Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lame ass maths riddle

• 20-04-2011 11:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

What is 30÷2(2+3)÷5

Is it 15?

or 0.6?
    Or is this question broken?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I Don't understand the question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Well what does the equation equal? Or is there something wrong with it?

Isn't it 15?

30 divided by two

equals 15

2 plus three equals 5

15 multiplied by five equals 75

75 divided by five is fifteen.

No? It's been a while since I was in school, but I thought that was the way it worked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

It's 30 over the 2(2+3) over 5.
    So that's 30 divided by (2X5) divided by 5.
    Which is 30/10 divided by 5.
    Which is 3/5 = 0.6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

^^ I got that at first.

If you want to get 15 you can.

2(2+3) divided by 5 = 2
    30 divided by 2 = 15.

This is basically asking 30 divided by 10 divided by 5, and I didn't think maths necessarily went from left to right.

Edit: google suggests .6 is correct
    link

• Advertisement

I love troll maths

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mari2222

it is 15. to get the answer .6 you would need another set of brackets within the equation.

Here's another one

-20=-20
    16-36=25-45 (16-36=-20,25-45=-20)
    4^2-36 = 5^2-45 (4^2=16,5^2=25)
    4^2-36 = 5^2-45
    4^2-2.4.9/2 = 5^2-2.5.9/2 (2.4.9/2=36,2.5.9/2=45)
    4^2-2.4.9/2 +(9/2)^2 = 5^2-2.5.9/2 +(9/2)^2 (adding both the sides (9/2)^2
    [4-(9/2)]^2 = [5-(9/2)]^2 (let 4=a,9/2=b)
    4-(9/2) = 5-(9/2)
    4 = 5
    2+2 = 5

And

10x^2-19x=-6 =?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭2cool4school

youve lost me lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭desertstorm

1290616506315.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

What is 30÷2(2+3)÷5

Is it 15?

or 0.6?
    30÷2(2+3)÷5
    15(5)/5
    =15:confused:
    Maybe or maybe not. But I read it exactly the same as Papa smut

0.6 - brackets first, then multiplication, then divide left->right

A common technique for remembering the order of operations is the abbreviation "PEMDAS", which is turned into the phrase "Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally". It stands for "Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division, and Addition and Subtraction".
    http://www.purplemath.com/modules/orderops.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

bluewolf wrote: »
    0.6 - brackets first, then multiplication, then divide left->right

http://www.purplemath.com/modules/orderops.htm

:o I'll just put my hat back on and go stand in my corner again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

It's only a riddle if you can't remember primary school maths. Brackets first, then multiplication, then division. There is more than one division, then go left to right, giving 0.6.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭MJRS

I thought multiplication and division were equal priority so you just do left to right? Hence the acronym being BOMDAS or BODMAS, both are valid. Isn't this one of loads of maths problems with two provable correct answers?

Got this from the ever reliable wiki "These mnemonics may be misleading,
    especially if the user is not aware that
    multiplication and division are of equal
    precedence, as are addition and subtraction."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

answer = 0.6

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

Didn't your teacher teach you about BOMDAS?

edit; oops missed MJRS's post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭randombar

Back in my day it was BOMDAS!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭davetherave

youve lost me lads

Maybe you should have stayed in school?? :o ....sorry

It's 0.6.

30÷2(2+3)÷5 brackets first
    30÷2(5)÷5 then multiplication
    30÷10÷5 then division left to right
    3÷5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭28064212

It's 15. The only way it could be 0.6 is if you redefine 5(2+3) to mean (5 * (2+3)) instead of 5 * (2+3). Bracket notation for multiplication is just shorthand, it doesn't change the precedence.

30÷2(2+3)÷5
    = 30÷2(5)÷5
    = 30÷2*5÷5 (÷ and * have equal precedence and are left-associative, so you do them left-to-right)
    = 15*5÷5
    = 75÷5
    = 15

The bolded part is where most people make their mistake. "Brackets first" means you calculate what is inside the brackets first. when brackets are used for multiplication it is just shorthand for *.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    It's 15. The only way it could be 0.6 is if you redefine 5(2+3) to mean (5 * (2+3)) instead of 5 * (2+3). Bracket notation for multiplication is just shorthand, it doesn't change the precedence.

30÷2(2+3)÷5
    = 30÷2(5)÷5
    = 30÷2*5÷5 (÷ and * have equal precedence and are left-associative, so you do them left-to-right)
    = 15*5÷5
    = 75÷5
    = 15

The bolded part is where most people make their mistake. "Brackets first" means you calculate what is inside the brackets first. when brackets are used for multiplication it is just shorthand for *.

Damn you, I thought I was right and now I'm confused.

Why have you forsaken me BOMDAS? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

i dont know, maybe ask in the maths forum?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,603 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

JBnaglfar wrote: »
    ^^ I got that at first.

If you want to get 15 you can.

2(2+3) divided by 5 = 2
    30 divided by 2 = 15.

This is basically asking 30 divided by 10 divided by 5, and I didn't think maths necessarily went from left to right.

Edit: google suggests .6 is correct
    link
    no it doesn't

http://www.google.ie/search?rlz=1C1DVCP_enIE394IE394&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=30+divided+by+10+divided+by+5#sclient=psy&hl=en&rlz=1C1DVCP_enIE394IE394&source=hp&q=30%C3%B72(2%2B3)%C3%B75&aq=&aqi=&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=9838aa61b26af9a1&biw=1312&bih=560
    Cool Mo D wrote: »
    It's only a riddle if you can't remember primary school maths. Brackets first, then multiplication, then division. There is more than one division, then go left to right, giving 0.6.
    Maybe you should have stayed in school?? :o ....sorry
    It's 0.6.

30÷2(2+3)÷5 brackets first
    30÷2(5)÷5 then multiplication
    30÷10÷5 then division left to right
    3÷5

LMFAO

Trying to be condesending and end up looking like a fool
    You should probably go back to school your self guys

30÷2(2+3)÷5............so brackets first
    30÷2(5)÷5................2(5) is a shorthand way of writing 2x5, so lets change that so you don't get confused
    30÷2x5÷5..................Multiplication and division arecomplimentary so the order doesn't matter

30x5÷5÷2
    30÷5÷2x5 etc all equal 15

Anybody that is getting .6 is obviously dividing 30 by 10
    That's the same as dividing by both 2 and 5. Which is obviously wrong as their is no ÷ before the 5.
    For that to be the case it would have to read

30÷(2(2+3))÷5 or 30÷2÷(2+3)÷5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

I don't know why anyone is being condescending tbh.

According to Mellor's link, Google is putting in an extra pair of brackets to come up with that answer. There's an ambiguity about the structure of the question that leads me to believe that both answers are valid

Which leads to petty squabbles on the internet about who's right given there are two valid ways.

I don't know why anyone is being condescending tbh.

According to Mellor's link, Google is putting in an extra pair of brackets to come up with that answer. There's an ambiguity about the structure of the question that leads me to believe that both answers are valid

Which leads to petty squabbles on the internet about who's right given there are two valid ways.
    Google puts in brackets for clarification, it doesn't change the precedence. Put in 6 - 2 * 3 and it will "change" it to 6 - (2 * 3).

The only way there's ambiguity is if you change 2(5) to mean something different to 2 * 5

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

There is only something ambiguous if you make a mistake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

The question is broken really. Even though there is a correct way of doing it, anyone who writes an equation in that fashion is an ignoramus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

What is 30÷2(2+3)÷5

Is it 15?

or 0.6?

just saw this,

I thought you first caclulate whats in the brackets -> (2+3) = 5
    then you multiply it by 2 -> 2(5)=10
    then the 2 divisions are dont in the order they appear sp first 30/10=3
    then 3/5=.6

could be well wrong

Work from left to right, breaking the equation into sections (and using BOMDAS as your guide).

The answer is 0.6
    Only if you ignore precedence and associativity rules. You do not multiply 2(5) before dividing 30 by 2. The "B" in BOMDAS only refers to operations inside brackets. 2(5) is just shorthand for 2 * 5, and 30 ÷ 2 * 5 ÷ 5 is 15

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

MJRS wrote: »
    I thought multiplication and division were equal priority so you just do left to right? Hence the acronym being BOMDAS or BODMAS, both are valid. Isn't this one of loads of maths problems with two provable correct answers?

Got this from the ever reliable wiki "These mnemonics may be misleading,
    especially if the user is not aware that
    multiplication and division are of equal
    precedence, as are addition and subtraction."

What about BIRDMAS brackets, indices, roots, division, multiplication, addition and subtraction? Same answer anyway
    What is

Is it 15?

or 0.6?

30÷2(2+3)÷5

30÷(2)(5)÷5

(30÷10)÷5

3÷5 = .6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Kadongy

1290616506315.jpg
    This is true for a pixel representation of a circle (but not for an actual circle of course).

ClutchIt wrote: »
    The question is broken really. Even though there is a correct way of doing it, anyone who writes an equation in that fashion is an ignoramus
    nobody would write an quetion that way, the whole purpose of writing it that way is to confuse people with a weak understanding
    RHunce wrote: »
    What about BIRDMAS brackets, indices, roots, division, multiplication, addition and subtraction? Same answer anyway

30÷(2)(5)÷5

(30÷10)÷5

You realise that you can't get from to (30÷10)÷5
    You just applied the division sign to the first 5, which is retarded.
    You can't multiply 2 inside the brackets when there is a ÷ sign before it. Only + or -

30÷(2)(5)÷5
    15(5)÷5

I imagine you can finish from there:rolleyes:

Mellor wrote: »
    You realise that you can't get from to (30÷10)÷5
    You just applied the division sign to the first 5, which is retarded.
    You can't multiply 2 inside the brackets when there is a ÷ sign before it. Only + or -

30÷(2)(5)÷5
    15(5)÷5

I imagine you can finish from there:rolleyes:

My B2 in Honours Maths says otherwise :pac:

• Advertisement

30÷2(2+3)÷5

30÷(2)(5)÷5

(30÷10)÷5

3÷5 = .6
    Why are you multiplying (2)(5) first? How is 30÷(2)(5)÷5 any different to 30÷2*5÷5?

