Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hill near Daingean

Options
  • 04-06-2008 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭

There is a hill near Daingean, i can see it from Rochfortbridge and its not too far from Tyrrellspass either. Im just wondering a few things. Is that called Mount lucas or am i way off? Also i noticed driving by there is a sign for St Patricks well (way too many of these in this country) so whats there?
    Also is there a way up for hikers without crossing farmers lands etc?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭offaly1

Is that not Croghan Hill??

as far as i know you can climb it, but i could be wrong there..as i aint from daingean...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Croghan Hill it is.. thats great to know.. An extinct Valcano no less according to Wikipedia.
    Will have to search for a way up some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭offaly1

a volcano...you gotta be kidding me!!!!!:eek::eek: Imagine that!!

Im nearly sure you can walk it...i've heard people say they climbed it but i don't know if its a certain day like reek sunday when you climb croagh patrick...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Hi guys,

you can climb ol Croghan Hill any day. If you go around the back, there's a way up. The landowners are friendly. Croghan Hill is the supposed birthplace of St Brigid. The sun also rises from directly behind it on Equinox days. When viewed from Uisneach, the sacred centre of Ireland. Which i pretty cool, if you're into that> Which I am.

Was once on Croghan and met some goelogists from Canadian exploration company, around the time that Croagh Patrick was being touted as gold and diamond Shangri-La. It is, in fact. And Croghan may be too. It fell extinct during the carboniferous era, which is just as well for the locals and for the rest of us if we can't get our emissions under control and keep getting hit by EU fines :pac:

Croghan is an amazing place. Home to John Hogan, C&W allstar! But you should also take a hike up to Uisneach also. A very special place. Only when you're up there, does it make sense.
    offaly1 wrote: »
    a volcano...you gotta be kidding me!!!!!:eek::eek: Imagine that!!

Im nearly sure you can walk it...i've heard people say they climbed it but i don't know if its a certain day like reek sunday when you climb croagh patrick...:confused:

I never knew there were so many interesting places so close to my house. My brother in law in the US would wet his pants if he knew. He is big into Irish mythology. He was just over but only had time to spend an hour in my house and i did not even know about those two hills. He had wanted to go up to Knockbridge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭pubpub

just an extra little bit of info on Croghan Hill - St. Patrick 's horse is supposed to have landed on a particular spot and there is where water sprouted up (St. Patrick's well)

Old Croghan bog man was recently found in a bog in Croghan I remember there was a fantastic documentary on RTE and Discovery about it - but anyway it was traced back to pre-christian times and they mentioned the fact that to this day on St. Patrick's day when people climb the hill they also burn bushes (I remember doing this myself on St. Patrick's day) and this too is a pre-christian ritual! Here is a link to the local national school which has local history - I haven't read through it myself but there should be lots of info http://www.croghannationalschool.com/lhist/hindex.html

http://www.croghannationalschool.com/lhist/history.html

also look at http://www.croghannationalschool.com/lhist/patrick.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭jezza

Oh now! Croghan Hill :/ I climed that with my bro ages ago. Crikey. Twas savage craic. Esp if you're an idiot and fall on the way down, cuts the walkin distance no end.
    And St. Bridget was a croghan woman? Good lord.

I did not even know the Turf/bog by me was actually the Bog of Allen, i had heard of it many a time but did not think i lived right beside it.. in my defense im not a local, im a Dublin Ex pat due to much cheaper housing in 2005 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Climbed the Hill a few times myself. You can head up from the village side itself, at Croghan Stores. The view from the top is quite breathtaking, as you can see all the way to south Offaly/East Galway on a clear day.

Be careful if you do decide to 'fall' down, as the majority of the bushes on it are those thick thorny ones usually found in boggy meadows. ;)

Seanie.

Cool, that explains the bus load of Tourists (looked like Americans) i saw stopped there on the way to Castle Barna on Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Mount Lucas OY

Mount Lucas is the hill near Daingean . Its old irish name is Drumcaw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Mount Lucas is the hill near Daingean . Its old irish name is Drumcaw

Nope, it IS "Croghan Hill" Mount Lucas is a hinterland 4 miles outside Daingean on the way to Edenderry. However, there is a hill (large mound?) in that area, behind the 'business park' located there. Maybe that is the 'mount' referred to in the area?

Seanie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mount Lucas OY

ok sorry .:rolleyes: But Mount Lucas { Drumcaw } is brill .,.,.,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Scawgeen

While ye're talking about hills...is Uiseach and Rosemount Hill ( don't know the old name ofr this ) one and the same ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

I grew up in Rhode and so climbed Croghan Hill many times. It is class and you can see the Hill of Tara, Meath on a clear day. It is an extinct volcano too. You can climb it from Croghan Stores. There is a small lane that runs up the hill about halfway that leads to a house. There is a gate there to get into the grass area. Every St Patrick's day it is traditional to climb the hill and burn the bushes. There is a graveyard to the rhs of the hill which is ancient. On the other side is St Patrick's well where his horse is supposed to have jumped off the top of the hill and where the horse's hooves landed a spring of water shot up. You can follow the dirt track around to the right to bring you back to Croghan Stores instead of having to climb it again.

Croghan Hill is also attributed to being the birthplace of the River Boyne. A small river called the Yellow river runs from Croghan across the bog and under the Rhode - Rochfortbridge road approx 2 miles from Rhode village.

Croghan used to also have a very good theatrical group in the hall on the Tyrellspass road back in the 1990's.

Back in the late 1980's the IRA used a very large forest on the Tyrellspass road as a training ground. There was a burnt out car there with a 6 inch hole from side to side where it looked like they used a RPG or mortar. The round went straight through the car and straight through a tree as well. Was fascinating when I was a kid.

