Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why Are Religions Tax-Exempt?

Options
  • 05-01-2011 10:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭

Who gets the money the church raises? Surely we could put it to better uses?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

The people who give money to the church give it to the Church. It's not for you to decide what use it is put to. The money goes to the running of the church and affiliated charities.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

The church? and all the people who work in there...

Would you rather have churches being exempt from tax or banks being exempt from tax??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭RockinRolla

The people who give money to the church give it to the Church. It's not for you to decide what use it is put to. The money goes to the running of the church and affiliated charities.

Yes, we should take all the churches money except their charity fundraising. ALL OF IT.
    The church? and all the people who work in there...
    Would you rather have churches being exempt from tax or banks being exempt from tax??

Who said anything about banks?

There are banks and rich folks who get away without paying taxes. Their sum adds up to much more than the church makes. Also the church isn't a business. It works as a charity and charities are exempt from taxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

Yes, we should take all the churches money except their charity fundraising. ALL OF IT.

Even the wages of the people working for the church?

• Advertisement

Yes, we should take all the churches money except their charity fundraising.

So, how do you propose the Churches run themselves?

Trolls these days...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

There are banks and rich folks who get away without paying taxes. Their sum adds up to much more than the church makes. Also the church isn't a business. It works as a charity and charities are exempt from taxes.

No - it's an evil multinational corporation.

So, how do you propose the Churches run themselves?

Off the edge of a cliff, would be a good start.

Its providing a service to the people. Whatever the people give to the church, they give it out of their own free will.

It doesn't work like a bank or McDonalds where you can't get the service if you don't pay for it.

Eh, what Church are you talking about exactly? Or is this just the typical old random "I hate religion!11!!1" rubbish that's always being posted on AH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Their sum adds up to much more than the church makes. Also the church isn't a business. It works as a charity and charities are exempt from taxes.

oh right, so is that why the Vatican is the richest state in the world then is it? Cos they're so charitable and generous?

FFS sake the church didn't even pay out for all its abuse victims, only ~120m of a 1bn+ bill (so far).

Generous to a tee. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The church put a fictitious name on the returns to dodge it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

Eh, what Church are you talking about exactly? Or is this just the typical old random "I hate religion!11!!1" rubbish that's always being posted on AH.

Ha ha Starbelgrade. You're in trouble now you old church basher you. :)

Eh, what Church are you talking about exactly?

All of them.

oh right, so is that why the Vatican is the richest state in the world then is it? Cos they're so charitable and generous?

FFS sake the church didn't even pay out for all the abuse victims, only ~120m of a 1bn+ bill (so far).

Generous to a tee. :rolleyes:

I'm not defending the church here. Not saying what it does is right.
    I'm only saying the church is an important institution for many people in the country and it works as a charity. As long as Ireland remains a catholic state and recognises the church as a charitable organisation rather than a business, the church will remain exempt from taxes.

Sure the vatican got rich by plundering other nations. But that's a different story.

More importantly there are many wealthy people and organisations who are getting away without paying any taxes. You should target them first before targeting the church for being exempt from taxes.

The tax revenue from the church would be negligible compared to what the country would get if everyone paid their taxes properly, especially the wealthy corporations and the rich people who belong to them.

All of them.
    All churches are evil multinational corporations?

I bet you'd make a fortune if you reported every church around the globe for tax evasion.

As long as Ireland remains a catholic state and recognises the church as a charitable organisation rather than a business, the church will remain exempt from taxes.
    It's not really a Catholic country though. Most Irish people are lapse Catholics and if Catholic rules were imposed strictly the vast majority would leave the church at the moment their Catholic in nothing but name.

All churches are evil multinational corporations?

No.

Some of them aren't multinational.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

ScumLord wrote: »
    It's not really a Catholic country though. Most Irish people are lapse Catholics and if Catholic rules were imposed strictly the vast majority would leave the church at the moment their Catholic in nothing but name.

Indeed, hopefully the census this year might finally and fully show this and we can separate the church from the state once and for all.

Most people consider themselves to be catholic. They go to church occasionally and all. Bigger point is most people will not agree to the church being taxed.

It is sorta funny though why most people consider themselves to be christian when they do little that a christian is supposed to.
    Indeed, hopefully the census this year might finally and fully show this and we can separate the church from the state once and for all.
    Doubt that. As I mentioned, most people still consider themselves to be christian catholic even though they barely follow catholicism.
    The atheists/agnostics still have a long way to go before they get anywhere near the majority population.

• Advertisement

Bigger point is most people will not agree to the church being taxed.
    Has the public been asked? I think many would like to see it taxed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭RockinRolla

Most people consider themselves to be catholic. They go to church occasionally and all. Bigger point is most people will not agree to the church being taxed.

It is sorta funny though why most people consider themselves to be christian when they do little that a christian is supposed to.

Doubt that. As I mentioned, most people still consider themselves to be christian catholic even though they barely follow catholicism.
    The atheists still have a way to go before they get anywhere near the majority population.

I'd recon most people would be in favour of taxing the church. Reap some of that 80odd billion back in no time at all.

Thank fcuk my church is starting on BBC1 soon.

I will pray for 3 points.

Kasabian wrote: »
    Thank fcuk my church is starting on BBC1 soon.

I will pray for 3 points.

If you support Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal or Man City, you need to pray harder.

Only way to find that out is to try bringing in a bill to tax the church and see the public reaction to it. I'll assure you there will be plenty of opposition to that and even you know that.

Boards.ie doesn't really accurately represent the demographics of Ireland.

If you support Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal or Man City, you need to pray harder.

fcuk you :P I am a real supporter.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

The atheists/agnostics still have a long way to go before they get anywhere near the majority population.

Given the state of the economy most people will agree to taxes that aren't taxing themselves.

You cannot tax a non-profit entity that relies almost entirely on donations. Just because you personally think the church should be taxed doesn't mean that it should.

Given the state of the economy most people will agree to taxes that aren't taxing themselves.

As I mentioned, its much more important to make sure all the wealthy/elite and their corporations pay their taxes properly first before you get to the church. Their sum in taxes is much larger than what the church would have.

• Advertisement

Only way to find that out is to try bringing in a bill to tax the church and see the public reaction to it. I'll assure you there will be plenty of opposition to that and even you know that.

Boards.ie doesn't really accurately represent the demographics of Ireland.
    Perhaps not but the tide has turned I think and while I'm sure there would be a very vocal subsection of Ireland that would complain and many more who would agree with them publicly under pressure from mammy things might be different in a private poll.
    You cannot tax a non-profit entity that relies almost entirely on donations. Just because you personally think the church should be taxed doesn't mean that it should.
    I wouldn't consider the church non-profit, they display their profit all over the world.

Advertisement