Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog pulling on lead all the time

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭superfish

ISDW wrote: »
    :rolleyes:I'm sure that Andrea C, with her two rottweilers will agree with you, she really shouldn't be allowed out with them. And as for Cooper becoming a champion, well I don't know how that could have happened, without the use of a choke lead, how on earth does she control him in the ring with just a thin show lead and collar on? Oh, I wonder if its by respect and not fear?;)

When you say a poodle, do you mean a standard poodle? Which is much bigger than a Staff and is actually used by some police forces.

Just for your information, they are check chains, not choke leads, and they are supposed to be put on the dog so that you can check it, and then when you release, it goes loose on the dog's neck. A choke lead or chain surely would do that, choke the dog? Most people - and by the sounds of it, that includes you - don't know that you can put them on upside down.

Anyway, you still haven't answered my question, would you put a choke lead on an 8 week old puppy?
    ive had dogs for years buddy Im sure I dont need your advice as smart as you seem to think you are. no I would not put a choke lead on a pup but if it belonged to a gob****e like you id quite happily snap its fecking neck

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

superfish wrote: »
    ive had dogs for years buddy Im sure I dont need your advice as smart as you seem to think you are. no I would not put a choke lead on a pup but if it belonged to a gob****e like you id quite happily snap its fecking neck

lol :D yep you've really proven your point there. What a good example of a dog owner you must be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Charming.

Seems to me if you have the respect and trust of your dog, you dont need a choke chain. Takes longer but thats why we own dogs and not goldfish. Doesnt matter if its a bichon or a rottie, the power of the animal should never come into it if its been trained properly and with respect.

No we have lots of discussions where people don't agree. You know where people actually discuss things as opposed to telling posters they would like to snap their dogs neck, call people names etc. You should try it, you never know, you might actually like talking to people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

littlebug wrote: »
    Is there any reason why dogmatic would work better than halti or gentle leader?

I'm sure someone will put me wrong if I mis-guide you on this. I had the halti and found it was always riding up over his eyes, I thought it was too big for him. I looked up a couple of sites on the net and most suggestions back from the halti owners felt the same. So I found the dogmatic. I do find it much better.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Superfish red carded for that comment.

RubyGirl wrote: »
    I'm sure someone will put me wrong if I mis-guide you on this. I had the halti and found it was always riding up over his eyes, I thought it was too big for him. I looked up a couple of sites on the net and most suggestions back from the halti owners felt the same. So I found the dogmatic. I do find it much better.

I've found that too :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Actually thats a permanent ban for Superfish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Yeah my halti rides up around my GSD eyes. Thought it might be because shes not fully grown tho?

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭timewilltell

I have a sheepdog/collie cross and she's always been a mentaller on the lead. My Dad would be an avis choke chain fan so nearly keeled over when I got her a harness.

They are amazing, and she's built muscle up from it too. Our neighbour also used it on his lab and it works a treat!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭DBCyc

I'd definitely recommend a halti/dogmatic collar. The halti works really well with Suzie. She's not much of a puller but will pull to get a sniff at something she is interested in. We got the halti so she'd be more manageable on the lead when pushing a buggy at the same time and its worked great.

Choke chains seem awful cruel to me, but I don't know that much about how to use them. I don't see the point in even considering one anyway when the halti/dogmatic will solve the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Jennypops

hey,
    sorry to butt in but i am very curious about the haltis..i know they go round the head but how do they actually work, is it just that you turn the dogs head away from the distraction? i was thinking of getting one for my 'puller' but imagine he would just wiggle and squirm and fight against it if he was adamant he wanted to look at something!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I think that dogmatics are better than haltis, they don't seem to ride up into the eyes as much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

OP, try a choke chain. Worked grand for me, she actually strangled herself less with that than an ordinary collar.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Anyone I know who used a halti had the same with it riding up into their eyes. I used a gentle leader with our guy for a week or so when he was finished his crate rest and it didn't ride up at all. At the time he was really afraid of traffic (he'd been walked in the park for a year so had forgotten what traffic was!) and trying to pull away if eg a bus came by or going on strike and I was afraid he'd pull/try to run/jump and hurt his leg or if I tried to pull him to come when his bum was glued to the ground because he was afraid and didn't want to move. Anyhoos the gentle leader worked but he wasn't happy with it - he seemed a bit afraid/uncomfortable and would paw at it every now and again. Another thing I found with the GL was because the lead attaches under his chin if he was having a sniff of the ground he'd step over the lead and kept getting tangled in his leg. Luckily he got used to the traffic after about a week and is now walking for an hour each evening with his sensible harness with no pulling and no probs - not bad considering his op was only 9 weeks ago!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Are you in Dublin OP?
    I might have a spare Canny collar you can try

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭bullylover

V stupid arguement, I have had 3 pyrenean mountain dogs and if I can walk them with no choke chains anyone can!
    Pyrenean are "independant minded" (not to mention make mastiffs look like jack russels) and hard to train but jesus i never tot yeah we will slap a coke chain on them!
    Never had any problems walking them and as im a 5'6 slim build girl I couldnt even if i wanted to "show them who's boss".
    I have a English Bull Terrier and a Pitbull type and they dont have choke chains either, the pit is probably the easiest dog I have ever owned, eager and willing to please so never needed to "show him who's boss".
    We use a halti on the bully because she has a tendancy to get excited when she see's other dogs, and have to say the halti works fantastic:)
    Your training method is very old school, the times have changed and training methods have changed and improved, maybe its time to change your opinion and move on to a more sufficient way of training so you actually get the best out of your dog:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

It's all about respect and correct training. I walk 6 dogs and push a buggy every day and not a choke chain anywhere. And often I walk my neighbours dogs too so that's 8 dogs and a buggy. My neighbour walks her dogs with head collars but when I walk them it's on flat collars, and that's because they know when they walk with me there's to be no messing, we get on and walk and the rule is simply that no-one pulls me. One of them is a mastiff.
    So altogether that's 150kg of dogs in total and not a single choke chain...... maybe I should just go and swap them for a mini poodle cos I mustn't be doing it right :D

I got a canny collar for my sis's dog, fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

superfish wrote: »
    here are a list of breeds that need disipline from day one

staff
    rottweiller
    german sheppard
    most mastiff

a choke lead is a good way to teach discipline from the beginning im not saying its going to stop attacks like the one above but you must have a firm hand and establish who is boss from day one being honest im not sure id trust half of you with anything bigger than a poodle judging by your smart derogatory comments. leave the bigger breeds to people who know how to handle them trust me we will all be a lot safer.

Oh you really havent a clue do you? :rolleyes:

Yes as ISDW stated, i own 2 rotties, one being a 50kg male and i walk him in a dogmatic headcollar, no choke chain.
    He is a well trained dog who is very obedient and i show him too without the need for choke chains etc.
    There are plenty of other breeds far bigger and stronger than the ones you mentioned, so why single out those ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

It's all about respect and correct training. I walk 6 dogs and push a buggy every day and not a choke chain anywhere. And often I walk my neighbours dogs too so that's 8 dogs and a buggy.

I love this!! Good for you!

• Advertisement

8 dogs and a buggy.
    we need a pic of that :D

Quick mod note.

Theres no need to report Superfish`s post anymore.The user in question has been banned from the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

ur dead right andreac! I keep and show german shepherds quite annoyed with superfish's comment!!

Advertisement