Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connemarathon 2011

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Oisin - 5:30
    Meno - 5:50
    Claralara - 4:28

Not sure on other times yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

aimman 6.03. Sarsfield rock a few minutes behind that. Great race. I was cruising to 5.40ish with 10k to go until i got the worst cramp ever from hamstring to neck. great course hills not as bad as advertised

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

I might have been just 5.31. Last third nearest by about 5 mins and last mile the fastest. Very happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Great times guys. Well done all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Watch time 5.11.00......Got 2 marathon distance in 3.18.30 approx but no amount of reading previous logs can prepare u for those bloody hills...took a couple of walking breaks but delighted with result.... will wait a week or two before deciding whether to return in 2012.. Would love 2 give it a right lash with the proper training.....Well done to all :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jlang

Just crept in as the clock passed 3:30 but it was a game of two halves or rather a 16 and a 10. First half was a bit quick at about 1:35 and I knew I'd need to slow up for the second. Of course, I paid the price for such a fast start - a couple of 11 min miles and watching all the half runners I'd eased past retake me as I had a 1:55. Second slowest marathon from me but only 12 mins off the fastest: Dublin last year. And with interrupted training, a few extra kg and the harder course I'd have taken 3:30 if offered this morning. Even if I made it harder for myself I had a good day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

menoscemo wrote: »
    aimman 6.03. Sarsfield rock a few minutes behind that. Great race. I was cruising to 5.40ish with 10k to go until i got the worst cramp ever from hamstring to neck. great course hills not as bad as advertised

Jaysus, you were looking very relaxed when I saw you, for a man who had just run 38 miles! Nice to make your acquaintance, if only briefly!

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭ct_roy

first time running Connemarathon. Finished the half in 1:55 - nowhere near a PB but a great day out. Given the severe lack of training I was pushing hard for a sub 2 and was very happy with 1:55. Glad we didn't get the predicted scorcher as that bloody hill at 9.5m was tough enough in the mist!

Will defo be back for more punishment next year - very well organised and the run is stunning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Congrats to everyone to took part in one of the races yesterday. It was great to see the boardsies in action again. I hear you had a real battle of wills with the wind for the last 6 miles? I really enjoyed seeing people at the finish and of course the party last night! Fantastic event and hopefully I can be on the start line next year

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Well that was fun! :) Great buzz about the place and a lovely day.
    A nice wee wind and a bit of drizzle but nothing major.

Had a good run heading for 1.45 but I faded to a slow finish. The hill of hell took it out of me.
    Finished in 2.03 but I had it in my head with the training I was doing that I was looking at a 2.12 so I am very happy with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭PIORUN

Done half in 1:37 which I was happy with considering the wind and hill from 9 mile mark, took a lot for me to keep going which I didn't think would happen to me on a half. Didn't find first part of course too hilly compared to say Dingle but that gradual climb after 9 mile mark made up for it...

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Mick Rice

Good grief, but I'm tired and sore today. It was great to meet a lot of people yesterday. Conditions were tougher than last year I think and so was very happy with 4:29. Thought the U2 heads, the devils and the rest were great fun. Am limping like a f***er today. If anyone has good tips for healing up blisters in a hurry, let me know. I have the London Marathon in a weeks time :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

Did the half in 2.15 - a PB (well it was my first half!). Loved it - the support along the way was great, and I found the whole thing very well organised, loads of water stations and the U2 & Devils were a nice touch.

Well done to everyone who took part!

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

Anyone know where the results are available online? I can only see 2010 resultson the Connamarathon website.

Thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Anyone know where the results are available online? I can only see 2010 resultson the Connamarathon website.

Thanks

http://www.connemarathon.com/2011-results-will-be-published-online-12-noon

• Registered Users Posts: 32 pgargan

First time running it, was very impressed with the logistics - from small touches like having the race number safety pins looped together, to the big things like buses and having your bags collected pre-race and available afterwards. Well worth every penny of the entrance cost.

Does anyone know what the story was with the darkish-coloured van (black?) that meandered down towards the finish line around 1:45 on the half-marathon clock?

Myself and a few other runners were coming up behind it. It seemed to stop or slow down and suddenly we were all piling up against the back of it. Not what you want as you're trying to sprint to a strong finish.

In order to get round it, we'd to go either side. Unable to see past it, I chose right, and found myself running but corralled in the spectator area, separated from the finish line / chip mat by a line of metal barriers. I'd to ask spectators to move so I could climb the fence and tumble over the line. Very annoying. :mad:

I don't know who dropped the ball here. Was it an official race vehicle that ended up in the wrong place? Or some member of the public trying to drive up and collect their mates?

A bit after I finished, I saw another runner hurtling down that spectator area, cut off from the finish mat, yelling "I got stuck!" Not just me, so! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭nutts_77

What a course!! First ultra and didn't have a clue what to expect. Finished in 6hr 16 and am over the moon. :-) Thought at one stage that 6hr finish was possible, but really started to suffer over last 10-12km. Strange thing was that actually enjoyed the hills as they seemed to give my legs a break.

First time ever in Connemara, and what a way to experience the scenery. Will def make a return visit as soon as possible.. Thanks to all involved in this event. It leads the field and should be used by other event organisers to see how an event can, and should be organised...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Times for half about two mins off. Both runners in my party, including third placer, measured two mins faster. As did the clock? Times are provisional so far though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

brownian wrote: »
    Times for half about two mins off. Both runners in my party, including third placer, measured two mins faster. As did the clock? Times are provisional so far though!

I think so! I measured about 90 seconds faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭dx22

That was my 4th half marathon but the first one that i have trained properly for and i bet by previous best by 10 min i got 1:49 yesterday.

Did a lot more hill training and proper long runs with steep hills in training and i sprinted up the hill at the end.Last time i ran it it found the hill brutal. I now see the benefit of doing proper structured training and understand what the different session types do for your running!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 el kabong

I think so! I measured about 90 seconds faster.
    Likewise, about 90 seconds off.

I too encountered the mystery dark van around the finish line. It passed my with about 200m to go, and the driver just kept on trying to drive down the narrow tunnel created by the spectators, which slowed him to a crawl. Luckily for me, by the time I was going past him, he hadn't quite made it to the barriers, and the spectators had made way slightly to allow a single file of runners down the side of the van.

To be fair to the organisers, they have a full road closure enforced at both ends, and at the only junction along the way, but they can't control vehicles emerging from driveways along the route. I suspect the van got onto the course in that way. Nonetheless, they should try to do something to ensure that if such vehicles do appear on the course, then never make it into the finish area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Did the half in 1.56.39 - absolutely thrilled with that, legs in rag order today, but let them :cool:

I will tell the story in my log, but I was more nervious than I have ever been before anything in my entire life, and was making small talk on bus with a "stranger" who turned out to be our own Micilin Muc - which was sensational, out of thousands of people leaving galway we end up on bus beside each other :)

Loved the whole day, alas did not get to meet anyone afterwards despite hanging around for 90 minutes odd after my run. The lesson for next time is pick a place to meet :)

Times are off for sure, mine is saying I was an hour slower *cough cough* ;)

Its 2 mins off for me anyway.

Good to see young Ronan on the side of the road as I was nearing the end (legs and race).

Shame we didn't meet up with more Boardsies.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Just after checking provisional results... Mick Rice 3rd in the Ultra ; 4.29.05... Had the pleasure of meeting him before the race.. He's a bloody machine :eek: ( just after seeing Micks post on previous page... Well done )

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Wonkagirl

PB for me- 1.58- mind you was my first half, so does 1 time even count as a PB? (as an aside!)

Really didnt think i'd come in sub2, so am thrilled with that. Longest training run was 9 miles on the flat, so i#'ll be aiming for sub 1.50 next yr for definite. i didnt think the hills were all theyd been made out to be- it was no worse than the gaelforce run or the Tulfarris10 for that matter- run of the mill hills i would have said?

The organisation was top notch, and all done with a smile on everybodys behalf. Had a good chat with the race director at around 11am yest am, he said his main concern after safety was that everyone had a good time- and i think they did. One of the lads with me was running with a pink number (his girlfriends) and he was calling him the 'ladyboy of leenane'- lots of other races would have disqualified him straight off. That happened a few peoiple in the Ballycotton10 apparently.

Now, the afterparty......... chronic. like a bad wedding. we left after 10 mins and went to The Quays and got trollied. Legs and liv er are in the BIN today¬!

I'll tell you one thing- i wouldnt do a full marathon if you paid me 1m euro. No way no how!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

i didnt think the hills were all theyd been made out to be
    I was thinking the same thing tbh - but Im sure its very different at the end of a Full or even worse an Ultra. :)
    the afterparty......... chronic. like a bad wedding
    Thank god I skipped that so, had a ticket, but could not be bothered to leave the high stool where I was :)

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Wonkagirl

yop wrote: »
    Times are off for sure, mine is saying I was an hour slower *cough cough* ;)

Its 2 mins off for me anyway.

My online time is spot on- exactly what i had on my Garmin to the second. NOw, on another note, my garmin said 13.2 miles. I guess runinng to the left for the entire race added in 100 yrds for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭ct_roy

times were definitely revised today

the first pdf just after 12 had my time at 1:55:35 - the pdf now has me a minute faster - i'll take the 1:54 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

Crash and burn, Crash and burn.

I had a bit of a bummer yesterday. Maybe it was bringing the wife and 2 youngins with me (my Plan A was to cycle the 75 mile trip to Con, run marathon then cycle home:D ) or maybe it was the Mc D's the day before the marathon, or the curry chip later saturday eve or maybe it was messing around the pool in the hotel with the kids or the jacuzzi or the sauna or the endless phlem or the sore throat or the stupid tickle cough lol........

I was planning on on doing each 6mile in 50min. That went to plan till at mile 18 when i was about 3min down. But i wasn't worried too much, my last resort aim was to get around under 4hr plus run up the 3 hills which are the bend before mile 7, Leanne and the HW. I got the first too hills handy enough but the HW broke my soul.
    Long story (and even more excuses) short, I blew up, there have been other marathons when I thought I had blown up!!!
    I was in shock:eek: I couldn't beleive it. I kept asking myself what is happening????? I have ran LSRs and was buzzing after my last LSR finishing the 20 mile in a very easy 2:50ish

I did the first half in around 1:48 ish. I noticed the chip mat wasn't working :mad: and the second half in over 2hr.....crash and burn.
    Finshed up in 4:10ish over half hr slower then my last marathon.

I'll try and get these sicky things out of the way and regroup for Limerick in a few weeks and put the record straight.

Did anyone else think there was more people running the full marathon this year than others??? which was good I thought??

Well done to all the other people on this thread some outstanding results being posted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭floyd333

I did the half. Was happy enough with my time (1:38:27). It was bloody hard going though . The last hill was a killer. I have to say the event was really well organized. The atmosphere was lovely and relaxed. Fair play to the Ultra folks. I have so much respect for these people. I hope to be back next year and maybe i'll do the full.

Advertisement