Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connemarathon 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I was actually starting to wonder if there was a plan for any folks to meet up afterwards?

I dont know the lie of the land out there at all?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Great idea about the gels. I was thinking of taking one each 1/2 hour (so will bring 10 with me) ;)
    I never copped about either the cycling jersey or the pins. I think the pins could be the way to go but where do u pin them to?? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

yop wrote: »
    Great idea about the gels. I was thinking of taking one each 1/2 hour (so will bring 10 with me) ;)
    I never copped about either the cycling jersey or the pins. I think the pins could be the way to go but where do u pin them to?? :)

See wideball's post, two posts above yours :D

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Wonkagirl

I got a bit of a shocker when i saw the iPod thing- I've done all my training with music, i really find it gets me through the wall.. I did an entire 10km to Elbow's 'One day like this' there last week- was really in the zone haha! Anyway, it might make it more enjoyable and i'm sure i'll readjust.

My plan for hydration is this (someone plaese tell me if it's retarded)- I've 2 running bottles (the hand held guys) that take 400ml each. Going to have all liquid in 1 (water/luco mix) and 2 gels with waterpre-mixed in them in the other. Will also have taken a gel before i start, then start sipping them very slowly from about 40 mins onwards. I think this will work better for me that taking a gel with 125ml of water. I have serious hydration problems- in that i need to go to the toilet a LOT unless i sip.. sip dont gulp- seems to work better.

I tell you what, i'm getting really nervous now. Was really hoping for sub 2, but a) havent run further than 15km in training and b) looking at last yrs results, only 100 out of about 500 females broke below 2 hours. So this is probably a pipe dream:D. My recent 10km time (52) puts me sub 2, but i guess that only extrapolates correctly if you've covered the distance!!!

Re the party- I'm going to the Galway party- got my ticket over the weekend. This seems to be the one people are going to alright, but if youre staying out Clifden direction i've no doubt the craic will be had out there too.

Wonkagirl wrote: »

I tell you what, i'm getting really nervous now. Was really hoping for sub 2, but a) havent run further than 15km in training and b) looking at last yrs results, only 100 out of about 500 females broke below 2 hours. So this is probably a pipe dream:D.

A LOT of the females are walkers. You've trained to RUN, and you can reasonably expect to RUN. 2 hours = 120 minutes = not much shy of 10 minutes a mile. That's a mighty slow run - you should be able do that going up the hills, and to go a reasonable amount faster on the flat....and there is a LOT of flat, there's only 3 miles of hill. 3 miles is a sh**-load, but it's a lot less than ten miles of pleasant flat/undulating/uppey-downey stuff, which you'll cruise.

Plan your run - work out the mile pace you need, allowing say 30% extra for the uphills, to finish in 1:55. Then just (ahem) run that pace!

You'll be grand, ipod or no.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

At this rate I might wear the Boardsie cycling jersey! :) Even though I don't know about that, cud chaff the bay jaysus out of my nippleodians!! :)

So a gel before??? Is that common practice? I mainly cycle so only used to that plan, be interested to hear what other do.
    Will only drink on the water stations.

52 is about my 10km time too WonkaGirl so I did a flat 1/2 last year in 2hr on the button. With the lack of good training this year I am aiming for 2hr 12 and hoping to God I can do a 2.10 :)

yop wrote: »
    At this rate I might wear the Boardsie cycling jersey! :) Even though I don't know about that, cud chaff the bay jaysus out of my nippleodians!! :)

So a gel before??? Is that common practice? I mainly cycle so only used to that plan, be interested to hear what other do.
    Will only drink on the water stations.

52 is about my 10km time too WonkaGirl so I did a flat 1/2 last year in 2hr on the button. With the lack of good training this year I am aiming for 2hr 12 and hoping to God I can do a 2.10 :)

It's standard practice to put plasters on your nipples, or to plan to bleed. (That's for boys - ladies have better underwear)

Most runners seem to take gels mainly in the second part of the run, when glycogen stores run low. I won't be taking one at the start, but I'll drink half a litre of lucozade sport or similar just before the off. Tactics vary.

Best of luck, whatever your plan!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

brownian wrote: »
    It's standard practice to put plasters on your nipples, or to plan to bleed. (That's for boys - ladies have better underwear)

Most runners seem to take gels mainly in the second part of the run, when glycogen stores run low. I won't be taking one at the start, but I'll drink half a litre of lucozade sport or similar just before the off. Tactics vary.

Best of luck, whatever your plan!

I don't know about that. This will be my 3rd full Connemarathon and 7th over all. If you read through most of the training logs here you'll see when people run marathons they take the gels evenly throught out.
    I'll be taking gel about 10 min before start and then about every 5 mile. It takes about 20min for a gel to get into your system it stays for about another 20 min or so, every 40min or there abouts is a good rule of tumb I go by during marathons. I take them less frequent during training for example my last 20 mile run I took only 2 gels, 1 at 10 mile and the other at 16 mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭ct_roy

hey all,

running the half this weekend - at the start of the year I had intentions of targeting a PB for this race but a series of injuries, surgery and flus have put any thoughts of that to bed.

I've had 2/3 weeks of so so training - up to 7,8,9 miles comfortably (and have 2 DCM's under my belt) so I think I should be able to get around - albeit SLOWLY.

Gonna put in a few short runs this week to keep the legs ticking over - just seen the gradient of some of the inclines :eek:

any good suggestions for similar incline runs around stepaside/ticknock? might get a sneak preview of what I've left myself in for this weekend.

baza1976 wrote: »
    I don't know about that. This will be my 3rd full Connemarathon and 7th over all. If you read through most of the training logs here you'll see when people run marathons they take the gels evenly throught out.
    I'll be taking gel about 10 min before start and then about every 5 mile. It takes about 20min for a gel to get into your system it stays for about another 20 min or so, every 40min or there abouts is a good rule of tumb I go by during marathons. I take them less frequent during training for example my last 20 mile run I took only 2 gels, 1 at 10 mile and the other at 16 mile.

Tactics do indeed vary.

Baza's approach is just as valid as mine (and as you can see he's very experienced). I'd say that you should filter all the advice you get and do what seems best for you. If you've a working approach from the biking, you could do worse than follow it.

• Advertisement

ct_roy wrote: »
    hey all,

running the half this weekend - at the start of the year I had intentions of targeting a PB for this race but a series of injuries, surgery and flus have put any thoughts of that to bed.

I've had 2/3 weeks of so so training - up to 7,8,9 miles comfortably (and have 2 DCM's under my belt) so I think I should be able to get around - albeit SLOWLY.

Gonna put in a few short runs this week to keep the legs ticking over - just seen the gradient of some of the inclines :eek:

any good suggestions for similar incline runs around stepaside/ticknock? might get a sneak preview of what I've left myself in for this weekend.

The run up from Ticknock gate, on the tarmac, to the antennas on 3rock is much steeper than Connemara. So is the straight run up from Stepaside. You'll be glad to hear!

The run up from the new roundabout just N of Stepaside, towards Glencullen (Warren lane, something like that - meets the steep road out of Stepaside eventually) would, IIRC, be not unlike the Conn climbs. Bear in mind its years since I ran those roads, but that's the memory I have of them. The run from the Statoil station in Kilternan up to Johnny Foxes is probably in a similar league too.

They're not THAT bad!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭ct_roy

The run up from Ticknock gate, on the tarmac, to the antennas on 3rock is much steeper than Connemara. So is the straight run up from Stepaside. You'll be glad to hear!

The run up from the new roundabout just N of Stepaside, towards Glencullen (Warren lane, something like that - meets the steep road out of Stepaside eventually) would, IIRC, be not unlike the Conn climbs. Bear in mind its years since I ran those roads, but that's the memory I have of them. The run from the Statoil station in Kilternan up to Johnny Foxes is probably in a similar league too.

They're not THAT bad!:)
    cheers brownian - i know the one you're talking about towards Glencullen - must pop out that direction tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

I'm in the worst possible shape for the half marathon..... I haven't done a tap.... work... laziness.. etc. Poor excuses I know.

I went out for a run of about 6.5 miles last week and went from door to door in about 70 minutes.. (with a couple of walks in between). I'm seriously thinking of giving this one a miss but in the back of my head (despite the odds) something is telling me I could do it.... (IF I do it it will be the 3rd half marathon I'll have done....)

Am I mad? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

... any good suggestions for similar incline runs around stepaside/ticknock? might get a sneak preview of what I've left myself in for this weekend.

There are plenty of trails around 3 rock. I ran on a good few on this run.

cheers brownian - i know the one you're talking about towards Glencullen - must pop out that direction tomorrow!

Or you could run up from Ticknock...if your lungs are still in your chest at the top, you'll be grand in Conn! :)

stepbar wrote: »
    I'm in the worst possible shape for the half marathon..... I haven't done a tap.... work... laziness.. etc. Poor excuses I know.

I went out for a run of about 6.5 miles last week and went from door to door in about 70 minutes.. (with a couple of walks in between). I'm seriously thinking of giving this one a miss but in the back of my head (despite the odds) something is telling me I could do it.... (IF I do it it will be the 3rd half marathon I'll have done....)

Am I mad? :D

Maybe a little. But if you run very slowly, you may well be ok. The key thing to do is not to injure yourself, and a major increase in distance and intensity is a common trigger for injury. If you don't mind doing the odd bit of walking when things start to hurt, I'd say you could give it a go. It's a lovely run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Maybe a little. But if you run very slowly, you may well be ok. The key thing to do is not to injure yourself, and a major increase in distance and intensity is a common trigger for injury. If you don't mind doing the odd bit of walking when things start to hurt, I'd say you could give it a go. It's a lovely run.

Well lets put it this way..... I won't be running up the hill at the end!

You're right, it's a pleasure to run. Hopefully the previous 2 half marathons will stand to me.

