Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any brands you don't buy on principle?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

i dont buy anything that has a 'by appointment to lizzie, makers of cakes' stamp on it

huh? whats this mean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Apple are over-priced products that are more style than substance which are limited in features and they dictate what's "cool". €60 for a keyboard for an iPad?..........doesn't that just turn it into a stripped-down, under-powered & over-priced desktop?

Then there's the fact that they spend so much time and money advertising a product only to announce an "updated" version of said product within a few months which is basically just a slimmer version of what you have with minor bells and whistles.

i was just going to reply with basically the same response. am...no flash? no usb port? am, no thanks :confused:

but here's a funny comic on the issue :D

but yeah never realised so many people had so many issues. maybe i should inform myself better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭petroltimer

mackeire wrote: »
    reebok runners. Just because they have the union jack on them. Oh and they're horrible runners aswel

i take a size 12 runner and nike and Adidas runners are to small, the reebok 12 is the only one that fits right and mine don't have a union jack on them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

Apple are over-priced products that are more style than substance which are limited in features and they dictate what's "cool". €60 for a keyboard for an iPad?..........doesn't that just turn it into a stripped-down, under-powered & over-priced laptop?

Then there's the fact that they spend so much time and money advertising a product only to announce an "updated" version of said product within a few months which is basically just a slimmer version of what you have with minor bells and whistles.

You mean in a similar way to the XBOX 360 being announced shortly after the XBOX launch? or the PS3 being announced just after the PS2 launch and likewise the PS4 being announced just aster the PS3 was released? All companies do it. Its more noticeable in Apple's case due to the limited product range. Sony release on average 5 new phones each year. Nokia similar figures each one a slightly more powerful, slimmer, lighter version than before. But it looks different so you don't pay attention to it but ultimately its the same thing.

As for over priced please. Look around without the hating apple goggles on. My iriver mp3 player 5 years ago cost €230. The equivalent ipod cost in and around the same with the cowan i audio a cool 50 dearer and the creative 10 cheaper. How is apple over priced there?

The keyboard issue why not buy a 3rd party one? I use a keyboard in work from microsoft that cost €80! I could easily go out and buy one that costs €10 but I didn't because I prefer this one. It's about choice!

I always find the undpowered limited argument of apple products hilarious. Don't get me wrong, I'm no apple fan. The only product I've ever owned form them is an iphone and at that I got it for free so in no way over priced! People bash them because it makes them think they are cool going against the grain. In what way is an iphone limited to say a sony or samsun equivalent? how is an ipad limited to say the HP tab? Apple products serve a specific purpose and they do it extremely well and better than most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

mackeire wrote: »
    reebok runners. Just because they have the union jack on them.

Buy a pair of Reebok Classics and paint a little triiclour over the Union Jack.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Feckfox

iregk wrote: »
    You mean in a similar way to the XBOX 360 being announced shortly after the XBOX launch? or the PS3 being announced just after the PS2 launch and likewise the PS4 being announced just aster the PS3 was released? All companies do it. Its more noticeable in Apple's case due to the limited product range. Sony release on average 5 new phones each year. Nokia similar figures each one a slightly more powerful, slimmer, lighter version than before. But it looks different so you don't pay attention to it but ultimately its the same thing.

As for over priced please. Look around without the hating apple goggles on. My iriver mp3 player 5 years ago cost €230. The equivalent ipod cost in and around the same with the cowan i audio a cool 50 dearer and the creative 10 cheaper. How is apple over priced there?

The keyboard issue why not buy a 3rd party one? I use a keyboard in work from microsoft that cost €80! I could easily go out and buy one that costs €10 but I didn't because I prefer this one. It's about choice!

I always find the undpowered limited argument of apple products hilarious. Don't get me wrong, I'm no apple fan. The only product I've ever owned form them is an iphone and at that I got it for free so in no way over priced! People bash them because it makes them think they are cool going against the grain. In what way is an iphone limited to say a sony or samsun equivalent? how is an ipad limited to say the HP tab? Apple products serve a specific purpose and they do it extremely well and better than most.

