Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WeightWatchers & "How Many ProPoints?" Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭izzy24

Lady Lainy wrote: »
    I'm in the process of changing my whole life...starting my life...figured now is as good a time to change the outside, while i'm getting the smarts!

Dying to get back horse riding, I'm studying animal care...it would just be wrong and humiliating if i was working with horses....but too fat to actually ride horses...no one would ever hire me or work with me....and well...stretch skin tight riding breeches just aint flattering! and my legs are too fat to get the fancy tall boots on.

And animal care is one of those industries...you wanna go anywhere and move up in the pecking order...you gotta speak up...be confident...no matter how many qualifications you have from what university...chances are you'll start off cleaning up animal poop....

And at 24....i've never been on a properly holiday without family, it aint a holiday if your bringing all the stress from home with ya! Everyone I know wants to go on hot sun holidays....i pretend to hate sun holidays cos I just look like mr blobby on the beech! I burn like crazy...and beach clothes are not my friend!

I'm 24 I want to live my life, I want to go places, I want to finally have some confidence...i dont want to be cocky...I just want to be brave enough...comfortably enough in my own skin to LIVE

and i know its wrong...but i want to have the confidence to go after the nice & cute guys :P and not settle for the ass holes, just cos i think no one else will have me...

i no exactually how u feel girl... i have some of the same goals horse riding is one of my biggest i miss it so much :( and am determined to go back when i hit the 4 stones loss mark so 3 stone to go...

as for holidays i love going but i hate walking around and people looking at me i feel so concious sometimes and i would love to just be normal im not even looking to get into a bikini just feel comfortable in myself...

size 16/18 would be a dream come true cant remember when i weighted that its been so long... im only 25 and dont want to waste my life being over weight and feeling like this...
    im lucky i have fab family and friends and a brilliant boyfriend and so life has been brilliant but im just so sick of being over weight and missing out on the things i love doing:(...

sorry for the rant everyone:o!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Lady Lainy

HERE HERE!!!!!! Really enjoyed reading that, fair play to you!! Your a great role model and your so right to do it now, I'm 32 and kinda wishing I'd started earlier but it's not too late. Whoo Hoo, here's to a new day tomorrow!!

lol i'm just a fat chic that talks too much...i'd be great on radio if i didnt get stage fright

izzy24 wrote: »
    i no exactually how u feel girl... i have some of the same goals horse riding is one of my biggest i miss it so much :( and am determined to go back when i hit the 4 stones loss mark so 3 stone to go...

as for holidays i love going but i hate walking around and people looking at me i feel so concious sometimes and i would love to just be normal im not even looking to get into a bikini just feel comfortable in myself...

size 16/18 would be a dream come true cant remember when i weighted that its been so long... im only 25 and dont want to waste my life being over weight and feeling like this...
    im lucky i have fab family and friends and a brilliant boyfriend and so life has been brilliant but im just so sick of being over weight and missing out on the things i love doing:(...

sorry for the rant everyone:o!

we'll have to go horse riding when we get to our goals so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Eabhabear

Lainy your post and people's replies made me feel like I'm not alone. The boy thing has been a big issue for me. I feel like I'm not good looking enough for the guys. There's one guy I really like and he's been single for a while and I just haven't had the confidence to go after him :( There's always been things in life that I've held back with because of my weight. I think that's a big reason why I'm refusing to give up! Thanks for your inspiration :)

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭starlight1

Hope everyones having a good weekend :)

I was down a pound on wed so 4st 1 and a half altogether now..really happy with any loss at mo cos had few tough weeks since the switch to propoints..

just my tuppence worth for anyone starting off/newly joined..start keeping measurements of inch loss..I never did and really regret it now!