Again, brackets precedence only applies to operations inside the brackets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

Typed equation exactly as typed into my scientific calculator, answer is 0.6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

what would a B2 be worth when maths was maths in the 70's or 80's ?

Still maths pal, I'm not doing that project maths ****e, don't be bitter because you did OL

Wow the standard of this debate has really nosedived.

• Advertisement

Still maths pal, I'm not doing that project maths ****e, don't be bitter because you did OL
    But you're wrong. The answer is 15. Go back and read the thread

LMFAO

Maybe if you knew what you were doing you would of goten an A2, like i did :cool:
    Triangla wrote: »
    Typed equation exactly as typed into my scientific calculator, answer is 0.6.

I'm not going to be so silly as to say the calculator is wrong, but I guarantee you that you typed it in wrong.
    It's a well know problem, its exists in many forms.

Mellor wrote: »
    LMFAO

Maybe if you knew what you were doing you would of goten an A2, like i did :cool:

I'm not going to be so silly as to say the calculator is wrong, but I guarantee you that you typed it in wrong.
    It's a well know problem, its exists in many forms.

Mellor can you please post a link that explains why your way is correct and the other is wrong. I was sure it was 15 at first until I was convinced otherwise, now it's annoying me.

Mellor can you please post a link that explains why your way is correct and the other is wrong. I was sure it was 15 at first until I was convinced otherwise, now it's annoying me.
    What parts of these posts don't you understand?

30÷2(2+3)÷5
    = 30÷2(5)÷5
    = 15*5÷5
    = 75÷5
    = 15

Google puts in brackets for clarification, it doesn't change the precedence. Put in 6 - 2 * 3 and it will "change" it to 6 - (2 * 3).

The only way there's ambiguity is if you change 2(5) to mean something different to 2 * 5
    Only if you ignore precedence and associativity rules. You do not multiply 2(5) before dividing 30 by 2. The "B" in BOMDAS only refers to operations inside brackets. 2(5) is just shorthand for 2 * 5, and 30 ÷ 2 * 5 ÷ 5 is 15
    Why are you multiplying (2)(5) first? How is 30÷(2)(5)÷5 any different to 30÷2*5÷5?

Again, brackets precedence only applies to operations inside the brackets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

What parts of these posts don't you understand?

I understand all these posts. However they are just people stated what rules they followed, rather than providing any evidence that these are the correct rules.

Can you direct me somewhere where I can read an explanation of how to solve this correctly please.

I understand all these posts. However they are just people stated what rules they followed, rather than providing any evidence that these are the correct rules.

Can you direct me somewhere where I can read an explanation of how to solve this correctly please.
    Order of operations => Do what's inside the brackets first. All the other operations are of equal precedence (multiplication and division), so we look at...
    Operator associativity => multiplication and division are both left-associative, so are performed from left-to-right

But anybody getting 0.6 isn't following the rules, they are bringing ÷2 inside the brackets. nowhere rules has been posted that allows that.

30÷2(2+3)÷5 so we all agree that ÷5 is at the end and the 2+3 = 5, so this is the part that is confsuing people

30÷2(5)

What people are doing is multiplying ÷2 by 5 and getting ÷10 which is wrong. If it said ÷(2(5)) it wouls be fine but it doesn't, the ÷ sign is fixed to the 2

÷2(5) = ÷2x5 = x5÷2 = x2.5

or

÷2 is the same as x(1/2) or x(.5), (.5)x(5)= x2.5

Triangla - That's interesting.
    A google search suggests thats it not unheards of, casio calculators gettign confused. Apparently it's due to a built in coding to solve multiplication implied by brackets first. a rule that doesn't exist (its just the way people write) unless you believe 2(5) is different to 2x5,
    I imagine if you put a x sign before the bracket it returns 15. I hope we all agree that there is no difference.

Another one I've seen is

6÷2(1+2)

Again, you can see the same structure. The brackets draw you attention to the right, where you end up with 6÷2(3) and get 1

But it's wrong. 6÷2(3) is just shorthand. It should be re-written as 6÷2x3

It's written in a confusing way on purpose. It should never have been like that to begin with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

Its clearly 8.1.....

Thirty \ 4 + 3 \ 5

7.5 + .6

8.1 simples :)

:3

• Advertisement
Advertisement