Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hill near Daingean

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭The Scawgeen

Dusty87 wrote: »
    used to live there. Is it more ruins of walls than a castle? Trying to think of a castle but cant. And other landmarks near and il try find out.

There's a farmhouse about 40 feet from the roadside, 30 feet to the left of the farmhouse is the castle, I've always known it as the house with the castle in the garden. I think there's a railway bridge (Mullingar/Moate line) on the same road. I also have the feeling it's not too far from the old Cill graveyard. There are plenty of castle ruins in the county with plenty of photos of same online. I thought it was Donore Castle but I now know it's not. I'm beginning to wonder if irishboy_90 and I are talking about the same place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

There's a farmhouse about 40 feet from the roadside, 30 feet to the left of the farmhouse is the castle, I've always known it as the house with the castle in the garden. I think there's a railway bridge (Mullingar/Moate line) on the same road. I also have the feeling it's not too far from the old Cill graveyard. There are plenty of castle ruins in the county with plenty of photos of same online. I thought it was Donore Castle but I now know it's not. I'm beginning to wonder if irishboy_90 and I are talking about the same place.

I think Irishboy_90's post was in regards to Croghan Hill but you may have mistaken it as being in regards to the post previous to it, re Knockastia?

An Ri rua wrote: »
    I think Irishboy_90's post was in regards to Croghan Hill but you may have mistaken it as being in regards to the post previous to it, re Knockastia?

I think you're right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

no im thinkin of ruins similiar but the farm house is 500yards away i think. The railway bridge? Down the road from the pub in streamstown?? If your ever up for a hike i have permission to a lot of land over there. The railway runs through one of them. We were actually thinking (i was 17 at the time) about taking the tires of a fiesta or similiar and driving it on the old tracks :) ri rua, i know of osi, use it regular for this stuff, hikin etc. But on the mobile the last week, internet fecked so cant go on it:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 focal2005

Any chance its called Scionan castle????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭nolly23

@focal. Great minds think alike. I was thinking it was Syonan castle. On a back road between Horseleap amd the Four Roads of Donore? Railway bridge just beyond it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

I worked on a movie once which was shot around Croghan hill for parts of it. We spent around three or four days shooting, and everytime you needed something you had to run up/down it. Very hard work, especially in the lashing rain.

Hell of a hill though, great views from the top.

I've been looking at photographs online of Syonan Castle and I don't recognise it as the castle I'm talking about. The search goes on !!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭nolly23

Just discovered that focal2005 is my brother......lol

Advertisement