Threw out loads of clothes as I've been going (gets easier after the first time, at the beginning I was like..ah sure I could need that again) but kept 1 pair of trousers that I wore to my first wi (this time round on ww) and jesus tried them on today and theres some difference...so either keep measurements or at least 1 piece of clothing as a reminder..does wonders for motivation and reminding you how far you've come;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 newtorunning

Congrats Starlight on your loss, it's brilliant!

we'll have to go horse riding when we get to our goals so!

sounds like a good plan to me :D!!!

starlight1 wrote: »

I was down a pound on wed so 4st 1 and a half altogether now..really happy with any loss at mo cos had few tough weeks since the switch to propoints..

just my tuppence worth for anyone starting off/newly joined..start keeping measurements of inch loss..I never did and really regret it now!

Threw out loads of clothes as I've been going (gets easier after the first time, at the beginning I was like..ah sure I could need that again) but kept 1 pair of trousers that I wore to my first wi (this time round on ww) and jesus tried them on today and theres some difference...so either keep measurements or at least 1 piece of clothing as a reminder..does wonders for motivation and reminding you how far you've come;)

thats brilliant starlight your doing brilliant:D

Congrats Starlight on your loss, it's brilliant!

ta newrunning..still a loooong way to go but I feel great...this time last year I rejoined for the millionth time and for some reason it just seems to have clicked:)

izzy24 wrote: »
    thats brilliant starlight your doing brilliant:D

Thanks izzy...This thread has been a big part in keeping me motivated..not the most regular poster and should prob change that as it's such a good support..great to hear of other peoples successes and bumps in the road..helps you feel like you're not the only one who has the ups and downs :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Reading the boy issue really reminded of me when I was younger, I'm 30 now. My lil nugget of advice girls would be do it now in your 20's, seriously. I wish I had.

Even though I'm in a relationship, weight still creates problems, I'll be brutally honest, I cover and duck and dive so as to prevent my other half from seeing me naked. That's pretty difficult for him and me,and I just feel until I get this bloody weight off me, I can never truly be myself. Anyway sorry for my rant, feeling a bit sorry for myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 sage girl

Hi all,
    Inspiring stuff on here tonight! Had a reasonable day, was at a family thing today, lots of salads etc so easy enough to eat within the points. Even avoided the carrot cake! which I made! (Had a bran muffin with light cream cheese frosting instead...)
    Then I arrive home and start eating, kinda a low fat binge! 5 Rice cakes with low fat Philadelphia, boots shapers bar (great value 2 points each) jaffa cakes and velvet crunch. plus wine. Don't really know how much Ive eaten so might have to get the tracker out....
    When I read the stuff about boys it so brings me back to my twenties, I just thought I was huge and nobody would ever look at me. But in hindsight I think it was that I was so caught up in worry about how I looked that I didn't give the impression of being open to meeting someone! I think we are never as big as we imagine ourselves to be! And if a guy is worth being with, he'll love you whatever size you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Guys,

my wife is doing WW and i use her info to also do it.

I created a spreadsheet to calculate my daily allowance and to calculate the PPs for a food item[I got the formula's off the net( after a long, long search)], track my food, track my excersise.

The one thing I dont know is what my ideal weight would be.

I'm 32, 1.77m tall and weighed 17st4 when I started.

Anyone knwo how to calculate this?

PS, I started @ page 642 and am working my way towards page 1, extracting all the receipes and gathering them on .... a spreadsheet, when I have completed it I can post it here.

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Blue8439

Hi all,

I have been reading this thread for weeks now and have to say I think it's great :) It's so interesting to hear everyone's stories and how they are getting on with the new programme.

I am 21 and in college at the moment with a lot of weight to lose and I just think it's time now...I've tried before, lost, and put back on but this is the last time and I have to make it work now. I am currently doing the programme on my own because I don't have time for meetings with college but also don't have the money, €10 a week is a lot for a poor student! I am wondering if anyone could give me advice on the weight watchers online programme on the uk site and weather they feel it might be worthwhile me signing up to it?

Thanks and best of luck to everyone on their weight loss journey!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

starlight1 wrote: »

I am a major advocate of the taking measurements approach, one week i had lost no poundage but had lost a full inch off my waist - it is a nice tanigble way off seeing results

• Registered Users Posts: 47 SAexpat

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    Guys,

my wife is doing WW and i use her info to also do it.

I created a spreadsheet to calculate my daily allowance and to calculate the PPs for a food item[I got the formula's off the net( after a long, long search)], track my food, track my excersise.

The one thing I dont know is what my ideal weight would be.

I'm 32, 1.77m tall and weighed 17st4 when I started.

Anyone knwo how to calculate this?

PS, I started @ page 642 and am working my way towards page 1, extracting all the receipes and gathering them on .... a spreadsheet, when I have completed it I can post it here.

thanks

Thanks, that will be very helpful! There are some lovely ideas and recipes on here but to go back and try and find them is a mission! Maybe what we need is a separate thread for ww recipes and pp values! I am sure I have seen something on the net on how to work out your ideal weight, will look!

Blue8439 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have been reading this thread for weeks now and have to say I think it's great :) It's so interesting to hear everyone's stories and how they are getting on with the new programme.

I am 21 and in college at the moment with a lot of weight to lose and I just think it's time now...I've tried before, lost, and put back on but this is the last time and I have to make it work now. I am currently doing the programme on my own because I don't have time for meetings with college but also don't have the money, €10 a week is a lot for a poor student! I am wondering if anyone could give me advice on the weight watchers online programme on the uk site and weather they feel it might be worthwhile me signing up to it?

Thanks and best of luck to everyone on their weight loss journey!

Hi, i'm 24, in college full time, I'm doing it online my self! works out way cheaper...and you can buy the calculator on ebay :) irish people cant buy from the uk site,

when signing up to the uk site, you'll need to give them an english post code...just google some random hotel and use that post code.

Electronic digital bathroom scales, and digital kitchen scales are really essential for tracking your progress and weighing out portions.

SAexpat wrote: »
    Thanks, that will be very helpful! There are some lovely ideas and recipes on here but to go back and try and find them is a mission! Maybe what we need is a separate thread for ww recipes and pp values! I am sure I have seen something on the net on how to work out your ideal weight, will look!

they tried that before...and it was disaster...people were double posting...posting in the recipe thread instead of here, it was messy and all over the place. head wrecking for posters too...this thread moves so fast as it is...hard to keep up....it was impossible to keep up with two threads

There was nearly WAR over it....DONT START A RECIPE THREAD! Mods wont be happy!

Ideal Weight Chart

http://www.nutrition.ie/weight-height-chart.html

If you google "Ideal weight for height" you'll find tonnes of links about working out your idea weight....my weight is fecking 8 and half stone! no way in hell i could ever get to that...i'm hoping to get down to about 10 or 11

thanks

just make sure you have the right formulea...there are loads of fake formulas floating around claiming to be the the pro point formulea...

weight watchers is a business....they are going to try and keep the formlea a secret, especially while the programme is new

men are always so scientific when it comes to weight loss :p woman are mushy and emotional...then again we do rule the world hehe...life and the world does tend to make us mushy :P

just make sure you have the right formulea...there are loads of fake formulas floating around claiming to be the the pro point formulea...

weight watchers is a business....they are going to try and keep the formlea a secret, especially while the programme is new

men are always so scientific when it comes to weight loss :p woman are mushy and emotional...then again we do rule the world hehe...life and the world does tend to make us mushy :P

Hi,

my formulas seem to be correct as the match my wifes results on 'the wheel'

The spreadsheet with the receipes is just copy and paste from this thread, it will be like a booklet:D

If didnt build myself a spreadsheet to track/update daily I'd soon loose interest, I'm hoping to stay interested long enough to get used to all the portion sizes before i get bored so at least I know what healthy portions look like

• Advertisement

Hi, i'm 24, in college full time, I'm doing it online my self! works out way cheaper...and you can buy the calculator on ebay :) irish people cant buy from the uk site,

when signing up to the uk site, you'll need to give them an english post code...just google some random hotel and use that post code.

