Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Moving To/Living In London Megathread - ALL QUESTIONS TO GO HERE

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Stratus

Not sure if keeping this thread going is the right thing or not but(if not ill move it)..... I was wondering what would be the best way to move over to the uk if I was planning on heading to London driving over or flying was thinking driving so as to be able to get around outside of London for work but then I would have to deal with parking ?? and not to mention the price of the ferry over but suppose one way isn't bad lol.
    And the really annoying thing is I no I cant secure a job before I go over just the nature of the work (plumbing) actually have to be there in the ground which leads me to my next question what would somebody expect to spend over there (conservatively)as in and around London in a month cuz I'm hoping that's as long as it will take me to secure a job

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Stratus wrote: »
    Not sure if keeping this thread going is the right thing or not but(if not ill move it)..... I was wondering what would be the best way to move over to the uk if I was planning on heading to London driving over or flying was thinking driving so as to be able to get around outside of London for work but then I would have to deal with parking ?? and not to mention the price of the ferry over but suppose one way isn't bad lol.
    And the really annoying thing is I no I cant secure a job before I go over just the nature of the work (plumbing) actually have to be there in the ground which leads me to my next question what would somebody expect to spend over there (conservatively)as in and around London in a month cuz I'm hoping that's as long as it will take me to secure a job

Hi Stratus,

For the time being we may as well keep this thread going - I'll have to make some time to go through a few threads and pull together all the useful advice people have offered into one big sticky thread.

In terms of car vs flights, it really does depend on how much and how far you expect to be travelling (particularly for work) once you're set up here. You'll have to deal with the usual costs of petrol, road tax, insurance and a parking permit wherever you live, but with the congestion charge on top of that any time you're in central London (check the link to find more info on where the charge applies). The alternative is to use public transport, but you'll have to decide for yourself how feasible that is in terms of your work, based not only on cost but also practicality (in terms of travel time, moving tools around etc).

As for costings, it depends where you plan to live. You can look around on the likes of gumtree.co.uk for short-term accommodation - you ought to be able to find a room in a house share or something like that for ~£350 per month. You'll need some sort of deposit as well. Budget ~£40-50 for food per week, and maybe £30-£40 per week for travel if you expect to be doing a lot of travel on buses/tubes.

You'll need access to a phone of some sort if you're looking for work, which can be either through a PAYG sim-card if you've already got a network-unlocked phone, or through putting money on a Skype account. A combination of the two might be best for saving money, if you've got a laptop of some sort and can get wi-fi access - calling landlines from Skype will be much cheaper than from a mobile.

Don't forget to get cracking with an NI number application as early as you can - they can take a while to get sorted and it's better to do it sooner than later. If you haven't done so already, you should check if there will be any issue in using/transferring whatever professional accreditations you've got - I'm not in the trade so I don't know the finer details, but this might be a useful starting point.

Good luck with the move!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Country lane

It might also be worth either registering on sites like gumtree, and also trade sites like myhammer.com, ratedpeople.com, infinitetradesmen.com, mybuilder.com etc or looking on them at plumbers in the area that you settle and contacting them for a start.

Fysh wrote: »
    Hi Stratus,

For the time being we may as well keep this thread going - I'll have to make some time to go through a few threads and pull together all the useful advice people have offered into one big sticky thread.

Good'n all the advice is a great help and unfortunately there maybe/will be more looking for it.
    In terms of car vs. flights, it really does depend on how much and how far you expect to be travelling (particularly for work) once you're set up here.

Well I be going over empty, the only reason I would be driving over is because I could travel further a field if I cant get work in London I can also apply to jobs further out side London, as I wouldn’t be limited by public transport well that is my reasoning for driving over but then if I cant get work in the London not much hope outside LOL
    You'll need access to a phone of some sort if you're looking for work, which can be either through a PAYG sim-card if you've already got a network-unlocked phone, or through putting money on a Skype account. A combination of the two might be best for saving money, if you've got a laptop of some sort and can get wi-fi access - calling landlines from Skype will be much cheaper than from a mobile.

Some real good ideas above thanks Fysh, I got my phone unlocked from Vodafone as soon as I got it for just such a situation all I’ll need to purchase is a PAYG sim unfortunately don’t have a laptop, desktop only :(
    If you haven't done so already, you should check if there will be any issue in using/transferring whatever professional accreditations you've got - I'm not in the trade so I don't know the finer details, but this might be a useful starting point.

