Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

concerts... best/worst/first??

• 31-03-2011 3:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

just putting it out there ive been to a good few over the years i think my first was bon jovi back in the eighties still remember it. best and worst im not really sure id have to think back.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

First - Stereophonics in the INEC in Killarney.
    Best - Really really hard to choose between Green Day in Wembley Stadium and Avenged Sevenfold in the Olympia, but I'll go with A7X.
    Worst - Paramore supporting Green Day in Marlay park. Never. Again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭splashthecash

First - The Verve in the Point. Great gig as far as I remember....the sights, the smells, the sounds...

Best - There are a few here, U2 in Slane 2001 (first time seeing U2, couldn't believe they were right there in front of me...absolute blast!), Green Day in the Point in either 1999\2000 (these guys can put on a show...the energy is immense. Class songs too), Coldplay\Elbow in Phoenix Park last year (Coldplay have great anthems that work well in large arenas and Elbow...wow, they were AS good if not better than Coldoplay.....going to see them tonight in the O2!)

Worst - Stereophonics in Slane 2002...no energy or interaction at all...no pride or enthusiasim in the songs they were playing

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

Best: James Blunt ....this guy is awesome! Its not my favorite kind of genre but his show was just mind blowing!

Worst: I think that was Bring me the horizon 2009 @ a Festival...Oli's Voice just sucks live (but I love their albums :D )

First: I think that was 2005 , Robbie Williams :D

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭XcupcakeX

first was michael jackson in wembley back in the early 90's

Worst was korn in the point...... No interaction and seemed like a going through the motions gig

Best has far too many to pick from.....my chemical romance, green day, alkaline trio, papa roach were all amazing. And limp bizkit was awesome.... But I think I will go with aexisonfire, purely for the fact that I wasn't a huge fan before the gig, but they really blew me away live

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

First Metallica in Wembley Stadium in 2007

Best Green Day in Wembley Stadium in 2010 or Avenged Sevenfold in the Olympia in 2010

Worst Glasvegas. Saw them support Muse and Oasis. Terrible both times. How they make money is beyond me!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

First: metallica at rds in 03

Best: any porcupine tree or pearl jam ones.

Worst: ozzy with black label supporting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

First: Queen at Slane 86.

Best: Radiohead in the RDS in 97 (week after OK Computer was released), Richard Hawley in Vicar Street 2007 (I think!), U2 in Cork in 87. Special mention for Macca in the RDS. Lifelong ambition to see him. Good but not nearly as good as his show in the O2.

Worst: Badly Drawn Boy in the Olympia, Fountains of Wayne in The Ambassador.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jossnjuice

First - Either Christy Moore or Meat Loaf, both in the point, and within a few weeks of each other in late '93

Best - Springsteen in the RDS in 2008 and 9, Bon Jovi in croker 2005, Christy Moore, in the grand canal last December

Worst - Clapton in Malahide Castle......Speakers blew during the solo in Layla twice, and he just kept going....nobody told him.....coupled with pissing rain and 60 mile an hour winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

FIRST: US3 in the Olympia around 1994

BEST: Boredoms in the Village 2007 or Broken Social Scene in TBMC 2005

WORST: Mum in Vicar St in 2004 I think. Animal Collective supported. Both were rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

First: David Bowie in the Point in 1995

Best: Leonard Cohen in Lissadel House in 2010/ Radiohead in Malahide Castle 2008

Worst: Oasis at Slane 2009. What a clusterfu*ck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭glennhysen

First: Ned's Atomic Dustbin in McGonagle's (used to be in Sth Anne Street) in 1991

Best: The Cure, Wembley Arena 2008 or Radiohead in the Point in 2003

Worst: The Eagles in the RDS sometime in mid 90's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

First: Metallica in the point, back in 1999

Best: Either that Metallica gig, Pearl Jam in London in in 2009 or Ocean Color Scene in the Olympia a few weeks back ,talk about a trip down memory laqe!

Worst is either the Red Hot Chili Peppers in Lansdowne Road, absolute shyte, think they placyed for a shade over an hour, or
    jossnjuice wrote: »
    Worst - Clapton in Malahide Castle......Speakers blew during the solo in Layla twice, and he just kept going....nobody told him.....coupled with pissing rain and 60 mile an hour winds.
    Really broke my heart, should have been epic, but no, it was a huge disappointment. The fact that he didn't even apologise for the sound going sealed the deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

its funny how when it comes to the best people can never decide so they put down a couple..... and im going to do the very same i cant decide, i remember alice cooper played the point years ago great concert even the special effects alone were woth a look (the guy that did terminator 2 did them), seen metallica there aswell another great gig, another one that stands out was bon jovi in the rds it pissed rain there was thunder and lightning but it looked like it was part of the show brilliant concert.

the worst was probably brian may (queen guitarist) my mate rang me out of the blue he had a couple of free tickets there was a good reason they were free, oh ye and i went to see soul asylum in the sfx on paddys night years ago was only a youngfella drank too much all day and conked out at the gig

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

My first was Pearl Jam in either '95 or '96 and it's still one of my favourites.

But my No. 1 gig would be Black Stone Cherry in possibly the Academy in Dublin (can't quite remember the venue). They were brilliant. Full of energy and sounded fantastic.

The worst was Cat Power in, I think, Whelan's in Dublin. She had had some sort of fall the previous day and was a mix between having a concussion and being stoned. The hair was matted with blood, or so she kept saying. She played one song for about 3/4's of an hour, starting and stopping and trying to sort out the sound system. So we threw in the towel and left. Should have asked for our money back, but were so pissed off we didn't even think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Dibble

First gig: Simple Minds in Croke Park 1986
    Best gig: Neil Young in Slane 1993
    Worst gig: I think the worst performance I ever witnessed was Finlay Quaye when he appeared on the Verve line-up in Slane '98 - absolutely atrocious!

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭ned rierson

First - Stiff Little Fingers TV Club Dublin 1982
    Best - Echo & The Bunnymen SFX Dublin 1984
    Worst - Vandals TBMC Dublin ????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

First: Faithless @ Creamfields, Punchestown 2001. Brilliant gig:D

Best: Probably Gorrilaz in the 02 last year. They were fantastic I thought, the crowd was really up for it and all the special guests made it even better.

Worst: Mumford and Sons. Electric Picnic last year, they are shit live!!

Special mention for general shitness must go to UB40 in Millstreet about 5years ago. I have never seen so many fight in my life, nor so many members of our 'travelling brethren'. The sound was crap and they had to stop the music a few times so Ali Campbell could tell the crowd to 'stop fighting, start dancing'. The Wailers supported them and were excellent though, way better than UB40!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Best - Ash - London Astoria - 1997.

One big mosh pit.

First - Michael Jackson - Wembley Stadium - 1992

WOW!

Worst - Oasis - Lansdowne Road - 2000

No crowd interaction, literally only played the songs and walked off within the hour

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

irish-stew wrote: »
    Worst - Oasis - Lansdowne Road - 2000

No crowd interaction, literally only played the songs and walked off within the hour

i have a recording of this (it was actually my 1st gig), and that's not true at all. they talk between most songs, and it's 90mins long, pretty standard gig time.
    16 songs:
    http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/oasis/2000/lansdowne-road-dublin-ireland-6bd28ac6.html

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

i have a recording of this (it was actually my 1st gig), and that's not true at all. they talk between most songs, and it's 90mins long, pretty standard gig time.
    16 songs:
    http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/oasis/2000/lansdowne-road-dublin-ireland-6bd28ac6.html

My memory of it was pretty bad anyway, and I left very disapointed. Prehaps in that disapointment I have forgotton the good in it. The only highlight I have from it was the guy who danced on the top of the sound tent, and Liam commenting on it.

I do remember being better impressed by Supergrass though, whose music I knew very little of before hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

gotta say I've been blessed to see a lot of amazing gigs over the years, and for me it's also quite difficult to pick one for the worst - the more gigs you hit the higher the risk of seeing a band on a truly off night or just a **** live band.....

First - Anthrax/Testament, S.F.X. 30-10-1987

Best - Slayer in the Top Hat in '88, Jeff Healey in the Stadium, Suicidal Tendencies in the TBMC, Marillion Button Factory Dec '09 and WASP the night before Marillion in the same venue........

Worst - Chilli Peppers in Lansdowne is up there, taking the money and running, no energy, no interest in being there, could have been a bad day and therefore unfair on them, but I'd never pay to see them again - Monster Magnet in the Ambassador, truely shocking performance, completely blown away by the supports (Glucifier and The Quill)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

First - Rory Gallagher, Macroom Mountain Dew Festival 1978 (0r 9, too far back to remember)

Best - hard to say, there's been so many but perhaps Radiohead in the Olympia in 03, Sigur Ros in the Olympia, Pixies also in the Olympia ... the Olympia is a great place to catch a gig I reckon, Dreadzone at Life, Lamb of God at the Point, Cancer Bats at the Academy, Rob Hood in the Twisted Pepper .... crikey where do you stop

Worst - probably some night seeing the Rolling Stones in recent years as they phone in another piss poor performance, U2 at Croke park on the last tour, Black Crowes we pretty awful at Wembley in 95 ... dunno really, Chili Peppers at Phoenix Park were blown away by the Pixies so that was crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭evillive

First - Metallica - Top Hat 1988 - total blur, just sorry i cant remember any of it

Best - Ozzy - McGonagles - 91/92 - a privilege to have seen him up close and personal in such a small gig - and i got one of Randy Castillo's drumsticks which he signed later - although its obv pretty hard to write on a stick

Worst - Thunder SFX - early 90's - support band, No Sweat blew them away and it was all they could do to stay on stage and finish their set

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭hellyeah

FIRST : Def lepard in the olympia around 97 me thinks.

worst : iron maiden at the rds a few year back when manson was in support. sound was awfull.

best : soulfly for the dark ages tour in the temple bar. slipknot at the rds( shadows fall in support) every metallica gig ive been at.:D Kiss last year at the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

First: O2 in the Park [First in a venue, Greenday @ The Point]

Best: Imelda May @ The Olympia, Dec 2010.
    Everything was just PERFECT! She looked and sounded incredible, the stage was great, the lights, the atmosphere, and she did a Christmassy encore in a santy suit with ACTUAL snow! :D

Swoooon......

Worst: Dont really have one, but Maroon 5 @ Grand Canal ended up crap because Adam Levine is a cocky, arrogant, disprepectful and unappreciative bastard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

1st big concert was Guns n Roses in the RDS 2006

Best concert - AC/DC in the o2 in 2009

Worst Concert - Guns n Roses in the o2 2010 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

Pauleta wrote: »
    1st big concert was Guns n Roses in the RDS 2006

Best concert - AC/DC in the o2 in 2009

Worst Concert - Guns n Roses in the o2 2010 :pac:

was at the gnr one in 2006 good concert seb bach came out and did a bit with them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

First - Feeder supported by Low and Snow Patrol. MTV Brand New gig with Zane Lowe, in the Tivoli Theatre ca. 1999. Great gig.

Best - Macca in the O2, December 2009. Beautiful, I couldn't believe it was him and he was in amazing form. Seeing Queen + Paul Rodgers is close, but Macca just gets the nod. The Raconteurs in the Olympia close too.

Worst - Lynryd Skynyrd in the O2 last year. Midweek gig, no one was there and I just felt sorry for the poor guys.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,953 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

First:- U2 Zoo TV tour 1993

Best:- (one 1??) roger waters (marquee in cork), nice cave (electric picnic), mike oldfield (the point)

worst:- dylan (the point)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭nobby grande

First - Massive Attack + Radiohead RDS 1997. OK computer and Protection. Two great albums, two great acts. Sunny weather, couldnt ask for more.

Best - Pixies 2nd night of reunion tour in Europe - Brixton Academy 2005 - never thought i'd get to see them live. Amazing show, great sound, atmosphere was euphoric.

Worst - Oxegen 2009 - Non stop rain. Scumbags everywhere. Even in the tents there was aggro.

Advertisement