Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 flinnders

Just got all 8!:eek: It wasn't easy with all the study and stress but keep at them and you'll get them
    Well done anyone who has got them!! Does anyone have notes for sale for us poor unfortunates who have it all before us?

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭colonel1

Hogzy wrote: »
    Does anyone have a copy of the Constitutional Paper. I cant find mine.

Sorry to hear about constitutional Hogzy, but presumably you got your property exam? The reason I ask is because of your recommendation of the Griffith course. I will do property next, but am trying to decide between indo and griffith.

Just got all 8!:eek: It wasn't easy with all the study and stress but keep at them and you'll get them

Wow well done hession.law. I thought just doing the 4 was tough going.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

colonel1 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about constitutional Hogzy, but presumably you got your property exam? The reason I ask is because of your recommendation of the Griffith course. I will do property next, but am trying to decide between indo and griffith.

lol yup, Passed property which i was happy with.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 legalsmeagle

got to log in after I did a password reset got 50 in eu & 50 in constit delighted thats leaves one in Oct...persistence paid off well done to all....

• Advertisement

What are peoples opinions of the Constitutional Course in Independent Colleges?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭blathblath

Passed my last exam (company) so happy! It has been some slog over the past 2 years. Thanks to everyone on this board for support, it really has been such a help.
    If anyone wants advice ( I reckon I am an expert at this stage) please just ask.
    Congrats to all those happy campers out there.

lol yup, Passed property which i was happy with.

Excellent news Hogzy:D Will you be selling the property manual? I wonder do they update them that often?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Mismatch

Got three out of four, first attempt - so relieved I don't have to do them all again! The way they mark them really is bizarre though. I don't think I deserved to pass EU, to be perfectly honest - but I did. I thought criminal was my best paper and I do genuinely know the criminal course well - but I only got 46%. Not sure if that's worth appealing.

Seriously though, like another poster above, I had loads of caselaw and references in criminal, and hardly any in EU! What are they on?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 mitty87

Hi everyone, just passed four out of five really happy but anyone reckon it's worth re-checking Contract as I got 44%?? Is it possible to come up by 6%???? Well Done everyone who passed!!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Fe1lady

mitty87 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, just passed four out of five really happy but anyone reckon it's worth re-checking Contract as I got 44%?? Is it possible to come up by 6%???? Well Done everyone who passed!!! :)

I'm in the same boat, 44 in Constitutional, wondering will you be brought up 6%? So hard to tell! Is it worth chancing 120Euro!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 JoannN

I got a solid mark in property (in the 60s) even though I went with the Indo course...I actually thought the course was pretty skimpy as well, even though I have no experience with the Griffith course, but if you learn EVERYTHING on the topics you do (and know the new act very well), you should be ok it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 mitty87

Ya exactly 120 quid to recheck or save a a tenner and do it again!! What to do!!

Fe1lady wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat, 44 in Constitutional, wondering will you be brought up 6%? So hard to tell! Is it worth chancing 120Euro!!

I got 45% in Constitutional last year, got it rechecked and was brought up to 48%. I just got 40% in constitutional so i dont know what to do.

JoannN wrote: »
    I got a solid mark in property (in the 60s) even though I went with the Indo course...I actually thought the course was pretty skimpy as well, even though I have no experience with the Griffith course, but if you learn EVERYTHING on the topics you do (and know the new act very well), you should be ok it seems.

Wow that was a good result. So far I haven't got 60 in anything, am delighted with my results in the 50s:D I have never done property, so would be a bit worried about a skimpy course. I know the manual is tiny, which is attractive mind you. Can you cut much out of the property course?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Emz2

mitty87 wrote: »
    Ya exactly 120 quid to recheck or save a a tenner and do it again!! What to do!!

I have gone up from 43 to 50 in Equity. Its total extortion and its always a risk and a long shot, but when you're repeating you'll be wondering if you could have spared the pain and social sacrifice if you'd chanced it.
    I'd give it a shot anyway.

Unfortunately, I must have completely misread a question( or 5 ) because unless they got the wrong person, I dont really know how I did so badly.

Can anybody advise on the best place to do Company, I have manuals but havent attended courses. Although one to one may be necessary, has anybody any experiences of grinds? I am a bit sceptical as I know fellow graduates who offered them who I wouldnt have considered that academic.

Anyway, any advice on how to get the final Company exam would be appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 T.Watson

Just wanted to say a big thanks to everyone on here for all the help over the past few months. Managed to pass EU and Property (don't know how I passed the latter but very relieved!) and found this forum brilliant for asking questions (even stupid ones!) and talking things through with people.

To those who didn't pass some, my comiserations. The knocks are hard but hopefully you can just keep on keeping on and good luck. FE1s are soul destroying but it's possible to muddle your way through with a mixture of cramming and luck. Thanks again and best of luck everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 JoannN

Wow that was a good result. So far I haven't got 60 in anything, am delighted with my results in the 50s:D I have never done property, so would be a bit worried about a skimpy course. I know the manual is tiny, which is attractive mind you. Can you cut much out of the property course?

Maybe it was because I got lucky with the topics I covered (I didn't even do the 2 succession questions in the end actually....). I left out all of the "old" issues e.g. estates, settlements, anything feudalism related as well as landlord and tenant but covered most of the rest in good detail, according to the manual, and the 2009 Act as well. I had a couple of very good questions on the paper - who would have thought the a similar Family Home Protection question would be asked for the third consecutive time :D - so that could also explain the good mark.

