Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why Are Religions Tax-Exempt?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Rural ireland in the 80s is nothing at all like the Ireland of today which is what we're talking about.

It's not. But the Catholic Church has changed very little since then.

The atheists in the country are more than allowed to voice their opinion as I highly doubt you've typed out all your posts in fear of being prosecuted.

And atheists are not the only ones who blaspheme.

The point with this however, is not that people will not be prosecuted for blasphemy, but the that they can be.

It's the principal that counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Rural ireland in the 80s is nothing at all like the Ireland of today which is what we're talking about.
    You brought up the example of your Catholic school so I gave an alternative Catholic school, maybe even a more common type of Catholic school. The only reason it's not like that has nothing to do with the church and everything to do with the state bringing in laws to prevent it. The Catholic church would be more than happy to go back to a 1960s education system.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

And atheists are not the only ones who blaspheme.

The point with this however, is not that people will not be prosecuted for blasphemy, but the that they can be.

It's the principal that counts.
    They aren't the only ones who blaspheme but they're the main group who would be breaking the law. In any case the blasphemy law has been done to death on AH and isn't relevant to the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Yeah really.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/xx.html

World population: 6,768,181,146
    % Christians: 33.32%
    Christians: 2255157958

The cia didn't go and canvas people they either got by the churches records or the cenus of countries and both are known to be incorrect.

ScumLord wrote: »
    You brought up the example of your Catholic school so I gave an alternative Catholic school, maybe even a more common type of Catholic school. The only reason it's not like that has nothing to do with the church and everything to do with the state bringing in laws to prevent it. The Catholic church would be more than happy to go back to a 1960s education system.
    I don't get your point. The Catholic Church's ideal world would be one where everyone was Catholic and that's natural considering they believe that all non-Catholics risk going to hell. Ireland of the 1960s' population would have been all for closer links between state and religion yet the people Ireland of today are more inclined for the seperation of Church and state.

• Advertisement

Thaedydal wrote: »
    The cia didn't go and canvas people they either got by the churches records or the cenus of countries and both are known to be incorrect.
    Prove they are incorrect. I am quite sure that the CIA of all people would be much more knowledgeable on world demographics than either you or I.

I don't get your point. The Catholic Church's ideal world would be one where everyone was Catholic and that's natural considering they believe that all non-Catholics risk going to hell. Ireland of the 1960s' population would have been all for closer links between state and religion yet the people Ireland of today are more inclined for the seperation of Church and state.
    The Catholic church didn't change, they were forced to, if they had their way nothing would have changed and they'd still be beating, brainwashing and abusing children willy nilly.

Prove they are incorrect. I am quite sure that the CIA of all people would be much more knowledgeable on world demographics than either you or I.

The roman catholic church refuses to edit thier numbers when people leave or defect and the cenus is filled out per house hold so Mammy/Daddy fill it out even if thier adult children do not want to be out down as christain/catholic.

The Catholic church didn't change, they were forced to, if they had their way nothing would have changed and they'd still be beating, brainwashing and abusing children willy nilly.
    Certain members of the Catholic Church of Ireland were corrupt and evil. Let's say it was found that of Google's staff 10% of them were part time heroin dealers. Does that mean that Google advocates the sale of heroin? No it doesn't. The same applies for the Catholic church.

Certain members of the Catholic Church of Ireland were corrupt and evil. Let's say it was found that of Google's staff 10% of them were part time heroin dealers. Does that mean that Google advocates the sale of heroin? No it doesn't. The same applies for the Catholic church.
    If that 10% where the top controlling 10% then it would be an issue as that filters on down the chain. I'm not accusing Catholics themselves of anything I'm aiming everything directly at it's heads.

• Advertisement

The roman catholic church refuses to edit thier numbers when people leave or defect and the cenus is filled out per house hold so Mammy/Daddy fill it out even if thier adult children do not want to be out down as christain/catholic.
    A state of just under 5 million people do not affect world demographics. Even so, if you have any actual proof for your claims feel free to inform the CIA, they'd be very pleased to know that they were proven wrong by random people on the internet.

If that 10% where the top controlling 10% then it would be an issue as that filters on down the chain. I'm not accusing Catholics themselves of anything I'm aiming everything directly at it's heads.
    Yes there may have been a few of those 10% high in the chain of authority but the majority were at the bottom of the chain. All were equally as bad as each other. You can attack them as they do not truly represent their organisation but there is no valid reason to attack the organisation.

Pope Ratface knew about it, was complict in covering it up, game over.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Lauder

Who gets the money the church raises? Surely we could put it to better uses?

