Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cesarean or (natural) birth

Options
  • 21-02-2011 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

Hi ladies,

My wife is pregers at the mo :D:D (CANT WAIT) and we where talking about which would be easier!!!

I know neither are easy:o:o but I was wondering what your experience,s have been...

And if you where to choose which way would you pick?????:o

THANKS

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

The Ladies Lounge exists for women to discuss things from a female perspective, rather than as a place to poll for female opinion so I've moved your post to parenting. /mod

Speaking as a mother of two - au natural every time. Sections involve 7 layers of stitches, agony just sitting up or walking for weeks, numbness along my belly to this day, no driving for weeks...it's often viewed as the easy option by some but my reality couldn't be further from that myth.

All the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I've had 2, one natural and one with epidural. For me the first was painful but not unbearable the second coupled with other problems needed some pain meds.

My sister has had 2, one natural and one c-section, for her the natural way, even with epidural, was unbearable and caused a lot of muscle damage so her second she was allowed to choose a c section which she was delighted with and although a different type of pain was much better suited to her.

Sister in law one has had all 3 types, c-section due to breech, completely natural and epidural and as far as I recall she preferred the epidural, then I have another sister in law who had no choice but to have c-section due to her size.

Anyway with the examples above the point I am trying to make is the fact that everybody is different, for me the eassiest was completely natural and I was lucky enough to have a 2 hour delivery but for someone else that would be torture whereas I couldnt stomach a section and others would dream of one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Just going to move this into the Pregnancy forum. You'll get some better responses in here...

My opinion is natural all the way, I had an emergency c section on my first and a natural on my second and loved the way I could be up and about very early after having number 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Natural (with epi) I was up an walking 5 hrs afterwards. I enjoyed all my visitors and had a great time. The 2 section ladies across from me were bed-ridden.

One lady had 3 kids all by section, she went home on the 4th day, that was the only day I saw her walk without obvious pain. The other girl has an emergency section and was not sitting up in bed talking for 3 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

3 natural births with gas and air, up walking around and in the shower within the hour.. too quick for any other pain relief..:) Cesareans are major surgery and it takes up to 6 weeks before you can get back to normal like driving etc.. I wouldn't opt for one unless it was absolutely necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Am keeping my fingers crossed that I'll get through it naturally with gas and air. Really don't want a c section if I can avoid it at all, and the thought of an epi freaks me out a bit! :o
    In saying that I could be begging for one come August! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭dollyk

I have 6 children, 3 natural, 3 c section. natural with the epo is the way to go, as you are mobile very quick, but c section if necessary because of complications, it just takes longer to recover, and worse if you smoke, as the cough from stopping is a killer.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Everybody is different and we have all had different experiences of birth. I had an elective c-section 6 weeks ago and I have to say I'd go that way again (it was my first so I have nothing to compare it to). I had a spinal anaesthetic and that is going to confine you to the bed for the day. I went into the hospital on Fri morning, was walking around on Saturday and went home on Sunday. I was more uncomfortable that in pain for the few days (I have a whole packet of vicodin that was prescribed but I never used) - I was out driving and shopping on the Wednesday with no problems.

My scar is about 4-5 inches long and currently a smooth red line that should fade to white. My doctor took his time sewing up each layer carefully and put Dermabond on it to seal it so I could shower. 6 weeks later and I have no pain at all and I have full sensation along my lower abdomen (this did take about 3 weeks to come back).

Now, my surgery was elective so I didn't have to labour before going into theatre. I also don't have anything to compare it too. As I said in the beginning everybody's exeriences will be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I think it's minimum 4 days after a section here. Not sure about the dermabond.