Tbh, these exams are a bit of a mystery to me...! But, imo you just need to cover as many topics as possible in medium detail and hope that you can reproduce that on the day; there are no smoke and mirrors!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 happy_man2010

Is there anyone that still cannot log in? I have been trying since 9.30 this morning with no success. It's torture. Have rang and e-mailed the law society.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 farela

What are peoples opinions of the Constitutional Course in Independent Colleges?

I did the distance learning course with Independent Colleges as I was working full time and I would highely recommend it. Excellent lecturer for a horrible subject ( constitutional ), he made it understandable and I am glad to say it paid off, passed my final fe1 today! Relief :)

• Advertisement

Emz2 wrote: »
    I have gone up from 43 to 50 in Equity. Its total extortion and its always a risk and a long shot, but when you're repeating you'll be wondering if you could have spared the pain and social sacrifice if you'd chanced it.
    I'd give it a shot anyway.

Unfortunately, I must have completely misread a question( or 5 ) because unless they got the wrong person, I dont really know how I did so badly.

Can anybody advise on the best place to do Company, I have manuals but havent attended courses. Although one to one may be necessary, has anybody any experiences of grinds? I am a bit sceptical as I know fellow graduates who offered them who I wouldnt have considered that academic.

Anyway, any advice on how to get the final Company exam would be appreciated

I was very impressed with the one day intensive revision courses offered by Griffith for Company (especially with the update case notes and such) and contract. They are heavy going but worth it. I will definitely do the property and tort one day courses in October.

Company can be a pain. The first time I sat it I got 14%, so it is possible to do quite badly in this subject. I would avoid second guessing Courtney, as he is proving to be very unpredictable, what with leaving out borrowing and the like on the March paper. Know the material and then practice exam questions. Have a look at his book as well in case the manual doesn't make sense. I still can't believe I passed, as I was certain that I would have to do this exam again. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭nehemiah

Is there anyone that still cannot log in? I have been trying since 9.30 this morning with no success. It's torture. Have rang and e-mailed the law society.

I had problems last night so I pressed request password and put in my Ref number and got a new password. This morning then it just kept saying the results are due up at 9.30 even though it was 10.30 so in the left corner it said
    You are here >>Home>>Becoming a solicitor>>Irish Applicants>>FE-1 Exam>> FE-1 Examination Results.

I took a step back to 'FE-1 Exam' and followed the login instructions on that page and it worked fine.

Hope this helps someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭SteJay

nehemiah wrote: »
    I had problems last night so I pressed request password and put in my Ref number and got a new password. This morning then it just kept saying the results are due up at 9.30 even though it was 10.30 so in the left corner it said

I took a step back to 'FE-1 Exam' and followed the login instructions on that page and it worked fine.

Hope this helps someone.

Legend!

Worked a charm was waiting since half 9 for it to work

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Chip Ralston

I got marked up to 50% from 42% in Contract after the October 2010 sitting.

Go for the recheck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

Go for the recheck!

You're lucky. I got nowhere with a recheck on contract last spring. You're encouraging me to gamble my 120 quid on constitutional though.

JCJCJC wrote: »
    You're lucky. I got nowhere with a recheck on contract last spring. You're encouraging me to gamble my 120 quid on constitutional though.

€120 is two nights out for me. Id gladly give up those 2 nights out to have a recheck and be 100% sure that the result i got was the result i deserved.

JC when i was talking to you after I felt you did a good exam from what you were saying you did. If I were you i would go for it. I am going to get Equity rechecked to see if i can come up 5%.
    Not going to bother with Constitutional because i know for a fact i did a sh*t paper.
    If you feel you deserve more then get the recheck.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Podge007

Go for the recheck!

How exactly does the re-check work? When do you hear back if you passed or not? Is it true it could be mid August by which stage you could have lots of study already done?! I was 2 marks off today from one of mine!!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭law_lady

Going to appeal my one fail because I'd only wonder 'what if?' if I don't, but I'm not optimistic. So sickened to miss out Blackhall 2011 by that one only. I had prepared myself to fail a different one, but not this one!!

But just on the off chance that the appeal was a success, when are the recheck results out (as in from previous experience, does it genuinely take 8-10 weeks?) and when is the closing date for applications for this years PPC1?

I know they both seem to arrive in August and I wouldn't be a bit surprised at this stage if they gave the recheck result after the date for applying to PPC1 had passed!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Passed all eight in the one go...

makes the three months of blood, sweat and tears worth it.

Thanks for the help and encouragement on the forum here - good luck to all who have yet to get results, congrats to those who passed and commiserations to those who didn't.

Yay!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Mr Nonar

Hey guys,

A heartily congratulations to all those who received their results. I am rather envious. Only setting out on the FE1 road. Will be attempting my first four in Oct. I plan on taking Company, Equity, Contract & Land. What does everyone think of this subject combo? It means for my 2nd set I’ll have Constitutional, Tort, EU & Criminal. Would they be doable together?

Also planning on doing a Revision Course with either Griffith or Independent. Swaying more towards Griffith as their lectures for Equity, Land, Company & Contract seem a little more experienced. What everybody’s experience of this? Did anybody find any college better or worse for these subjects? I guess I could mix and match between both Law Schools. Any advice from some seasoned FE1 takers would be greatly experienced! Will be doing the online course. It seems on this forum that everybody is quite praiseworthy of the online courses.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement