Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Queen visit related discussion goes here.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Luxie

Gypsies wrote: »
    I agree. I was wondering did anybody else take offence to what Gay Byrne said after Olivia O'Leary's likewise disrespectful ditty. I'd love to know which female Government Minister said between gritted teeth that she would not bow. O'Leary made at least 2 references to not bowing before the Queen. IMO, The Queen is The Queen & it is a respectful gesture to bow to her - I also understand and realise that there are people out there who would not wish to do so and if they feel like that, then they should not agree to meet with Her. Since the event was hosted by Her Majesty, I would have expected O'Leary to have more respect for her. I was disappointed with Gay Byrne's comments too..

Has she taken over God's throne?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

Nodin wrote: »
    The third time you've made essentially the same post in this thread.
    No I did not. You did not notice O'learys ugly tone of voice ? ( when talking about the Queen )
    Pauleta wrote: »
    If she said that stuff about falling off the horse about my granny, i would of personally thrown her out on the street. Im sure the Queen only humoured her because she knew she was on a healing wounds type of visit.
    +1. And the curtsey bit set the wrong tone from the beginning as well. 200,000 Irish people volunteered for her armed forces in the 2 world wars alone ...almost every Irish family has someone who emigrated to England + got a job there ... so I would say at least some Irish people would not mind curtseying to her if it was the appropriate protocol / courteous thing to do to the head of state of another country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

The third time you've made essentially the same post in this thread. You obviously didn't get the reaction you wanted the other two times, what makes you think it'll be third time lucky?

Well I certainly wont mention it again, just in case I receive another 'smart' reply from you.

This is the time for building bridges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

gigino wrote: »
    No I did not. You did not notice O'learys ugly tone of voice ? ( when talking about the Queen ).

No. And neither did most people. This would imply that there was more likelihood of there being no "ugly one" to be noted than there being one that was missed.

Some people seem to think that respect requires being obsequious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

Didnt know which thread it should be in but imagine with all that going on at the mo i'd post it here.

Bomb just went off in Derry on one of the main shopping streets, Shipquay st.
    Its on Sky news at the mo

• Advertisement

Some people seem to think that respect requires being obsequious.

Some people think that if you give a speech in front of the Queen, you should not talk about her as a comedian would talk about someone else. As someone else on this thread said, Tommy Tiernan could not have insulted her any more.

Sad news about the bomb if its true. But the people who carried it out will simply say they are just the modern day counterparts of those whom the memorial in the garden of remembrance is dedicated to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

theboss80 wrote: »
    Didnt know which thread it should be in but imagine with all that going on at the mo i'd post it here.

Bomb just went off in Derry on one of the main shopping streets, Shipquay st.
    Its on Sky news at the mo
    [url]HTTP://www.examiner.ie/breakingnews/ireland/derry-blast-a-bomb-attack-on-building-society-sf-councillor-505913.html[/url]

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

200,000 Irish people volunteered for her armed forces in the 2 world wars alone.

People have been quoting figures of Irishmen who volunteered for WW1 as if those numbers show some kind of royalist opinion in Irish society at the time.

It has to be remembered that 100,000 Irishmen signed up at the behest of John Redmond, leader of the Irish nationalists.

These men were members of the Irish Volunteers, or Óglaigh na hÉireann, which later became known as the Irish Republican Army.

While it is correct to remember those who died, it's also correct to remember their motivation for joining the fight against Imperial Germany. For the Irish Volunteers it wasn't because of any sense of loyalty to the British Crown, it was because of their loyalty to Ireland and the concept of home rule.

It was the British government's complete mismanagement of Ireland and the political situation there that led to many of these returning volunteers to take up arms against the Crown that they had so recently fought for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Are we all rich from the non-stop tourism yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

CiaranC wrote: »
    Not sure, I'm too busy turning down all the job offers coming my way after voting Yes to Lisbon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

RonMexico wrote: »
    Olivia O'Leary spoke as if the Queen wasn't in the same room. All her taking about refusing to curtsy and mentioning the government minister who said likewise was not humorous, it was bloody rude. We know you don't have to do it, but there is no need to harp on about it to her face. The stuff about the horse was pathetic. I was half expecting her to say - "We still hate you really."

What will she do next, make a speech about Obama and keep mentioning that he is black?
    Really? I didn't hear the speech but out of curiosity I have just googled and read it

http://www.thejournal.ie/we-were-a-bit-worried-about-the-curtsy-olivia-o-learys-ode-to-the-queen-140329-May2011/

I thought the speech was perfectly nice, and the references to how the people of Ireland were enthusiastic to her visit must have been a nice reassurance to the QE2 who, lets face it, hasn't really seen many of them on the streets. The Queen can remember the bad old days, including the murder of her close relative and friend, Mountbatten, so don't think she would have been shocked or hurt by a harmless little anecdote about a curtsy crisis. Overall the speech was warm, funny, and gave the everyman's perspective on the royal visit, something I'm sure was welcomed by all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Show Time wrote: »
    You are from Youghal which makes you more of a Waterford man then anything.

Sure Charleville may as well be in Limerick so.:pac: Between Christy Cooney and yesterday cork came out very well.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

later10 wrote: »
    Overall the speech was warm, funny, .....
    funny ? Nobody laughed. If our President/ head of state was 85 years old + invited to a concert in London, would you like it if someone spoke about her - not to her - from the stage like that , esp about falling off the horse etc ? Or do you think O'Leary's cutting curtsey comments would have been said if it was the Queen of Spain or Sweden who visited ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

funny ? Nobody laughed. If our President/ head of state was 85 years old + invited to a concert in London, would you like it if someone spoke about her - not to her - from the stage like that , esp about falling off the horse etc ? Or do you think O'Leary's cutting curtsey comments would have been said if it was the Queen of Spain or Sweden who visited ?

Absolutely ridiculous forced outrage.
    And who for years rode side saddle herself at the Trooping of the Colour as we waited, fascinated, to see if she might fall off. But, she never did. The Queen does not slip.

How in the name of jesus is that insulting?

you need to take the tone of what was said before that in context. On this very thread numerous posters expressed great surprise and regret at O'Learys speech as it was being made. As someone else said "I'd love to know which female Government Minister said between gritted teeth that she would not bow. O'Leary made at least 2 references to not bowing before the Queen"

As someone else said "I'd love to know which female Government Minister said between gritted teeth that she would not bow.
    Kathleen Lynch came immediately into my head. I would put money on Kathleen Lynch; I wouldn't even think about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

you need to take the tone of what was said before that in context. On this very thread numerous posters expressed great surprise and regret at O'Learys speech as it was being made. As someone else said "I'd love to know which female Government Minister said between gritted teeth that she would not bow. O'Leary made at least 2 references to not bowing before the Queen"

You need to remember that many many people in Ireland pride themselves on being republicans (not 'RA heads, just old fashioned anti-monarch republicans), and for those people, bowing to the Queen would be something they would not like to do. It doesn't mean that they would not welcome her to Ireland as a head of state, and respect her as such.

People are getting awfully worked up over nothing really

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

I thought the speech was awful to be honest,she was trying to be funny.....and ended up coming off as rude and even pretentious,i cringed through most of it as i have no doubt most in the room did

Did anybody else ever think that Ruth Buchanan (broadcaster, wife of Shane Ross) was the same person as Olivia O'Leary?

I remember hearing them both on the radio at the same time, and stared at the radio in a perplexing Katherine Kane/ Batwoman confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,004 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

CiaranC wrote: »

Not until the tourist traps and the ferry companies stop robbing people., and actually give tourists more incentive to come here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Sure people are still banging on about when Martin Johnson made the president walk on the grass at Lansdowne Road. The horse "joke", i found the most distasteful.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Gypsies

I thought the speech was awful to be honest,she was trying to be funny.....and ended up coming off as rude and even pretentious,i cringed through most of it as i have no doubt most in the room did
    Me too TTJ. From the beginning, I felt very uncomfortable with it and wondered where is this going? I felt embarrassment for the Queen and I'm sure Mary McAleese felt uneasy too. I was even foolish enough to think that O'Leary would bow as she left the stage, making a statement that she did indeed respect the queen.. What I heard in that cringeworthy speech was "We accept you, but we won't respect you". It was a horrible message to put to The Queen and put a damper on the otherwise great Irish Welcome that HM received here. She had one hell of a cheek speaking like that, at a function which was hosted by The Queen! Does O'Leary not know the basic common courtesy of being respectful towards your host? And more importantly, by not being rude to a visiting guest!

Some people think that if you give a speech in front of the Queen, you should not talk about her as a comedian would talk about someone else. As someone else on this thread said, Tommy Tiernan could not have insulted her any more..

Yeah, like I said - some people think that respect requires being obsequious.

Hopefullly Mr Tiernan will take that as a challenge next time round and we can do a comparison.

You're taking the piss, aren't you.....
    O'Leary made at least 2 references to not bowing before the Queen

O Noes!!!!!!! The Sheer fucking horror of it all.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

Gypsies wrote: »
    Me too TTJ. From the beginning, I felt very uncomfortable with it and wondered where is this going? I felt embarrassment for the Queen and I'm sure Mary McAleese felt uneasy too. I was even foolish enough to think that O'Leary would bow as she left the stage, making a statement that she did indeed respect the queen.. What I heard in that cringeworthy speech was "We accept you, but we won't respect you". It was a horrible message to put to The Queen and put a damper on the otherwise great Irish Welcome that HM received here. She had one hell of a cheek speaking like that, at a function which was hosted by The Queen! Does O'Leary not know the basic common courtesy of being respectful towards your host? And more importantly, by not being rude to a visiting guest!

why would she bow as she left the stage?

I knew O'Leary would not bow as she left the stage, given she had spoken so cheekily and even said to the Queen at the function which was hosted by the Queen " we accept you but we won't respect you".

I bet she would bend for the Pope ? I do not know if she ever has or not ( although I think our President has made 7 or 8 seperate visits to the Vatican since taking office).
    Etiquette for the Pope is to "Make a low bow, or go down on one knee, when being presented to the pontiff. Once again, disregard your religious affiliation. Take the pope's right hand and kiss his ring if you're a Catholic."
    http://www.ehow.com/how_11183_greet-pope.html#ixzz1N15jwp1m
    Respect for the Queen :
    Since they are not subjects of the royal family, the Obamas were not expected to comply, but President Obama did bow slightly from the waist as he met the queen and her husband.http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/International/story?id=7228105&page=1

If Obama behaves like that towards the Queen, it shows how O'Learys speech - and Gay Byrnes endorsement - was in such bad taste, to put it mildly.
    Personally I think respect should always be given to such heads of state etc.

I knew O'Leary would not bow .......

Why would she bow?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

Why would she bow?

^^^ exactly.... i honestly think some of the posters here think we're still under british rule

^^^ exactly.... i honestly think some of the posters here think we're still under british rule

Not even that. We're citizens of a republic. We don't have to bow. Bowing to anyone isn't part of our culture. You remember the abuse fired at the Bishops a while back for bowing and kissing the Popes ring?

Bowing to anyone isn't part of our culture.
    You never saw any Irish person bowing to the Pope ?

• Advertisement

You never saw any Irish person bowing to the Pope ?

They're under no requirement to do so, and it seems rather medieval in this day and age.

Again - why should olivia o'leary bow?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement