. No paternal influence. No man in the house.
    -Bollocks.
    -I know, and it's horrible, isn't it? The way he died.
    -He wasn't even, though, was he? I mean, I heard he was married.
    -He was. It ended badly, though. All the usual, you know. “He could never keep it up,” “Useless ******,” all that. I was there. God help me, I was there when he died, and I didn't dare try to stop them.
    -Still, though, things are better now.
    -A little bit, I suppose. Yes, I suppose they are.
    -And he's got a scholar. How many musical actors do you think have major theses written defending their work?
    -Oh, but you've read it – you know how much more he was than that. It was his poetry. It was sublime. So unusual, so crystalline, so forward-thinking. He could never sell it, but he read some to me in his apartment once, not long before he died.
    -You knew him?
    -Yes, I did, a little.
    -Wait, you don't mean – You didn't--
    -No, I didn't. I loved him, but he loved his wife, Heaven knows why.
    -You--?
    -I did. I knew him, and yes, I loved him, but times were different. The world has changed, and as deep as my feelings were for him, I love you more.

I still have 4 minutes

Mr. Horsefly was the new head of the prairie post office. He had put a lot of time and effort into getting this highly respected position; he had even moved fields. If you asked Mr. Horsefly, he would tell you that he got the job thanks to his great deductive gifts.
    On his first day at work, he opened up shop, and into the post office came Mr. Beetle, Mrs Spider, Miss Mantis, and Mr. Grasshopper.
    Mr. Horsefly wouldn't let them so much as open their mouths.
    "Don't tell me, don't tell me. I bet I can work out what each of you came for," he said, putting a book, a plastic mat, a nail file, and some protective goggles on the counter.
    "The nail file will be for Mrs. Spider, without a doubt. With all the scratching she does, she'll need to put her nails right. “The mat”, he went on, without giving anyone time to react, "without even having to think about it, I give it to Mr. Grasshopper, since he must have to train pretty hard to keep all his hopping about up to a decent standard. The safety goggles have to be for Mr. Beetle, because having to spend all day with his face so close to the ground, he'll be needing something to protect his eyes. And finally, this big book here, has to be a Bible. I'll have to give that to Miss Praying Mantis, whom I would like to ask to include me in her supplications to The Almighty. As you will see..."
    They didn't let him finish. The comment about the mantis - well known on the prairie for having changed her name from Miss Praying Mantis to simply Miss Mantis - was just too much for everyone, and they burst out laughing...
    "Not much of a detective, are you!" said Mr. Grasshopper, between chuckles. "For a start, Mrs. Spider came for the book. She's very quiet, and doesn't scratch a soul. The mat is for Mr. Beetle, who likes to sunbathe in his swimming pool, and do it lying on his back. Miss Mantis will, of course, want the nail file. She's a bit of a flirt, you know. And the protective goggles are for me. I'm not as young as I was, and don't see to well. These days when I'm hopping on the grass I get the odd black eye..."
    “Uhu”, Mr. Horsefly interrupted, recovering a little from his embarrassment, "then you do, in fact, hop on grass!"
    "Yes, I do," answered the grasshopper, "but as you'll see, making your deductions based simply on prejudice, leads to more misses than hits..."
    How right he was! Just a few days later, after having met all the insects in person, Mr. Horsefly had a good laugh while telling this story about his deductions made from prejudice without yet having met a soul. And he understood that judging without knowing is a practice for fools.

Mod note: lynchy101 permabanned for plagiarism

Wait, what? This is most irregular. *blows moustache*

You're two days late, Lynchy...

• Advertisement

Sorry Lynchy. You didn't show up so you lost.

Advertisement