I can't imagine trying to lift a baby from her crib into the bed with a wound in my stomach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I think it's minimum 4 days after a section here.
    There's no 'rule', although there may be hospital common practice it's entirely up to your doctor when he wants to discharge you.
    Not sure about the dermabond.
    Again this is a doctor-specific kind of thing. I just mentioned it as it's much nicer to be able to shower and if anyone was going for a scheduled section they could ask their doctor to use it.
    I can't imagine trying to lift a baby from her crib into the bed with a wound in my stomach.
    The wound is much lower, if you were wearing low-rise knickers it would just be above the top of them. As I said I personally had very little pain and had no problems sitting up or lifting the baby by the time I got home - obviously it is still surgery and you have to be careful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭SanFran07

darrenon wrote: »
    Hi ladies,

My wife is pregers at the mo :D:D (CANT WAIT) and we where talking about which would be easier!!!

I know neither are easy:o:o but I was wondering what your experience,s have been...

And if you where to choose which way would you pick?????:o

THANKS

Congrats to you both! It's such an incredibly exciting time. Putting aside whats considered 'easier' - the safest birth for a healthy Mum and baby is the old fashioned vaginal birth. Although with Ireland's rising caesarean rate you do have an excellent chance of ending up with one depending on where you give birth and what the policies of the hospital are (especially around induction of labour).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

There's no 'rule', although there may be hospital common practice it's entirely up to your doctor when he wants to discharge you.

Again this is a doctor-specific kind of thing. I just mentioned it as it's much nicer to be able to shower and if anyone was going for a scheduled section they could ask their doctor to use it.

The wound is much lower, if you were wearing low-rise knickers it would just be above the top of them. As I said I personally had very little pain and had no problems sitting up or lifting the baby by the time I got home - obviously it is still surgery and you have to be careful.

I couldnt get up to get to the baby for three days. I was on a catheter for kidney failure too.

I had an epi and general. Morphine and then vicoden too.

Just to add - there is a huge difference in having a caesarean in an Irish hospital and an American one. It's a regular occurance that post surgical Mums in Ireland are left to rely on other Mums to help them get their babies during the night due to lack of staff on the night shift.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

SanFran07 wrote: »
    Just to add - there is a huge difference in having a caesarean in an Irish hospital and an American one. It's a regular occurance that post surgical Mums in Ireland are left to rely on other Mums to help them get their babies during the night due to lack of staff on the night shift.

:confused: Got any proof of that?

Somehow I don't think maternity hospitals in the country would condone the practice of Mum's wandering around helping themselves to other people's babies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

We're planning a natural (oxygen and gas only) home birth (35 weeks plus 5 completed now so in the home stretch). From research I've done, from personal experience (my mother had my two youngest siblings at home) and from speaking to mothers I know who have experienced birth in all of it's various forms from no intervention to maximum intervention it seems the best, safest and most positive experience for mother, father (other children) and baby.

Hospital birth is always there as a backup option if there are any complications later in pregnancy or during labour.

However, I think that it also depends very much on the parents. I'm comfortable with my pregnancy, in good health and confident that my body is capable of carrying and delivering this baby and so is my husband.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Will you have a doula or midwife with you Squiggler?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Will you have a doula or midwife with you Squiggler?

A self-employed community midwife, and the HSE are paying the majority of the costs (my health insurance covers all of the rest).

Our midwife is a man. He's great, and both me and my husband feel very comfortable with him. Another advantage is that all the antenatal visits are in our home and they last as long as they need to, if we have questions or concerns we can raise them and have a proper discussion about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Mezcita wrote: »

Somehow I don't think maternity hospitals in the country would condone the practice of Mum's wandering around helping themselves to other people's babies.

I'm not sure that's what SanFran meant exactly but when I had my first daughter by emergency c section in 2008, I had to ask another mum if she could lift my baby to me because I had called the nurse 3/4 times and no help had come in nearly 15 minutes. It was the middle of the night so thankfully there was another mum awake at the same time as me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

I had my boy naturally. I never considered c-section to be an option, it is what happens when things go wrong, not something you would inflict on yourself or your child by choice (in my opinion, others may have had positive elective experiences). C-section on a first baby usually comes about because of medical complications, not choice. The only time it should actually be a choice is where a woman has previously had a c-section due to complications or there is a risk to the baby, and even then, it's not exactly a choice. VBACs (vaginal birth after cesarean) are difficult to come by in Ireland, so many women on subsequent births are offered elective sections when in reality a natural birth is not on the cards for them at all.

Personally, I hope never to have a c-section. I was induced on my lad and had him after 4 hours of labour using gas and air. I'm glad I didn't get the epi, there's evidence to suggest that it and other interventions can slow down labour a lot. Others swear by it, but I really felt I didn't need it. My labour was short and sharp but at least it was over quickly!

If I were you, I'd focus now on getting the right kind of antenatal care. Midwife-led care is amazing if you are in an area that offers it. Go to antenatal classes, try hypnobirthing (both of you), get your wife to do pregnancy yoga etc. C-sections should only figure as a worst-case scenario. There is only a small chance that one might feature in the very last 20mins of the last day of this 9-month journey - definitely not something to be stressing about at this stage. Enjoy the ride!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

It's seems to be a common assumption that c Sections are the easy way out. I know I certainly did, before I had one. But oh my god, if you can give birth naturally, do it! I found the section so awful. I assumed that you would feel nothing because you'd be numb, but whilst there is no pain, you do feel what's going on and it nearly made me hurl!

For me the pain element didn't come in to it. I was up and walking around the day after, the wound is so neat and so low that it only causes a problem if underwear grazes off it. And I had no probs lifting my son. In fact the people who had episiotomies seemed to have been in far worse state than me :D:D

For me the problems are psychological, I often wonder if you've given birth naturally do you feel a sense of accomplishment more...like you've earned every hair on the child's head, that you didn't have to be helped out.

i guess I'll have to try again and find out ;)

• Advertisement

SanFran07 wrote: »

i completely disagree with this. I was checked on and helped out whenever i needed it. Even having showers, one nurse sat with the boy and fed him while I had one. The night after a section the baby is taken off you because you can't leave the bed and the nurses look after him/her.

I hope you don't mind me saying, but you seem to be very critical of midwifery care in Ireland and I'm not sure why?

i completely disagree with this. I was checked on and helped out whenever i needed it. Even having showers, one nurse sat with the boy and fed him while I had one. The night after a section the baby is taken off you because you can't leave the bed and the nurses look after him/her.
    Yeah the staff in UCHG were great too. I had my magic button to summon them whenever I needed them and they came. Kept my baby with me though and just had him in the bed with me (I didn't have general anaesthetic so this was fine)
    I hope you don't mind me saying, but you seem to be very critical of midwifery care in Ireland and I'm not sure why?

I don't think there's a problem with pointing out shortcomings in the Irish system, even if they're not universal. Someone above said that this tallies with their experience. I'm of the opinion it's good to know these things might happen beforehand.

Yeah the staff in UCHG were great too. I had my magic button to summon them whenever I needed them and they came. Kept my baby with me though and just had him in the bed with me (I didn't have general anaesthetic so this was fine)

I don't think there's a problem with pointing out shortcomings in the Irish system, even if they're not universal. Someone above said that this tallies with their experience. I'm of the opinion it's good to know these things might happen beforehand.

lol, the magic button wasn't the morphine one was it? ;)

My comment to SanFran wasn't solely in relation to this thread, but just something I've noticed on a general basis. I was just curious as to where it stems from. But I'm sure s/he is capable of responding, if s/he feels like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

It's seems to be a common assumption that c Sections are the easy way out. I know I certainly did, before I had one. But oh my god, if you can give birth naturally, do it! I found the section so awful. I assumed that you would feel nothing because you'd be numb, but whilst there is no pain, you do feel what's going on and it nearly made me hurl!

For me the pain element didn't come in to it. I was up and walking around the day after, the wound is so neat and so low that it only causes a problem if underwear grazes off it. And I had no probs lifting my son. In fact the people who had episiotomies seemed to have been in far worse state than me :D:D

For me the problems are psychological, I often wonder if you've given birth naturally do you feel a sense of accomplishment more...like you've earned every hair on the child's head, that you didn't have to be helped out.

i guess I'll have to try again and find out ;)

I didnt want a section. I wanted my son to come out fighting. I wanted him to have a normal birth where he screams so his lungs get clear. Instead he got the crap beaten out of him and stuck under a jaundice lamp. I wanted him to have the normal hormonal release so he could be placed on my chest immediately and start rooting. Instead he was taken from me and a bunch of strangers were the first to handle him, not his mother and he didnt have contact with his mother for hours. I wanted my body to get a signal that the baby was born, so that the appropriate hormones kicked in and my breasts would work. Instead I had a fourth trimester and a child with some symptoms of pre maturity and defunct enormous breasts.

I didnt want a section. I wanted my son to come out fighting. I wanted him to have a normal birth where he screams so his lungs get clear. Instead he got the crap beaten out of him and stuck under a jaundice lamp. I wanted him to have the normal hormonal release so he could be placed on my chest immediately and start rooting. Instead he was taken from me and a bunch of strangers were the first to handle him, not his mother and he didnt have contact with his mother for hours. I wanted my body to get a signal that the baby was born, so that the appropriate hormones kicked in and my breasts would work. Instead I had a fourth trimester and a child with some symptoms of pre maturity and defunct enormous breasts.

I didn't want a section either and it sucks that that's their first experience of life, that the baby is whisked off and you don't get to hold him/her for hours and then you go to recovery and the baby is with who knows, instead of it's mum. My hubby knew more about him in his first few hours than I did. But it makes it all worth while when you finally do get to hold him/her.

If the OP reads your post, I hope it convinces them to go for the natural route xxx

lol, the magic button wasn't the morphine one was it? ;)
    No the buzzer. ;)
    My comment to SanFran wasn't solely in relation to this thread, but just something I've noticed on a general basis. I was just curious as to where it stems from. But I'm sure s/he is capable of responding, if s/he feels like it.

Well if it's not in relation to this topic maybe PM would be the way to go, it would be dragging the thread off topic otherwise.

Mezcita wrote: »

AIMS Ireland have done quite a bit of work in relation to improving Irish maternity care - you might find this article interesting on the 'rooming in' policy and how some Mums were left to cope alone with very little staff support. There's a severe shortage of Midwifery staff in nearly all Maternity units.

http://www.aimsireland.com/files/AIMSI_Rooming_In_Survey_October_08.pdf

For anyone interested in the findings of the HSE funded KPMG report on the 3 Dublin hospitals and how understaffed they are.

http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/Publications/services/Hospitals/Independent_Review_of_Maternity_and_Gynaecology_Services_in_the_greater_Dublin_area_.pdf

No the buzzer. ;)

Well if it's not in relation to this topic maybe PM would be the way to go, it would be dragging the thread off topic otherwise.

I never said it wasn't in relation to this topic, is said it wasn't SOLELY in relation to this topic. Either way, it was a question directed at San Fran. I don't see why you saw fit to answer for another poster, but if San Fran feels she wants to address my question that's up to her, it was a simple observation on her posts, no need to make an issue out of it or drag the thread off course with it.

Hannibal I was giving instruction as a mod of this forum. I will ask again, please do not drag this thread off topic by challenging another user in relation to their general posting style

• Advertisement

Hannibal I was giving instruction as a mod of this forum. I will ask again, please do not drag this thread off topic by challenging another user in relation to their general posting style

:confused: I didn't drag this thread off topic, I asked another poster a question, which you answered and I replied to your reply to me.

You maybe a moderator of this forum, but that does not give you authority to reply to answer for another poster. Nor does it give you authority to accuse a poster of 'challenging' behaviour simply because they posed a question to another poster.

I have said to you time and time again, if San Fran wants to answer my question or not it's up to them. I do not see why you are taking issue with this. I am not breaching any rule, or disrupting the forum in any way, I asked another poster a question.

I'm going to report this to other moderators for their feedback, because it seems you are using your position as mod totally incorrectly here.

Advertisement