Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M20 - Cork to Limerick [preferred route chosen; in design - phase 3]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

No disrespect meant to those killed on the road, but that's 2 people dead now since the decision to shelve the motorway was made.

I understand it wouldn't have been built in the meantime, and so those lives couldn't have been saved. But at some point in time, when the proposed completion date for that project has passed, then each person, be they old, young, single or a family member that dies on that road as a result of it's poor condition will have died unnecessarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

I was just wondering this question the Other day when i was driving to Cork WHy was there no motorway form limerick to cork & there was one from nenagh to cork. it would be good cause some of the streches of road are crap.(if ur stuck behind a slow moving vehicle tractor...u cant pass him out road is barely big enough in places)

Sorry I meant Cashel NOt Nenagh i mixed it up

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭runway16

I'd imagine it has something to do with Cashel being on the way from Cork to Dublin??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Sorry I meant Cashel NOt Nenagh i mixed it up

ah yes, you should have been shaken not stirred....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

They should actually have built a motorway from Limerick to Waterford, via Michelstown, so that Limerick - Cork can travel that route. It would also provide a Cork - Waterford motorway.

By tweaking the alignments additional distances in miles between these points would have been quite small and one or two less motorways would have been needed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

no no ...we want a Motorway of our own here ion North Cork...everyone else has one....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

They should actually have built a motorway from Limerick to Waterford, via Michelstown, so that Limerick - Cork can travel that route. It would also provide a Cork - Waterford motorway.
    This idea's already been explored (and ruled out) many times before. It would be far longer than the existing N20 and would result in all traffic entering and leaving Cork via the Dunkettle interchange. Building an M20 and an M8 distributes the traffic better around Cork city, reducing congestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭nordydan

runway16 wrote: »
    I'd imagine it has something to do with Cashel being on the way from Cork to Dublin??

Not at all, its where the Cashel-Dublin motorway intersects with the Cashel-Cork motorway!

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭runway16

Ah..... Now I get it!!!!! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭cjpm

God I'm sick of listening about the alternative route from Cork to Limerick. A total non-runner due to the large traffic volumes between Cork -Mallow - Charleville that any other route would fail to address.

Anyway.........

County councillors in north Cork are to lobby ministers to fast-track money for the motorway and for the second phase of the Fermoy Flood Relief Scheme.

Funding wasn’t made available to the NRA for the motorway under the last Government’s 2010-2013 road plan.

However, Cllr Ronan Sheehan (Lab), chairman of the council’s northern division, said he hoped that under the new programme for Government there will be a new National Development Plan which will release money for the project.

"On that basis, I would be hopeful the Atlantic Corridor (motorway from Sligo to Cork) will be expedited and I have also spoken to our local minister of state Seán Sherlock on this," Cllr Sheehan said.

"I acknowledge there are constraints with regard to the four year plan initiated by the former Fianna Fáil Government, but that does not necessarily negate the possibility of major road projects being revived.

"The Atlantic corridor, for example, is a vital piece of infrastructure linking the second and third largest cities in the country and is therefore essential in terms of the economic development of both regions."

Several councillors vowed to support the lobbying process, including Cllr Tim Collins (Ind) who said a motorway was badly needed to take traffic out of Charleville.

"It’s not so long ago a woman got knocked down and killed there. You can’t cross the road in Charleville and the local people deserve to have their town bypassed," Cllr Collins said.

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.ie/ireland/officials-to-lobby-for-motorway-and-flood-relief-funds-149145.html#ixzz1HVLtOT8P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭dowlingm

I'm staggered that the N20 now as when I drove it last 7 years ago (streetview ftw). I would have thought that with roads and other construction over the last 10 years the quarry would be half way to Mallow from Buttevant with the N20 redirected over a nice new 2-lane plus hard shoulder and a relief road around the village and yet there it is still winding away with 8 ft hedges right up to the traffic lanes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

dowlingm wrote: »
    ...would be half way to Mallow from Buttevant with the N20 redirected over a nice new 2-lane plus hard shoulder and a relief road around the village and yet there it is still winding away with 8 ft hedges right up to the traffic lanes.
    That's why the new road is so important.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

If it comes to putting tolls on this road, to make it getting done quicker - then they should just get on with it

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Compo82

I drove from Galway to Cork a couple of weeks ago and was surprised how bad the N20 was. This road should be prioritised for motorway upgrade. The N18 between Limerick and Galway has improved a lot in recent years.

