Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you leave your child unattended?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Heh, I just remembered that my Dad used to leave me and my Brothers in the car all the time to go into the bookies, sometimes for 20 minutes or more. My area is like junkie central too, surprised I wasn't murdered or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

dj jarvis wrote: »
    i was at a family fun day at a church event in shankill village a few years back ,
    we parked out on the main road like most others , passed one car and it had a 1 year old or less having a crying fit in its child seat , me and the wife were very distressed at this vista - we waited for about 5 mins and decided to go to the event organizers - they put a call out for the mother / father to go quickly back and deal with the child

15 mins later another call was put out via the PA but this time the announcer was very agitated and upset and was demanding that this child be delt with NOW , it was a hot day and the child had been crying for at least 20 mins at this stage

we left about 10/15 minutes later and started to walk back towards the car , at this stage a group of concerned people were debating should they put the window in and get the kid out from the car

as we were leaving to move the car i could hear the ambulance/fire brigade / cops coming in the distance

now i ask ya , what kind of cnut would leave a BABY on its own for so long ?? honest 2 god i cant understand the sheer ignorance and stupidity of some parents - a good dig in the face would have been perfectly justified for either male or female in this case :mad: they would not be so quick to do it again , poor child :mad:
    God, that must have been so distressing. I can't help thinking about all the couples who would love to have children but can't conceive naturally or even with the help of IVF :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

IngazZagni wrote: »
    While it's wrong for sure, it would have been a lot worse if it was on the side of the road on a public street. This however was an underground carpark with lots of security and cctv and auto plate readers. As I said though it's still wrong.

That doesn't stop stuff happening,just helps you see who did it later. Kid would still be gone.
    Local shop, parked outside door with doors all locked is as far as I will go.

phasers wrote: »
    Heh, I just remembered that my Dad used to leave me and my Brothers in the car all the time to go into the bookies, sometimes for 20 minutes or more. My area is like junkie central too, surprised I wasn't murdered or something.

My dad was forever leaving myself and my siblings in the car while he went to B&Q and the supermarket. I always used to see plenty of other kids left in cars as well. I don't think it was socially unacceptable back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

A brilliant quote I'll always remember from Parenthood, the movie, "...you need a licence to own a dog, you need a licence to drive a car- hell, you even need a licence to catch a fish, but they'll let any butt-reaming asshole be a father"

Change father to parent and that's one hell of a sad but true statement :(!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭raveni

Shocking stuff. Cannot understand how anyone could do that, quickly popping into a shop with the car still in sight is one thing but 40 minutes is madness.

Reminded me of a video I'd seen before:

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bmarley

I left my week old baby in her pram in the aisle of a supermarket. I had walked nearly the whole way home before I realised. Baby was fine, unaware of the drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ladypip

No way would i leave my child alone in a car for 2 minutes let alone more than 40 mins!
    Its neglect poor and simple. What kind of parent would do that it boogles the mind. Some people just don't pay attention.

I collected my son from playschool not long ago and i got chatting to another of the little boys Dads outside. We had a good long conversation all the while my little boy was holding my hand. I wasn't paying attention to where his son was because frankly thats his job and i assumed his son was holding his hand also, turns out the little boy had wandered off out of the shopping centre where the playschool is through the car park and was right next to the main road when the idiot finally realized he wasn't standing next to us and went looking for him. I was horrified that he hadnt been aware of where the child was while he had a 15 minute conversation. Ive also noticed the kid being allowed to wander as he talks to other parents i keep my distance now as i dont want to be the reason he was distracted and his kid gets run over or taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

I was in my local car park last year when a little boy of about 3 cam running by crying histerically, i was worried about talking to a strange child (you cant be too careful, I didnt want to be accused of anything) but I stopped him and in between his sobbing I got him to take me to his car, a ticket was on the car which had been bought 20 mins earlier...I waited a further 10 mins, two other adults alerted by the crying joined me and we decided that as his parent was gone for at least 30 mins and the child had obviously been left alone in the car and had excaped that it was best to ring the gardai. The gardai came quickly and we waited, about 2 mins before the car parking ticket was up the motehr returned, and lie to the gardai but she hadnt a leg to stand on....I was totally shocked that anyone would leave a child in a car on a hot summers day too....I dont know what happened afterwards as I left the gardai to sort it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

I was going to link the video a few posts up. The whole series is very enjoyable, if a little repetitive.

Personally, I'd break into a car where a child was left unattended for any period of time on a hot day. Call the guards, explain what has happened and wait for the mother to come back and get an earful from said officers. Leaving a child unattended for convenience is a scummy thing to do IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Speaking as a human, I can't believe someone would do that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

bmarley wrote: »
    I left my week old baby in her pram in the aisle of a supermarket. I had walked nearly the whole way home before I realised. Baby was fine, unaware of the drama.

well it was only a week old, what did you expect, a bollicking?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Speaking as a human, I can't believe someone would do that.

what else would you be speaking as?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Today was a warm day?

Yes Warm not hot!