Electronic digital bathroom scales, and digital kitchen scales are really essential for tracking your progress and weighing out portions.

btw, thanks for all the receipes you have posted on here, there will be many of them on the spreadsheet

btw, thanks for all the receipes you have posted on here, there will be many of them on the spreadsheet

Propoints starts on page roughly 360...pages before that are pointed on the old system...they'd prob still be good recipes but they'd needed to re-pointed!

the english site is great for recipes! the thai green curry was to DIE FOR last night!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Propoints starts on page roughly 360...pages before that are pointed on the old system...they'd prob still be good recipes but they'd needed to re-pointed!

the english site is great for recipes! the thai green curry was to DIE FOR last night!

It's gorgeous isn't it!! I might make that tonight again, I want spicy!!!!

whoohoo, only 100 more pages!:D :rolleyes::eek::(

misslt wrote: »
    It's gorgeous isn't it!! I might make that tonight again, I want spicy!!!!

have you seen small cans of the light coconut milk? cos i'm only useing like 1/4 of a can and the rest is wasted

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 154 ✭✭lil kc

Oh my god, I haven't been on here in a week as I was in London so about 50 pages to catch up on.

Well I was really dreading last week because I wasn't going to be able to prepare my own stuff etc, and rushing around London underground so much really takes it out of you. So I have to admit I took a week off from tracking but I did keep my eating out guide in my handbag and tried to make better choices. The worst thing I had to eat all week was a 2 scoop cone from Ben and Jerrys and a bowl of fries with my lunch one day. Apart from that I tried to choose fish dishes and vegetable sides. I am glad to say it doesnt look like I did too much damage as I have weighed myself this morning and it seems maybe 1lb might of crept back on. Here's hoping anyway! Back on track today and onto the step machine every day for 30 mins.

Have a great week all. :D

btw .... anyone have a receipe for Relish?

Many ta's

btw .... anyone have a receipe for Relish?

Many ta's

tomato based? alot of the jar relishes are very low in points...1pp per teaspoon usually

or pepper based.

I know the jars are low but would like to make my own( sence of achievement:cool:)

• Advertisement

Oh these all sound so nice! But wasted on me...as i'm a weight watcher for one!

Traditional Roast Beef Dinner

ProPoints® Value: 8
    Servings: 8
    Preparation Time: 20 min
    Cooking Time: 220 min
    Level of Difficulty: Moderate

A Sunday lunch tradition! You can also make this dish on the weekend and reheat it on a busy weeknight for a satisfying meal.

Ingredients
    5 spray(s) Cooking Spray, Calorie Controlled
    1200 g Beef, Rump Steak, 88% Lean, 11% Fat, Raw, (1.2kg) trimmed of all visible fat
    1 teaspoons (ground) Pepper, Black (Whole, Cracked or Ground)
    1/4 teaspoons Salt
    2 large Onion, All Types, sliced
    400 ml Water
    1 cube(s) Stock Cube, Vegetable, beef
    1 1/2 tablespoons Vinegar, All Types, balsamic or red wine
    1 teaspoons Thyme, Dried, dried
    450 g Potatoes, Old, Raw, scrubbed and quartered
    450 g Carrots, Old, Raw
    1 sprig(s) (fresh) Parsley, fresh, chopped, for garnish

Instructions
    Preheat oven to Gas Mark4/180°C/350°F. Coat a large casserole dish (with lid) with cooking spray. Heat over medium-high heat.

Sprinkle beef with pepper and salt. Place in pot and scatter onions around the beef. Cook, turning beef and stirring onions occasionally, until beef and onions are browned, about 8 minutes. Pour water into pot; stir in crumbled stock cube, vinegar and thyme and bring to a boil.

