Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cesarean or (natural) birth

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭darrenon

Thanks for all the response,s (longest thread I`ve read).....

My wife had a difficult birth on our first and was adviced to never have a natural birth again....... That was 4 years ago.

She really didnt want to have a cesarean, so we went for a consult and they told us the risks on both counts....

Long story made short.. we,ll be having a growth scan done closer to due date and we,ll decide then.

Thanks again for everyone,s input:D

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭SanFran07

Best of luck with everything....now we'll have to get a Vaginal birth after c section thread going :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Just wondered how things worked out in the end?

Funny thing last week thre was a story on sky news where they now want the NHS to offer c-sections to anyone who wants one. Might be introduced in the very near future. It reminded me of this thread......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

Whatever happens, it will never happen here. Women here can't even get 12 week scans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Funny thing last week thre was a story on sky news where they now want the NHS to offer c-sections to anyone who wants one. Might be introduced in the very near future. It reminded me of this thread......

That's balanced though with the situation with the NHS in Northern Ireland, where the NI health minister is saying that anyone who wants one for non-medical reasons can have one, but they will have to pay for it themselves with no contribution at all from the public system. Fair enough really, if it's not medically necessary why should the taxpayer have to pay for it? Then again, 'medically necessary' is such a contested term that it's hard to see how they'll implement such a plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Missy1981

did you decide what you are going to do yet. What hospital are you going to?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

They were discussing the "To Posh to Push" thing on Newstalk earlier in the week, because some report had figures which said C-sections were more common in the private sector.

It was very interesting, as they had the next Master of Holles Street talking about it and she was saying that without more detailed data the assumption that it is all about "to posh to push" is a bit premature. She was saying you need to know:

* The age profile of the women in these case
    * Whether it is their 1st/2nd/3rd child etc
    * Did they have fertility treatment (which can often result in multiple births)
    * Some people will use private care because of health problems or previous complications with pregnancy.

Basically she was saying a lot of the women who use private care would be older then those who don't, they may also be having their 2nd or 3rd child, possibly after a previous c-section(s). Also because of the age gap across the two demographics you are more likely to encounter multiple births because of fertility treatment, which increases the risk of needing a c-section. A section of people choose private care because have other health issues, or previous complications with pregnancy - so they decide to go private with the view they will receive better care. These people may be at a higher risk of c-sections due to those health issues and/or previous pregnancy complications.

I thought it was very interesting, adding a bit more detail to the sweeping statements that the rates are only higher because people who pay for private are to posh to push.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭battleaxe88

My lil girls 2, I had an emergency C-Section. Think i got lucky, I had no discomfort whatsoever afterwards, so much so I didnt take any painkillers afterwards. I did feel I missed out a bit though as I had to wait bout 45 mins before I could hold her as I was being stitched back up. I do hope i can have a natural birth if i ever have another one but Im not against a section, I just wouldn't op for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭estar

this thread scared me a lot in parts, what with all the citations, etc as i have adopted an ostrich approach until now. a recent gathering of mothers discussing births shocked me into research action - i had never heard of an episiotomy until then, which i would really like to avoid. i have never been into a hospital before either, having never been ill or had an operation in my life. also i have a terrible feeling im going to be a freaker at the idea of stitches etc, as i am not really very good at entrusting myself into the hands of others.

the idea of an unnecessary operation or general anaesthetic or a lot of hormones also doesnt fill me with glee. i dont like medication at the best of times, and generally avoid it.

i am attending an obstetrician. however now im after going and reading a book by tracey donegan about natural non rushed births, and it all made sense to me. my question is - has anyone experienced a private gynae led birth and a more natural birth? which was better?

are the staff going to just take over once labour starts and start doing things to me, and how best can i prepare for the process to regain some control and even footing without having to read through medical journals?

will the gynaecologist be really anti the idea of a non medicalised birth, and can the teams in the private system support that kind of process - where you are left alone unless you need interventions?

im going to prepare a list of questions for him. i dont know if that book is an idealised scenario of birth though. it doesnt recommend any intervention that isnt natural., unless in an emergency.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

estar wrote: »
    i am attending an obstetrician. however now im after going and reading a book by tracey donegan about natural non rushed births, and it all made sense to me. my question is - has anyone experienced a private gynae led birth and a more natural birth? which was better?

are the staff going to just take over once labour starts and start doing things to me, and how best can i prepare for the process to regain some control and even footing without having to read through medical journals?

will the gynaecologist be really anti the idea of a non medicalised birth, and can the teams in the private system support that kind of process - where you are left alone unless you need interventions?

im going to prepare a list of questions for him. i dont know if that book is an idealised scenario of birth though. it doesnt recommend any intervention that isnt natural., unless in an emergency.

I can't comment on the prive gyn led birth, but I have had 3 births. the first was an induction, so a consultant led team. as i was induced all my choices were more or less taken away from me. Not a good story, ended in an emergency cs after 14 hrs. 10 day hospital stay followed with infection.
    I also found tracys book and cds on my second 3 yrs ago. Due to potential complications i was not sure i would have a vbac (vaginal birth after cs) until 34wks. When i was confirmed i concentrated on the gentle birth cds and had a gentle birth at 40wks 3days. The staff were quite supportive as it was a natural labor and they worked with me.
    On no 3 the staff were completely supportive of the gentle approach, they gave us plenty of time and space and we had a fast drug free, calm labor and birth. in fairness i only saw my consultant 2 times during the entire pregnancy and when i mentioned a natural approach to vbac she was all for it.
    I think tracy is on the money in terms of what she says re drugs and procedures etc.
    I was lucky i think that i was with midwife led teams for combined care on all 3 pregnancies, IMO they treat pregnancy and birth as very natural events.
    talk to your consultant, if they will give you the time and gauge their attitude, but basically they have to do want you want and have to respect your choices.

• Advertisement
Advertisement