Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Two transmitting in HD resolution

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Yes - I noticed that too. Thought it was a setting on my receiver, but turned out not to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I see that too, maybe some upgrade work going on in RTÉ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭JDxtra

It's the same on Sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

4:3 material still not being pillarboxed on RTE2 HD as it is on other stations like CH4 HD. Pictures are from the Simpsons, first on RTE2 HD, the second on CH4 HD. Hopefully sorted soon, as some TV's can't be set to 4:3 when in 1080i resolution. TV is a Sony W4000. TV in widescreen mode for both images.

159627.jpg

159628.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The first 2 HD transmissions will be next weekend after Saorview launch number 2.

"To mark the launch, on Saturday and Sunday (28th- 29th May), RTÉ Two HD will broadcast the Magners League Final between Munster and Leinster in Thomond Park on the Saturday and the Munster Hurling Championship Quarter Final between Cork and Tipperary on Sunday. "

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Excellent. Looking forward to this.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The first 2 HD transmissions will be next weekend after Saorview launch number 2.

"To mark the launch, on Saturday and Sunday (28th- 29th May), RTÉ Two HD will broadcast the Magners League Final between Munster and Leinster in Thomond Park on the Saturday and the Munster Hurling Championship Quarter Final between Cork and Tipperary on Sunday. "

doen't say anything about them being in hd though? they might be showing them, but will they be native hd or upscaled? was that pulled from a longer piece that says they will be hd?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

mossym wrote: »
    doen't say anything about them being in hd though? they might be showing them, but will they be native hd or upscaled? was that pulled from a longer piece that says they will be hd?

They've been upscaling them for ages

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Tonio

No champions league in HD on Saturday??

No to foreign games in HD!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    They've been upscaling them for ages

i know, that was my point, having them in the epg doens't mean they will be hd, they could be upscaled

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

The fact that they referred to RTÉ Two HD (as opposed to just RTE Two), plus those two events being singled out at all, would suggest they will be HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭County rebel

Sorry if this question was asked before put to get HD on RTE2HD channel do you need any extra equipment apart from your saorview approved tv THANKS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

Just saw an ad on RTE advertising the fact that the Leinster v Munster game would 'for the first time be shown in HD on Saorview' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,114 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Is RTE2 HD a separate channel on Saorview, or will the HD programming just come through on RTE2 ?

Nope RTE2 is "HD" all the time (even when its showing SD or upscaled)

How can a channel show SD and be HD all the time?

Confused.

I have been watching RTE2 quite often since tuning in Saorview about a month ago, and there not been 1 single programme I would have said was better than SD quality.

Do they still a little 'HD' logo in the corner when showing HD material?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

NIMAN wrote: »
    How can a channel show SD and be HD all the time?

Confused.

I have been watching RTE2 quite often since tuning in Saorview about a month ago, and there not been 1 single programme I would have said was better than SD quality.

Do they still a little 'HD' logo in the corner when showing HD material?

Because its broadcast in 1080i but upscaled from sd to 1080i

So when I watch RTE2 on Saorview all the programming is, at the very least, upscaled to 1080i ?

Well I have seen upscaled SD material before and it definitely had the look of HD about it, but I have to say that in a few weeks of watching RTE2 on Saorview I have not seen a single thing I would class as being any better than the stuff on other Saorview channels, or Sky SD channels.

Do I need to do a rescan to get RTE2 HD?

So when I watch RTE2 on Saorview all the programming is, at the very least, upscaled to 1080i ?

Well I have seen upscaled SD material before and it definitely had the look of HD about it, but I have to say that in a few weeks of watching RTE2 on Saorview I have not seen a single thing I would class as being any better than the stuff on other Saorview channels, or Sky SD channels.

Do I need to do a rescan to get RTE2 HD?

No, what you're getting is HD. There's no SD feed on Saorview. It certainly looks better than the other Saorview channels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

It's around the boards somewhere that RTE Two just like Channel 4HD, will only have a HD DOG when the source material is HD & not upscaled SD.

Karsini wrote: »
    No, what you're getting is HD. There's no SD feed on Saorview. It certainly looks better than the other Saorview channels.

To be honest it never really struck me as looking that good. Certainly nowhere near the quality of some of the stuff I have seen of BBC HD on Freesat. Maybe I need to go to Specsavers?

Suppose it opens the whole question/myth about how good/poor HD can be, and when is HD not HD.

Well upscaled SD won't look as good as HD but should still be better than normal SD due to the higher bit rate of the HD channel. The SD channels on Saorview are only at 544x576.

It's around the boards somewhere that RTE Two just like Channel 4HD, will only have a HD DOG when the source material is HD & not upscaled SD.

Posted this previously, from RTÉ last Aug
    It is planned that the service will carry a new logo/bug ‘RTÉ 2 HD’ and also a short animation will be played, probably a lower third
    super, on handover to the live event.
    In all cases the transmission schedule/running order will contain specific data to indicate the true HD events.

Karsini wrote: »
    Well upscaled SD won't look as good as HD but should still be better than normal SD due to the higher bit rate of the HD channel. The SD channels on Saorview are only at 544x576.

So its better than SD but worse than HD?

For me, thats not HD then, its a watery version of it you can sell to people in Currys who haven't a clue about TVs.

So will 1080i on Saorview not look as goof as 1080i on BBC HD or Sky?

What is the resolution of SD on Sky platform compared to the Saorview 544x576?

To be honest it never really struck me as looking that good. Certainly nowhere near the quality of some of the stuff I have seen of BBC HD on Freesat. Maybe I need to go to Specsavers?

Suppose it opens the whole question/myth about how good/poor HD can be, and when is HD not HD.

When is HD not HD, basically down to the bitrate allocated. This is how Spain sees it - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=69313598

For me, thats not HD then, its a watery version of it you can sell to people in Currys who haven't a clue about TVs.

Not everything on Sky 1 HD or Channel 4 HD is in HD, most episodes of The Simpsons for example. These are upscaled, but if a programme has been made in HD it will be shown that way. RTÉ 2 will be no different.

SD resolutions on Sky can vary widely, anything from 720x576 to 352x288.

to get HD on RTE2HD channel do you need any extra equipment apart from your saorview approved tv THANKS.

No.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Sorry if this question was asked before put to get HD on RTE2HD channel do you need any extra equipment apart from your saorview approved tv THANKS.

No, it is already broadcast in HD. The material is just upscaled, but the broadcast is, from a technical aspect, in HD. The Magniers Final, Munster Vs Leinster will be in actual HD, the first HD broadcast. Great. Hope the match is as good as the Heino final. I]But not necessarily the same result[/I

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

This is a sample for RTÉ Two SD on Sky.
    (Notice average bit rate of 3.8mbs & max of 8.3mbs)

http://www.digitalbitrate.com/dbr.php?link=0&mux=10744&pid=9602&live=69&mode=2&note=0&lang=en

Advertisement