Great I have actually been looking for that I will be ringing them to find out how my qualifications will be viewed with employers. but anything just to get set up over there will have to do for the short term
    Good luck with the move!
    Thanks all I have to do now is decided on a date and stick to it
    It might also be worth either registering on sites like gumtree, and also trade sites like myhammer.com, ratedpeople.com, infinitetradesmen.com, mybuilder.com etc or looking on them at plumbers in the area that you settle and contacting them for a start.

Again another great one never would have thought of that one this is what’s so great about this site everybody pooling ideas. Just one thing though anybody know of anybody that has used any of these sites in the UK??

Thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Country lane

Good'n all the advice is a great help and unfortunately there maybe/will be more looking for it.

Well I be going over empty, the only reason I would be driving over is because I could travel further a field if I cant get work in London I can also apply to jobs further out side London, as I wouldn’t be limited by public transport well that is my reasoning for driving over but then if I cant get work in the London not much hope outside LOL

Some real good ideas above thanks Fysh, I got my phone unlocked from Vodafone as soon as I got it for just such a situation all I’ll need to purchase is a PAYG sim unfortunately don’t have a laptop, desktop only :(

Great I have actually been looking for that I will be ringing them to find out how my qualifications will be viewed with employers. but anything just to get set up over there will have to do for the short term

Thanks all I have to do now is decided on a date and stick to it

Again another great one never would have thought of that one this is what’s so great about this site everybody pooling ideas. Just one thing though anybody know of anybody that has used any of these sites in the UK??

Thanks for the help

I heard about them both from people that found tradesmen on it, and through the current advertising campaigns. My neighbour just got her chippy from it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 brianjamesos

no message body

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bjdsos

Lemming wrote: »
    I called up the NI phone line to start the ball rolling as soon as I was made an offer of a job (starting two weeks later), but they wouldn't have any of it and said I had to be 'resident' in the UK before they'd even consider processing an application.

TBH, whilst my employer had no bother with it, the Dept. of Health (for whom I'm working on behalf) were incredibly anal about it and were just an effort to deal with for about two months (which is about how long it took); but my company dealt with most of that for me and fought my corner so other than some mild inconveniences it was alright. I got put on Basic Rate tax (30%) whilst waiting for my NI number, but I'll get the difference back.

I found it very peculiar that the NI folks weren't prepared to process an application. I can appreciate if someone who isn't resident yet doesn't have work lined up, but I did.

Banking, by contrast, was a doddle. In order to get paid, I had to have a UK account but once I showed proof of address (I showed my receipt & letter for temporary accommodation with Unite Students) and a statement from my employer, Lloyds were happy to start the ball rolling. Took a couple of weeks to get the account/card/etc. but no particular issues.

Mobile phone operators however were another kettle of fish; Vodafone wanted three months up front from me for a bill phone because I had no credit history in the UK, and other services were similar.

Just on the mobiles there - I had no probs at the carphone warehouse. All they wanted was a visa debit (which I got from HSBC passort) and an ID. Got a full contract HTC desire for £25 a month, incidentally, and I'm fresh 'off the boat' with no credit history.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

djpbarry wrote: »
    I went with Lloyds too, for the simple reason that no other bank (that I am aware of) would consider my application because I had no history of residence in the UK, giving Lloyds an apparent monopoly on the “new arrivals” market.

I opted against a bill phone for that very reason, although I still had to provide ID and proof of address when collecting my pre-ordered phone from the shop.

On the bank thing, I opened an account with Natwest with no problems as soon as I had an address.

I think I had the same problem with getting a phone contract when I first got here so went with pay as you go. I switched over to a bill after a few months though without any hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Hi guys,

Moving to London in the next month or so, looking for any advice regarding childcare. We have a 3 month old that will need caring for as both myself and my wife will be working. We have looked up nannies but the cost was huge. Any idea of an alternative? I hear that local councils will have info on this, is that true?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

keano_afc wrote: »
    Hi guys,

We have looked up nannies but the cost was huge. Any idea of an alternative? I hear that local councils will have info on this, is that true?
    Advertise in your soon to be local paper:cool:

As for the childminders who are registered with councils,all this means is they have certificates to say their homes are suitable and they have been trained through local goverment,dont be surprised if these childminders insist on a contract while your child is in care,Thats if there are any vacancies at these places.

