Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why Are Religions Tax-Exempt?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

As I mentioned, its much more important to make sure all the wealthy/elite and their corporations pay their taxes properly first before you get to the church. Their sum in taxes is much larger than what the church would have.

I prefer to lump the church in their with the wealthy. I know of no priest that lives the life of poverty they swore an oath to. All have a warm house, plenty of clothing, plenty of food, cars, TV's and most other comforts.

They are employee's and should be taxed as such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

Every church should have any money they receive taxed at 99%, then eventually they will go away and free people to live.

I was raised a Catholic, raised in fear of a load of bolloxology.

Catholic religion is destructive in the moulding of young imrpressionable minds and i am not talking about it's problems with molestation, I am talking about the engrained guilt it imposes on people and in doing so doesn't allow people to live properly.
    I am around a few years and i still have to check myself when that guilt tweaks my brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,485 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

You cannot tax a non-profit entity that relies almost entirely on donations. .

why not?

It has earnings in the form of collections
    it has expenses like wages and sweeties for luring children
    it has capital costs, like the roof expense (that every church always seems to have)
    and it has the dividend to Rome

sounds like a taxable service business to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

You cannot tax a non-profit entity that relies almost entirely on donations. Just because you personally think the church should be taxed doesn't mean that it should.

You can tax anything if the government of the day pass a bill to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

I prefer to lump the church in their with the wealthy. I know of no priest that lives the life of poverty they swore an oath to. All have a warm house, plenty of clothing, plenty of food, cars, TV's and most other comforts.

But, they are taxed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

ScumLord wrote: »
    I wouldn't consider the church non-profit, they display their profit all over the world.
    "The Church". What is "The Church"? I don't see how they display their profit all over the world, they aren't selling anything to anyone. Their only income is through voluntary donations.

They are taxed...

But wait, keep going on with your uninformed rants like everyone else, it's entertaining at least.

"The Church". What is "The Church"? I don't see how they display their profit all over the world, they aren't selling anything to anyone. Their only income is through voluntary donations.

or not in fact
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_tax

"The Church". What is "The Church"? I don't see how they display their profit all over the world, they aren't selling anything to anyone.

Yes they are & always have done.. redemption & the promise of an afterlife.

They could sell sand to the Arabs.

If the Arabs weren't Muslim, that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

when i lived in Germany i had to pay church as in because i was catholic the Gov taxed me and gave it to the church :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

It has been a well known fact that religions,(Christianity in particular) have been opposed to tax for THOUSANDS of years now!

(especially since Jesus was hammered with them in Jerusalem!)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

WIZE wrote: »
    when i lived in Germany i had to pay church as in because i was catholic the Gov taxed me and gave it to the church :eek:

Yep, tithing is srs bzns
    No "ah yeah I don't believe any of it but I'm still catholic"

Gucky wrote: »
    It has been a well known fact that religions,(Christianity in particular) have been opposed to tax for THOUSANDS of years now!

(especially since Jesus was hammered with them in Jerusalem!)

I thought Jesus was hammered with nails.

Gucky wrote: »

then why do they catholic church derive most of their income from it if they are so agin it?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

They are selling things like mass cards (€10 a pop last I heard), mass itself, I'm sure there are other things too like weddings and funerals..

They display there wealth in their churches which aren't cheap not even the new ones. Our local priest drove a brand new Audi, fair enough he seems to be an exception but he flaunted his wealth like I've never seen a priest do before him.

Irrelevant to the discussion. We're talking about the situation in Ireland.
    I don't see how they're "selling" anything. They are offering a place for a community of people to pray and practice their religion. Even so, they don't profit from any of this so long as the churchgoer doesn't make a donation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Tbh, I don't believe in organised religion so I couldn't care less if the Church was taxed.

I just say any charitable organisation shouldn't be taxed as they work on donations, not on sales.

Its like if you give your kid 100eur to spend as a gift, do you expect your kid to pay a tax on those 100eur?
    Same principle.

I think this goes back to WW2 when the Catholic church recieved money to turn a blind eye to genocide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Kasabian wrote: »
    Every church should have any money they receive taxed at 99%, then eventually they will go away and free people to live.

I was raised a Catholic, raised in fear of a load of bolloxology.

Catholic religion is destructive in the moulding of young imrpressionable minds and i am not talking about it's problems with molestation, I am talking about the engrained guilt it imposes on people and in doing so doesn't allow people to live properly.
    I am around a few years and i still have to check myself when that guilt tweaks my brain.

People dont need to be ''freed'' they are part of the church entirely of their own free will. (In ireland that is)

They could sell sand to the Arabs.

If the Arabs weren't Muslim, that is.

They do not sell the promise of an afterlife, the members of the church believe in the afterlife and the church ideas do not change depending on how much someone pays to them. Not since the reformation anyway.

You could have declared that you were no longer a member of the Catholic church & you wouldn't have had to pay it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

People dont need to be ''freed'' they are part of the church entirely of their own free will. (In ireland that is)
    Brainwashing children isn't free will.

They are selling things like mass cards (€10 a pop last I heard), mass itself, I'm sure there are other things too like weddings and funerals..
    Never heard of them. I amn't a Catholic but even so these "mass cards" must have some purpose i.e. raising funds for the running of the church
    They display there wealth in their churches which aren't cheap not even the new ones. Our local priest drove a brand new Audi, fair enough he seems to be an exception but he flaunted his wealth like I've never seen a priest do before him.
    You aren't seeing it from their perspective. They see a church as a house of god (Most denominations do at least) and they see that it must be made as such. Your local priest isn't "the church" though. He may have been saving up for the new car since he was young, he may have took out a car loan. Either way, one person doesn't define an entire entity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Kasabian wrote: »
    I think this goes back to WW2 when the Catholic church recieved money to turn a blind eye to genocide.

No , the law is from 1919. Long before Hitler.

But don't let facts get in the way of a good godwin.

Irrelevant to the discussion. We're talking about the situation in Ireland.

well your post did say "all over the world" in it...
    and Ireland is just a subsidiary of the main organisation head quartered elsewhere in the world too...

But if you want to restrict it to Ireland they use a combination of guilt and fear to extort money out of naive people, just like any cult does.

yep . and the problem was you could only get out of it by getting a letter from a priest to say you are no longer a catholic

i think the tax was 5 euro a month
    multiple that by 10s of millions of catholics in germany and its some revenue

Brainwashing children isn't free will.
    Who's brainwashing anyone? Parents send their children to school and if they choose not for their children to receive an education in religion then they can be excused from all religious classes. The parents choose what they think is best for their children and they exercise their own free will on behalf of their children.

not really, you become part of the church due to your parents actions (generally: ie baptism) and actually have to go to a reasonable amount of effort to make it clear you no longer wish to be a part of it after that.
    If it was free will alone than you should not be baptised or given communion until 18 when you are legally old enough to be an adult and legally entitled to make your own decisions for yourself.

You could have declared that you were no longer a member of the Catholic church & you wouldn't have had to pay it.
    not that easy

Really! How many kids do you see protesting as the water is poured over their heads or when they get roped in with the communion and confirmation money, by this age the church has left it's impression

Your post is bollix

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

then why do they catholic church derive most of their income from it if they are so agin it?

Pardon the pun, but it was a joke for Christs sake!

Advertisement