Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the Best Alarm System

Options
  • 17-01-2011 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi,
    I'm looking to install an alarm in my 3 bedroom house which is pre-wired but just not sure what system to go for.

Is the HKC SW812 a good unit?

I know there will be many good brands so any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Don't go near the 8/12 , its way past its sell by date.
    The 3 Newest & most popular systems that would suit your are
    Europlex SigNET
    HKC Securewave
    Astec Fusion

They are all priced in or around the same price , but my opinion would be the signet has the more features for your money.
    The Securewave is more aimed at the wireless market which you do not require as the house is prewired.

If you want to spend a bit more the SIgNET 220IP give you full remote access via a built in web server. Its around an extra €200 onto the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,656 ✭✭✭✭altor

KHUGY wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm looking to install an alarm in my 3 bedroom house which is pre-wired but just not sure what system to go for.

Is the HKC SW812 a good unit?

I know there will be many good brands so any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I would be installing the new HKC Secure Wave panel over the 8/12. At lease you will have the option of adding wire free detectors (motions-secure keyfobs) if you need any. There are a lot of different panels but it all depends what you want from the alarm.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I didn't go into wireless as the house is prewired.
    But in the interests of comparing like with like the SigNET is also wireless compatible. Its worth taking a look trough the information here

I thought you said the Secure Wave is aimed more at the wireless market. The Secure Wave has 10 on board wired zones for wired devices plus the ability to add wire free devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Another vote for the Signet here.
    You get more for your money with the Signet

• Advertisement

altor wrote: »
    I thought you said the Secure Wave is aimed more at the wireless market. The Secure Wave has 10 on board wired zones for wired devices plus the ability to add wire free devices.
    Even HKC market it as such. To quote HKC to me.
    "It's really a wireless system that you can use wired if it's handy"

• Registered Users Posts: 15 KHUGY

Thanks for the replies folks, very helpful. I almost picked up that unit yesterday thinking it would be the latest thing on the market.
    I was quoted 145 for the panel and keypad and 57 for the bell (inc vat) a total of 330 for everything i need.
    I want to get the latest system so how much do you reckon i would get the surewave or signet panel for?

Thanks

Signet and Securewave should be around the same price as you were quoted for the HKC.
    It really amazes me that people are still paying this for such old technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 iancr

both signet and secure wave panels are good but from my experience in installing both i find the secure wave better for the end user as it is more user friendly. koolkid mentioned the astec fusion never installed one but a mate did and he said he wouldn't recommend them.(please don't argue bout this post as i'm only giving my mates and my opinion)

In what way is it more user friendly?
    Is this the same user friendly which gives disarm as the first option when the code is entered into a disarmed panel?

• Advertisement

koolkid wrote: »
    In what way is it more user friendly?
    Is this the same user friendly which gives disarm as the first option when the code is entered into a disarmed panel?

just giving my opinion. Install both and get better feed back off customers who have the secure wave, less calls asking how do i do that.

I have installed both.
    I have also given customers the choice of both.
    Over 90% of them choose SigNET once the differences and the extra features are explained to them.

I have installed both.
    I have also given customers the choice of both.
    Over 90% of them choose SigNET once the differences and the extra features are explained to them.

Thats fair enough SigNET is a great panel lots of features but a bit OTT for average domestic user. Average user wouldn't use most features, they just want set/unset, part arm and some from of monitoring.

If that's the case why is it HKC costs the same price?
    Either Signet is underpriced and therefore great value or HKC is overpriced.
    TBH as a new user here you are coming close to trolling.
    You said in a previous post nearly all your customers want extra codes etc.
    You are now saying they want just basic arm disarm and part set.
    One code suffices there.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Cadzer

If that's the case why is it HKC costs the same price?
    Either Signet is underpriced and therefore great value or HKC is overpriced.
    One code suffices there.

Thats a bit harsh " coming close to trolling"
    YES the signet has more features, X-10, Web access etc. But you have to admit, of 100 signet panels sold in a DOMESTIC install maybe 1 would use web access and i still do not know an engineer that has used the X-10.

At the end of the day every panel will do what it is designed to do, contact the monitoring station, ring the bells and provide the customer with the peace of mind that if some tries or does break into a premises that correct action is taken.

If i use HKC and you use signet its down to what we as installers like to use and what the customer whats from the panel. If a customer want IP i will but in a signet but they are few and far between.

I will stick with Secure wave as IMO i have had no issues to date.
    But different folks different strokes.

Cadzer wrote: »
    At the end of the day every panel will do what it is designed to do, contact the monitoring station, ring the bells and provide the customer with the peace of mind that if some tries or does break into a premises that correct action is taken.
    Are you sure about that, I have seen one brand of panel fail under certain conditions through no fault of the installer.
    Anyway I'll stick to Signet

Thanks for all the info folks

I priced the controllers and auto dialer's for both the SigNet 100 and the Secure Wave and both work out at 262 euro. I think i will go with the SigNet but the guy in the shop reckoned i could only use SigNet sensors with this system.

Not important i suppose as i am starting from scratch and have to buy the sensors but does anybody know if this is true.

KoolKid maybe..

Thanks

Wireless ?? then yes

No the house is pre-wired.. The only thing is that i don't have cable for the PIR's.
    Why do you say wireless??

When you said "the guy in the shop reckoned i could only use SigNet sensors with this system" he was referring to wireless.
    As yours is wired any sensors will do

• Advertisement

Ah right, Good man thanks..

I priced the controllers and auto dialer's for both the SigNet 100 and the Secure Wave and both work out at 262 euro. I think i will go with the SigNet but the guy in the shop reckoned i could only use SigNet sensors with this system.

Not important i suppose as i am starting from scratch and have to buy the sensors but does anybody know if this is true.

Signet dont make there own sensors. Visonic make signets wire free sensors. The likes of HKC, ASTEC, ARITECH wired sensors are used on the signet system.

Thats a bit harsh " coming close to trolling"
    Maybe, but when I a new user arrives here & jumps into a number of threads taking opposing views then I get suspicious. Especially when they contradict themselves from one post to another.
    But you have to admit, of 100 signet panels sold in a DOMESTIC install maybe 1 would use web access
    About 10 to 20 % in my business.
    and i still do not know an engineer that has used the X-10.
    You do now. I have installed plenty
    Very addictive once you get into it. People just keep coming up with more ideas for using cause & effect.
    If everyone was happy with that we would still be installing Itec & Horizon panels. The customer demand has a lot to do with driving change also.
    If i use HKC and you use signet its down to what we as installers like to use and what the customer whats from the panel. If a customer want IP i will but in a signet but they are few and far between.
    So if a customer doesn't want IP who makes the decision?

KoolKid maybe..

For Wired you may use any global devices.
    For wireless you need to use Visonic devices set up for SigNET

One code suffices there.

sorry if i was unclear by extra codes i meant various user codes for different individuals, so one code does not suffice.
    your business seems a lot different from alot of others on the thread, maybe your customers are a lot more technical minded

In my experience customers who want the simple options to just set, part set and unset would rarely be bothered with multiple codes.
    Maybe I'm just not installing long enough.:o:rolleyes:

iancr wrote: »
    sorry if i was unclear by extra codes i meant various user codes for different individuals, so one code does not suffice.
    your business seems a lot different from alot of others on the thread, maybe your customers are a lot more technical minded

Its good to have an opinion even if it is not the same as others ;)

altor wrote: »
    Its good to have an opinion even if it is not the same as others ;)

Cheers altor, its good to see some one listening to other peoples points instead of just giving out about them:p

Lads , I have no problem whatsoever with opinions. Thats what we're here for.
    What I find a bit strange is people looking for these extra codes etc & then saying that they want it as simple as possible.:confused:
    Like I said maybe I'm not installing long enough and just not meeting enough fussy people.;)

What I find a bit strange is people looking for these extra codes etc & then saying that they want it as simple as possible.:confused:
    ;)

ok lets say you want to have your alarm code as say 5674 because it is easy for you to remember. your nieghbour is a keyholder and they would perfer to use a code that they find easy to remember. so in this case you would use 2 codes. right or wrong.:confused:

• Advertisement

I agree.
    Simply saying in my experience it rarely happens. Neighbour/keyholder gets told the same code.
    Back on topic to the initial issue,..(Abeit elsewhere)
    In my opinion the situation with the panel giving the disarm option as the first option when the system is already disarmed is either a bug or bad programming.
    The customer who want to keep it simple should have the options in the correct order . Likewise if you enter your code when the system is armed the first option should not be Full Set. I'm sure that makes sense yes?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement