Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now this is what i call looking for a job!

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Delighted for him well deserved :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Im off up to the hell fire club to put up my own billboard now.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 TinyT

caseyann wrote: »
    Delighted for him well deserved :)
    That was my reaction too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Right, let's run with this for a minute so... So tomorrow we have 500,000 billboards with 500,000 faces up on them looking for job opportunities... How do we then distinguish anyone of merit from the 500,000 unemployed people up on billboards???

I genuinely think what he did was ridiculous. However if it gets him a job, he may well be proven to have been right in what he did. I think it's a very sad place we have come to however when you are a holder of a university degree and this is what you feel you have to do to get a fair crack at a job opportunity.

If 500,000 people started their own companies tomorrow they would all fail (or as close to all as makes no difference)

Horses for courses

I see he has some offers ,delighted for him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Well he marketed himself in a unique way, which is the whole point of his field.

Fair play to him - makes a change to hear a good story.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

dan_d wrote: »
    Well he marketed himself in a unique way, which is the whole point of his field.

Fair play to him - makes a change to hear a good story.

Absolutely. And then next person to pull a stunt like this will have to go beyond billboarding in their efforts. Viral tricks only get widespread media coverage on the first outing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

RATM wrote: »
    Absolutely. And then next person to pull a stunt like this will have to go beyond billboarding in their efforts. Viral tricks only get widespread media coverage on the first outing.

Bus billboards on your car bonnet and boot?:D

Fair play to him, he thought outside the box. #winning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

Delighted for him. Why didn't I think of that? although I couldn't afford 2k. It isn't much to start up your own business with. Will 2k even pay for all the red tape they put on people trying to start their own business?

Unfortunately regulations in this country are set up in such a way to protect the incumbent and discourage newcomers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

His attitude to me, is indicitative of all that is wrong with this country. He is demonstrating a mindset that is everywhere in this country, which is that people have misplaced notions of entitlement in their heads in relation to all sorts of things, in this case a misplaced notion of entitlement to a job.

If he cannot find employment, then he should take ownership of the problem and create one for himself or else look abroad for a job. This stupid grinning down a TV camera claiming to be some sort of innovative revolutionary with a finger on the national pulse, it's Brendan Kilkenny style publicity.

Anyone can go out there and generate publicity for themselves, what matters when you are looking for a job are core competiencies, job availability in relation to your core competiencies and other considerations such as your willingness to be flexible, etc. Putting up a billboard of yourself looking pathethic, basically threatening to emigrate unless someone will give you a job is pathethic in my eyes and is an insult to others who actually do have to emmigrate to get on with their lives...

The most ubiquitous cliche that I only hear from pissed off Irish people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Trust Paddy Power to see an angle for free publicity :rolleyes:

Delancey wrote: »
    If they are employing the guy and paying him a salary then it's hardly free publicity, it's paid publicity.

caseyann wrote: »
    Bus billboards on your car bonnet and boot?:D

:D Actually I thought of a unique trick last night for the next Jobless Paddy and I'm willing to give it away to anyone who wants to try it. I reckon its even more genius that Jobless Paddy because it won't cost you €2,000 and is virtually free- the very essence of guerilla marketing. So here goes-

1.Set up a free website with your up to date CV on it and blurb about the type of marketing role you're after
    2. Go to http://qrcode.kaywa.com/ and generate a QR barcode.
    3. Print out tons of copies of the code and below it write 'Scan Me'. The barcode will link to your online CV
    4. Now hand them out a 8.55am on a Monday morning directly outside companies where you want to work- you'll create a buzz in that company by 9.15am and sooner or later your CV will be seen by the marketing manager.
    5. Proifit :D

Of course you could just send in your CV to the company but by using QR codes you'll be showing your potential boss that you're on the cutting edge of new trends in marketing. They'll be picking up the phone for sure after that stunt ;)

Delancey wrote: »

There's rumours going around that the whole thing, from start to finish, was a Paddy Power orchestrated publicity stunt. It makes Paddy Power come across like an employer of choice when faced with a ton of interview offers so I can see their angle. And the TV / Radio footage to boot....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Bluetonic wrote: »
    If they are employing the guy and paying him a salary then it's hardly free publicity, it's paid publicity.

Apparently he only has a 6 month contract so I don't imagine that it's costing PP a whole lot, certainly it's cheaper publicity than the average billboard campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

"Skint Feilim Mac An Iomaire parted with the last of his life savings"

I thought you had to declare any savings to the SW when applying for the dole, and if you have any you are not entitled to the dole until they have run out? It's one of the questions on the form :P

I dont think this guy should be credited for doing this. He was just lucky he could afford a billboard, I dont know how he got the dole and had that kind of money knocking around or even how he could save it up. The dole is only designed to pay basic living costs, not to be able to afford to save 2k up :P. If everyone on the dole could afford to get 2k together I would say a fair % would be off the dole or at least working partime as they could use that to set up something up.

In saying that his idea seemed to work for him, but that would be my main worry... that it did work for him... If I was an employer I would be thinking "he didnt get a job after 100 applications, he surely isnt the best person available for the positions he was looking for, according to 100 other companies, why should I hire him". Also what positions was he applying for? Maybe he was looking for positions that were above what he is capable/qualified for.

