Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Show us yer tank! (DO NOT QUOTE PHOTOS)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I now have these guys as well:

img0413qz.jpg

Two orandas waving for the camera.

And this guy:

bettam.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 solutionseeker

We've just got our first small tank. We have a 'survivor' goldfish in a bowl (not my idea) and he's about the recued into a new bigger, filtered home. I can't fit the filter properly though (I know it's 'easy'). It's the peak aquatics congo AR-380. I have the filter media set up correctly. but the instructions don't explain what to do with the tubes. I figure the one with holes is the spray pipe and the L-shaped one is to connect the electric pump to the spray pipe, bit I have one other piece of tube and a kind of cage thing that fits at the end and I (stupidly) just can't work out how to fit them. I want to get the water going and set up over the next week. The fish deserves to get out of that bowl....

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

mrpink6789 wrote: »
    Got some Dwarf Gouramis, few casualties in the last month unfortunately.

I had two Honey Gouramins, still do, but I got 2 of the ones you have pictured there now and it has been a disaster so far!

One of them is an absolute bully, and my guppies tails have been nibbled at and are in poor health :(

None have died yet though, I can't even put them in another tank as I have my male Betta in there.

I wouldn't mind but there are plenty of baby guppies which they have not even sniffed at!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Kersh

Have kept a 400L tanganyikan tank, but had to get rid of it when I moved. Currently have a Jewel Rio, with 3 Calvus, 3 Julies, 5 Cyps.

19jul046.jpg

19jul006.jpg

029.jpg

And Bearded Dragon .

When I got him
    PC240016.jpg

Recently enough
    632197587a3654858487b378549368l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15 HevyKevy

Agree with you Man About Town, Oscars are the best fish ever.. I've had them for almost 20 years and every one that comes to my house loves them especially the kids.

Kids love to see them eating from your hand until they get too big and try to take your finger!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Added 6 cory trilineatus, a few assassin snail and a water onion into the tank yesterday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Here's some pictures from my fish keeping years. I started off small then got big and then back to small again where I am now. I needed to downgrade several years ago due to moving house so I had to sell up. I have a nice smallish community tank now that keeps the fish keeping fire burning in me.

Kylechristmas011.jpg

Kylechristmas027.jpg

Severum008.jpg

Kylechristmas015.jpg

Kylechristmas016.jpg

texasandsclownontop.jpg

2XLclownsfacing.jpg

Moonlight034S.jpg

Moonlight022S.jpg

Tanksept.jpg

Allplecstogether.jpg

TexasmouthopenS.jpg

parrotfisheggs2ndbatch022S.jpg

f2008a6d.jpg

8749707e.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Kersh

Beautiful tanks Fred, some real nice fish! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭summer_ina_bowl

Kudos on all of you that have pictures, last time I tried I ended up with what looked like a bunch of blurry firework shots! :rolleyes:

In a 180l tank I have:
    1 golden angel fish (whose black companion died on new years day :( )
    1 peppered cory catfish
    1 albino (bronze?) cory catfish
    3 zebra danios
    3 cherry barbs
    5 black neon tetras
    8 neon tetras
    1 glowlight tetra
    6 mollies (1 female black lyretail, 2 male black sailfin, 1 white/silver sailfin and 2 orange/black mottled sailfins)
    1 endler guppy
    4 guppies(?) almost identical to the endler guppy, but with no black and a lot of neon orange markings (they were a present from a friend who knew I wanted more endler guppies)
    7 adult fancy guppies (3 female, 4 male) - and as of last night 9 baby fancy :o

--- This tank is stocked pretty much to maximum capacity because I adopted some 'rescue' fish at the end of last year - luckily most of the fish are very small and the tank is well established and carefully maintained - if any beginners are reading this, please do not rush out and dump this many fish into your tank in one go!!

Here's some pictures from my fish keeping years. I started off small then got big and then back to small again where I am now. I needed to downgrade several years ago due to moving house so I had to sell up. I have a nice smallish community tank now that keeps the fish keeping fire burning in me.

Couldn't resist ;)

147419.jpg

• Advertisement

I got 2 Dwarf Indian Puffers today, I have always admired these in the fish shop and decided to see how I fare by getting two. They really need to be fed bloodworms and shrimp etc to keep them going as they do not like flakes too much. So will have to top up on some frozen stuff.

Put in some live stuff with them today to settle them in and my Betta gorged himself :) - I was getting a bit worried about the size his belly was getting!

Surprisingly to me the Cherry Barbs didn't fancy the live food too much, it took the Fighter quite a while to spot they were in the tank. I have read their eyesight is not supposed to be great, but I had always questioned this with mine as he always greets me straight away when I approach the tank - I am a big object though :)

I adore my Fighter, he is getting on so well and loves displaying in his mirror!
    I want to try and breed them, as when I didn't have my filter introducing so much disruption to the water, he would regularly build bubble nests in the tank. The females sell out so quick where I am though and I have actually never seen one in any of the 3 shops I frequent. I will order myself 2 or 3 when i get my other small tank set up to be the breeding tank.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

About to get alot of tetras and angel fish.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Moonlight034S.jpg

Moonlight022S.jpg

What is the moonlighting and where did you get it???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

What is the moonlighting and where did you get it???

They're just simple blue LEDs. I got them from a fella on ebay years ago. I had a quick look but I cant find him on their site. They're easy enough to make if you're anyway handy with your hands :)

I don't have that tank anymore but I used to bunch all those lights together and have them shining down at an angle from one side. It looked great. I'd have them on a separate timer, they would come on for an hour after the main lights went off. The fish looked really cool swimming through the beam of light.

They're just simple blue LEDs. I got them from a fella on ebay years ago. I had a quick look but I cant find him on their site. They're easy enough to make if you're anyway handy with your hands :)

I don't have that tank anymore but I used to bunch all those lights together and have them shining down at an angle from one side. It looked great. I'd have them on a separate timer, they would come on for an hour after the main lights went off. The fish looked really cool swimming through the beam of light.

I have some Marina led lights in my tank,

Just came with 3 - a green, a white and a blue,

Doesn't look anywhere near as good as yours looks, never thought of going down the self build way :D

zyftys.jpg

Slowly starting to look respectable (I hope)
    I still do not know what I actually want it to look like!

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Limerick Bandit

Slowly starting to look respectable (I hope)
    I still do not know what I actually want it to look like!

looks good, are any of the plants real?

looks good, are any of the plants real?

All of them

looks great :) I would remove the air pump as it will drive off co2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

living room starting to look like a aquatic shop:eek:
    150999.jpg

• Advertisement

very nice, I bet the sunlight coming through the water gives a great light effect in the room

Also like the student shelving ;)

its the only way i could shelve 2x100 ltr tanks on the cheap .i would love a 500ltr tank but the wallets closed at the mo

SAM_0627.jpg

How it currently stands after a good pruning.
    I really need a better camera though, the quality is still poor enough :(

where are you buying your plants they're very nice

WIZE wrote: »
    where are you buying your plants they're very nice

Front far left is a fake.
    Back left and back under heater are from seahorse as is the water onion on front right.
    Many small leafed on right is from the shop in Patrick's St in Dun Laoghaire.
    The three others (two obvious and one behind the orange gourami) are off cuts from shoots sent out by the Amazon Sword in the pot, it's sent out 2 shoots since but I chopped them off before they sprouted.

There's also another plastic one behind the filter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭lmaopml

All your pics are lovely guys, I've spent an evening browsing through them and reading up on Paddy's new tank too, can't wait to see the pics of the fish swimming in it now - only a newbie to fish keeping myself with a miserly 15ltr tank that I bought for my son ( and me :) ) with two Goldfish. I now know it's a 'big mistake' - didn't realise before I bought it though, and I bought them all together with no advice in the petshop from petshop owners - so now after six months I'm going to expand my Goldfishies horizons and buy them more space and me less maintenance - poor fishies.

Absolutely love Noopti's 'reef tank' with corals, really lovely colours, and really different - all the tanks, it's a great hobbie. Methinks it could get expensive though...

Thanks again for pics - keep them posted!!

lmaopml wrote: »
    Methinks it could get expensive though...

Thanks again for pics - keep them posted!!

oh, it can. Massively so. Though with a bit of restraint it's more than manageable.

Mine above is only 85L but provides decent enough space and variety to keep me interested and a pretty low cost overall. I'd love to move up to about 200L but the cost is what stopping me.

But for what I have, aside from the start up costs (and I already had the tank) it costs pretty much zero to keep going. 8 quid for food has lasted me well over 6 months so far and nowhere near empty, a few quid here and there for a plant of extra fish or fertiliser is easy enough to get. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Getting expensive indeed,and still not a single fish in the tank (lol).:pac:

DSCF6407.jpg
    DSCF6408.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

paddy whats the device in the first photo?

• Advertisement

godtabh wrote: »
    paddy whats the device in the first photo?

Thats a PH controller for adding co2 to the tank, nice bit of kit :)

Advertisement