Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are the Dissident Republican Parties really Cults??

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

nesf wrote: »
    He didn't make that case at all, he said dissident republicanism rather than mainstream republicanism was a cult. Not sure if I agree but there's a world of difference between the two positions (i.e. being involved in an orginisation that supports terrorism or being involved in one that supports the democratic process).
    I always laugh at that, dissenting from what? If anything SF have dissented from traditional mainstream physical force republicanism.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

caseyann wrote: »
    Not to you maybe not to them it is,just as it is to British and American soldiers etc.... when they head into other peoples countries to fight the so called war on terror.And dont tell me they dont do covert operations taking out people.
    Same auld same auld line.

what has that got to do with a northern irish person working in the northern irish police service?! They're local, protecting the peace. that does not make them a legitimate target, ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

In my opinion republicanism in this country whether it be dissident or otherwise is more of a type of Tradition that has and does be passed down from some generation to generation and now way is it a cult,

zuroph wrote: »
    what has that got to do with a northern irish person working in the northern irish police service?! They're local, protecting the peace. that does not make them a legitimate target, ever.
    I think Casey is saying that he knew the risks when he signed up, ie might get hurt/killed during the course of duty and the reality in the north is that yes, PSNI people will get attacked and killed.

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    I think Casey is saying that he knew the risks when he signed up, ie might get hurt/killed during the course of duty and the reality in the north is that yes, PSNI people will get attacked and killed.

doesnt make the excuse any more rational. murder is murder.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Unfortunately .

doesnt make the excuse any more rational. murder is murder.

Is that by anyone or just when republican dissidents do it.

and as long as people accept others suddenly thinking its justified, then nothing will change. Kids are being born into this programming now. It IS brainwashing.

realies wrote: »
    Is that by anyone or just when republican dissidents do it.

when anyone does it. what part of murder is murder did you miss?

when anyone does it. what part of murder is murder did you miss?

Didn't miss any of it,

• Advertisement

and as long as people accept others suddenly thinking its justified, then nothing will change. Kids are being born into this programming now. It IS brainwashing.
    I think you are having trouble accepting that people can look at this situation and come to different conclusions than you have so you call them brainwashed.

It isnt brainwashing, no more than me being a SF supporter is, or someone else being a Fine Gael supporter.

I think it is foolish to simply bury your head in the sand and call those who come to different conclusions brainwashed.

You need to accept that some people can and do come to these conclusions by themselves. Sobering.

I think you are having trouble accepting that people can look at this situation and come to different conclusions than you have so you call them brainwashed.

It isnt brainwashing, no more than me being a SF supporter is, or someone else being a Fine Gael supporter.

I think it is foolish to simply bury your head in the sand and call those who come to different conclusions brainwashed.

You need to accept that some people can and do come to these conclusions by themselves. Sobering.

But this person hasnt, they've joined a group and over time become more radical in their thought process.
    There is children who are being taught this point of view from an early age, as fact, as the only way to think. they never have a choice to think otherwise.

I accept that some people are just murderers all by themselves. but a lot of these people are indoctrinated and led towards these murderous thoughts. Why else the use of propaganda. Of lures of money and drugs.

Lures of money or drugs, where you getting that from ? The only lure in joining Dissident republicans is in there mind a country united, in more probability Prison or death.

But this person hasnt, they've joined a group and over time become more radical in their thought process.
    There is children who are being taught this point of view from an early age, as fact, as the only way to think. they never have a choice to think otherwise.
    "My family have always voted FF" Nothing unique here, kids often have the same views as their folks(I dont, but the brother does)

I accept that some people are just murderers all by themselves. but a lot of these people are indoctrinated and led towards these murderous thoughts. Why else the use of propaganda. Of lures of money and drugs.
    What? You are talking about the military groups now rather than the political wings?

This lad has probably joined either the 32CSM or I have a feeling it is probably éirigi(they oppose armed campaign). No lure of money or drugs there.

Are you a member of a political party? Why did you join?

So the lad has become politically aware, would you say the same if this thread was about some lad who joined FG?

"My family have always voted FF" Nothing unique here, kids often have the same views as their folks(I dont, but the brother does)

What? You are talking about the military groups now rather than the political wings?

This lad has probably joined either the 32CSM or I have a feeling it is probably éirigi(they oppose armed campaign). No lure of money or drugs there.

Are you a member of a political party? Why did you join?

So the lad has become politically aware, would you say the same if this thread was about some lad who joined FG?

there is a clear difference between a political allegiance, and believing the murder of a police officer is justified or socially acceptable. its Worlds apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

The thread's about a guy who joined an anti-GFA political party. This thread wouldn't be here if he actually joined a militant group.

The same things you mention here could be said of people who become vegetarians or feminists.
    I accept that some people are just murderers all by themselves. but a lot of these people are indoctrinated and led towards these murderous thoughts. Why else the use of propaganda. Of lures of money and drugs

I think humans find it a lot easier to kill than you think. What you're saying here could be applied to the IRish defence forces or the British army*. Though I doubt you'd describe them as indoctrinated murderers

*No I am not suggesting they are terrorist groups or anything like that, just killing is required in both cases

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

there is a clear difference between a political allegiance, and believing the murder of a police officer is justified or socially acceptable. its Worlds apart.

So for argument's sake then you could label Dan Breen, Sean Treacy, Michael Collins and Gerry Adams as brainwashed cultists?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Bat Fasterd

Its brainwashing, but not a cult.

Its neither.

Where is the brainwashing? Is starting smoking brainwashing?

I don't think so but you may see it another way.

People taking the wrong route in life at most IMO. A lot are going to join the rat race, some will head off to the fringe to be artists or something and some will end up doing stuff they shouldn't really have done, robbing banks, dropping bombs in foreign countries or possibly joing organisations they shouldn't really have.

Bit like Heavy meatlers tbh. \0/

Advertisement