Mc Love wrote: »
    If it comes to putting tolls on this road, to make it getting done quicker - then they should just get on with it
    Agreed, I've really swung in a tolls direction lately. There are none on the M11 or proposed for the M20. If we introduced tolls on these, we could probably complete them in 5-7 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

You would think that with the collapse in the price of land and the huge amount of unemployed construction staff that right now is exactly the time the Govt could get value for money and build some much needed infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

KerranJast wrote: »
    You would think that with the collapse in the price of land and the huge amount of unemployed construction staff that right now is exactly the time the Govt could get value for money and build some much needed infrastructure.

But but the fact that there is a HUGE Budget deficit means they cant.

If you loose your job and you have no income your not exactly going to go out and buy a car. The government are hugly down on income. So much so that they cannot cover their expenses. They are not going to add to those expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭cjpm

The bank bailout is currently €70 billion. That would have easily built 5600km of motorway.:mad::mad::mad:

80km roughly cost €1 billion at the height of the boom

Now we'd easily get over 100km for the same money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Hogzy wrote: »
    But but the fact that there is a HUGE Budget deficit means they cant.

If you loose your job and you have no income your not exactly going to go out and buy a car.
    A car is a luxury though. Motorways are infrastructure so are an investment. It would be more like paying to do extra courses and training in your analogy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

A car is a luxury though. Motorways are infrastructure so are an investment. It would be more like paying to do extra courses and training in your analogy.

Well there is technically a road in existence. If i need to travel by car to work and i have a shi1ty car. If i dont have the money then i cant buy a new car even though i need a new car.

This motorway wont even be considered until 2015/2020 i would think.
    There are more important things (non infrastructure wise) that need the money. Its not as simple as just getting a load of cash from the IMF and Ireland can spend it the way we want. Ministers are given budgets. The current budget for the minister for transport is probably nowhere near what is required for this motorway. So he cant order for its construction. It doesnt matter how much we need it the money isnt there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭busman

Did An Bord Pleanala rule on this project yet?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

There are more important things (non infrastructure wise) that need the money.

Such as? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

A car is a luxury though...

Ah no it's not, it's an absolute necessity in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Wild Bill wrote: »

1. Security for the Queen
    2. Jump leads for Obamas car
    3. Speechwriters for Enda Kenny

Wild Bill wrote: »
    Exactly. Please don't pull out that old canard about the healthcare budget - we all know it's overfunded if anything (2.5 times higher budget than in 1999).

Spending money on infrastructure doesn't use up money - it creates wealth - it creates jobs and stimulates the economy and improves efficiency and saves time way into the future. Despite our ballooning debt, it's arguable that we should be spending more on infrastructure even if it means more borrowing. It would certainly provide a higher return than bailouts/NAMA etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭veryangryman

I guess Education should be listed as higher priority

Aint no roads going to be built not revenue gained from smart-job-high taxes if were all dumbasses flipping burgers

I guess Education should be listed as higher priority

Aint no roads going to be built not revenue gained from smart-job-high taxes if were all dumbasses flipping burgers
    The only priority for education is the divestment from the Church, but I don't think that'll be expensive cause the State already pays all the salaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

spacetweek wrote: »
    The only priority for education is the divestment from the Church, but I don't think that'll be expensive cause the State already pays all the salaries.

What about buying all those church owned schools?

I don't think we need to invest more in education, we need to apply the correct standards and use benchmarking properly i.e. wages go up and down according to the assessed ability of the individual teacher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Back on topic, the M20 scheme has not yet received planning permission because ABP are awaiting detailed responses to the concerns highlighted in the attached document.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

antoobrien wrote: »
    What about buying all those church owned schools?

Built with state money, usually on state land? No purchase cost there...

Advertisement