You could say the same about donations to StVdeP, GAh, FAI, IRFU, Salvation Army etc.. and the churches (CoI, Rome and others) provide a great service to the community and while all also have their flaws, but the positives far outweigh the negatives. People who donate to the church do so of their own free will in the understanding that the churches will continue to provide their services to the community at large. Therefore, like charities and sports clubs are tax exempt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Some atheists and some agnostics seem very unhappy these days, always complaining.
    Just a normal day for this frustrated group who feel they need to bash religion.
    To clarify, not saying saying all atheists or all agnostics.

Pope Ratface knew about it, was complict in covering it up, game over.
    What's with your vendetta? More importantly what does any of this have to do with this thread? The Catholic Church and whatever happened with in it have been discussed hundreds of times on AH in far more relevant threads.

In any case, an organisation that is many centuries old cannot be completely tainted by the actions of a few corrupt.

Min wrote: »
    Some atheists and some agnostics seem very unhappy these days, always complaining.
    Just a normal day for this frustrated group who feel they need to bash religion.
    To clarify, not saying saying all atheists or all agnostics.

I am not an atheist or an agnostic.
    What's with your vendetta? More importantly what does any of this have to do with this thread? The Catholic Church and whatever happened with in it have been discussed hundreds of times on AH in far more relevant threads.

Money from tax exemptions went to pay the wages of pedo priest who were also moved around from parish to parish and country to country usin that money.

The tax exemptions re religion in this country are written in such a manner that only certain established christian churches can avail of them.
    In any case, an organisation that is many centuries old cannot be completely tainted by the actions of a few corrupt.

Dude you sooo need to do some reading on the history of the RC church and it's corrupt popes.

Money from tax exemptions went to pay the wages of pedo priest who were also moved around from parish to parish and country to country usin that money.
    And 99% of the money went towards legitimate purposes. What's your point?
    The tax exemptions re religion in this country are written in such a manner that only certain established christian churches can avail of them.
    No they're not. Have you even seen the list of tax exempt charities in this country or are you just making things up to suit your agenda? It seems to be so.

I'll give you a quick few examples
    18368 - Hindu Cultural Centre Ireland Limited
    18795 - Longford Islamic Centre Limited
    13981 - Kagyu Buddhism Ireland
    14190 - Jewish Representative Council of Ireland
    There are plenty more examples of each.
    Dude you sooo need to do some reading on the history of the RC church and it's corrupt popes.
    Oh I have. I just read it sans a blinding vendetta and that's made quite the difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭RockinRolla

And 99% of the money went towards legitimate purposes. What's your point?

No they're not. Have you even seen the list of tax exempt charities in this country or are you just making things up to suit your agenda? It seems to be so.

Oh I have. I just read it sans a blinding vendetta and that's made quite the difference.

Whats your deal with defending religion. Has nobody told you yet?

...it's not real. :rolleyes:

ok then if you want to come at it from that angle what is the charity number for the roman catholic church?

Why are vestments for the RC tax exempt and the same with white candles and the same with the wine brands for RC mass and there is not an equalvant for other religions.

• Advertisement

Religion isn't real? You do understand what religion actually means right? It'd be an awful shame to be so anti-religion despite not even understanding the meaning of the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

So basically, churches are exempt from tax because their followers believe in wizards, magic and fairy dust.

ok then if you want to come at it from that angle what is the charity number for the roman catholic church?
    There is no such single legal entity called the Roman Catholic Church in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Craebear

Yeah really.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/xx.html

World population: 6,768,181,146
    % Christians: 33.32%
    Christians: 2255157958

/facedesk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

Most people consider themselves to be catholic. They go to church occasionally and all. Bigger point is most people will not agree to the church being taxed.

It is sorta funny though why most people consider themselves to be christian when they do little that a christian is supposed to.

Doubt that. As I mentioned, most people still consider themselves to be christian catholic even though they barely follow catholicism.
    The atheists/agnostics still have a long way to go before they get anywhere near the majority population.
    Most people consider themselves catholic? I think you're in for a big surprise mate.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

There are 2.2 Billion Christians around the world and the Catholic Church is the biggest Church on the planet with over a billion adherents. .

Does this include the Mammy Effect and people who don't believe half of it but call themselves catholic anyway? What about the fact you can't leave the church now - how many atheists or adherents to other religions is this number including?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Most people consider themselves catholic? I think you're in for a big surprise mate.

I think the census will show it to be over 50% Catholic...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

I'm fairly sure religions exist.
    Min wrote: »
    I think the census will show it to be over 50% Catholic...

I'd say it's more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,485 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

So what the difference between Scientology and RCC that allows the RCC to be tax exempt but not the Scientologists?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

So what the difference between Scientology and RCC that allows the RCC to be tax exempt but not the Scientologists?

Scientologists dress in black and go around telling people what to do, whereas...priests... More drink!

Advertisement