Its a free country though so all the best to him, but he is nothing special, im sure there are a lot of people out there on the dole that are more skilled and have better ideas than him, he just had the capital to back it up :)

gline wrote: »
    I thought you had to declare any savings to the SW when applying for the dole, and if you have any you are not entitled to the dole until they have run out? It's one of the questions on the form :P
    No, you're totally and utterly incorrect.

"Skint Feilim Mac An Iomaire parted with the last of his life savings"

I dont think this guy should be credited for doing this. He was just lucky he could afford a billboard, I dont know how he got the dole and had that kind of money knocking around or even how he could save it up. The dole is only designed to pay basic living costs, not to be able to afford to save 2k up :P. If everyone on the dole could afford to get 2k together I would say a fair % would be off the dole or at least working partime as they could use that to set up something up.

Because that amount would not have any bearing on the dole entitlement. And not everyone on the dole actually has any living costs. The vast majority do, but im sure there are some that have little or no living costs. And others may have had jobs before being unemployed in which they saved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

I notice that the user "HellFireClub" is very quiet now. He was calling the guy ridiculous and his campaign a waste of time and money.

Where are you now HFC?????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Because that amount would not have any bearing on the dole entitlement. And not everyone on the dole actually has any living costs. The vast majority do, but im sure there are some that have little or no living costs. And others may have had jobs before being unemployed in which they saved.

What is the cut-off point for savings I wonder, where you wouldnt be entitled to the dole?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I notice that the user "HellFireClub" is very quiet now. He was calling the guy ridiculous and his campaign a waste of time and money.

Where are you now HFC?????

Let's not get too personal thanks, he doesn't have to post here if he doesn't want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Fair play to to the guy but i still cant help felling some begrudgary - I still think it was a lazy attempt at a job hunt - I know a lot of grads struggling away doing internships or unskilled work while this guy just sends away a hundred CVs and sticks up a bilboard -

All in all, the guy showed some balls and it appears to have paid off so well done Usinn or what ever the guys name is!

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I still think it was a lazy attempt at a job hunt - I know a lot of grads struggling away doing internships or unskilled work while this guy just sends away a hundred CVs and sticks up a bilboard -

The easier the job finding process is, the better. Just because others struggle does not mean someone that comes up with a way of making it easier should not use it.

The €2000 euro used, if he did save it would take a fair bit of work to save it up also.

What is the cut-off point for savings I wonder, where you wouldnt be entitled to the dole?

A couple of years ago anyway it was this, it was disregarded for the first €20k, €1 lost for eack 1k up to €30k, then €2 lost for each €1k over €30k, and €4 lost for each €1k over €40k

Are you that lazy you can't search for yourself?

I suppose it's easier to post untruths.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

As somebody who has paid tax on their earnings before putting them in to savings. I think its crazy to restrict someone from getting the dole no matter what their net worth is. Esp because they were probably prudent in the good times unlike many others.

As somebody who has paid tax on their earnings before putting them in to savings. I think its crazy to restrict someone from getting the dole no matter what their net worth is. Esp because they were probably prudent in the good times unlike many others.

I`d have to say i think your right there. One person saves 40k over years, savings they have payed taxes on, and another just spends without thinking, and the saver is penalised.

Once they can show they saved it and were not handed the money, it should not count against the saver.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Cilldara11

Nothing nuts about my position at all. We all would like a job, how come this guy suddenly has offers abound now coming out of the word work when he pimps himself in the media, do you not stop to wonder what is wrong when all of a sudden after turning himself into a little mini celebrity on the news last night, all of a sudden now he is employable when he wasn't previously??? What is nuts about seeing a wrong in that, that we need to address in this country if we want to sort out our massive unemployment problem here??? I was in the same situation until very recently, why should I have to put myself on the 9 O' Clock news in order for someone to take me seriously??? It's ridiculous...

Obviously in Ireland your core competencies are secondary to whatever optics you can bring to a job, that's the way it looks to me...

This guy has demonstrated himself to be:

Pro-active, innovative, confident and in possession of a strong knowledge of the media/advertising industry. Those qualities are some of the core competencies required in the area of work he wishes to work in.

Shelve some of the negativity and anger, you'll live longer.

• Advertisement

, all of a sudden now he is employable when he wasn't previously???

Well there are many employable in the country that cant get a job. It does not mean a person is unemployable just because they are unemployed. They have to do what they can to get ahead of others, sometimes its by luck, other times its not.

This fella was obviously employable, but like many, was finding getting a job difficult, now he has put himself ahead of everyone else, it does not matter now if he turns out to be useless or not, the fact is he found a way to get ahead of others in the job searching methods.

It seems extraordinarily simple, but confuses you still.
    I was in the same situation until very recently, why should I have to put myself on the 9 O' Clock news in order for someone to take me seriously??? It's ridiculous...

Again, confusion taking over. Where has anyone in the country or here in this thread said you must do the same as this fella did?

Were you unemployable until recently so?

Not surprising on boards to see yet another strange set of ideals based on one persons idea of what others should or should not do, simply becuse they would not or have not done it.

Advertisement