Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

[Article]Motorists face new charges as number of toll roads to double

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

ALL easily avoidable Tolls.

Pillows for those dreams folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Hogzy wrote: »
    Given the amount of public anger this will create I am positive they would be taken to the ECJ for not complying with the terms of the funding. If they collect a toll for the purpose of rebuilding Dunkettle then the Commission will ensure the collected money is used for that purpose.
    Otherwise its a breach of EU law simple as.

Yes, and I'm sure it would take years to go through the ECJ! As for building a new junction, I'm not sure the EC would have any jurisdiction/interest in this. [not disagreeing with you BTW! I think a toll would be ridiculous]. Note that some months ago there were cameras set up over the entrance to the tunnel, one for each lane. Perhaps they were testing out the camera toll tech already?!

Personally, being in Cobh, I'd take the ferry. And, yes, Mahon cinema would lose my business too! (off to Midleton with me!).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Berty wrote: »
    ALL easily avoidable Tolls.

Pillows for those dreams folks.

The Jack Lynch Tunnel is easily avoidable ?

Cork City centre on a Friday evening is going to be fun.

Yes, and I'm sure it would take years to go through the ECJ! As for building a new junction, I'm not sure the EC would have any jurisdiction/interest in this. [not disagreeing with you BTW! I think a toll would be ridiculous]. Note that some months ago there were cameras set up over the entrance to the tunnel, one for each lane. Perhaps they were testing out the camera toll tech already?!

Personally, being in Cobh, I'd take the ferry. And, yes, Mahon cinema would lose my business too! (off to Midleton with me!).

The owners of Mahon Point, the new Hospital in Mahon point and just about every business in Cork will have a fit.

It's not impossible to avoid it though. The Jack Lynch is probably the exception to that list though, you're right.

Ennis bypass has so many exits and parallel roads its easy. Croom is a joke. Feckin roads everywhere. Tuam will only force people onto the Ballinrobe / Athenry - Dunmore roads.

I don't pay my Tolls. My company does, however, I do not drive like that. I don't say "feck it, somebody else is paying". I work on "principles" and if they put Tolls on roads that were paid for during the strategic infrastructure plans then how can we ever trust the government again?

You paid once through taxes, twice during the bank bailouts and you're going to have to pay again because we need more money(to pay the banks). :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

The Government's Smarter Travel policy wants an extra 500,000 people to use public transport, walk or cycle to work by 2020, to help reduce car commuting.
    What public transport?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I havent driven my car in over 2 weeks, I have to use it this weekend and that will be the only time I will use it this month.

I have to use it to get to work.(before anybody goes off about public transport i used public transport for 2 years and couldnt take it anymore.effectively putting in 13 hour days before i even take my coat off).Already paying 4 euro a day for motorway......i dont see why the government want to force more people to stop driving.its just not practical(even living in the city) to take public transport.If i have to go back to buses(3 each way) then its my child that suffers most by not seeing her parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

You gotta weigh up the costs, two hours on the motorway and the two mile queue through Mahon Point access to it and we can come to some understanding that driving through the city is actually better already.

A point though that half the city is designed to flood traffic to Mahon Point to flush it on the MW, so some fun would be expected but no more than the four hours that can already be experienced, IMO.

bluewolf wrote: »
    What public transport?

I have two bus's from my town to Limerick City. 8:10am and 14:15pm. That's it. Far too many bus's to be fair. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Berty wrote: »
    I have two bus's from my town to Limerick City. 8:10am and 14:15pm. That's it. Far too many bus's to be fair. :rolleyes:

Which is part of the problem: low denisity rural dwellings. Proper spatial strategy and the enforcement of it would go a long way. 40% of the population is now living in one-offs in the country. Can't provide public transport to a lot of them.. just not worth it.

Re tolls. Bottom line is the country is broke. We need money from anywhere we can get it. The social welfare and public sector pay bills alone are significantly larger than our total tax take.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

gbee wrote: »
    You gotta weigh up the costs, two hours on the motorway and the two mile queue through Mahon Point access to it and we can come to some understanding that driving through the city is actually better already.

A point though that half the city is designed to flood traffic to Mahon Point to flush it on the MW, so some fun would be expected but no more than the four hours that can already be experienced, IMO.

Can you reword that. I cant make any sense of your post!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

this is a minor point but something that came into my head. for the likes of mahon cinema. usually i would go there instead of douglas cinema which is closer as it has a better selection and is nicer all round. but if it means i have to pay a toll to go there then im gonna pick douglas everytime.thats just one example of a store missing out
    Thats not the point he is making. Mahon point get a hell of a lot of business from the 'North Side' of Cork that come via the tunnel. Most of that business will be lost if the punters have to pay a toll going and coming back. It could nearly double the price of a cinema trip. Therefore they will loose business and jobs will most certainly be lost. Especially in the Cinema.

How could you not understand that from the outset?:rolleyes:

I dont understand these posts
    IF you have to use the tunnel to get to Mahon Cinema.
    How do you get to Douglas Cinema??
    You have to pass Mahon to get to Douglas :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

n97 mini wrote: »
    40% of the population is now living in one-offs in the country.

Really? That seems an awfully high figure.

Can you reword that. I cant make any sense of your post!

Either can I.

vectra wrote: »

There's talks of tolling the SRR as well.

There's talks of tolling the SRR as well.

Wont that make it more difficult to get to Douglas then?

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭alpahaeagle

Re tolls. Bottom line is the country is broke. We need money from anywhere we can get it. The social welfare and public sector pay bills alone are significantly larger than our total tax take.

The Issue with that is we are paying TAX, PRSI, CAR TAX, Tax on petrol. Why should we be hit with another charge when we have no Public Transport.
    I live in Laois and work in Sandyford. I would have to walk/cycle the 3 miles to the train station. catch train. catch luas to abbey street, walk/bus to Stephen's green and luas to Sandyford. This would take me @ 2 to 3 hours each way. When I can drive and be there in @ 1 hour.
    I know the country is broke, I have been let go twice from companies closing down. So we do we the struggling people have to pay extra tolls when the fat cats get them paid for by the company.
    You saw the report taht most people have @ €70 euros left per month to spend....what on now tolls ????
    One more question have you tried leaving on the social welfare, Not nice.:mad:

There are other Cinemas apart from Douglas. There is Middleton, Blackpool and the Gate. I dont know why the other poster suggested Douglas as an alternative to North Siders if the tunnel is tolled. But i am referring to the above as the alternatives to mahon.

TBH i think this whole thread is pointless. The SRR and Tunnel will not be tolled i can guarantee it. Because people will try and avoid the tolls therefore absolute mayhem will be created on other roads which in turn will probably cost the government more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Which is part of the problem: low denisity rural dwellings. Proper spatial strategy and the enforcement of it would go a long way. 40% of the population is now living in one-offs in the country. Can't provide public transport to a lot of them.. just not worth it.
    Forget one off dwellings, even if you are living bang in the middle of a town that should be well serviced due to the national spatial strategy and national primary routes you'll have a bus service that has nether the frequency nor operating hours to make it a reasonable alternative.

Wont that make it more difficult to get to Douglas then?

Oh. I thought the person was from Douglas.

• Advertisement

Oh. I thought the person was from Douglas.

Even so,
    If the poster was from Douglas....Mahon is only 2 minutes down the road and still not have to use the J.L. Tunnel

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

40% of the population is now living in one-offs in the country.

This figure is very very suspect, Ireland is more urbanised than ever.

Source?

Ireland has always had a dispersed population, it is not becoming more dispersed.
    Forget one off dwellings, even if you are living bang in the middle of a town that should be well serviced due to the national spatial strategy and national primary routes you'll have a bus service that has nether the frequency nor operating hours to make it a reasonable alternative.

Exactly. If you live in a housing estate in Dundalk (say) there will be no public transport to reach the railway station and the town is big enough that it is too far to walk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭billyboy01

Ah come on people, if you can afford a car! You can afford to pay a few extra little tolls! The Irish FreeState needs the toll revenue to run the County Councils! We are so lucky to live in a country thats provides a standard of living that allows poeple to own a private car!:)

billyboy01 wrote: »
    Ah come on people, if you can afford a car! You can afford to pay a few extra little tolls! The Irish FreeState needs the toll revenue to run the County Councils! We are so lucky to live in a country thats provides a standard of living that allows poeple to own a private car!:)

1937 has come and passed my friend

1937 has come and passed my friend

Not for me, my national indebted friend!;)

Not for me, my national indebted friend!;)

Do share your time travel methods. Perhaps i could go back, do the lotto and return minted?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭maxextz

they admitted a couple of weeks ago that they have been over charging on the drogheda toll are we getting our money refunded?

what are we paying road tax for.greedy bastards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

I do wish there are such things as sarcasm tags.

Pay the tolls or dont use the roads, Simple! If you dont like it grin and bare it for the nation once again!:) In debt!

The EU, UK, IMF and bond holders have to get there money back!

Most Paddy's were not thinking about that, when they were swanning around in over price German cars!

Now its pay back time, Tolls, Higher Motortax, Fuel increases! just to name a few, and a lot more to come!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

maxextz wrote: »

what are we paying road tax for.

Your not.But sure dont bother reading the thread or anything.

Advertisement