Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

[Diabetes] General Chat and Support Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I don't actually cover the beery carbs but it's really something you have to just try and see what works for you. Some people would not need to, some would, some beers would effect you differently.

I've not been much help really I guess, but the best advice I have is to make sure that whoever you are out drinking with is a good friend who knows how to help you if you do go hypo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Hey guys.

I'm fairly newly diagnosed (October). I'm Type 1. & take Novarapid & Levemir insulins. What I'm wondering is, do any of you take insulin to cover the carbs in beer, lager etc.?

Any night I'm going out, or having a few in the house, I don't really take any insulin to cover these. Just wondering if I should.

My mmols are still quite high, between 8 -12 at the moment. If I have drink, the readings take 2 days to fallback to these levels again.

one pint of lager is 10g Cho (1 CP). The advice is that you don't need to do anything if you're just having one pint, and if you're drinking more than this you can take 1 unit of QA insulin (your novarapid) for every 2 pints. Remember that alcohol may cause a delayed hypo, so you may need to reduce your next dose of Levemir or have a snack. The best thing you can do is monitor your levels before, during and after drinking until you know what affect it's having.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Hey guys.

I'm fairly newly diagnosed (October). I'm Type 1. & take Novarapid & Levemir insulins. What I'm wondering is, do any of you take insulin to cover the carbs in beer, lager etc.?

Any night I'm going out, or having a few in the house, I don't really take any insulin to cover these. Just wondering if I should.

My mmols are still quite high, between 8 -12 at the moment. If I have drink, the readings take 2 days to fallback to these levels again.

Not worth the risk IMHO. Correct the next day if you have to but never on the night unless your actually sober, but if your drunk, drink a ton of water and try sort it out first thing in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭graflynn

It's Easter and some people without diabetes seem to be on a mission for Diabetic Easter eggs and I'm on a wee bit of a rant but in a calm rational sort of way :-)

http://diabetespeopleire.blogspot.com/2011/04/diabetic-chocolate-personal-pet-peeve.html

Great post - is that your bubba in the pic?

• Advertisement

tbh wrote: »
    Great post - is that your bubba in the pic?

Thanks, I really appreciate the feedback.

And yes that's my youngest who is now 4 and off to "big school" in Sept :-(

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

CramCycle wrote: »
    Not worth the risk IMHO. Correct the next day if you have to but never on the night unless your actually sober, but if your drunk, drink a ton of water and try sort it out first thing in the morning.

+1 on this. I would never bolus for beer on a night out, especially when drunk. It's risky, i'd correct the next morning or if i had sobered up and checked my blood sugars.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭colrow

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-13134292

Another report saying a hi fat diet can reverse kidney damage in mice though,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Urbanrose

My mmols are still quite high, between 8 -12 at the moment.

Oh i remember these days.. now 8 - 12 is extremely good for me :( lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭eilo1

Right guys, just wondering would any of you eat candi floss?!!?!?
    Im so tempted by its sugary, sticky, cloud like fluffyness! But I never let myself eat more than a tiny pick.
    Do any type ones eat it or is it just a no no?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Now I want some candi floss. :)

Not something I've been in a situation to eat in ages, but if I did then I probably would. Although I expect I'd actually find it far too sweet after a couple of mouthfuls and bin it, I would like to try it again despite that.

Not really any reason why you shouldn't have some, just watch the BG levels afterwards and deal with them appropriately. But not sure how to go about guessing how much you should be bolusing for as it's a really random portion size.

I'm actually getting slowly back on track after the baby was born seven weeks ago. Too much of that time has been spent eating on the hoof, and just eating whatever's handy. Even quit smoking (again!!)

Im a 3rd year physiotherapy student and studying for my exams that are starting on Tuesday! :eek:
    Im getting really p****d off reading the same thing in every lecture ie. diabetics are at higher risk, diabetic neuropathies.........
    I even went to the lecture specifically on Diabetes last week and listened to the lecturer go on about type 1's having a shortened life span. :mad:

Sorry for the pointless post but basically diabetes is p***ing me right off today!

During the dafne course, they gave us statistics on how many people get complications based on HB1AC results. Here's the thing - even for the poorest controlled group, the complication rate was still fairly small - it's a small multiple of an already small number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

Does anyone have a good detailed link to a list of foods suitable for diabetics?

Does anyone have a good detailed link to a list of foods suitable for diabetics?

Just your average healthy food Hal. If it's bad for a non-diabetic, it's bad for a diabetic and vice-versa. Google the food pyramid.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

During the dafne course, they gave us statistics on how many people get complications based on HB1AC results. Here's the thing - even for the poorest controlled group, the complication rate was still fairly small - it's a small multiple of an already small number.

Is the Dafne course worth doing TBH? I've been offered a place on one of the courses in either July or October, and I'm in two minds about whether to go or not.

Is the Dafne course worth doing TBH? I've been offered a place on one of the courses in either July or October, and I'm in two minds about whether to go or not.

Deffo Gerry. It's probably nothing you haven't done at some detail already, but if you've been diagnosed a while it's a great refresher, and if you're newly diagnosed it's a great introduction. I must admit, the further away I am from it, the harder it is to stick to the guidelines - do I *really* want to inject 1 unit if I fancy a biscuit? - but I have to say, the results are impressive. If I follow what they told me, my bloods are excellent, it's just sticking to it that's the issue. It's really made me consider the pump - but yeah - I'd recommend it for sure. They'll give you a letter to give to your employer asking for the five days off if that's an issue.

I seem to remember them telling me before that injections of 1 unit were pretty inaccurate as to be relatively pointless before. That's the great thing about the pump though as I can do anything down to 0.05 of a unit on mine.

I'm still a long way off being an expert on it or having got it all working properly, but if you get given the option of getting a pump then definitely go for it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Just got my latest HbA1c of 5.0, higher than I thought it would be but still OK - in the home stretch for the pregnancy now though I will never stop worrying about her (or our son).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

eilo1 wrote: »
    Im a 3rd year physiotherapy student and studying for my exams that are starting on Tuesday! :eek:
    Im getting really p****d off reading the same thing in every lecture ie. diabetics are at higher risk, diabetic neuropathies.........
    I even went to the lecture specifically on Diabetes last week and listened to the lecturer go on about type 1's having a shortened life span. :mad:

Sorry for the pointless post but basically diabetes is p***ing me right off today!

I remember the same thing doing Biochemistry, there is nothing like a class of 25 turning around to take a gawp at you, knowing your not the best Diabetic in the world, every time the lecturer says diabetics more likely to have ED :o

Ironically, if you look at alot of the data, in the case of type 1s, it's usually only a minorly earlier starting point of many of the problems if you control is good eg ED at 70 instead of 72, coronary disease at 70 instead of 75 etc.* or there are not enough patients to make a reasonable assertion. Worst of all the cases reported on our usually the worst of the worst to make it seem more interesting. Or the data is a couple of years old and in no way takes into account the improvement in lifestyle and medication has had on our lives.

*(numbers made up to illustrate a point, do not quote me)

CathyMoran wrote: »
    Just got my latest HbA1c of 5.0, higher than I thought it would be but still OK - in the home stretch for the pregnancy now though I will never stop worrying about her (or our son).

I hear ya! The sense of relief when that cord is snipped is huge! Keep trucking, this is your second so you know how it will be worth it:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

Just your average healthy food Hal. If it's bad for a non-diabetic, it's bad for a diabetic and vice-versa. Google the food pyramid.
    My mam is newly diagnosed (type 2) so I've just started to look into this. God, there's alot into it.

She's seeing a dietician next week so that'll be handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

For the past 2 months or so I was getting my best readings since I was diagnosed almost 2 years ago, I am type 1.5(neither 1 nor 2). Around easter weekend I ran out of Diamicron of which I take 4 a day so I was without these for 3 days although I still had my Glucophage and Onglazy. Since then my blood has been sky high, 18.4 last night after a medium bowl of pasta with blue cheese sauce and a cappucinno and a shortbread finger as a treat at work later on. I am really high every morning and all through the day and not feeling great with very little energy. Is this a normal thing that your blook can go up and down for no major reason? I have also been a bit stressed lately with family life, college and a full time job, could this play a part in it?

Well now folks, You may remember I was moaning and groaning last week about diabetes getting me down.

Well today I would like to say a big thank you to my diabetes! I had a neuro practical today and my patient had MS and Diabetes. One of the questions was "your patient feels tired and confused following your treatment, what might be the cause?"

Ha I was delighted! I even asked which type of diabetes my patient had. lol!

That sounds like you were cheating with insider information, ;):D

Oh I was so smug! lol

Now if I could just get a diabetes question in clinical exercise Id be really happy :D

For the past 2 months or so I was getting my best readings since I was diagnosed almost 2 years ago, I am type 1.5(neither 1 nor 2). Around easter weekend I ran out of Diamicron of which I take 4 a day so I was without these for 3 days although I still had my Glucophage and Onglazy. Since then my blood has been sky high, 18.4 last night after a medium bowl of pasta with blue cheese sauce and a cappucinno and a shortbread finger as a treat at work later on. I am really high every morning and all through the day and not feeling great with very little energy. Is this a normal thing that your blook can go up and down for no major reason? I have also been a bit stressed lately with family life, college and a full time job, could this play a part in it?

You should talk to your care team if you're worried but my experience is that yeah, your bloods can occasionally go a bit mental. Also, when my bloods are high, it can sometimes take a couple of days to get them right again. It's more like driving an oil tanker than driving a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Mine have gone mental the last 2 weeks, from an average of around 8-12mmols to around 16mmols each time I do a reading. I have changed background insulin around 4 weeks ago, so this could be the reason behind it. Dos anybody here find weather to be a factor for changeable readings at all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Straylight

My mam is newly diagnosed (type 2) so I've just started to look into this. God, there's alot into it.

She's seeing a dietician next week so that'll be handy.

Try to get her onto a Desmond course. I did it in Blanch Hospital last year and it was really helpful, even for simple stuff like how to check your bloods.

Advertisement