If ye have kids I suggest take them bog hopping. We used to run from Croghan over to near Rochfortbridge hopping the large ditches. Its better if the bog is wet and the ditches are full of water. Good craic. Sometimes we used to be very bold and jump on the Bord na Mona trains to hitch a lift. At one stage we used to swim in the canal too till we found a dead sheep in the water about 100 yds from where we were swimming. We stopped after that!!!!!!

Croghan Hill also featured in the film "This is my Father " with actors Aidan Quinn and James Caan. A great and very sad film. There is a scene where the young American lad opens the curtains of his bedroom to see the old power station towers of Rhode and he said something like " Where am I? Chernobyl". I was in a cinema with me gf and I cursed out loud!!!!

Anyway a great place for the kids and dogs. I bring mine there every now and again (have a bit of a travel from Cavan). Wouldn't suggest going down the back of the hill on the bonnet of a car though like we did when we were kids. We survived without major injuries with the aid of crash helmets.

Oh the memories

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭nolly23

The hill in rosemount is called the hill of knockastia. The view from the top is amazing on a clear day.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭irish_boy90

yeah i've been up it once too.
    My mam is from there so I have my gran there as well as aunts and uncles.

My gran lived in the house in the ruins of the castle, now that was cooler then the hill :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

My gran lived in the house in the ruins of the castle, now that was cooler then the hill :D

was that in Tubberdaly?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,888 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

An Ri rua wrote: »
    The sun also rises from directly behind it on Equinox days.

I actually LOL'd at this. This is possibly the stupidest thing I have ever read. That exact sentence can be used for any hill/mountain/tree depending on where you are standing when you are viewing it. How does the Sun rise from behind it if you live on the other side of the hill.

Q2002 wrote: »
    I actually LOL'd at this. This is possibly the stupidest thing I have ever read. That exact sentence can be used for any hill/mountain/tree depending on where you are standing when you are viewing it. How does the Sun rise from behind it if you live on the other side of the hill.
    You might want to read his post again then as you clearly did not understand what he said :D Read the next sentence as well as the one you quoted and it should make sense. In fairness he should not have broken the sentence but it was not enough to confuse people as to what he meant.

• Advertisement

Quazzie wrote: »

Holy sh1t, you're a bit slow, aren't you? Clearly slower than even my reply to you here; as you have yet to respond, having LOL'd at yourself effectively.

Holy sh1t, you're a bit slow, aren't you? Clearly slower than even my reply to you here; as you have yet to respond, having LOL'd at yourself effectively.

Are you serious? What have I yet to respond to? Saruman where he tried to explain your poor attempt at constructing a legible sentence? :confused:

Maybe, just maybe I couldn't give a flying fuck about something that was posted 2 years ago. Maybe you should try the same and get over it.;)

Are you serious? What have I yet to respond to? Saruman where he tried to explain your poor attempt at constructing a legible sentence? :confused:

Maybe, just maybe I couldn't give a flying fuck about something that was posted 2 years ago. Maybe you should try the same and get over it.;)

Legible refers to vision issues. If you need glasses, that is surely not my concern?? Comprehensible is probably the word you were reaching for. Maybe you should work on improving your perceptual abilities before reaching wild conclusions and referring to a post as 'stupidest thing I have ever read'. You only succeeded in exposing your impulsive naivety.

Maybe you should embrace your anger, grasshopper? ;)

Legible refers to vision issues.
    Nice of you to take less than the usual 2 years to reply. Did someone help you with the rest of your post or did you ask your teacher for help? :rolleyes:

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/legible
    Being clear enough to be read, readable, particularly for handwriting.

Now rather than derail this thread further, maybe you should take whatever problem you have to PM. There is no point embarrassing yourself on here any more than you have to. ;)

Nice of you to take less than the usual 2 years to reply. Did someone help you with the rest of your post or did you ask your teacher for help? :rolleyes:

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/legible

Now rather than derail this thread further, maybe you should take whatever problem you have to PM. There is no point embarrassing yourself on here any more than you have to. ;)

Ah no, we can leave it at that. Clearly, even when you've looked up the word 'legible', you're still no better off as you don't understand 'readable'.... I am sure others see the irony in that. I can recommend a teacher though, if you like? ;)

And just so that you can get past the 'illegibility' (LOL!) of my initial post that confused you, here's the source link:- http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/850/Eire and on to http://www.crsbooks.net/roadbook.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭The Scawgeen

I know the house with the castle in the garden and it's still pretty cool even today. Would it be too much to ask about the history of the castle, I was told as a child but have forgotten. I may be way off the mark but is it Donore castle ?

I know the house with the castle in the garden and it's still pretty cool even today. Would it be too much to ask about the history of the castle, I was told as a child but have forgotten. I may be way off the mark but is it Donore castle ?

There you go http://www.offalyhistory.com/articles/345/1/Croghan-Hill/Page1.html

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭The Scawgeen

Thanks for posting that link, I've just finished reading it. The castle I'm refering to is somewhere between Horseleap, Streamstown and Rosemount. The name of the castle and the townland escapes me at the minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Thanks for posting that link, I've just finished reading it. The castle I'm refering to is somewhere between Horseleap, Streamstown and Rosemount. The name of the castle and the townland escapes me at the minute.

used to live there. Is it more ruins of walls than a castle? Trying to think of a castle but cant. And other landmarks near and il try find out.

• Advertisement

Dusty87 wrote: »
    used to live there. Is it more ruins of walls than a castle? Trying to think of a castle but cant. And other landmarks near and il try find out.

Not sure if ye've come across the OSI map viewer before but, by toggling to the older maps (and overlaying), you can really uncover an awful lot of history clues. http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,591271,743300,0,10

Advertisement