Cover and cook 1 1/2 hours. Place potatoes and carrots around beef; cover and bake until beef and vegetables are tender. Remove one potato from pot and puree in a blender. Stir into gravy to thicken.

Transfer beef roast to a cutting board and slice against grain into 16 slices. Serve with vegetables and gravy.

Pork Sunday Lunch

ProPoints® Value: 16
    Servings: 4
    Preparation Time: 30 min
    Cooking Time: 120 min
    Level of Difficulty: Easy

Nothing beats the aroma of roast pork to make you feel hungry – so enjoy the best on a Sunday.

Ingredients
    1000 g Pork, Loin Steak, lean, Raw
    4 portion(s) (medium) Potatoes, Old, Raw, cut into chunks
    2 medium Parsnip, thickly sliced
    400 g Carrots, Old, Raw, scrubbed
    2 tablespoons Oil, Olive
    4 clove(s) Garlic, cut into slivers
    1 sprig(s) Thyme, Fresh, or
    1 sprig(s) Rosemary, Fresh
    1 pinch Salt
    1/4 teaspoons (ground) Pepper, Black (Whole, Cracked or Ground), freshly ground
    4 medium Apple, cored and scored around the middle
    300 g Cabbage, shredded
    4 teaspoons Gravy Powder / Granules, dry

Instructions
    Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 6/200°C/400°F. Put the pork into a roasting pan and roast for 1 hour.

Put the potatoes, parsnips and carrots into another large roasting pan or baking dish. Add the olive oil, garlic and thyme or rosemary. Season with salt and pepper and toss together. Place in the oven on the shelf above the meat, after it has cooked for 1 hour. After a further 15 minutes, arrange the apples around the pork.

Cook the pork for a further 30 minutes, then remove it from the oven along with the apples, and cover tightly with foil. Let it rest for 15 minutes whilst the vegetables finish roasting. At the same time, put the cabbage on to cook in lightly salted boiling water for 4-5 minutes. Make the gravy according to pack instructions.

Carve the pork, allowing 150g per portion. Serve with the roasted vegetables, apples, cabbage and gravy.

Leg of Lamb with Yogurt Mint Sauce

ProPoints® Value: 8
    Servings: 8
    Preparation Time: 5 min
    Cooking Time: 75 min
    Level of Difficulty: Moderate

Enjoy for your Sunday dinner, or if you've a little extra time in the week, it's great anytime

Ingredients
    2 1/2 pound(s) Lamb, Leg, Lean, Raw (23% Bone), (1kg) trimmed of visible fat
    2 clove(s) Garlic, sliced
    225 g The Co-Operative Low Fat Natural Yogurt, plain
    1/4 teaspoons (ground) Pepper, Black (Whole, Cracked or Ground)
    1/4 teaspoons Cayenne Pepper
    8 portion(s) (small) Potatoes, Old, Raw, red, peeled and quartered
    5 spray(s) Cooking Spray, Calorie Controlled
    1/2 teaspoons Salt
    1/2 teaspoons (level) Cumin, Ground
    1 sprig(s) Mint, Fresh, chopped
    1 teaspoons Bay Leaf, Dried

Instructions
    Make several small slits in the lamb and stuff with the garlic slices.

Combine the yogurt, mint, cumin, black pepper, cayenne pepper and bay leaf in a zip top plastic bag. Add the lamb and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours or overnight. If you do not have a zip top plastic bag, then marinate the lamb in a large bowl.

Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 8/230°C/450°F. Coat the roasting pan with cooking spray.

Remove the lamb from the marinade (reserving the marinade), place in the pan, insert a meat thermometer into thickest portion. Pour the marinade over the lamb. Lightly coat the potatoes with cooking spray and sprinkle with salt. Bake for 15 minutes then reduce the oven to Gas Mark 4/180°C/350°F and roast for one more hour or until thermometer registers 70°C/160°F for medium well done.

Remove lamb from the oven and let stand for 10 minutes. Discard the bay leaf. Serve with seasonal green veg.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement