Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M&S still think we are part of the UK

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

OisinT wrote: »
    Fun fact: the only us state with the union flag on it is Hawaii.
    http://waynejoseph.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/hawaiian_flag.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

FatherLen wrote: »
    Yep. Truly an assault on the aul eyes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,009 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Zebra3 wrote: »
    America has always updated its flag by adding an extra star for each state.

Strange how the Brits had no problem worrying about the cost when they added the Irish bit to their flag but were worried about the cost when it came to taking it out.
    prinz wrote: »
    Why did it need to be changed? The flag of St Patrick still represents the Irish part of the United Kingdom. The EU flag isn't routinely updated with new Member States either it has always featured twelve stars.

My errors just show how relevant I think flags are.:P

Although the EU flag has 12 stars, which most people seemed to think related to the 12 member-states back in 1986, the EU website maintains that this was just a coincidence.

I seem to recall that someone suggested that the flag be changed when the last batch of countries joined the EU, but it was decided to leave it as it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

dudara wrote: »
    Not a Consumer Issue - Moved to After Hours

dudara

I would like to personally thank you for feeding our lovely AH heads with this thread. They love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

It amazes me how many people here think England comprises Britain, Scotland and Wales and that the four nationalities of the UK are Northern Irish, British, Welsh and Scotch.

That is true but only people who have no interest in other countries.

• Advertisement

Rabies wrote: »

I would like to personally thank you for feeding our lovely AH heads with this thread. They love it.

everything that nobody else wants gets dumped in AH, Is that a good thing or a bad thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Well, if the BBC is anything to go by, most sports people are Scottish, Welsh, N. Irish or English until they start winning stuff. Then they're British or English.

We've strayed way off topic now haven't we?

This isn't just a rant thread, this is a rant thread cultivated in on the southern slopes of Consumer Issues and drizzled with After Hours indignation, infused with an essence of righteousness. This is an M&S rant thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

OisinT wrote: »
    Yep. Truly an assault on the aul eyes too.

If you think that's bad, you should see the M&S Tricolour

hondasam wrote: »
    everything that nobody else wants gets dumped in AH, Is that a good thing or a bad thing.

Sometimes it gets thrown back, locked, deleted, moved on again or made fun of.
    All depends on the mood.

This thread is ok.
    Fits with the typical low brow AH hatred of anything English.
    Very soon someone will find a way to blame Bertie or Cromwell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭JohnathanM

All depends on the mood.

This thread is ok.

I blame DeValera myself. You know how those Yanks love anything English.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Luxie

ejmaztec wrote: »
    My errors just show how relevant I think flags are.:P

Although the EU flag has 12 stars, which most people seemed to think related to the 12 member-states back in 1986, the EU website maintains that this was just a coincidence.

I seem to recall that someone suggested that the flag be changed when the last batch of countries joined the EU, but it was decided to leave it as it was.

I was working in the European Commission when Austria, Finland and Sweden joined up and the decision was taken not to expand the flag to 15. Or even further.

All depends on the mood.

This thread is ok.

I'm sure someone will blame FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭jc84

D35 wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong I'm not a hate the Brits person without them we would never be where we are today, but still there is an international section for stores outside the UK how hard would it be to put Ireland in there???

and email them!!! why would I want to do that when I can post it here and stir the pot :D

most companies don't include ireland on their websites, hardly worth the bother really

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

I lived in the UK for 2 years. You'd be surprised how many people there think that Ireland is in the UK.

Worked in Tenerife for a few summers, 90% of the other staff were english. A lot of them thought we were british, while many simply didnt have a notion of their history, they used to ask me things like "why do Irish hate us so much?" Id give a ten minute crash course of the famine/rising etc etc, they were genuinely shocked.

My favourite was two essex lads, absolutely thick as planks, who thought EVERYONE in Ireland was a pikey because they lived near a halting site in essex full of Irish and because of films like snatch.....im not kidding.

df1985 wrote: »
    Worked in Tenerife for a few summers, 90% of the other staff were english. A lot of them thought we were british, while many simply didnt have a notion of their history, they used to ask me things like "why do Irish hate us so much?" Id give a ten minute crash course of the famine/rising etc etc, they were genuinely shocked.

My favourite was two essex lads, absolutely thick as planks, who thought EVERYONE in Ireland was a pikey because they lived near a halting site in essex full of Irish and because of films like snatch.....im not kidding.

Years ago, they assumed that every Irish person was in the IRA, and was going to blow them up, so the modern pikey assumption is probably a slight improvement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Years ago, they assumed that every Irish person was in the IRA, and was going to blow them up, so the modern pikey assumption is probably a slight improvement.

Wot no Leprechauns?

hondasam wrote: »
    That is true but only people who have no interest in other countries.

Indeed, but in true AH fashion, as I once met one person who thought this, I am obliged to label the entire country accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Its just the usual ignorance we see from over there. Its nothing to do with a silent invasion or a claim, they literally think they do own us and see little difference between us and Scotland.

I've spoken to people from the UK who despite having visited dublin and had to change currency to the Euro, have refereed to Briton as Ireland's main land and was convinced we were in the UK.

The UK really is the US of europe when it comes to this kinda thing. And it is pretty insulting considering the history. As well as the fact that they are right beside us.
    It amazes me how many people here think England comprises Britain, Scotland and Wales and that the four nationalities of the UK are Northern Irish, British, Welsh and Scotch.

People will make a slip of the tongue often when refering to Briton or The British as English or England.

Same as how in the 80's people would say Russians when talking about the Soviet Union. This isnt a lack of knowledge, directly quizz any of these people and they will display full knowledge of the correct naming.

Its not the same as thinking you own the country beside you. Despite that countries fight for freedom from you being world famous.

It's a bit ridiculous.

jc84 wrote: »
    most companies don't include ireland on their websites, hardly worth the bother really

Or its grouped under UK & Ireland.
    Not a major problem if done right.
    As someone already pointed out, at times there is no need for a dedicated Irish office. Even if there was an Irish number to call, it would prob get redirected.

But for a large company to make silly mistake like this, it is embarrassing, but nothing to get too offended over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I lived in the UK for 2 years. You'd be surprised how many people there think that Ireland is in the UK.

It partially because for centuries they have being brought up with the concept of britishness and empire of which the whole of Ireland was once a part so many don't understand as such our concept of being a republic because they don't have to learn the whole 800 years of of Irish history in their schools and colleges
    Luxie wrote: »
    I think in fairness, most of them have an idea. I lived in London for ten years which obviously it's pretty cosmopolitan. Because of the huge mix of nationalities, they don't really see us as being 'foreign' as such. As in we speak the same language, have similar interests, etc. Not necessarily because they 'claim' us. That was my experience anyway.
    I agree and I think that's were a lot of Irish people get confused to with in same way that some British don't see us as foreign and think all of Ireland is part of UK .Also giving that we are two neighboring countries and have great business and trade interests ,it's understandable how people in both island make mistakes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 D35

If you think that's bad, you should see the M&S Tricolour

hilarious!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Latchy wrote: »
    I agree and I think that's were a lot of Irish people get confused to with in same way that some British don't see us as foreign and think all of Ireland is part of UK .Also giving that we are two neighboring countries and have great business and trade interests ,it's understandable how people in both island make mistakes

Indeed, it seems weird to most British people that one part of one island (about four million people) claim to be totally 'Foreign' to the other parts
    of this group of islands, which amounts to over sixty million people! > British people just see us Irish as part of this group of islands, they certainly
    don't see us as foreign, with so many generations of Irish people settled in Britain, why would they think us as foreign? On the flip side, many Irish people claim to be soo different from the inhabitants of the UK as to be foreign!

Thats what I've witnessed, having lived & worked in Britain & Ireland I can see both sides of the argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 D35

df1985 wrote: »

To be fair, it is not something they are taught in school. "today we will be learning why we invaded other countries" the same happened in Oz allot of my Australian friends didn't know of the mass genocide of aboriginal people.

Wot no Leprechauns?

Only ones wearing Balaclavas:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

My local Tesco (Cork) sells those white round stickers like the ones you get on car ferries - the GB ones. The box is only about half full, hopefully due to shoplifters with a sense of humour rather than customers :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Oh, stop beating around the bush and let's attack any Brits we see with our Sky dishes, dressed in our Premiership football jerseys while chomping down on our Yorkie bars with Prodigy playing in our headphones that we bought from Tesco.

That'll teach them that we're Irish and proud!

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Luxie

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Oh, stop beating around the bush and let's attack any Brits we see with our Sky dishes, dressed in our Premiership football jerseys while chomping down on our Yorkie bars with Prodigy playing in our headphones that we bought from Tesco.

That'll teach them that we're Irish and proud!

As long as it's not in the evening. I like my Corrie, Emmerdale, Eastenders, I do.

pow wow wrote: »
    My local Tesco (Cork) sells those white round stickers like the ones you get on car ferries - the GB ones. The box is only about half full, hopefully due to shoplifters with a sense of humour rather than customers :pac:

There are probably a lot of Gerard Barrys in Cork who want to pimp up their brief-cases.

I guess the confusion with a lot of English people is this.

Irish people are all Irish to us and significant numbers can be found in both the work place and universities. However, some wave around a union flag and claim to be British, these can be identified by the fact they are wearing a Rangers jersey and cheering when England lose. The other sort wave around a flag that looks a bit like Italy's whilst wearing a Man United jersey and cheering when England lose.

Both types are currently costing the British tax payer a fortune.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

pow wow wrote: »

They have them in my local tesco too! I cant see them selling too well.

Advertisement