Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Razors

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

I Wouldnt be a mad, must have the shiny one, type person, but I do strive for the Best, thats why I ask. Something O noticed tho is that a lot of the Rqazors have a Solid top bit that screws in place to hold the blade, mine is a butterfly mechanisim, so none of the bits come off, which do people think is better, I would have thought that Butterfly was better but the more expensive ones are the other style

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Shaving.ie

I Wouldnt be a mad, must have the shiny one, type person, but I do strive for the Best, thats why I ask. Something O noticed tho is that a lot of the Rqazors have a Solid top bit that screws in place to hold the blade, mine is a butterfly mechanisim, so none of the bits come off, which do people think is better, I would have thought that Butterfly was better but the more expensive ones are the other style

The Butterfly mechanism is the best in terms of simplicity when changing a blade. They are more prone to damage/loosening at the hinges which can lead to a loose fitting blade. Three piece razors are more solid and have a much more secure hold on the blade. The 3 piece head is also generally slimmer and easier to manoeuvre into tricky areas like under the nose. The razor you bought is more commonly known as a Weishi or Timor which are known to be very mild shavers and great for a beginner.

Price is generally usually dictated by country of manufacture (labour/production costs/quality of raw materials), popularity and design. Weishi razors are made in China, Merkur and Mühle are made in Germany and Feathers are made in Japan which has a rich history of high quality craftsmanship.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Timor is a Lovely place, from now on I will refer to mine as a Timor Razor

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

Three years in, I find that I get perfect shaves from
    • Feather and
    • Asda/Tesco own-brand (Personna?)
    I use a Progress Long Handle. Would I gain anything from using the shorter Progress?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I reckon it's overkill having both Progress models - and that's from someone who has both. Whilst I find the long handled heavier and more aggressive they fact they are both adjustable means I can get equal shaves by having the long handled on 2-3 as the short handled on 3-4.

If you want to pick up a different razor for a bit of variety try an open comb or the Futur,
    great for when you have more than one day of stubble.

I'm trying Feathers out again, found they left weepers when I was starting out. But with a couple of years good practice and a quality cream I'm having flawless results.
    Geo F Trumpers Coconut or one of Nannys Shaving soaps give me the best lather and protection and make a big difference with Feathers or straights.

• Advertisement

Just had my third shave with my new Merkur 15C http://www.shaving.ie/products/Merkur-15c-Open-Comb-Razor.html using the Merkur blade that came with it. A few blood spots the first time, one or two the second time and none today. And bits are smooth that were never smooth before. Very pleased. I love the grip you get from the handle, which is better than you get with the Progress. (As usual, 24-hour turn-around on my order from Chris at shaving.ie :).)

Michael G wrote: »
    Just had my third shave with my new Merkur 15C http://www.shaving.ie/products/Merkur-15c-Open-Comb-Razor.html using the Merkur blade that came with it. A few blood spots the first time, one or two the second time and none today. And bits are smooth that were never smooth before. Very pleased. I love the grip you get from the handle, which is better than you get with the Progress. (As usual, 24-hour turn-around on my order from Chris at shaving.ie :).)

If you like the open comb razors, keep an eye out for the vintage Gillette New range. http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/The%20NEW/The%20NEW.htm
    I've a couple from the 1930's and they are great for those shaves where I have more than 24 hours worth of stubble.

Merkur 15C with Feather blade = perfection :D

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Shaving.ie

Mastering an open comb / slant with a Feather blade... it doesn't get much better than that:)

I am fascinated by this razor and how expensive it is. Is it really worth the price? Has anyone tried it or does anyone know someone who has?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,400 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I am fascinated by this razor and how expensive it is. Is it really worth the price? Has anyone tried it or does anyone know someone who has?

it does get great reviews, geofatboy (on youtube) has reviewed it and liked it.
    But yes, it's pricey, I wouldn't be buying one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,812 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Well I didn't actually buy it but BBS shaves every day since Christmas Day(thanks honey :D).So smooth you'd think there's no blade in it.

At the price it's a bit of a gamble if you didn't like it...

Seven Worlds will Collide

I was tempted to pick up that Feather, the design and finish look top class. What has stopped me is reviews seem to rate it as a rather mild razor and I tend to favour my shaving hardware higher up on the aggressive scale. At least with adjustables you can dial up to a setting that suits but I already have a half dozen razors that I find too mild (Super speeds, slim adjustable and some EJ razors).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Like Gran Hermano, I was tempted, but I read about the blade gap\shave angle on it being quite like a Gillette Tech. Not my cup of tea, for that price, to be honest.

CrowdedHouse, what's your opinion? You've approached this razor having been a Merkur and\or Mühle user previously.

Tried any Gillette Yellow\Green, with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,812 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Amalgam wrote: »

CrowdedHouse, what's your opinion? You've approached this razor having been a Merkur and\or Mühle user previously.

Tried any Gillette Yellow\Green, with it?

Well my weapon of choice was a Red Tip Super Speed, I have never got a satisfactory shave from any of the Merkurs I tried (34,38, open comb 12).

For me the Feather AS works very well with (NOS) Gillette Bleue Extra,Feather and Astra Platinum.

I think I have some Yellows I'll give them a try during the week. I didn't like the Green when I tried (in SS)although I have some Indian Green which worked well in the SS but haven't tried them in the Feather AS

I wonder are people mixing up 'mildness' with 'smoothness' it does feel at times that there is no blade in it, it's that smooth. It's hefty and very well made.
    Cured my RAD for sure - I get perfect shaves every time

Seven Worlds will Collide

Cured my RAD for sure - I get perfect shaves every time
    I had some cash to spare so I was just looking for a way to justify buying it. I hope to get it tomorrow. If anyone is interested, I will post about how it goes.

I got some Voskhod blades as a freebie in my order from Shaving.ie. They are made in Russia and are teflon-coated, according to the package. Has anyone tried them? (I normally use Feathers.)

http://www.dovo.com/_english/neuheiten.html

New catalogue for 2011 out with some new Merkur razors.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I just went wow...wow...wow and WOW! at the first four items on that link. The new DOVO straights are gorgeous. I like that they look like new designs, the woods are great and I love the worked spine model. (/wants :))

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭theboat

So, just did my first ever DE shave, and while it wasn't exactly a fantastic success, I rather enjoyed it!
    I used the boots own brand DE razor, tesco own brand blade, palmolive classic shave cream and a cheap brush (boar, I assume). Went for really cheap (all came in just under €16) as I wanted to see if it's for me before spending more money.
    I loved the feel of the razor when I was shaving my cheeks (i.e. the easiest bits), but I found the jawline and neck much trickier, and gave myself quite a few nicks. I'm assuming this is all down to my technique, which I'm looking forward to working on, but I might also look into better equipment in a few shaves time.
    Found mantic59's videos really helpful, and definitely found mixing my own lather really satisfying. Not 100% sure if I'm a convert yet, but I'm close!

• Advertisement

It's down to technique.

Put it this way you can tootle around town all day in a micra, but put you on a rally stage chances are you will scrape a door or two. :D

Keep going (and learning from the various forums) but above all;

NO Pressure - let the razor do the work, it works totally differently to a cartridge. Remember to stretch your skin.

Also learn to accept a less than BBS shave in the first few weeks, you might be conscious of it at first but no-one else will notice. After a few weeks you will suprise yourself with how close your shave is.

Also - really learn your beard growth direction, it helps to make sure you are following a WTG, then XTG process. Don't get too hung up on ATG until you a shaving comfortably WTG & XTG.

If you are nicking yourself well worth getting a styptic pencil and alum block. Alum block is also good for making the fingers of your non shaving hand 'grippy'.

WTG - with the grain
    XTG - across the grain
    ATG - against the grain
    BBS - baby's bum smooth

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Interestingly, I tried the Baxter of California shave cream, turns out it's made by Mhule (going by a sticker on top of the label). It gave a really nice shave, although was a bit tricky to get the lather right, in fairness it was my first time using it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭theboat

Thanks for the advice @MadsL
    Shave #2 this morning. Went much better than the first one. Did three passes, two WTG, and one kind of XTG (still figuring out the beard growth direction in some places). Was much more careful about letting the razor do the work, and of stretching my skin, so fewer nicks this time. The neck is still the hardest place to get right for me. Didn't help that I had a couple of spots, which tended to catch the razor.
    All in all, though, an improvement!

Great stuff - keep persevering. Aim to get to say 14 shaves and then be able to complete a WTG and XTG passes without nicks. Take it slowly.

To let you know how I'm doing with the straight - I had a good shave this morning and was happy with the directionally smooth result as I didn't need to do any touchups with my Ever-ready Single Edge. This is a breakthrough, especially around the chin.

Now I'm aiming to get more confident ATG - I'm slowly adding in ATG bits and pieces, but holding a cutthroat under your chin with the blade pointing UP makes me (understandably) a tad nervous. It's coming though. And no nicks for a while :D

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭settings

I had my first shave with my new muhle r89 safety razor just now.
    It took me 3 attempts to make a semi decent lather, I had the brush too wet and then not enough soap. I use that little muhle shaving bowl and alot of the lather crept up the sides.
    A derby blade came packed with the razor so I used that. Initially, I found it pretty difficult to get the angle right - didnt know if the bade was on my face or not. First of all i went wtg - again wasnt getting the blade right in alot of places and to go over and over. I only had enough foam for a 2nd pass so went against the grain on my neck and against the grain on top before I realised xtg would be better.
    I certainly didnt do a good job and I can feel a bit of stubble in places- face especially my neck. I got quite a few nicks too mainly on my neck. Running that stone thingy on my face after was torture ha:D
    It was alot different than I anticipated but I'll definitely stick with it and can only get better!

I certainly didnt do a good job and I can feel a bit of stubble in places- face especially my neck. I got quite a few nicks too mainly on my neck.

It will improve.
    It was alot different than I anticipated

In what ways?
    but I'll definitely stick with it and can only get better!

Good stuff!

Some good advice on blade angle here - try to listen to the sound of shaving too, it will tell you a lot. Obviously silence isn't good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭settings

MadsL wrote: »
    In what ways?

Hmm i guess from all the videos I was watching it didn't go as smoothly as I imagined ha. Another thing, I was conscious not put any pressure on the blade and I noticed the blade 'bounced' the odd time after hitting some stubble if that makes sense. Other times I noticed going over and over the same little spot (wtg) trying to get rid of a bit of stubble- above my lip.

I had shave #2 last night and it was a good bit better. I find it hard to get the soap on the brush without making a mess so i just pulled a lump of soap off with my fingernail and threw it in the bowl. I discovered the stubble grows from left to right on my neck/chin and I really went to town trying to weave (ATG so sideways) around my adams apple with my novice hand- had about 6 or 7 cuts by the end:D

I hope to have a better shave tomorrow/sunday. I might try an astra or gillette blade and see if it makes a difference over the derby. My stubble now is what my normal cartridge blade would be tomorrow so I hope a shave as close as that is possible with a safety blade and 3 passes max when I get better technique.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

theboat wrote: »
    So, just did my first ever DE shave, and while it wasn't exactly a fantastic success, I rather enjoyed it!
    I used the boots own brand DE razor, tesco own brand blade, palmolive classic shave cream and a cheap brush (boar, I assume). Went for really cheap (all came in just under €16) as I wanted to see if it's for me before spending more money.
    I loved the feel of the razor when I was shaving my cheeks (i.e. the easiest bits), but I found the jawline and neck much trickier, and gave myself quite a few nicks. I'm assuming this is all down to my technique, which I'm looking forward to working on, but I might also look into better equipment in a few shaves time.
    Found mantic59's videos really helpful, and definitely found mixing my own lather really satisfying. Not 100% sure if I'm a convert yet, but I'm close!

I'm in a similar boat. Being following this forum for a few weeks and watching loads of videos. Went for the Wilkinson Sword DE in boots,a Men-U brush and Men-U shaving cream for starters.

I'm on 2 weeks leave so figured it was the perfect time to start rather than bleary eyed in the early hours of the morning before work. Had my first shave yesterday evening and it went pretty well. No real nicks to speak of. Hardest thing was to get out of the habits built up from using standard Gillette razors and moving the blade at various angles all over the face.

Similar to many,the neck area was a little rough afterwards but to be expected. Enjoyed it i have to say and it didn't really take much longer than a 'normal' shave. Gonna have a go at it every 2nd day for the next week or so and try to perfect it. I have Shaving.ie bookmarked and some items picked out based on user recommendations here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

You'll be amazed at the difference moving from the Wilkinson Sword to the likes of a Merkuer, not only does it feel a lot more solid but all round it much nicer experience.

• Advertisement

I had some cash to spare so I was just looking for a way to justify buying it. I hope to get it tomorrow. If anyone is interested, I will post about how it goes.
    As far as I can tell, it is impossible to cut yourself with this razor unless you deliberatly swipe it sideways on your face, and shaving too hard is equally difficult. A great razor for quick and comfortable daily shaves.

HOWEVER, if I want to take my time and get a real BBS result I go back to my open comb or to my late father's sixty-year-old bog-standard Gillette.

Advertisement