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    what else would you be speaking as?:confused:

'a parent' - the only people who have any empathy or concern for children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭djmcr

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0121/1224288007397.html

Look what happened in Limerick recently, three kids and car left running

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Shocking statistic from that Youtube video. Nearly one child a week dies from being left in a car!
    Sad. very sad.

solerina wrote: »
    I was in my local car park last year when a little boy of about 3 cam running by crying histerically, i was worried about talking to a strange child (you cant be too careful, I didnt want to be accused of anything) but I stopped him and in between his sobbing I got him to take me to his car, a ticket was on the car which had been bought 20 mins earlier...I waited a further 10 mins, two other adults alerted by the crying joined me and we decided that as his parent was gone for at least 30 mins and the child had obviously been left alone in the car and had excaped that it was best to ring the gardai. The gardai came quickly and we waited, about 2 mins before the car parking ticket was up the motehr returned, and lie to the gardai but she hadnt a leg to stand on....I was totally shocked that anyone would leave a child in a car on a hot summers day too....I dont know what happened afterwards as I left the gardai to sort it out.

Fair play, ye did the right thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

I don't understand, can you explain what you mean by that statement?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

dan719 wrote: »
    I was going to link the video a few posts up. The whole series is very enjoyable, if a little repetitive.

Personally, I'd break into a car where a child was left unattended for any period of time on a hot day. Call the guards, explain what has happened and wait for the mother to come back and get an earful from said officers. Leaving a child unattended for convenience is a scummy thing to do IMO.

She'd Probably be more pissed of at you for the cost of the window and the inconvenience!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

And you would be totally liable for the window. Cops might be able to break it but not you and then you are doing criminal damage.......

TheZohan wrote: »
    I don't understand, can you explain what you mean by that statement?

Commentary on situations such as this one often produce some 'Speaking as a parent' moments.

'Speaking as a parent, I think this is terrible', etc (watch the baby experiment video for some prime examples.)

Certain parents seem to think that only people who are parents can understand what is right and wrong in relation to the welfare of kids.
    That's all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Commentary on situations such as this one often produce some 'Speaking as a parent' moments.

'Speaking as a parent, I think this is terrible', etc (watch the baby experiment video for some prime examples.)

Certain parents seem to think that only people who are parents can understand what is right and wrong in relation to the welfare of kids.
    That's all.

Cool. One of these guys: ":rolleyes:" would have helped!

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

TheDriver wrote: »
    And you would be totally liable for the window. Cops might be able to break it but not you and then you are doing criminal damage.......

Really?

I know over here in Germany if you fear for the child's well-being (e.g. locked in a car on a hot day) you have every right to smash the car window to help the child - don't know the legalities if it's not a hot day though

In all honesty - and I mean it - I would rather be charged with criminal damage than have on my conscience for the rest of my life, the death of a child and that I stood by and possibly let it happen.

No decent judge in the world would penalised you harshly given the circumstances hopefully.

If I looked through a car window and saw a child was really suffering, yes, I would break the window. Honestly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Never mind all the scenarios of kidnapping people reckon will happen, if the child becomes ill, or gets caught up in something or falls head first in a footwell, it's an awful long time to be waiting for help.

Somebody said that some of the parents would look after a new TV in the back, better than they would their own kid. That's very true.
    LG3 wrote: »
    not a good idea to approach parent, one woman told me 'i should be ashamed of myself' cos i wouldnt buy my child a magazine, she was crying,. We cant buy our kids something everytime we go into a shop, especially kids maganines most costin €4 - €6!! I ate the woman out of it she'l defently keep her comments to herself in future, when it comes to how a parent should raise their child its a no go area!! Lady who saw child in car should have called security of the cops,.

Maybe you had a load of drink or were buying a pack of cigarettes, and the they felt sorry for the kid? Or maybe you weren't and they were a bit too nosey!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Biggins wrote: »
    In all honesty - and I mean it - I would rather be charged with criminal damage that have on my conscience for the rest of my life, the death of a child and that I stood by and possibly let it happen.

No decent judge in the world would penalised you harshly given the circumstances hopefully.

If I looked through a car window and saw a child was really suffering, yes, I would break the window. Honestly.

GOOD!!! That's the totally right attitude! Fcuk the window. I hope to god I'd do the same thing!

A few weeks ago here in Eindhoven I turned the corner in the town centre and there was a tot, about 18 months toddling around and NO ONE around her. I stayed with her, and was looking to see where her parents were. Her mother was sitting outside a chip shop on the phone, and she seen me looking around and got up and came over STILL ON THE PHONE. The distance between where the mother was sitting and where the child wandered off was considerable, not to metion it was very busy. I was so mad, I told her in my sh1te dutch she was totally irresponsible, no phone call was worth her childs life.

At the very least the child could have been injured by the people walking up and down, as she really was that small, and people weren't paying any attention!

End of the day - and this is so obvious, its stupid to have to even say it - car windows can be replaced, fines can be paid, etc - but god-damn lives can't!

It sometimes really angers me how bloody stupid and disregarding, people can be with their young kids.
    Some really, really don't deserve such precious things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Not true. (speaking as a non parent)

Then let the fcuker take you to court, trust me it's not going to happen. You think they would like their name slapped all over the local papers for abandoning a child for the sake of a car window? The window is more than likely insured anyway.

A similar incident happened to us in June 2007 except it involved a dog. Car was a 3 year old Audi. Dog was obviously distressed and had been in there for nearly an hour according to some people in a nearby cafe, it was 24 degrees outside so we put the side window in. Owner eventually came back, called cops, our last remark to him was "see you in court, bring your solicitor for the second case of animal cruelty". Never heard anything back from the cnut.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

phasers wrote: »

Standard answer: it was the 70s/80s. Pedos and murderers hadn't been invented yet and you could leave your key in the door.

Advertisement