Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog pulling on lead all the time

Options
  • 13-01-2011 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,046 ✭✭✭✭

We have a very energetic and enthusiastic 10 month old lab. I walk her twice a day now but shes constantly pulling on the lead and trying to drag us along. When she sees leaves blowing along the footpath shes always trying to dart after them aswell. If im not around she wont get walked coz my fiance cant control the power that comes out of her when shes pulling. Its also starting to cause me to get a sore lower back. Is there any special training to do with her or this just puppy enthusiasm that will go with age?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I would recommend puppy classes for her to work on the pulling.
    Also there are head collars like the Dogmatic and the Halti which are great for pullers so i recommend you get one of those.

Whatever you do, do not put a harness on her as this just makes things worse as its easier to pull with a harness on.
    It def wont go with age, it will probably get worse if you dont get it sorted now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Here's some good training tips here http://www.dogstardaily.com/training/pulling-leash

And you can also get products to help you have more control over your dog while walking such as http://www.dogtrainingireland.ie/shop/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=444 or a Halti https://www.brendaspets.ie/products/313/halti-dog-harness but the training is an integral part of helping her. You can't just slap these on an away she goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

It will take time and patience, but you take the dog out, the second it pulls, you stop, turn around and go the other way. When it pulls going that way, you stop, turn around, and go the other way. Etc,etc, etc. The first few days you may only get a few yards down the street before you go home, but the dog will learn, I pull, we don't go for a walk.

Or, the dog pulls, you stop and make it sit. You walk on again, dog pulls, you stop, and make it sit. Again, the first few days you may only get a few yards up the street, but it is effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Amberjack

I have 2 springers who "dont do leads" and pull on normal leads/collars. A few years back we were recommended the Sensation harness style collar and I must admit it is brilliant. I can now actually walk the pair of them on the paths etc, where before, it was such an ordeal with pushing and pulling.
    Would definitely recommend:
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013JYDF0/?tag=shopamato-20

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭superfish

choke lead ?

• Advertisement

superfish wrote: »
    choke lead ?

Please don't, just patience and training and you'll get there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭john t

Plenty of stop sit wait as posted earlier , dog pulls you stop and make dog cum back too you and sit, wait till dog calms down or appears bored b4 moving off, again could take lots of repetitive stop sit wait but eventually you will enjoy walking dog.. Young dogs have lots of energy and get xcited and want too play with and sniff/ examine all moving objects even leaves.. Takes time and patience....

ISDW wrote: »
    Please don't, just patience and training and you'll get there.

some times you have to I have a mastiff, its all he understood although the lab is a lot more intelligent animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

http://www.k9shop.ie/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=59

I bought the dogmatic head collar from here. Worked a treat for my lab. He will fight it for a while but stick with it and you will never look back.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Amberjack wrote: »
    I have 2 springers who "dont do leads" and pull on normal leads/collars. A few years back we were recommended the Sensation harness style collar and I must admit it is brilliant. I can now actually walk the pair of them on the paths etc, where before, it was such an ordeal with pushing and pulling.
    Would definitely recommend:
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013JYDF0/?tag=shopamato-20

+1 This is what I use for our retriever. We got ours in Dog Training Ireland - if you're in Dublin you can call in to the shop and the guys will fit it for you. As well as the harness you need patience. When she pulls you stop and don't move until she looks back to tell you to come on then give her a treat and walk on :pac:

Please don't try a quick fix solution like a choke/check chain etc - especially on a pup because eg if they pull when they see another dog on they'll assoiciate the pain of being choked with other dogs and you'll have problems further down the line. Also Haltis etc are meant to be a training aid not a long term quick fix - I had to use one on our guy after surgery to slow him down so he wouldn't hurt himself and found it a bit unfair on him - he's a gundog so likes to sniff as he's walking along!

I found it easiest to train our guy in the evenings - on the path not in the park so there was no distractions. Every few steps with the lead loose I gave him a small treat and praise as as he got better I spaced out the time between the treats until he didn't need them anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

choke lead ?

choke chains should be banned

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭NTC

Tigger wrote: »

Agreed, they are bad things.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Metalpanic

Tigger wrote: »

Have to disagree with you there. When used properly they are a very effective aid in training a dog. But they have to be used properly and only when the dog is being trained, the rest of the time the dog should wear a normal collar.

My German Shepherd was trained by a police dog handler and he used a choke chain and advocated its use. He showed my whole family how to use it correctly so the dog would not get hurt and that there was no confusion over how the dog was to be corrected. As the OP said its all about consistency and repetition. The dog pulls, snap the chain say heel, use your hand to pull the dog to your left side and walk again. Very boring and repetitive but worth it in the end!

choke leads should be banned until another disobedient untrained dog kills someone or tears apart a childs face. some breeds need to know discipline and who the master is from day one

choke leads should be banned until another disobedient untrained dog kills someone or tears apart a childs face. some breeds need to know discipline and who the master is from day one

What breeds for example?

But they're legal now, and these incidents still happen, so that kind of negates your argument doesn't it?:confused:

So you would advocate using a choke chain (as opposed to a check chain) on an 8 week old puppy?

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Bubs99

Choke leads should be banned and never used and people should be taught which are the best mussels to use if they must use them.

Choke leads pinch the dogs skin on the neck which is obviously painful for them and can irritate them.

Im sick of the debate on what breeds are the most dangerous. All breeds can snap and attack if they must...many are purposely provoked (thats how they train them to fight and many "security" dogs)...a dog is an animal after all!

Many people are terrified of staffies and pitbulls but not all of them are aggressive, many are so loving. I recently saw a rottweiler with their owner (I rarely see rottweilers) and he was a giant teddy bear that snuggled up with his owner...I thought that was adorable.

Many so called cuties such as yorkies and westies are very snappy.

Sorry about the rant but I had to get it out of me!

choke leads should be banned until another disobedient untrained dog kills someone or tears apart a childs face. *some breeds need to know discipline and who the master is from day one

*Sigh :(

andreac wrote: »
    *Sigh :(

OMG, you're turning into EGAR:D:p

ISDW wrote: »
    OMG, you're turning into EGAR:D:p

Ha ha, i give up really, if i said how i really feel id probably get a ban:eek:

• Advertisement

andreac wrote: »
    Ha ha, i give up really, if i said how i really feel id probably get a ban:eek:

Same here!

If little 5'1 me can contain the puppy power of a 27kg GR than anyone can do it! :pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 excuse me

i use a harness(fur lined!!) on my golden retriever about three years ago and never look back(it was either that on get a new collar bone:D).my four year old girl can now walk the 35kg pet!
    but as said earlier a little bit of training and patience will do wonders.

excuse me wrote: »
    i use a harness(fur lined!!) on my golden retriever about three years ago and never look back(it was either that on get a new collar bone:D).my four year old girl can now walk the 35kg pet!
    but as said earlier a little bit of training and patience will do wonders.

To be honest, a harness is the worst thing to put on a dog that pulls as a harness is used on dogs to encourage them to pull, eg Huskies so i would never recommend a harness for a strong dog. They can get more power behind them with their bodyweight with a harness to pull.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

choke leads are crual, shame on you!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,046 ✭✭✭✭neris

i put a harness on her because she use to pull on the normal lead and collar and was afraid shed choke herself when she was pulling. Might put her back on the old collar tonight and give some of the suggestions a go. Thanks

here are a list of breeds that need disipline from day one

staff
    rottweiller
    german sheppard
    most mastiff

a choke lead is a good way to teach discipline from the beginning im not saying its going to stop attacks like the one above but you must have a firm hand and establish who is boss from day one being honest im not sure id trust half of you with anything bigger than a poodle judging by your smart derogatory comments. leave the bigger breeds to people who know how to handle them trust me we will all be a lot safer.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭rafared

RubyGirl wrote: »
    http://www.k9shop.ie/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=59

I bought the dogmatic head collar from here. Worked a treat for my lab. He will fight it for a while but stick with it and you will never look back.

+1 for me. Dogmatic collar will be of huge help, well worth the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

a choke lead is a good way to teach discipline from the beginning im not saying its going to stop attacks like the one above but you must have a firm hand and establish who is boss from day one being honest im not sure id trust half of you with anything bigger than a poodle judging by your smart derogatory comments. leave the bigger breeds to people who know how to handle them trust me we will all be a lot safer.

and the funny thing is, us responsible owners of large breeds would say that if abusive owners and owners who use dominance training didn't own dogs we'd all be a lot safer. Why is the staff on that list, then you start talking about large dogs? A staff isn't large.

Actually there is so much wrong with your post I don't have the time to comment on it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Is there any reason why dogmatic would work better than halti or gentle leader?

• Advertisement

here are a list of breeds that need disipline from day one

staff
    rottweiller
    german sheppard
    most mastiff

:rolleyes:I'm sure that Andrea C, with her two rottweilers will agree with you, she really shouldn't be allowed out with them. And as for Cooper becoming a champion, well I don't know how that could have happened, without the use of a choke lead, how on earth does she control him in the ring with just a thin show lead and collar on? Oh, I wonder if its by respect and not fear?;)

When you say a poodle, do you mean a standard poodle? Which is much bigger than a Staff and is actually used by some police forces.

Just for your information, they are check chains, not choke leads, and they are supposed to be put on the dog so that you can check it, and then when you release, it goes loose on the dog's neck. A choke lead or chain surely would do that, choke the dog? Most people - and by the sounds of it, that includes you - don't know that you can put them on upside down.

Anyway, you still haven't answered my question, would you put a choke lead on an 8 week old puppy?

Advertisement