Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now this is what i call looking for a job!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I dont agree in the slightest, this guy wants to get into marketing so has marketed himself to get him noticed. Its as simple as that. He will get exposure to all agencies and marketing companies in Ireland and will be starting a process of interviews this week.

I am sure in your business venture you have marketed yourself and your business in some form that relates to your area expertise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jet Black

It says in the article he has experience in sales and marketing. All hes done is advertise himself. Hes got a lot of attention which is what marketing is all about.
    It hasn't been done in Ireland before so far play for being innovtive. Anyone can throw their CV in for a job. Hes gone the extra mile in trying to prove himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,638 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Beau wrote: »
    Best of luck but I think 2k was a massive waste of money on this.

Nice to see begrudgery is alive and well. :rolleyes:

Fair play to him. At least he's using his talents in marketing to put himself out there, rather than sitting at home on his h0le feeling sorry for himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

sombaht wrote: »
    Why not? Would it be so detrimental to the country as a whole if that were to happen?

Right, let's run with this for a minute so... So tomorrow we have 500,000 billboards with 500,000 faces up on them looking for job opportunities... How do we then distinguish anyone of merit from the 500,000 unemployed people up on billboards???

I genuinely think what he did was ridiculous. However if it gets him a job, he may well be proven to have been right in what he did. I think it's a very sad place we have come to however when you are a holder of a university degree and this is what you feel you have to do to get a fair crack at a job opportunity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Very good Karl. SO we should all go out and put ourselves up on a Bill Board now to have any hope of getting a job, is that what you are saying???

No, because the idea has now been used. If he gets a good job out of it, will you still be annoyed?

Shocking posts to be honest, a fella thinks of a different idea, and it may work, and you seem awful annoyed by it. Very very narrow closed of view of it.

You state no one is entitled to be just handed a job, but you obviously are of the view that no one is entitled to go about getting a job unless it stays within the boundaries of what you deem acceptable as well?

• Advertisement

Right, let's run with this for a minute so... So tomorrow we have 500,000 billboards with 500,000 faces up on them looking for job opportunities... How do we then distinguish anyone of merit from the 500,000 unemployed people up on billboards???

I genuinely think what he did was ridiculous. However if it gets him a job, he may well be proven to have been right in what he did. I think it's a very sad place we have come to however when you are a holder of a university degree and this is what you feel you have to do to get a fair crack at a job opportunity.

People are noticing him, though, aren't they?? Which was the whole point of the exercise.

krissovo wrote: »
    I dont agree in the slightest, this guy wants to get into marketing so has marketed himself to get him noticed. Its as simple as that. He will get exposure to all agencies and marketing companies in Ireland and will be starting a process of interviews this week.

I am sure in your business venture you have marketed yourself and your business in some form that relates to your area expertise.

I market my business, I don't market me. The business is a brand, I'm not. It seems to me that the only way you can get anything done these days in this country is to put yourself on RTE1. I tried to get start up funding for my business, tried banks, state agencies, absolutely everything... All I got told was that they hadn't a cent to lend to any small business start up...

Then one day I turned on this show on RTE1 a few weeks ago and there is George Lee on some enterprise show with the same entities and agencies, basically shamed into supporting new business promotors because all of a sudden the national media was on top of them!

But this guy is marketing himself and his talents, because he doesn't have a business to be marketing.

Can you not see the problem with that? The fella this is about has got there first, it wont work for anyone else now. Thats the whole idea of using unique ideas, inventions etc, you have to do it before anyone else. Seems simple enough to grasp that.

Plenty of people with university degrees are doing little or nothing, and this is what we have come to, and we have not come to this through people using unique advertising methods.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

robbie7730 wrote: »
    No, because the idea has now been used. If he gets a good job out of it, will you still be annoyed?

Shocking posts to be honest, a fella thinks of a different idea, and it may work, and you seem awful annoyed by it.

Interesting point raised here that this lad suddenly made himself employable by having the never-before-thought-of idea of putting up some advertising about himself to get work.

Of course, as a marketing idea, it's as old as the hills, and is a mainstay of newspapers during recessions to cover such heartwarming human interest yarns, since they pander to the idea that with a little get up and go, anyone can get a job even in a 24% unemployment rate recession.

This idea has not been used, and will never be used. It will come around and around again, everytime someone is so desperate for work they are prepared to pimp their lives on the news to get a job.

Was this lad innovative or imaginative? Of course not. Does he deserve a job? For sure. Just like the other half a million people. I wish him and all of them the best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sombaht

Its funny but the more you comment on the the whole "billboard issue" I cant help but think to myself that you're secretly kicking yourself for not coming up with that idea first. :) It just smacks ever so slightly of sour grapes.

Cheers,
    sombaht

sombaht wrote: »
    Its funny but the more you comment on the the whole "billboard issue" I cant help but think to myself that you're secretly kicking yourself for not coming up with that idea first. :) It just smacks ever so slightly of sour grapes.

Cheers,
    sombaht

Must be even more annoying to see the lotto winners in the news etc, all that money for doing no work at all, its completely wrong:D

Must be even more annoying to see the lotto winners in the news etc, all that money for doing no work at all, its completely wrong:D

PMSL

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

As he's looking for a job in marketing, creating a lot of media interest is a good way to go about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,239 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

the_syco wrote: »
    As he's looking for a job in marketing, creating a lot of media interest is a good way to go about this.

It's really that simple. I just can't understand the anger.

Eoin wrote: »
    It's really that simple. I just can't understand the anger.

I think it's really the "me fein" attitude of some people that is more annoying!?

He has/had the talent to think of something a little different to put him ahead of the pack to try to get himself back in the workforce. Can some people not congratulate him for it, rather than begrudging him?

Is that too hard a concept for some people to comprehend?:confused:

Plenty of people with university degrees are doing little or nothing, and this is what we have come to, and we have not come to this through people using unique advertising methods.

My point exactly! This guy is bringing the very serious issue of unemployment and job opportunity, down to the level of the Big Brother contest I think. As to the poster who reckons I'm jealous because I didn't come up with this idea, you are missing my point, which is that we should not have to publicly prostitute ourselves in order to have a fair crack at a job opportunity. This smacks of style to the complete displacement of all substance in relation to getting the right person for the job. It's the Big Brother solution to unemployment, many people are hugely embarrassed by their unemployment status, and would not be prepared to put themselves and their status out there in this manner, nor should they be expected to.

It's funny how everyone on here posting criticisms of me seems to be in stable employment. I wonder how you might feel about it if had ever experienced medium term unemployed...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

Cant believe people are giving out about this and saying he is attention seeking. Of course he is, he is trying to get himself a job. Is buying a nice suit to go for an interview attention seeking?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,239 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

This smacks of style to the complete displacement of all substance in relation to getting the right person for the job. It's the Big Brother solution to unemployment, many people are hugely embarrassed by their unemployment status, and would not be prepared to put themselves and their status out there in this manner, nor should they be expected to.

But this type of stunt could be directly tied into the work he wants to do! It's actually a showcase of his marketing ability. He wants to do marketing and he has created something that shows he can do that. He's not working in an area where the billboard is irrelevant.

All he has done is created a bloody good cover letter to get in the door for an interview. He'll have to be able to back himself up at that stage, and maybe he will be found out then - but maybe he won't.
    It's funny how everyone on here posting criticisms of me seems to be in stable employment. I wonder how you might feel about it if had ever experienced medium term unemployed...

I'd probably do everything I could to get a job.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

m.j.w wrote: »
    Cant believe people are giving out about this and saying he is attention seeking.

In fairness I think it's only one person that's really getting annoyed about it and blowing it out of proportion.

• Advertisement

Cant believe people are giving out about this and saying he is attention seeking. Of course he is, he is trying to get himself a job. Is buying a nice suit to go for an interview attention seeking?

My point is that when you are unemployed, and I'm speaking from experience here, most people are hugely embarrassed at their status and there are all the inherent confidence issues that come with the rank of unemployment.

All I'm asking is, how come this guy is suddenly deemed to be employable after he lands a slot on the 9 O' Clock news??? Is there anything we can look at here, maybe with a view to asking ourselves is it at all possible that there is a major problem in this country with the way UNEMPLOYED people are being connected with JOB OPPORTUNITIES, when a person cannot get any access to a job opportunity, yet within hours of putting himself on the 9 O' Clock News, twitter comes alive with job opportunities and companies wishing to speak to him about giving him work???

He can't be anymore qualified or experienced 2 hours after the news than he was at quarter to nine that same evening???

I genuinely believe that this is hugely indicative of huge problems that are out there that keep people unemployed.

I know we can't all be employers but we can't all be employee's either and I can't see how he took 2K of his money and put it into a bill board advertisement. My impression of him being interviewed was that he was a publicity seeker.

No it's not, because the expectation is there for an interview that you make an effort and wear a suit for formalwear of some sort as opposed to a Nike tracksuit.

It just seems to me these days that in order to get anywhere with your career or job creation or where you are having a crisis in your life with some issue, that you have to be prepared to come onto RTE1 and discuss it nationally, I think that's completely wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

As far as I can see he's just doing exactly what everyone who has a profile on LinkedIn/Monster etc is doing.

He's been away and come back again. The guy has actually tried. Fair play to him - though I wonder where he got the money...but feck it, it's a mrketing job he's looking for and he's just proved that he's got smarts and the b*&ls to be quite good at it. The fact that RTE have picked up on it is RTE's problem and just an added bonus for him.

I don't understand the "just because you have a degree you shouldn't think you're "entitled" to a job" thing. Why not? If you've worked your arse off for 4 years to get a qualification that allows you to at least be a contender for higher paying jobs, then yeah, you're entitled to be a bit p*&sed off that you can't find anything at all, let alone exactly what you want.
    You spend your school years being told college is the way to go, to better yourself, improve your chances, give you a shot at a decent standard of living and you come out the other end to the dole?? All manners of wrong. I'd question those who feel that they are entitled to come out of college to a job that pays 50k a year straight off, alright. But you should at least come out of college being able to get something. And that's not possible any more.

Normally I'd agree with you HellFire, but the thing is that not everybody has either the capital or the ability to set up businesses.We're not all entrepreneurs. I don't buy into this thing that entrepreneurship is something that can be taught - you either have it or you don't. To put a different slant on your argument - so if we all can't find a job, do we all just get up in the morning and start setting up businesses of our own to create a job for ourselves? Who would work for us if we are all trying to be entrepreneurs? Not everybody can own a company. Same way as not everybody can go into teaching or IT.

As methods to say "PICK ME" out of 450,000 and given the job he's looking for, I'd have to give him a slap on the back for his idea. Added to the fact that he actually is saying he'll emigrate (and therefore, not just sitting around waiting indefinitely), good luck to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭KarlDrake

My point exactly! This guy is bringing the very serious issue of unemployment and job opportunity, down to the level of the Big Brother contest I think. As to the poster who reckons I'm jealous because I didn't come up with this idea, you are missing my point, which is that we should not have to publicly prostitute ourselves in order to have a fair crack at a job opportunity. This smacks of style to the complete displacement of all substance in relation to getting the right person for the job. It's the Big Brother solution to unemployment, many people are hugely embarrassed by their unemployment status, and would not be prepared to put themselves and their status out there in this manner, nor should they be expected to.

I started my own business when out of a job. I understand what it's like to work for someone else and to work for myself. I also understand that some people aren't cut out to work for themselves and vice versa and I am very familiar with short, medium and long term unemployment issues.

Bottom line is: bloke looking for a job uses attention grabbing method to gain employment.
    I think it's a great idea and fair play to him.

Some people think that it's a searing indictment on our society that this has garnered attention. Fair enough too. But what this attitude is is narrowminded, bitter begrudgery focusing on the negative. He's looking for a job in marketing and markets himself onto the front pages and all news channels, creates a social media storm and is all over LinkedIn etc.

As I'm sick of saying he has demonstrated his ability to market himself for a marketing role.

One guy doing this and being successful won't be a game changer, but it's worked for him and may help other people think laterally.
    E.g. a SEO graduate wanted to work for one particular company, so created a website with his CV on it that was optimised to bits for the CEO of that company's name.
    The CEO googled himself and sure enough found this guy's site as the number one hit. Hired.

This is a similar deal. It irritates me slightly that no matter how innovative and intelligent some people are that there will always be some people saying boo hiss etc. Of course the country's banjaxed but that not this guy's fault, he's just playing the game in front of him.
    And winning.

KarlDrake wrote: »
    I started my own business when out of a job. I understand what it's like to work for someone else and to work for myself. I also understand that some people aren't cut out to work for themselves and vice versa and I am very familiar with short, medium and long term unemployment issues.

Bottom line is: bloke looking for a job uses attention grabbing method to gain employment.
    I think it's a great idea and fair play to him.

Some people think that it's a searing indictment on our society that this has garnered attention. Fair enough too. But what this attitude is is narrowminded, bitter begrudgery focusing on the negative. He's looking for a job in marketing and markets himself onto the front pages and all news channels, creates a social media storm and is all over LinkedIn etc.

As I'm sick of saying he has demonstrated his ability to market himself for a marketing role.

One guy doing this and being successful won't be a game changer, but it's worked for him and may help other people think laterally.
    E.g. a SEO graduate wanted to work for one particular company, so created a website with his CV on it that was optimised to bits for the CEO of that company's name.
    The CEO googled himself and sure enough found this guy's site as the number one hit. Hired.

This is a similar deal. It irritates me slightly that no matter how innovative and intelligent some people are that there will always be some people saying boo hiss etc. Of course the country's banjaxed but that not this guy's fault, he's just playing the game in front of him.
    And winning.

And I disagree and think he is an attention seeker.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Hellfire - I understand the frustrations of being unemployed but I certainly don't hold the same views that you do regarding this guys position.

It seems to upset you to a great degree that he spent €2K of his own cash on marketing himself, that you didn't have that €2k on setting up your business and your opinion is that he wasted his money.

Some people just aren't cut out to be their own boss, most of your posts allude to you starting your own business and that's great, but it's not for everybody, most people aren't cut out to manage themselves and live by the 9-5 routine and do what the boss says, entreprenuerial skills don't come easy to everybody and it's the wiser person that realises they're not cut out for it.

This guy has done the right thing if his field is sales and marketing, he has become the brand and has it in everybodys face. He's given his CV a face and a headstart that will put him at the top of the pile.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

And I disagree and think he is an attention seeker.

Isn't that the point of a CV? To bring attention to yourself?;)

I don't get the sour grapes. I have seen your previous posts on unemployment and starting your own business and I get your frustration at the red tape and lack of funding, but why are you so bitter towards a guy who has an innovative idea that's tied into the field he's trying to get into?

My point exactly! This guy is bringing the very serious issue of unemployment and job opportunity, down to the level of the Big Brother contest I think. As to the poster who reckons I'm jealous because I didn't come up with this idea, you are missing my point, which is that we should not have to publicly prostitute ourselves in order to have a fair crack at a job opportunity.

But you are attacking this fellas idea, an idea to get around the whole unemployment and other economic problems the country has, and confusing it with being annoyed at the state of the country, and the steps you have had to take to get around the same problems. If no one ever came up with new ideas, or new ways of using existing ideas, where would the world be?
    This smacks of style to the complete displacement of all substance in relation to getting the right person for the job.

How does it, he is making the job effort, not a company randomly picking someone off the street. A company would now take him on for their own gains, not for his. And a company may just see his idea as a suggestion he has good marketing ideas.

So his idea may well have put him ahead of the rest with the publicity a company may gain. Its up to the company to sort out who the best candidates are for their needs, while the candidates try to demonstrate that they are the most suitable.
    It's the Big Brother solution to unemployment, many people are hugely embarrassed by their unemployment status, and would not be prepared to put themselves and their status out there in this manner, nor should they be expected to.

Well just becuse some unemployed are or might be too embarassed to let people know about it, does this mean everyone has to be?

I have spent many times unemployed, and work is very scarce in my field. Judging by your post here, maybe the embarassment should make me hide in a field.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sombaht

As to the poster who reckons I'm jealous because I didn't come up with this idea, you are missing my point, which is that we should not have to publicly prostitute ourselves in order to have a fair crack at a job opportunity.
    Of course it would be great if we didn't have to "publicly prostitute" ourselves but we are in a very very new unemployment market right now, and may very well be likely to be here for some time. You need to stand out from the crowd, and this guy has (that cannot be denied).Whether or not his methods seem crass to you is irrelevant (and tbh he probably couldn't care less) he is getting noticed (first step to getting to at least the interview stage).
    Been there done that thank you very much. Only recently back in employment after being unemployed since Dec 2009. And for what its worth my post would be exactly the same were I still unemployed or not.

Cheers,
    sombaht

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

So it seems the owner of the billboard now has 2 dream job offers!

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/feilims-billboard-plea-lands-two-dream-job-offers-2673658.html
    AN unemployed marketing graduate who scraped together €2,000 for a massive billboard to find work has been offered two "dream jobs".
    Skint Feilim Mac An Iomaire parted with the last of his life savings to erect a novel hoarding on Dublin's busy Merrion Road, asking employers not force him to leave Ireland.
    But yesterday the 26-year-old, who came up with the idea after being jobless for eight months following his return from a year in Australia, described it as the best investment he had ever made. He landed 20 interviews and was offered top marketing roles with two companies.
    Mr Mac An Iomaire, whose eyecatching 'Jobless Paddy' billboard was taken down on Sunday, said he would decide by the end of the week which of the two Dublin-based jobs to take.
    "I can't quite believe how my life has turned around. Since I put the billboard up, my phone literally hasn't stopped ringing and I've been to about 20 interviews. But the best news for me is that I've received two job offers in the past couple of days and they are both marketing roles and exactly the types of jobs I wanted.
    "I expect to have something sorted by the end of the week and I can now say for certain that I'll be back working by the end of this month.''
    He added: "It's certainly the best €2,000 I've ever spent in my life, because had I not done that I doubt I would have even have had an interview at this stage, never mind a couple of job offers."
    The NUI Galway graduate, who has been living on Jobseeker's Allowance and was forced to move back in with his parents, said he now felt certain for the first time in months that he would not be forced to emigrate like so many of his peers.
    When he returned from Sydney last August, he landed only two inconclusive job interviews, despite sending out more than 100 job applications.
    But his belief that his billboard advert -- in which he faces a number of famous landmarks in Sydney, London and New York with the desperate message 'Save Me From Emigration' -- would turn his life around, has proved correct.
    "I've been very frustrated at being unemployed and being stuck on the sidelines for so long. And as I've said before, I want to stay in this country and be part of its solution, not its problem,'' said Mr Mac An Iomaire.
    "Finally, I now know that I'm going to be working again very soon and I couldn't be happier. I love this country and if I had to leave it again, it would be with a heavy heart. Thankfully, it looks like I'm here to stay."

Advertisement