Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you leave your child unattended?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

stovelid wrote: »
    Standard answer: it was the 70s/80s. Pedos and murderers hadn't been invented yet and you could leave your key in the door.

Ehhh.... what about the Industrial schools, Christian Brothers etc etc? Paedos have been around for centuries, so have murderers.

I agree that society was more innocent and naieve back then but these people still existed. I grew up in the 70's and we were always warned about the dangers of "strangers".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

bijapos wrote: »
    Paedos have been around for centuries, so have murderers.

But not joke detection techniques, alas.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Dub Ste

Jeez,that'd be like leaving three children under the age of five unattended in a holiday apartment while you went out for a meal,who'd do such a thing???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭EraseAndRewind

bmarley wrote: »
    I left my week old baby in her pram in the aisle of a supermarket. I had walked nearly the whole way home before I realised. Baby was fine, unaware of the drama.

your some tulip:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭rambutman

I used to have huge rows with my ex-wife over leaving our one year belted up and asleep in the car on main streets (such as cable street, the quays etc) in Dublin while she went off shopping. I'd say something like "what if somebody steals him"........chest out she blazenly say "but i locked the car".........onto the next question "what if theres a fire/accident - how does he get out"..............this then leads onto "ah shut up would you, why are you always criticizing me.............even re-typing it makes me mad.

This leads me onto a question - say for children under 5 - should someone awake/compus mentus (sp?)/able to deal with a situation at all times be present and supervising the children (24/7). Makes me think of calling around to see people early in the morning (but not too early as in before midday) at the weekend and seeing the kids running around downstairs with the full run of the house, while the parents are asleep upstairs. What about both sets of parents getting locked at the weekend, comatose drunk asleep through the night.........is this acceptable? What if there's an accident, fire, etc - there's nobody there really to do with the situation is there - so the children are more or less unsupervised. I think a lot of peole go by the mentality "sure I'll be lucky it won't happen to me".

Another one that gets to me is people not belting their children up right in cars. I don't know a lot of it comes down to laziness - people just can't be assed to check the seatbelts and the connections to the child seat - sure i'll be grand. I think the same goes for a lot of people running into shops and leaving their children in the car - they just can't be assed with the hassle of getting the kids out of the child seats, if there's more than 1 or a young child, into a buggy or what not and then back in at the end.

I think the only time its acceptable to leave a kid in the car is when you can see it at all times - e.g. running into pay for the petrol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

If you're not going to take the responsibility, then don't have kids, end of.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

I agree that society was more innocent and naieve back then but these people still existed. I grew up in the 70's and we were always warned about the dangers of "strangers".

Why do you think society was more innocent back then? From what I've heard back in the early 20th century people were much more confrontational.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

If you're not going to take the responsibility, then don't have kids, end of.

If only it was only that simple to apply that idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

the seller on adverts should be banned for being so late

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Bet she wouldn't leave her handbag with her wallet phone and keys unattended in it??

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

cbyrd wrote: »
    Bet she wouldn't leave her handbag with her wallet phone and keys unattended in it??

Good point and very true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

I'd leave the child in the boot. Nobody knows its there and I can still shop in peace

As long as you get them used to being in the boot from an early age they don't mind it anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

cbyrd wrote: »

You can readily sell or exchange the above for drugs though - whereas kids don't have the same selling value as drug dealers possibly have too many kids of their own already.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

US Website mentioned in the youtube video -

http://www.kidsandcars.org/heatstroke.html

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Not true. (speaking as a non parent)

I know. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

stovelid wrote: »
    Standard answer: it was the 70s/80s. Pedos and murderers hadn't been invented yet and you could leave your key in the door.
    It was 1997 :p

Advertisement