I had the Aldi shorts on for the Westport 1/2, they tore all the skin from the inside of my legs so much so that I had blood down the side of my legs :), they probably thought it was Lady GaGa comin over the line! ;)

The vaseline on the nippleodians will be done for sure.

@stepbar- do it anyway, dont even think of chickening out now! Accept that you may have to walk the last hill- but sure a fast walk will probably be as effective as a slow run on that anyway.. you'll be raging on the day if you're not there, the craic is going to be savage during and after! I've heard of loads of people who have only covered about the same distance in training, and i myself have only done 5 long runs since xmas- the longest being 15km- sure i'll give it a go on the day anyway

lol at yop's ''nippleodians''.. for once it's better to have female bits which will be well covered and hammocked on the day:D

So I'm trying to decide which to do tomorrow nite- interval training with Pulse tri club (just joined) or a belt up ticknock.. i mean, does it really matter at this late stage?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Wonkagirl wrote: »
    So I'm trying to decide which to do tomorrow nite- interval training with Pulse tri club (just joined) or a belt up ticknock.. i mean, does it really matter at this late stage?
    Honestly neither, you'd be better off just doing an easy run tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Honestly neither, you'd be better off just doing an easy run tomorrow.

yeah i figured as much alright.. a nice slow 6km is what i'll do i suppose. Just to keep the muscles engaged:)

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭redved

Another good one is the Kilmashogue trail which is the other side of Ticknock.

If you can manage to run up to the top of this trail you should be ok for anything in Conn.

I've tried it a couple of time from the back car park in Marley and never managed it without stopping:o.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

To anyone thinking of going off flying up hill sthis week as a last bit of hard training....don't. Unless you have been incorporating this into your reqular weeks you wont get any benefit from it now and it will just sap some badly needed energy from your legs. The last week is all about resting and recovering, some nice easy runs, stretching and getting your diet and rest sorted. That is what is critical at this stage. All the hard work is done and if it isn't well its too late to try and make it up now.

On fuelin gduring the race personally I would take my gels at regular intervals right from the off, one just before we go and one every 4-5 miles after that. Make sure you drink at the first water station as well even if you dont think you need it, last thing you want is to be trying to catch up on your hydration later in the race.

Bear in mind that the above are my personal opinions not backed up by any coaching or training qualifications.

Best of luck and enjoy the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Definitely a wind down week for me. Did 3.5 ‘undulating’ miles last night. Will do 3/2/2 over the next few days just to keep the legs moving but the main goal now is to get to the start line in one rested piece! I’m very nervous and very excited now…

claralara wrote: »
    I’m very nervous and very excited now…

Don't worry, nobody's noticed:)

BrokenMan wrote: »
    To anyone thinking of going off flying up hill sthis week as a last bit of hard training....don't. Unless you have been incorporating this into your reqular weeks you wont get any benefit from it now and it will just sap some badly needed energy from your legs. The last week is all about resting and recovering, some nice easy runs, stretching and getting your diet and rest sorted. That is what is critical at this stage. All the hard work is done and if it isn't well its too late to try and make it up now.

On fuelin gduring the race personally I would take my gels at regular intervals right from the off, one just before we go and one every 4-5 miles after that. Make sure you drink at the first water station as well even if you dont think you need it, last thing you want is to be trying to catch up on your hydration later in the race.

Bear in mind that the above are my personal opinions not backed up by any coaching or training qualifications.

Best of luck and enjoy the day.

+1 on the rest+recovery this week. And on the hydrate early and often advice.

BrokenMan wrote: »
    Make sure you drink at the first water station as well even if you dont think you need it, last thing you want is to be trying to catch up on your hydration later in the race.

Can anyone tell me what kind of water stations these are- cups or bottles or what? trying to decide whether to carry water with me or not. I cannot drink from cups without getting a woeful stitch!

Did a lazy 2 miles tonite.. ah yes, tapering and carbloading- my 2 favourite parts! If there was a prize for carbloading, i'd be on the podium:D

ETA: ignore water question- 250ml sports cap bottles every 3 miles. Brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Best wishes to all you Boardsies doing Conn. Particularly to those doing the full. If you get weather half like we got last year you'll be blessed. As a 4 time runner of the full here I would advise you to take it handy on the 1st half. I got carried away last year and got drawn in to pacing behind a fast ultra guy (mickrice of all people). Big mistake :rolleyes:. Got to half way in a great time but was fairly spent for the rest of the race and lost a lot of time then. Consistent pacing is what you should be aiming for. Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

The Connemarathon Website states:
    limited Park and Ride facility will be available from both Clifden and Oughterard.
    >>> From Clifden Station House Hotel at 12 noon.
    >>> From Oughterard at 12 noon.
    Please Park at the GAA pitches in Oughterard village.

How come there are no buses from Galway City :confused: Am I missing something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,985 ✭✭✭opus

Was chatting to someone at work during tea break today & discovered her husband is doing the urltra at the w/end, was impressed to hear he's been leaving the house at 5am to get in his long runs :eek:

Best of luck to everyone taking part!

Advertisement