Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M&S still think we are part of the UK

Options
  • 27-01-2011 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 42

You would think after several years in Ireland, Marks and Spenser would understand that we are no longer part of the UK. If you are looking for a contact number on there site and click into international stores we are not listed, but dont worry you can find all the Irish stores in there UK section.

Next they will be running a buy British campaign.

http://corporate.marksandspencer.com/aboutus/where/international_stores

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,976 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

In fairness the pleb who put that together probably does think Ireland is part of the UK. Sure it shouldn't happen but it's not worth getting into a fuss about. A lot of companies throw Ireland and the UK together from a business perspective as it doesn't make sense for them to have an Irish section/headquarters as the market is just too small.

Did you email them and point out the error?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 D35

Don't get me wrong I'm not a hate the Brits person without them we would never be where we are today, but still there is an international section for stores outside the UK how hard would it be to put Ireland in there???

and email them!!! why would I want to do that when I can post it here and stir the pot :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Not a Consumer Issue - Moved to After Hours

dudara

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i hate you so much

• Registered Users Posts: 31,035 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

In before "British Isles".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

D35 wrote: »
    You would think after several years in Ireland, Marks and Spenser would understand that we are no longer part of the UK

..and that after several years of having a presence here people would know it is Marks & Spencer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

This will be derived from a database where the stores will be separated by their distribution network and the Irish stores will be art of the same chain as the stores in NI and GB.

Do people still get worked up about this? If you are worried about some kind of "silent invasion" by the British maybe you should look at the high street it is pretty much 90% British/Foreign chains; Tesco, HMV, Top Shop, Zara, Miss Selfridges, Starbucks, Waterstones, the aforementioned M&S etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Lumen wrote: »
    In before "British Isles".

Aisles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭mathie

In before Paedoph Isles.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Sure the British flag still claims us so I'm not surprised some private business sees it that way too. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Sure the British flag still claims us

how so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Heard some news reporter on the radio yesterday talking about proposed cancelled Aer Lingus flights from Belfast to the UK :confused: :cool: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,009 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

M&S, supplying dyslexic S&M fetishists for over a century.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

ok it uses a flag that we used in the 17th century when we were under british rule. just incase you have forgotten we have changed our flag. i dont think they "claim" us.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

mathie wrote: »
    In before Paedoph Isles.

dam..... late again :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭GizAGoOfYerGee

I lived in the UK for 2 years. You'd be surprised how many people there think that Ireland is in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Luxie

I lived in the UK for 2 years. You'd be surprised how many people there think that Ireland is in the UK.

I think in fairness, most of them have an idea. I lived in London for ten years which obviously it's pretty cosmopolitan. Because of the huge mix of nationalities, they don't really see us as being 'foreign' as such. As in we speak the same language, have similar interests, etc. Not necessarily because they 'claim' us. That was my experience anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Irish Halo wrote: »
    This will be derived from a database where the stores will be separated by their distribution network and the Irish stores will be art of the same chain as the stores in NI and GB.

Do people still get worked up about this? If you are worried about some kind of "silent invasion" by the British maybe you should look at the high street it is pretty much 90% British/Foreign chains; Tesco, HMV, Top Shop, Zara, Miss Selfridges, Starbucks, Waterstones, the aforementioned M&S etc etc

Its not that people get worked up over it but i would think it be a courtesy and right if the company respected this sovereign country,s right to be independent of being labelled a part of the uk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

It amazes me how many people here think England comprises Britain, Scotland and Wales and that the four nationalities of the UK are Northern Irish, British, Welsh and Scotch.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,009 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

FatherLen wrote: »
    ok it uses a flag that we used in the 17th century when we were under british rule. just incase you have forgotten we have changed our flag. i dont think they "claim" us.

It would have cost a mint to change the flag, in the same way that it would cost a mint for the Americans to update the stars and stripes, and for the EU to take into account the additional member-countries.

It amazes me how many people here think England comprises Britain, Scotland and Wales and that the four nationalities of the UK are Northern Irish, British, Welsh and Scotch.

Yeah, imagine thinking a type of whiskey is a British nationality. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Yeah, imagine thinking a type of whiskey is a British nationality. :eek:

I have to admit, it is mainly the Americans that get that one wrong.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    It would have cost a mint to change the flag, in the same way that it would cost a mint for the Americans to update the stars and stripes, and for the EU to take into account the additional member-countries.

America has always updated its flag by adding an extra star for each state.

Strange how the Brits had no problem worrying about the cost when they added the Irish bit to their flag but were worried about the cost when it came to taking it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

ejmaztec wrote: »

Why did it need to be changed? The flag of St Patrick still represents the Irish part of the United Kingdom. The EU flag isn't routinely updated with new Member States either it has always featured twelve stars.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

I don't think anyone thinks that.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

D35 wrote: »
    and email them!!! why would I want to do that when I can post it here and stir the pot :D
    Thank you! Without this kind of thinking boards would only have 65% of the posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Fun fact: the only us state with the union flag on it is Hawaii.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

prinz wrote: »
    Why did it need to be changed? The flag of St Patrick still represents the Irish part of the United Kingdom. The EU flag isn't routinely updated with new Member States either it has always featured twelve stars.

It doesn't. They changed it to the Ulster banner. I've also never seen it flying during marching season.

Amusingly on the UUP office in Ballymoney they have a Union jack logo but the st. patricks saltire bit has faded out. Always think its hilarious they haven't noticed.

Advertisement