By the way,everything is expensive in London:):)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 willmcgrath

hi stratus i am in the plumbing game aswell i am in my phase 6 at the moment but i still have 2 years to do on site before i can get my qualifications, i am planning on moveing to london in a few weeks when i finish my phase 6 to try and finish my time there, i am just wondering if you had any luck finding work in london or if there is not alot of work over there
    thanks for your help

hi stratus i am in the plumbing game aswell i am in my phase 6 at the moment but i still have 2 years to do on site before i can get my qualifications, i am planning on moveing to london in a few weeks when i finish my phase 6 to try and finish my time there, i am just wondering if you had any luck finding work in london or if there is not alot of work over there
    thanks for your help

thanks for your help
    Hey will
    I’m not quite there yet but working on it
    I don’t think it’s possible to do that over there, (finish your on the job training) but best thing is to check with Fàs on that one.
    There is always going to be work there I reckon just cuz of the population but it’s the pay and if you can find work before the funds run out (but there are people here in the form that can give you better advice in that regard as some have already moved). You should have a look at some of the job sites and check out what’s going there mostly handy man and multi-skilled both the same if you ask me.
    www.jobsite.co.uk
    www.jobisjob.co.uk

an other thing depending on what county your in it may be worth your while to go up to the north and get a UK pay as you go sim card if you applying for work from here via CV on use the UK number as your contact number as I have found out that a lot of companies the HR have international number blocked or they don’t know how to dial it? Hope this is of some help. And keep thinking outside the box ;)

Hey will
    I’m not quite there yet but working on it
    I don’t think it’s possible to do that over there, (finish your on the job training) but best thing is to check with Fàs on that one.
    There is always going to be work there I reckon just cuz of the population but it’s the pay and if you can find work before the funds run out (but there are people here in the form that can give you better advice in that regard as some have already moved). You should have a look at some of the job sites and check out what’s going there mostly handy man and multi-skilled both the same if you ask me.
    www.jobsite.co.uk
    www.jobisjob.co.uk

an other thing depending on what county your in it may be worth your while to go up to the north and get a UK pay as you go sim card if you applying for work from here via CV on use the UK number as your contact number as I have found out that a lot of companies the HR have international number blocked or they don’t know how to dial it? Hope this is of some help. And keep thinking outside the box ;)

Hi Stratus

Thanks very much for your reply, they told us in fas with the way the econamy is now we can go to england and make up a portfolio of the jobs we worked on and bring it above the board in fetec and they have to give us our papers so hopefully that will work.
    Thanks for the websites and thats a great call on the uk number il defo gikve that one a go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭dragon12

I'm about to start flat-hunting in London because I'll be moving over there to take up a position at the end of this month. Am I likely to need a guarantor?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

dragon12 wrote: »
    I'm about to start flat-hunting in London because I'll be moving over there to take up a position at the end of this month. Am I likely to need a guarantor?

It's hard to say. I have limited experiene in this but here's what I think.

If you go through a letting agent, they will want a reference letter from your employer stating the position, date of commencement, salary etc. If you have some savings to keep you going until you start getting paid, then show them a bank statment indicating that you have these funds. I doubt you'll need a guarantor but I think they might ask for a bigger deposit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

Flat hunting this weekend with the OH who is a North Londoner. She automatically rules out anything lower than Camden and would seemingly rather leave me than consider East. Usually based between Brixton and Peckham (on and off) myself so I'm kinda baulking at the deposits and letting terms of some of the places.

Anyone have any thoughts on Highgate/Kentish/Hampstead kind of direction? Working in Finsbury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 graspoon

Hello

Currently working looking into getting a transfer within the company I currently work for to their London office.

I work in marketing and my other half is a civil engineer, hoping to move to London together but neither of us have a clue where to start. We are both exhausted trying to make a life for ourselves here where there are absolutely no prospects anymore.
    One of the positions I have applied for is based in Bromley.. Anyone know anything about this area? Is it a good base for travelling to/from London (other half may not get a job in same location and will need to travel)

Also, wondering is there are any useful websites equivilent to boards.ie/Daft.ie etc... just to find out as much info before we go.

Great tips here about bank statements, NI card etc :)

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

Two other things I found useful to know:

If you have a Vodafone phone (bill pay or prepaid) and sign up for Vodafone Passport (no extra charge) people in Ireland can call you as if you were in Ireland and you don't pay any roaming fee to receive the call. Handier than messy Skype calls.

Also, if you receive the dole in Ireland (the one where you have been working and paid stamps) you can transfer it to London (or any European country) for 13 weeks while looking for work. They pay it straight into your bank account. The only stipulation is that you have to have been receiving it in Ireland for 4 weeks. Think you can also sign up straight away to get Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit. Can take the sting out of moving over without a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 chloe_coley

This is an excellent thread..thanks for taking the time to write this!!its not long now before my big move so I'll be using this as a guide!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 chloe_coley

It all depends Chloe, but sounds like you have had some practice living in a new country. Keep an eye on this forum for beers/meet ups and recently some of us girls have started meeting up, with plans for people to attend gigs/events/ have lunch out etc. We're a good bunch really :)

On another note to mods; would it be possible maybe to have one 'I'm moving to London' megathead on this forum? Or maybe for it to be considered?

EDIT: Just saw you did it Fysh, ta!

thanks LadyMayBelle....I guess it's simply the fear of the unknown...I've lived in Boston twice for six months at a time so i'm not shy of moving country but somehow London seems a greater move....I'll keep an eye out....high tea would be great :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

If you plan to get work with children (nursery, preschool, primary, high), in the health, medical or social care field as well as some other areas where you will be working with vulnerable people, you must have a CRB check (a Garda clearance basically). You cannot legally apply for this as an individual, so if you are job hunting for work in this field, register with an agency who will apply for it on your behalf (some will charge you for this process), such as Hays, Carefirst, Prospectus etc

If you are offered work somewhere that doesn't request a CRB check, watch yourself as their reputation may not be very good and you have very little to fall back on if all goes wrong.

From Directgov: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Startinganewjob/DG_195809
    Can I start work before my criminal record check is completed?
    This will depend on the employer and the role you have applied for. For example, sometimes for care worker jobs, a check of the lists of people barred from working with vulnerable groups will be made. You will still have to be supervised until your check is processed and completed.

Check with the person who is recruiting you.

It took me 8 weeks to get my enhanced CRB check back, so bear that in mind. I don't think you can apply for it while still living in Ireland, and only some places will consider your Garda Clearance while waiting for the CRB.

thanks LadyMayBelle....I guess it's simply the fear of the unknown...I've lived in Boston twice for six months at a time so i'm not shy of moving country but somehow London seems a greater move....I'll keep an eye out....high tea would be great :P

HIGH TEA! Hurrah! I have been hunting for people who want high tea! Good luck planning and we shall welcome you soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Right, now that we've got the new FAQ thread here, I've merged a bunch of the older "moving to london" threads to make them easier to search.

If you have questions, please post them in the FAQ thread.

Just arrived in London today, will be moving into my new house tomorrow. Thank you all so much :)

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭niamh4626

Hi Chloe

Keep us up to date with how you are getting on. I decided myself over the weekend that I'm sick of my dead end job here in Dublin and I'm looking at moving to London myself in the next 6-8 weeks once I have tied up all my loose ends etc. I'm quite looking forward to it and what's even better is there are a good few jobs in my profession over there too.

I'm thinking about living in Clapham or maybe Elephant and Castle..... Any thoughts on either of those areas or should I organise a job first and then look for accommodation?? I'm thinking of booking a flight the week after next and come over for 4 days to try get interviews in.

I have a couple of family members in London but none really that I am close to so I will certainly be coming out for boards drinks as soon as I arrive!

Any advise about the move greatly appreciated, also, depending on area, I know the price of rent varies but how much should I expect to be making to live comfortably in London?

Niamh

niamh4626 wrote: »
    Any advise about the move greatly appreciated, also, depending on area, I know the price of rent varies but how much should I expect to be making to live comfortably in London?

Niamh

That depends on your profession :)
    Would you be looking at your own place, or a house/flat share situation Niamh?

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭niamh4626

Hi LadyMayBelle,

I would be looking for a house share, to get to know some people over there so I'm not too lonely!!

I'm an estate agent in Ireland so would like to get in to the property field over there. There are tons of jobs available from what I can see on some of the jobs websites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

This is a question more out of curiosity, but is it normal to have your National Insurance proof of identity interview outside of your local area? Mine is a good bit away from where I live despite giving my postcode. However, it isn't too long a wait.

Other than that I'm liking it here so far, but it will take a bit more time to get settled in properly.

philologos wrote: »
    This is a question more out of curiosity, but is it normal to have your National Insurance proof of identity interview outside of your local area? Mine is a good bit away from where I live despite giving my postcode. However, it isn't too long a wait.

Other than that I'm liking it here so far, but it will take a bit more time to get settled in properly.

Yeah, I went to my 'local' Job centre and they sent me half way across London to the right office..we actually chatted about this at one of the meet ups and how ridiculous it seems!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

philologos wrote: »

Yeah thats normal, it really takes about a year to settle in, welcome to the big smoke.

Advertisement