Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N3 - Belturbet Bypass

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭nordydan

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    It shouldnt be a national primary route anyway.
    Nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

I forgot to mention in my post yesterday that a contractor has been selected for enabling works (hedge removal and erecting fencing) and this should begin in the next week or two. It is set to last six weeks after which time a contractor should be chosen for the main contract.

I dont think it will be 2+2 and there is no need for this. It shouldnt be a national primary route anyway.

Why not? Enniskillen and Cavan are bigger than Castlebar and Westport.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Why not? Enniskillen and Cavan are bigger than Castlebar and Westport.

Why should it be? Just because it is currently a national primary route it should remain so?

It is that kind of attitude that will see the M7/8 and M20 built at twice the length of motorway and twice the cost than it should have been. Gombeen politics means every one horse town in this country gets motorway access (still happening, look at Buttevant). The national routes should have been redrawn before we started building any motorways which would have significantly reduced the no of km of motorway needed in which case we could have built a complete motorway network for less than the cost of the network we have currently.

I am not saying the Belturbet bypass should bot be built, I just dont think it should be a national primary route. See post #21 on this thread for how I think the N3 should be developed.

It basically means combining two national primary route into one but is quite a narrow corridor and all the main towns on the route would still be served. But because the road is now serving the counties of Cavan, Leitrim and Sligo, as well as north Roscommon and sout Donegal, it would justify a higher spec and because we are developing one road instead of two it offers better value for money. See post #7 for more.

I heard that the PT McWilliams/Ferrovial JV submitted the lowest bid for this project but no contract has been awarded yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Does anybody have a bloody map of this scheme?

Can't find one anywhere :mad:

• Advertisement

Wild Bill wrote: »

As I said before, this is a design and build so the NRA dont have any plans, it is up to the contractor to produce them. I described the route it takes in post #28 but that probably isnt much good to you unless you know the area.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Based on detailed description of the scheme by the NRA I've drawn it on my site.

spacetweek wrote: »
    Based on detailed description of the scheme by the NRA I've drawn it on my site.

Good effort spacetweek, one thing, the new road will be more direct than you have drawn it. The bends at Annagh Lough will be taken out and the road will continue in a north-westerly direction from the end of the straight section on the Cavan side. It will cross the existing road at Aghnaguig.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Good effort spacetweek, one thing, the new road will be more direct than you have drawn it. The bends at Annagh Lough will be taken out and the road will continue in a north-westerly direction from the end of the straight section on the Cavan side. It will cross the existing road at Aghnaguig.
    Thanks, I've updated.
    That's great actually, the whole route from Cavan town to the border will be straight now. The standard for this section at least will be as good as it needs to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 clangy

I stumbled across the Non-technical Summary of the Environmental Impact Statement for the N3 Belturbet Bypass Scheme hiding away in Cavan County Council's website. Surprisingly there is no link to the document from the roads section of their site.

The document contains some good plans detailing the exact alignment and layout of the proposed road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭theCaffers

Anyone know who won the tender for the Belturbet Bypass?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 g buckley

theCaffers wrote: »
    Anyone know who won the tender for the Belturbet Bypass?
    tp mc williams from the north, so there will be now jobs for people in the south:

thats exactly why I asked! Heard that. Did the newspapers pick up on this story? Everybody down there is unemployed and watching out the window as tons of Nordies walk around with all the jobs and contracts. What muppets we have in government. Thats an absolute scandal and makes me angry. We were well into the recession when those contracts were up for tender . I checked - it was 2010.

PT McWilliams from up the North while all our builders and contractors are drawing the dole??????? How much cheaper was their bid? did they add on the cost of social welfare, lost revenue in taxes??

what muppets give our biggest contracts to foreign companies?

Foreign companies? There are EU procurement laws but even aside from that words could not (within the bounds of what is acceptable on the forum) be found to describe my contempt for this partionist mentality.
    :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭nordydan

PT McWilliams from up the North while all our builders and contractors are drawing the dole??????? How much cheaper was their bid? did they add on the cost of social welfare, lost revenue in taxes??

Cop yourself on

pretty lame answer nordylan. 'cop yerself on'. Give me better

id say your profile is a building contractor who votes fianna fail..

typical who'd be on this section of the forum of course.

out

Quick English lesson for the lads above:

Foreign
    –adjective
    located outside a specific district, province, etc.

Think you'll find theres nothing wrong with that statement...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Irish companies are free to bid, and do bid, for projects across the entire European Union.
    Foreign companies? There are EU procurement laws but even aside from that words could not (within the bounds of what is acceptable on the forum) be found to describe my contempt for this partionist mentality.
    :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Save your wrath Bill. People are allowed to be partitionist if they so wish and in any case partition has nothing to do with this thread.

Ahem.

Now, put down the handbags gentlemen ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Foreign
    –adjective
    located outside a specific district, province, etc.

Indeed. It would be tragic if a non-Ulster "foreign" company had won this contract. Fortunately, this seems not to have happened.

I suggest Mr Caffers knew who had won the contract and asked the question only for the purposes of stirring up trouble.

Anyhow, back to to thread. The Cavan County Council document kindly posted by Clangy has "clanger" or two

for instance (page vi)
    The proposed road improvement will improve connection to County Fermanagh and south County Donegal, so providing an alternative route instead of the N54 route via Sligo.

Not quite sure what this means, as the N54 goes to Monaghan? Probably meant the N4.

Good scheme though, and the type of infill of the network that needs to continue.

• Advertisement

Save your wrath Bill. People are allowed to be partitionist if they so wish and in any case partition has nothing to do with this thread.

You will please note that I didn't introduce partitionism to this thread; I merely responded.

People are allowed to respond to partionist statements if they so wish, to paraphrase someone up above.

:cool:

I'll take it you are also in favour of all Irish companies operating in UK, Poland, Middle East, etc. being excluded from tendering over there?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,829 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

ardmacha wrote: »

Anyhow, back to to thread. The Cavan County Council document kindly posted by Clangy has "clanger" or two

for instance (page vi)
    The proposed road improvement will improve connection to County Fermanagh and south County Donegal, so providing an alternative route instead of the N54 route via Sligo.

Not quite sure what this means, as the N54 goes to Monaghan? Probably meant the N4.

Good scheme though, and the type of infill of the network that needs to continue.
    The N54 reference is probably the alternative route to Donegal, via Lisnaskea, Maguiresbridge and north of Lough Erne, which also effectively by-passes the worst of Enniskillen too.
    http://maps.google.de/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Butlersbridge,+County+Cavan,+Ireland&daddr=54.3033,-7.48264+to:donegal+town&geocode=FXOnOAMdmWuP_ymhunQXEBJeSDGA5DGXqccACg%3BFUSaPAMd8NKN_ymRM9z4LzleSDEBfsqesj8PEw%3BFRf2QQMdhj2E_ykXHP0XM6hfSDGwdDGXqccACg&hl=en&mra=dpe&mrsp=1&sz=10&via=1&sll=54.371759,-7.492676&sspn=0.51438,1.680908&ie=UTF8&ll=54.287675,-7.288055&spn=0.662135,1.783905&z=10

Its the route that the McGeehans busses direct to Donegal took before they started the association with Bus Eireann, so its more than a viable route to get to Donegal town quickly.

EDIT: the sligo reference is indeed probably some sort of mis print

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭oharach

pretty lame answer nordylan. 'cop yerself on'. Give me better

out

Ok then.

Since the project constitutes a 'building site' which will last more than 6 months, the N Ireland company will be considered to have a permanent establishment in Ireland, and will be taxable on profits resulting from the project like any other Irish company. Any workers seconded from N Ireland, presuming they are there for more than 183 days in the tax year, will be taxed on their employment at ROI rates. This all boils down to the UK-Ireland tax treaty.

There's really no issue of losing tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

EDIT: the sligo reference is indeed probably some sort of mis print

They might reasonably have said N4 via Sligo or N54 via Newtownbutler as alternative routes to south Donegal. No matter, the N3 improvements will enhance the direct route.

what the hell??

from page ii re: NEED FOR THE SCHEME
    The National Development Plan 2000 – 2006 (NDP)
    includes the objective of providing further major improvement
    to the N3 (Dublin/Belturbet/Enniskillen/Derry) route.
    Wierd.
    I never knew the N3 was a strategic road to Derry!!

UPDATE:
    Improvements to N3 Butlersbridge to Belturbet Road to start in May
    Apr 12 2011

A major road improvement scheme in County Cavan has taken a significant step.

A contractor has been appointed for the planned works on the N3 Butlersbridge to Belturbet road.

The project will cost in the region of €36 million euro and will involve the construction of approximately 7 kilometres of single-carriageway road, including a bypass of Belturbet Town.

Work is now expected to begin on the site in May of this year and last for about two years.
    http://www.northernsound.ie/news-details.php?nid=6467&action=newsdetails

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I was up in Enniskillen and was driving along this route today and it looks like they have already started clearing vegetation and trees where the route will join the end of the N3 Cavan Bypass section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 send her on

Its startin' on Tuesday

• Advertisement

Its startin' on Tuesday

So it starts today then?

Advertisement