It's been nearly 5 years since the PS3 was released. Same with the Xbox.

Sounds like you are an Apple fan btw ;)

No not a fan I just find it hilarious that people jump down the throat of them with the most feeble of grounding and then can't back it up when you challenge it other than "oh your a fan". Very much the George W "if you're not with us your a terrorist" argument.

And on the PS3 your right it has been 5 years but the PS4 has been pushed back year due to the financial sh!t storm sony found themselves in. Didn't stop them from announcing it straight away. Apple have brought out 1 phone every year so why give them crap for that ignoring sony and nokia for their 2 monthly releases?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

i take a size 12 runner and nike and Adidas runners are to small, the reebok 12 is the only one that fits right and mine don't have a union jack on them
    Yes its the reebok classic that have the union jack on them. If the nike or adidas size 12 dont fit you, why dont you just get a bigger size in them?

No not a fan I just find it hilarious that people jump down the throat of them with the most feeble of grounding and then can't back it up when you challenge it other than "oh your a fan". Very much the George W "if you're not with us your a terrorist" argument.

And on the PS3 your right it has been 5 years but the PS4 has been pushed back year due to the financial sh!t storm sony found themselves in. Didn't stop them from announcing it straight away. Apple have brought out 1 phone every year so why give them crap for that ignoring sony and nokia for their 2 monthly releases?

lol

Sony- crap returns process and DRM tech
    Apple- DRM and other dodgy biz practices
    Starbucks- way they swarm an area and make locals close
    Indo or Sunday Indo- for obvious right wing trash
    Any of the red top papers- full of lies
    Anything from Israel- for obvious reasons
    Dental items with fluoride- too much in our water already
    Anything owned by Rupert Murdoch- he has too much media power
    Tommy Hilfiger, Abercrombie, Nike, Ben Sherman, Kickers- so I dont look like a twat or knack
    Any fizzy drinks- dont want diabetes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

You mean in a similar way to the XBOX 360 being announced shortly after the XBOX launch? or the PS3 being announced just after the PS2 launch and likewise the PS4 being announced just aster the PS3 was released? All companies do it. Its more noticeable in Apple's case due to the limited product range.

Those consoles came out years apart from each other, doesn't apply here.

With the price flash HDDs and MP3 players from other companies have dropped throughout the years how come iPods are still so expensive? (granted, they're not the only culprits over-charging in the MP3 market)

I'm a technician and I deal with Microsoft and Apple products everyday so I assure you I know what I'm talking about and I can tell you when a company is ripping it's consumers off with it's ludricious prices, hardware and software. Their business practises are also very questionable.

Just because an iPad or an iPhone has shiny features and is advertised like God's gift does not make them the better piece of hardware. Plus the iPad is aimed at your average consumer whereas the HP tab is aimed at businesses, touchscreen/laptop hybrid products existed well before Apple made it pedestrian-friendly.

If anyone sounds like they have an ill-informed argument, it's you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,427 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

The people boasting about their Israeli boycott are probably doing it on computers with Intel products ;)

And driving Audi/Merc/BMWs/Volkwagon :rolleyes:

Sc@recrow wrote: »
    And driving Audi/Merc/BMWs/Volkwagon :rolleyes:

whys that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Because people forget that fruit and veg is a product that needs various components to produce the crop such as fertilisers and Israel is a leading producer of fertilisers that are used in the production of fruit and vegetables in Ireland and Europe especially soft fruits and toms. Incidentally the same fertilisers are a base component for gun powder so the same factories supply the Israel arms industry so you are subsidising a vital component of the Israel arms industry when you buy Irish non-organic produce.

I've always bought fruit and veg from local producers rather than supermarkets and such which may have items mis-labeled. And i've always asked if any israeli products were used in producing them. Of course in my life i may have contributed towards something they had a hand in making. But in this day and age there are so many monopolies on certain products that it's difficult to maintain a 100% true boycott of something. People might say why bother when you are still giving to them. But i'd rather give them the least amount due to circumstances that i can't help than a larger amount in circumstances that i could have prevented.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

Einhard wrote: »
    How can you be sure? Israel produces a huge amount of high tech components for the IT industry. Your ability to post that message probably relies on some Israeli made compnents in your computer.

Also, in terms of the Nestle boycott, did tyhe company force these African mothers to buy their product? Surely people can't be so outraged over the fact thay they advertised their wares?

They advertised in such a way as to suggest that if you didn't use their products you were causing your children harm - they made women who were undeducated feel as though breast milk was inferior to their product. It is without doubt cynical and morally wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

optogirl wrote: »
    They advertised in such a way as to suggest that if you didn't use their products you were causing your children harm - they made women who were undeducated feel as though breast milk was inferior to their product. It is without doubt cynical and morally wrong

can i get a link to something about this, like advertising campaigns?

Apple are over-priced products that are more style than substance which are limited in features and they dictate what's "cool". €60 for a keyboard for an iPad?..........doesn't that just turn it into a stripped-down, under-powered & over-priced desktop?

A desktop you can carry around in your hand..no other competitor has come out with a tablet that comes even close to the ipad...
    I had the first version and am waiting to buy a proper specced android tablet...and still bloody waiting :rolleyes:
    As for over-priced...the Samsung CEO admitted that they planned to charge more for their 10" galaxy tab but had to price it down due to the price of the Ipad 2..they didn't expect Apple to come in cheaper for the newer version.
    Plus look at the price of the motorola xoom :rolleyes:

Apple operate on a yearly cycle...same as every other manufacturer...but at least with Apple you know that if you buy your Ipad 2 now..you won't see a new one until March next year..same goes for iphone/ipod etc
    Dell/HP/Asus all release newer versions of their products 9-12 months later so why hammer Apple for it?

If you're going to hammer Apple hammer them for their closed off environment that forces you to jailbreak your device to use it how you want to...don't hammer them for some bull**** reason you heard from your nerdy apple-hating mates

PS...for all Apple lovers and hates out there..read scoopertino...priceless písstakes of Apple

http://scoopertino.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭petroltimer

Anything from Israel- for obvious reasons
    Dental items with fluoride- too much in our water already
    Anything owned by Rupert Murdoch- he has too much media power
    Tommy Hilfiger, Abercrombie, Nike, Ben Sherman, Kickers- so I dont look like a twat or knack

i can understand you on all except Israel, they are not Taiwan they make some great stuff top quality i always found

Anything from Israel- for obvious reasons (never gave it any thought)
    Dental items with fluoride- too much in our water already, (never gave it any thought)
    Anything owned by Rupert Murdoch- he has too much media power, (couldn't live without sky, I dont buy the S*n or any of his other publications though)

Apart from the crossed out pieces that a list of some of my favourite products :D

A desktop you can carry around in your hand..no other competitor has come out with a tablet that comes even close to the ipad...
    Ahem : http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_S5dFdpF6xm0/TH_wJDxhM-I/AAAAAAAABUM/VZRIac0otuY/s1600/ipad_vs_hp_tc_1100.jpg
    Only reason there is a market for tablets now is that Apple could sell Steve Jobs poo to some of the fanboys out there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Blisterman

can i get a link to something about this, like advertising campaigns?

I'd like to see these too. I've heard these claims hundreds of times, but have yet to actually see these supposed campaigns.

You're a technician? Well I can't argue with your superior level of knowledge which you have clearly demonstrated. I will though for the sake of keeping discussion alive throw in this little bit.

Those consoles came out years apart from each other, doesn't apply here.

Of course it applies here. The principal of the argument remains regardless of time passed.
    Duggy747 wrote:
    With the price flash HDDs and MP3 players from other companies have dropped throughout the years how come iPods are still so expensive? (granted, they're not the only culprits over-charging in the MP3 market)

Well its called technological progress. Ipods are still expensive but then again they aren't made out of a small screen with a jog wheel anymore are they? No they are now a big touch screen and such. The price stays high as the product evolves. For example a 32gb Creative Zen touch screen is only €10 cheaper than the ipod version.

Also being a technician I'm sure you're well aware that the price of flash memory has risen 250% in the past 18 months.
    Duggy747 wrote:
    I'm a technician and I deal with Microsoft and Apple products everyday so I assure you I know what I'm talking about and I can tell you when a company is ripping it's consumers off with it's ludricious prices, hardware and software. Their business practises are also very questionable.

Of course Microsoft could never be accused of questionable business practices could they?
    Duggy747 wrote:
    Just because an iPad or an iPhone has shiny features and is advertised like God's gift does not make them the better piece of hardware. Plus the iPad is aimed at your average consumer whereas the HP tab is aimed at businesses, touchscreen/laptop hybrid products existed well before Apple made it pedestrian-friendly.

If anyone sounds like they have an ill-informed argument, it's you.

Nobody ever claimed any apple product was better hardware than its competitors. It was simply stated that they are designed for a purpose and at that they do it extremely well, better than most. You don't just pay for hardware for example you also pay for presentation, look and feel as with everything in this world. Yes that lovely aluminum backing on a iphone costs more than the plastic on the back of a nokia. With an apple product you're buying that whole package not just the internal hardware but again being a technician I'm sure you take and indeed took all of that into account.

But what do I know I just an ill informed fan boi who. You on the other hand have beaten me down with figures that backup all your arguments. Oh wait that was me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

I refuse to buy Hilfiger clothes ever since I had the misfortune to see an episode of the MTV series Rich Girls from a number of years back.

I couldn't stand the thought of my hard earned money going to support such an obnoxious brat as his daughter.

If you're going to hammer Apple hammer them for their closed off environment that forces you to jailbreak your device to use it how you want to...don't hammer them for some bull**** reason you heard from your nerdy apple-hating mates

What is it with Apple people who can't take other's dislike to the company without resorting to something like "heard from others"? I don't follow bandwagons or take a dislike to something unless I know and understand why.

I already stated I deal with Apple products and I'm fully aware of their software and business practises (in relation to jailbreaking, cutting ties with software developers, third party companies, etc)

I'm not defending HP or Motorola following up on this everyday consumer-tablet market, they're bad in their own way but please don't belittle my opinion as "hater-talk". I have my reasons for disliking Apple and I don't need to follow a bandwagon to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

regarding brands, i wont touch the indo or sindo and always try buy irish products and avoid brands that claim to be irish 'produced in ireland' nonsense which basically seems to mean packed in ireland.

asides from that, wild horses wouldnt drag me into Tesco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

I've always bought fruit and veg from local producers rather than supermarkets and such which may have items mis-labeled. And i've always asked if any israeli products were used in producing them. Of course in my life i may have contributed towards something they had a hand in making. But in this day and age there are so many monopolies on certain products that it's difficult to maintain a 100% true boycott of something. People might say why bother when you are still giving to them. But i'd rather give them the least amount due to circumstances that i can't help than a larger amount in circumstances that i could have prevented.

Well most of the local producers were I live, supply the supermarkets too and if you asked them that question they would just look at you. They also supply green grocer shops around the city and country either direct or through the corperation market and quiet frankly the only thing the farmers customers care about is price so they can make a decent markup when you the consumer buy it. So i don't really know were they are getting the information from as they don't visit the local producers either. Could it be the old irish Bull****e answer just to sell something?

At least the large retailers can be lobbied to impose restrictions on its suppliers such as how some of the large clothes retailers boycott Uzbeck cotton after NGOs campaigned.

You're a technician? Well I can't argue with your superior level of knowledge which you have clearly demonstrated. I will though for the sake of keeping discussion alive throw in this little bit.

I can already see where your "argument" is going. An already smartass start....
    Of course it applies here. The principal of the argument remains regardless of time passed.

Annoucing and releasing a product within one year of it's predecessor isn't the same as a console's 4-5 year release span.
    Well its called technological progress. Ipods are still expensive but then again they aren't made out of a small screen with a jog wheel anymore are they? No they are now a big touch screen and such. The price stays high as the product evolves. For example a 32gb Creative Zen touch screen is only €10 cheaper than the ipod version.

Technological progress means newer hardware, not keeping the same hardware for years at a high price. I wasn't referring to the latest MP3 / MP4 players.
    Also being a technician I'm sure you're well aware that the price of flash memory has risen 250% in the past 18 months.

Where did you pull that bullshìt "fact" from?
    Of course Microsoft could never be accused of questionable business practices could they?

Never said they couldn't.
    Nobody ever claimed any apple product was better hardware than its competitors. It was simply stated that they are designed for a purpose and at that they do it extremely well, better than most. You don't just pay for hardware for example you also pay for presentation, look and feel as with everything in this world. Yes that lovely aluminum backing on a iphone costs more than the plastic on the back of a nokia. With an apple product you're buying that whole package not just the internal hardware but again being a technician I'm sure you take and indeed took all of that into account.

You want style over substance, go for it. It's your money since you seem to sound like you have more of it than sense.
    But what do I know I just an ill informed fan boi who. You on the other hand have beaten me down with figures that backup all your arguments. Oh wait that was me!

I never gave figures in my argument whereas you gave me nothing but bullshìt "facts" and smartass retorts, especially how you just finished your post there.

Get down off your high horse, you're embarrasing yourself.

What is it with Apple people who can't take other's dislike to the company without resorting to something like "heard from others"? I don't follow bandwagons or take a dislike to something unless I know and understand why.

I already stated I deal with Apple products and I'm fully aware of their software and business practises (in relation to jailbreaking, cutting ties with software developers, third party companies, etc)

I'm not defending HP or Motorola following up on this everyday consumer-tablet market, they're bad in their own way but please don't belittle my opinion as "hater-talk". I have my reasons for disliking Apple and I don't need to follow a bandwagon to do so.

Acutally I'm not an Apple person...I'll buy the best product which I can afford regardless of who makes it...
    The reasons you called out are the basic bog standard ones any apple hater uses to besmirch Apple...little realizing Apple are in fact following standard business process.

Acutally I'm not an Apple person...I'll buy the best product which I can afford regardless of who makes it...
    The reasons you called out are the basic bog standard ones any apple hater uses to besmirch Apple...little realizing Apple are in fact following standard business process.

Granted, it is the bog standard excuse people use but it's the same excuse that's applied to other companies. I'm not saying Apple are the pinnacle of evil or worse than the likes of HP / Dell / Sony / etc nor did I say I'd never buy their products. I doubt I will, to be honest, but that's down moreso to their prices, software, limitations, image, hardware, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Apple are awesome. Thier products are accessible and user friendly, reasonably priced, and stylish.

If they are so awful why the clamour by competitors to ape thier styling sa dn interfaces?

People who hate Apple do so because they heard some open source junkie rabbit on about the evil that is Steve Jobs. Fair enough, it's some tech minded person who can do better themselves. The majority of apple haters are know nothings who are regurgitating half accurate (in reality wholly inaccurate) fact-lite gibberish to appear counter cultural and thus cool.

Apple is a fantastic brand and their products are rock solid. this is coming from a user who has washed his ishuffle (gen 3) three times and it worked. I killed it on the fourth wash because I did not try to dry it out! I have a 64gb Ipod touchscreen that is the best bit of tech kit I have ever owned.

I listened to tech gob****es talk guff about Apple before. They were raving about the Iriver 64gb mp3 player. I can say it is singularly the worst thing I have ever owned. Wretched build quality, impenetrable user interface, shonky software that crashed more times than a teenage car thief. I listened to so called techies before. Never again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement