Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Leaf anyone buying it?

Options
  • 07-01-2011 9:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭

I was thinking of buying the Nissan Leaf because of the Goverment grant.

But its €29,995 after Government incentive.... Was thinking of using it for urban travel, and it does 160Km on 1 charge.

But 30k is a lot of money, I know Tax and Fuel will be small.. but still it would be cheaper to get a regular 15K 2nd hand.

Its there any real incentive to buy the car? I suppose the Middle-Upper classes can afford it, but for the majority its pricey.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

As with any car, it depends what you're comparing it to. Any new car is going to be more expensive than a used one.;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

hsi wrote: »
    I was thinking of buying the Nissan Leaf because of the Goverment grant.

But its €29,995 after Government incentive.... Was thinking of using it for urban travel, and it does 160Km on 1 charge.

But 30k is a lot of money, I know Tax and Fuel will be small.. but still it would be cheaper to get a regular 15K 2nd hand.

Its there any real incentive to buy the car? I suppose the Middle-Upper classes can afford it, but for the majority its pricey.

I'd rather walk than buy one of those yokes.

You could buy this and have change. Carbon footprint my ars*

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Shane732 wrote: »

I think you're falling into the 'I like it so everyone else will too' trap there.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,300 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Its pricy for a car with very limited use. Sure its reasonable for a daily commute. What if you decide to go away for the weekend? You would have to plan you charging strategy to avoid being stranded.
    I do realise that it should be cheap to run but then again, its pricy, kinda ugly & if general opinion goes against this, its resale value might be hopeless. Given that the greens will be out of government, the electric car plan might fall away into the background.
    Even if a car with that kind of range was suitable for my needs, I wouldnt go for it at this time.
    There is also the whole other problem of getting people to change to a whole new type of driving experience & to many people who enjoy the actual driving part, that will be a stumbling block.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

:D:D. Some difference.

• Advertisement

Anan1 wrote: »
    I think you're falling into the 'I like it so everyone else will too' trap there.

Not at all. I simply went on to Carzone and moved a few sliders to get a car that was at least 3.0l and within the price range. It's the first one that came up. just a bonus that it's an Alfa!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,557 ✭✭✭maidhc

Well you will be walking with the Alfa anyway...:D:D

(I'm off now!)

-Corkie- wrote: »
    :D:D. Some difference.

It's funny that some people would actually go for the leaf.

What I'd love to do is give a Leaf to someone who loves them and tell them to drive to Cork, then pick up that Alfa and drive behind them and point and laugh when they run out of charge!!!

If you want an electric car go buy a Tesla - Zero Emission and 0 - 60 in sub 4 seconds!!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,737 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It would need the charging network before I would consider buying it even if I had millions to spare. Nissan should lease a couple of hundred of them out to people to get the presence on the road and get people talking about them.

If it had the electric and a smaller 500cc emergency engine which could be used it would be a better purchase, relying on the electric charging is a pain. Incentives like use of the bus lanes and free onstreet parking would make them a success.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

why??

and dont tell me its because of the carbon emissions because the last time i checked it takes a lot of carbon to make electricity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

why??

and dont tell me its because of the carbon emissions because the last time i checked it takes a lot of carbon to make electricity

not as much carbon as a petrol or diesel cars spouts out.....

cheap running costs on an eleccy car,

robtri wrote: »

how about when you factor in things like oil use in the machiens that produce the electricity?

What I'd love to do is give a Leaf to someone who loves them and tell them to drive to Cork, then pick up that Alfa and drive behind them and point and laugh when they run out of charge!!!

If you want an electric car go buy a Tesla - Zero Emission and 0 - 60 in sub 4 seconds!!

and the leaf owner will p*ss himslef laughing at you when you fill up the alfa all the time with petrol and the cost of it.......

and the petrol car owner will laugh at you when you need to replace one of those rechargable batterys..those things are silly money

and the leaf owner will p*ss himslef laughing at you when you fill up the alfa all the time with petrol and the cost of it.......

Yes possibly but Shane would get the last laugh when the Leaf driver collapses at junction 12 after dying from boredom..;)

how about when you factor in things like oil use in the machiens that produce the electricity?

why??? on a scale it probably less then equivlant amount of petrol or diesel cars...

elecctricity produced at our current generating stations is less polluting than car engines... producing the equivilant amout of energy
    thats a fact .....

Yes possibly but Shane would get the last laugh when the Leaf driver collapses at junction 12 after dying from boredom..;)

very true... very true..
    leaf not my cup of tea... but it has its advantages and appeals to a lot of people for whom cars are just modes of transport from a to b
    not everybody finds driving cars fun....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Miscreant

If it had the electric and a smaller 500cc emergency engine which could be used it would be a better purchase, relying on the electric charging is a pain. Incentives like use of the bus lanes and free onstreet parking would make them a success.

Would this make an Opel Ampera a better proposition than the Leaf then? If they come on stream at the same price I know which one I would get (if I had €30k to spare of course :p )

PMSL at that comment!

You think the Leaf would make it as far as junction 12?!! :p

and the petrol car owner will laugh at you when you need to replace one of those rechargable batterys..those things are silly money

iirc with the leaf u never own the batteries, they are on lease.. so if they die they will be replaced by Nissan

• Advertisement

PMSL at that comment!

I was being fair..:D

PMSL at that comment!

probably not, but the leaf driver would probably leave the leaf at home and get the train to cork.... and laugh at u in traffic.. :D

You think so? The Leaf owner will have to install a 220/240V 40 amp dedicated circuit to the switch box and PAY for the electricity to charge the piece of sh*t at home. Not to mention the cost of getting the thing towed every time it runs out of charge!

I'd happily pay €85 to fill the tank in the Alfa...

iirc with the leaf u never own the batteries, they are on lease.. so if they die they will be replaced by Nissan

I wasn't aware they actually went ahead with that idea in the end. Do you have to lease the batteries or is the cost included in the initial purchase?

You think so? The Leaf owner will have to install a 220/240V 40 amp dedicated circuit to the switch box and PAY for the electricity to charge the piece of sh*t at home. Not to mention the cost of getting the thing towed every time it runs out of charge!

I would be happier in the train. Only 50 euro return and free wifi to go on boards all the way!!

do you know how much it costs to charge the leaf???????

yeah cause no petrol car ever runs out of petrol and left stranded at the side of the road...
    under most normal driving conditions around cities, i.e commuting to work or shops or friends, would not likely discharge the car to empty.. charge it up over night for a couple of wuid and away they go again in the morning..
    whats the average mileage per annum 10,500 miles a year ( as per SEI) which is what roughly 30 miles a day.. sometheing the leaf can easily handle without running out of elleccy....

I wasn't aware they actually went ahead with that idea in the end. Do you have to lease the batteries or is the cost included in the initial purchase?

not 100% sure on how it actually works, all i remember is that they are under lease.. how the payment is set up i am not sure...

EDIT just checked.. cost included in price

and the ESB will install a charging point at your house for free for first 2000 customers

also here is charging cost at home
    €2 overnight / €20 per month / €232 annually
    * based on average annual 19,300km

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Oh come on now... they can pull in at one of our many motorway services to recharge.. oh right.

Actually I think the time for the return of the electric car is firmly upon us.
    However I think the leaf is much too ugly for a company to seriously consider selling, I really wouldn't like to own one.
    In fact I think it would annoy me to have to drive it because its so ugly, and because it draws attention to itself for all the wrong reasons. Its a bit tacky, like green bling. I dislike the fake planet saving message that the manufacturers are using to sell these cars, particularly because they will mainly appeal to city dwellers with public transport so its really just not green.

I would also consider it akin to a first gen iPod, the ones that come after it will be better in every way and cost considerably less. Of course the first gen iPod came with a free leather case and wall charger whereas now you get bugger all.

I have few objections to electric cars, with any luck an inductive charging loop will be added to motorways so they can travel intercity via an invisible pantograph. This would reduce the weight of batteries required. So range anxiety assuaged, my main gripe would be that of driving enjoyment, I mean if we can't row our own gears and listen to engine notes then all thats left is to drive ridiculously fast on enjoyable roads, something that they will be adept at.. but now we can't do that either because of all those pesky speed vans and boring boring motorways. So I think they will be very fast but very very boring.

Certainly the leaf is the vanguard of a new motoring era, but describing it in such terms disguises that its really just a car for early adopters. Those pawns who we like to sacrifice at the alter of progress. Step aside please, and let those brave green warriors through.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

proof please. Last time I checked all the coal and oil used to make our electricity arrived here in Very Large Boats..........that run on diesel.

And, unless you have 30k lying around in cash, you'll be borrowing the money. Add interest on 30k, instead of a 12k car, and there's nothing cheap about an electric car.

I like the principle, but in the Real World, and with our very expensive electricity, it has a long, long way to go before the number's make sense.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭whippet

All well and good until you have it charging in your drive way one night and a little scrote waking home from the pub takes the plug out and you end up running out of charge at the end of the driveway!

Advertisement